ADVERTISEMENT

Addison leaving???

This is what I wrote on April 5th:

It seems to me that when a player enters the transfer program it is either to get more playing time somewhere or moving up to a more successful program. For example, if Temple has an outstanding lineman that was over looked during the recruiting process, he could enter the transfer. Do teams that are likely to go to major bowls like Ohio State, Auburn, SEC teams, etc. have a better shot than Pitt? Would Donald have stayed at Pitt or gone to ND or Alabama if the transfer rule was in place years ago? The same can be true for basketball players who want to jump ship to become part of a winning program that could be a tournament team. Watching the NCAA bb tourney, the announcers often mentioned that a certain player was a transfer from...

Reactions: HailToPitt725
It seems to me that when a player enters the transfer program it is either to get more playing time somewhere or moving up to a more successful program. For example, if Temple has an outstanding lineman that was over looked during the recruiting process, he could enter the transfer. Do teams that are likely to go to major bowls like Ohio State, Auburn, SEC teams, etc. have a better shot than Pitt? Would Donald have stayed at Pitt or gone to ND or Alabama if the transfer rule was in place years ago? The same can be true for basketball players who want to jump ship to become part of a winning program that could be a tournament team. Watching the NCAA bb tourney, the announcers often mentioned that a certain player was a transfer from...

If Addison is waiting for a better deal from Pitt, then he may as well transfer now.

Yes, he's doing what's in his best interest and good for him. But the fans will not feel the same about him. Just stating a fact, right or wrong...

Reactions: Dewey Eye
Seriously, let Addison jump. He's one player, nothing more. He's not worth it if he wants to quit and take some money from the highest bidder. He's not worth the time it takes to think about him. He's just a dumb kid who has no sense of commitment or values.
If he is not worth the time to think about...you sure are thinking about him. You question his intelligence and values without knowing him personally or his economic situation. If you or a loved one wanted to cash in on a lottery ticket you worked your ass for you would take it and not look back. Pat yourself on the back for your righteousness,

My question exactly. Do they just pretend that he enters the portal, and lucks into an NIL deal somewhere after the fact?
He will work out a deal through his “representation”, then he will enter the portal and transfer immediately.

If he is not worth the time to think about...you sure are thinking about him. You question his intelligence and values without knowing him personally or his economic situation. If you or a loved one wanted to cash in on a lottery ticket you worked your ass for you would take it and not look back. Pat yourself on the back for your righteousness,
He’s already getting paid by being at Pitt. He had one more season and he’ll be getting paid millions in the NFL as a first or second rounder.

Welp. This sucks. But it's the new world. Pitt donors better come up with something for the future. Doubt that will happen though.

Tbh. As much as Addison has accomplished at Pitt, it's really disappointing to see that he already hasn't been shown some love that at least approaches $1 mil. Not cool & not a good look imo.

If that's the case, the NCAA should be blown up along with collegiate sports. And that would be a good thing at this stage of the degeneration of college sports.
That ND athletic director’s prediction might not be too far off. The blue bloods will go and start their own super league while everyone else plays by the rules.

Most of these donors are peons compared to Tepper. Too bad he's not interested in being Pitt's bag man. Now that he is an NFL owner, probably couldn't even if he wanted, sure the league would frown on that.

That ND athletic director’s prediction might not be too far off. The blue bloods will go and start their own super league while everyone else plays by the rules.
Bringing on sooner rather than later so Pitt can be in a league with teams it can compete with.

He’s already getting paid by being at Pitt. He had one more season and he’ll be getting paid millions in the NFL as a first or second rounder.
Players transfer everywhere for any reason. NIL is now another reason. When it is one of your best players we hate the system more than when the little used backup transfers. If programs like Pitt lose their best established players after a couple years, you clench your teeth and move on or you pony up what they can get elsewhere.

If I can make a half a million this year, why should I wait til next year to peddle my talents. Loyalty is rare in athletics when it comes to money, at any level.

No use. If Pitt finds a way to step up and pay 50k the big boys will pay 100k. If Pitt pays 125k the big boys will pay 200k. Only way this can be controlled is make transfers sit a year. Make exceptions were it clear there is no nil involved. Otherwise it's over for all but the top 25 or so schools. Championships will primarily go to the highest bidder. Funny thing is eventually this is going to lead to college football losing in the long run. Right now I watch Pitt and then a game or two that I find interesting this continues and I will just stop watching and so will many others. Ratings will fall and the nil money will fall off as there will only be 25 teams competing for talent instead of 60 or 70

My question exactly. Do they just pretend that he enters the portal, and lucks into an NIL deal somewhere after the fact?
I don't understand how its not tampering or how an amateur player is allowed to negotiate NIL deals with another school before entering the portal

I don't understand how its not tampering or how an amateur player is allowed to negotiate NIL deals with another school before entering the portal
So what is the penalty? How is it enforced? What is the punishment? Who is dishing it out? How long before the punishment is levied?

So what is the penalty? How is it enforced? What is the punishment? Who is dishing it out? How long before the punishment is levied?
No penalty. It won't be enforced. No one is dishing it out. There won't be a punishment. Pitt is officially a feeder program.

No penalty. It won't be enforced. No one is dishing it out. There won't be a punishment. Pitt is officially a feeder program.
Exactly. I keep seeing tweets like "pitt should sue." "Usc tampered." Ok....wake me up when that actually happens

Correct but it should be:

- player ineligble for 1 season
- team ineligible for post-season

Recruiting another a player on another team is as bad as it gets

This will be the way of the collegiate athletics world going forward unless congress gets involved. It is open season and total free agency. I believe this will lead to the death of eligibility limitations. When someone is earning 6-7 figures, how can you restrain someone's ability to earn that type of money just just because they've flunked a completely unrelated english lit test or have played some arbitrary number of years that doesn't even match the actual average college experience? At some point you have to wonder if the NFL feathers start to get ruffled if it gets bad enough players start turning down the NFL to stay "in school."

Miami is already buying players and recruits right and left. Oklahoma is giving every football player a minimum 50K. Southern and Texas schools are going to go nuts with this. It won't just be transfers, but every ranked recruit. I can see in the not too distant future where you are going to need $50m to 100m or a year in a NIL warchest just to run a competitive athletic department. This is even trickling down already to women's basketball and other sports.

Pitt currently does not have enough big money athletic donors to match these types of deals. It is very likely to lose every similar major star player in football and basketball going forward, if they don't leave for the NFL/NBA anyway. People with Tepper-type money, that have any interest in seeing Pitt compete at a national level, really needs to get involved in the 412 Alliance in a significant way. Frankly, booster money has to stop going to the athletic department, and it needs to go to an outside NIL organizations. Funding scholarships and new carpeting in locker rooms at this point is, well, pointless in the scheme of things when recruits that haven't played a down are earning 6 figures and transfers are being bought for 7 figure deals. Unfortunately, I just don't think there are enough people with that type of money that are that interested in Pitt. And in a pro city, if you aren't able to compete at a high level, you are in trouble.

Last edited:
This will be the way of the collegiate athletics world going forward unless congress gets involved. It is open season and total free agency. I believe this will lead to the death of eligibility limitations. When someone is earning 6-7 figures, how can you restrain someone's ability to earn that type of money just just because they've flunked a completely unrelated english lit test or have played some arbitrary number of years that doesn't even match the actual average college experience? At some point you have to wonder if the NFL feathers start to get ruffled if it gets bad enough players start turning down the NFL to stay "in school."

Miami is already buying players and recruits right and left. Oklahoma is giving every football player a minimum 50K. Southern and Texas schools are going to go nuts with this. It won't just be transfers, but every ranked recruit. I can see in the not to distant future where you are going to need $50m to 100m or a year in a NIL warchest just to run a competitive athletic department. This is even trickling down already to women's basketball and other sports.

Pitt currently does not have enough big money athletic donors to match these types of deals. It is very likely to lose every similar major star player in football and basketball going forward, if they don't leave for the NFL/NBA anyway. People with Tepper-type money, that have any interest in seeing Pitt compete at a national level, really needs to get involved in the 412 Alliance in a significant way. Frankly, booster money has to stop going to the athletic department, and it needs to go to the outside NIL organizations. Funding scholarships and new carpeting in locker rooms at this point is, well, pointless in the scheme of things when players are being bought for 7 figure deals. Unfortunately, I just don't think there are enough people with that type of money that are that interested. And in a pro city, if you aren't able to compete at a high level, you are in trouble.
Wow, Paco sounds a million percent like me, even down to the new locker room carpeting.

As for Tepper, I saw he was like the 120th richest person in the world. Its ashame he donates so little.

Wow, Paco sounds a million percent like me, even down to the new locker room carpeting.

As for Tepper, I saw he was like the 120th richest person in the world. Its ashame he donates so little.
He has donated millions to Pitt.

Hopefully this puts an end to the dumb "we need a on-campus stadium" BS. What we need is on-campus stadium money put into an NIL warchest.

Miami is already buying players and recruits right and left. Oklahoma is giving every football player a minimum 50K. Southern and Texas schools are going to go nuts with this. It won't just be transfers, but every ranked recruit. I can see in the not too distant future where you are going to need $50m to 100m or a year in a NIL warchest just to run a competitive athletic department. This is even trickling down already to women's basketball and other sports.

Pitt currently does not have enough big money athletic donors to match these types of deals. It is very likely to lose every similar major star player in football and basketball going forward, if they don't leave for the NFL/NBA anyway. People with Tepper-type money, that have any interest in seeing Pitt compete at a national level, really needs to get involved in the 412 Alliance in a significant way. Frankly, booster money has to stop going to the athletic department, and it needs to go to an outside NIL organizations Funding scholarships and new carpeting in locker rooms at this point is, well, pointless in the scheme of things when recruits that haven't played a down are earning 6 figures and transfers are being bought for 7 figure deals. Unfortunately, I just don't think there are enough people with that type of money that are that interested in Pitt. And in a pro city, if you aren't able to compete at a high level, you are in trouble.
Here’s a question: if this dystopian viewpoint becomes a reality, do schools like Pitt prioritize basketball since it’d take less money to stay competitive due to smaller roster sizes?

5% and that's modest

I dont want to criticize a guy who gave $20 million but the game has changed. No longer do you have to spend on facilities, trainers, locker rooms, pool tables, etc. You have to create a salary pool. Hopefully we can redirect some of that money. Not matching an offer for Addison is irresponsible and ANOTHER knock against Heather. I mean I said back then the money should go to player salaries. I said that. Me. How does an AD not know that? I get it, she wants to meet fundraising goals to put on her resume but we dont need to do that anymore. From now on, $$$$ is the name of the game for these players
Maybe…but that doesn’t make it right.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT