ADVERTISEMENT

Addison to USC, possibly $3.5 million a year

The 21st pick in the draft has a contract for $3.498 million per year, Kenny I don't believe has signed his yet. So if Addison is getting $3.5million exactly that puts him right around 20th pick value.
they get a bonus as well. i think kenny's is aroud $5m but he point stands.
The link I saw had the 11th pick getting under $3.5 million. So its the 20th? Whatever. I think we all understand that Addison should not be making 1st Round salary money for his MARKETING rights.

it's not. that's why this is unsustainable. whoever is giving him $3.5m is funding the USC payroll for almost zero ROI outside of ego. are these, "donors," going to do this every year? really rich guys aren't known for throwing away money year after year. especially to watch a kid play football.

it's not. that's why this is unsustainable. whoever is giving him $3.5m is funding the USC payroll for almost zero ROI outside of ego. are these, "donors," going to do this every year? really rich guys aren't known for throwing away money year after year. especially to watch a kid play football.
I’m assuming the QB had his own sweet deal, but If I’m one of their OL (the grunts who give the QB the time to throw to him) or the TE or other receivers (that occupy some of the defenders in order that he’s not always double and triple teamed), and they are getting “nil” as far as payment, there is going to be some disgruntlement. Not just in this particular situation but all teams, at some time or another. Someone glib here will say the skill players always get the glory, but in true pro sports, those other players are at least getting paid something close to what these guys will be making with NIL. It will take some really selfless guys to happily go along with such disparity.

A good starting point is allowing players to enter the NFL draft earlier. The 3 years removed rule needs to be reduced.
Agree but that's not happening as it's a NFL/NFL players association thing. NFL players like the rule as it leaves more spots for veterans and NFL teams like that they get a free farm system.

the whole thing is just depressing. i'm not bothering to be rational about all of this. it just sucks.

Typically when a kid transfers I wish them luck. But not this time. It really rubs me the wrong way.
You'd have to question JA's intellect or sanity if he didn't take it.

agGd3qr_460s.jpg

Reactions: 303vND and Ski11585
I agree - I don’t wish JA any harm, but I am rooting against Riley and USC.
The rest of the world outside of the relatively small USC fan and alum base will be right there with you. And that won't matter a bit to Riley or Trojan nation.

I live in the real world. Nobody is going to offer me 3.5 mil for what I do. They offered me that $ because I have proven myself as a SME in transportation and built a good reputation for myself in my area. I don't have to go on in and be a dickhead and tell my boss shove it I got a better job elsewhere. I know because I do my job well and have built a good rep through my job history that someday I will be the boss. I don't need that to happen tomorrow. I have patience and trust in my abilities and proven history that it will happen.
And if you blow a knee tomorrow you'd still have your job and income.

Your position on this is beyond ridiculous. Calling a 20 year old kid disloyal for taking advantage of the market and an opportunity to improve his life forever. Comparing turning down a 40k/year raise to stay at a job you've presumably had for decades to a 20 year old leaving a school where he spent 2 years for an instant 3.5 mill and an opportunity to gain more exposure and status within his own career. Blaming this NIL/free transfer cluster that our institutions created on the players themselves and "wokeness".

Gimme a friggin break. I hate this situation as much as anyone, and let's face it everyone does, but be rational about it.

Agree but that's not happening as it's a NFL/NFL players association thing. NFL players like the rule as it leaves more spots for veterans and NFL teams like that they get a free farm system.
NFL players don't really care that much. Kid comes out this year or next. Doesn't matter. He's taking a spot. Most guys don't stick around long enough to draw a pension so there's always turnover at the bottom.

Rule is there to appease the college coaches who loved having that extra year of control. It's gone now so there isn't much of a point.

Really though? Rich guys buy locker rooms and name meeting rooms. I'd much rather buy players if I were uber rich. Buying players will simply be the new capital donations.

Why are you mentioning salary? Addison isnt getting a salary. He sold his marketing rights to boosters for $3.5 million. NFL players' individual marketing rights to local/national businesses are not pursuant to the CBA and no 1st Rounder is going to make $3.5 million in NIL. I doubt Aaron Rogers will, Pat Mahomes. Tom Brady probably does. That might be it. Jordan Addison's NIL deal probably ranks at the very top of world sports, any sport. You know why? Its pay for play
Addison's NIL deal probably ranks at the very top of world sports, any sport.

As per Forbes, Rodgers is 2020's 45th highest-paid athlete in the world with earnings of $30.1 million. Out of which $9 million came from endorsements the year before. Rodgers endorses Adidas, Panini, Bose, Prevea Healthcare, and State Farm Mutual Auto Insurance.

You ever take a look at what some of your soccer heroes make annually in endorsement $$$, Hyperbole Guy?

Addison's NIL deal probably ranks at the very top of world sports, any sport.

As per Forbes, Rodgers is 2020's 45th highest-paid athlete in the world with earnings of $30.1 million. Out of which $9 million came from endorsements the year before. Rodgers endorses Adidas, Panini, Bose, Prevea Healthcare, and State Farm Mutual Auto Insurance.

You ever take a look at what some of your soccer heroes make annually in endorsement $$$, Hyperbole Guy?
Wow, thanks for proving my point. Aaron Rodgers only made $9 million in endorsements and was 45h in the world. With Addison making $3.5 million in "endorsements," that has to rank him in the Top 100 or so in the world out of hundreds of thousands of athletes. He has a world-class "marketing deal." Also, those major stars get the bulk of their endorsements from national brands. Addison will probably be the highest paid athlete in the world in terms of marketing deals from local, non-national companies.

Well we now have Football without a salary cap. We all know how that works. If there was some way to make it an even playing field so that there was some level of fairness then I could support this new era. But the aTm and USCs will buy championships like the Yankees and Red Sox. Can't wait!

Reactions: APanther
I highly doubt Addison is getting anywhere close to $3.5 million. There is almost always a big difference in the actual figures and what gets floated out for public consumption.

Wow, thanks for proving my point. Aaron Rodgers only made $9 million in endorsements and was 45h in the world. With Addison making $3.5 million in "endorsements," that has to rank him in the Top 100 or so in the world out of hundreds of thousands of athletes. He has a world-class "marketing deal." Also, those major stars get the bulk of their endorsements from national brands. Addison will probably be the highest paid athlete in the world in terms of marketing deals from local, non-national companies.
Good job by Jordan, his family and agent!

Reactions: 303vND
Why? Still same game on the field.
Not close. An uneven playing field just got more uneven. No reason to watch a pro minor league when the NFL is there to watch. No reason to waste Saturdays.

Really though? Rich guys buy locker rooms and name meeting rooms. I'd much rather buy players if I were uber rich. Buying players will simply be the new capital donations.

b/c you don't get to put your name on a player. and you have to shell out millions ever year. meetings rooms are a one time thing.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
What makes the NFL so great is a team in a tiny town in Wisconsin can be one of the most successful franchises in the world. You also have the opportunity to get off the mat if you have good leadership. Widening the gap in college football is going to do long-term damage.

Will some of you stop embarrassing yourselves by acting like Jordan Addison is going to get buried on the depth chart at USC (or Alabama) like Robert Foster because they have loads of 5 stars. Please stop it. For one, Robert Foster cannot lick the sweat off of Addison's jockstrap. Secondly, if some site or magazine would list the 5 best WR's in college football the past year and didn't list Addison, there would be a 10 page thread on here on how the site and author is an idiot.

Jordan Addison won the Biletnikoff last year. He was the best FR WR in the country the year before. He is proven. Not some 18 year that some site gave "5 Stars". So please don't do this. You can be pissed at him, you can wish him ill will, but don't minimalize how much of a talent he is.

Will some of you stop embarrassing yourselves by acting like Jordan Addison is going to get buried on the depth chart at USC (or Alabama) like Robert Foster because they have loads of 5 stars. Please stop it. For one, Robert Foster cannot lick the sweat off of Addison's jockstrap. Secondly, if some site or magazine would list the 5 best WR's in college football the past year and didn't list Addison, there would be a 10 page thread on here on how the site and author is an idiot.

Jordan Addison won the Biletnikoff last year. He was the best FR WR in the country the year before. He is proven. Not some 18 year that some site gave "5 Stars". So please don't do this. You can be pissed at him, you can wish him ill will, but don't minimalize how much of a talent he is.

There is no doubt he's one of the best WR's in the country. The big knock on him is size, straight line speed, and lack of competition. Alabama and Georgia WR's have seen better competition in practice then JA has seen in games.

There is no doubt he's one of the best WR's in the country. The big knock on him is size, straight line speed, and lack of competition. Alabama and Georgia WR's have seen better competition in practice then JA has seen in games.
Give me a break. Straight line speed? Some of the greatest WR's ever didn't have great straight line speed. Fitz. Rice. Swann. But man they got behind people because they weren't treadmill trackstars. Learn it.

Addison is a talented kid with no honor, character, loyalty or integrity. It is what it is. Pitt gave him a platform to excel...he did and then pissed on their heads.

To reiterate…Addison is:
  • Approx a quarter to third the talent of Fitzgerald
  • Approx half the talent of Bryant
  • Toss up with Boyd
  • Born at the perfect time

Give me a break. Straight line speed? Some of the greatest WR's ever didn't have great straight line speed. Fitz. Rice. Swann. But man they got behind people because they weren't treadmill trackstars. Learn it.

Fitz - 6'3 228lbs
Rice - 6'2 205lbs

Addison - 5'10-5'11 175lbs

Addison is compared to the Emanuel Sanders type of receiver. Really good and solid player for sure.

The undersize 4.5-4.6 guys typically make their money underneath and after the catch which I think everyone agrees is Addison's projection.

Fitz - 6'3 228lbs
Rice - 6'2 205lbs

Addison - 5'10-5'11 175lbs

Addison is compared to the Emanuel Sanders type of receiver. Really good and solid player for sure.

The undersize 4.5-4.6 guys typically make their money underneath and after the catch which I think everyone agrees is Addison's projection.
Emanuel Sanders is a good comparison for Addison.

Are u going to the combine at McGuffey tomorrow?

Emanuel Sanders is a good comparison for Addison.

Are u going to the combine at McGuffey tomorrow?
I've heard the Sanders/Addison comparison in the past few months and I think it's pretty accurate. Super smooth route runner who has a real high football IQ when it comes to attacking coverages.

I won't be at McGuffey tomorrow. We have some family commitments. I heard they have a bunch of players attending. Should be a good event.

Wow, thanks for proving my point.

Only in your world can you posit that there is only one player in the NFL making $3.5 million per season in endorsements and someone show you some actual facts that shows that that statement isn't even close to being the truth, followed by you thanking them for proving your point.

Unless your point was that you had no idea what you were talking about, he didn't prove your point.

• Haha
Reactions: PITTfanSD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT