ADVERTISEMENT

Barkley Stinks

I like Barkley, but he has nothing that’s the best of any rb ever. That’s absurd.

As great a game as Barrett had he doesn’t have anything locked up. He wasn’t even in the top 5 before yesterday and will be lucky to be in the top 3 when the odds are adjusted tomorrow. Barkley will probably still be favored with Mayfield 2nd. Love slipping because of the injury.
I'm impartial to Barkley, nothing against the kid just can't stand penn state. His legs are literally tree trunks though. He has their power lift record I believe it is.

I agree Barrett wasn't even in the top 5 before yesterday, even though he should've been even then. There is no way Barkley is the favorite though, but he is still very much in contention. Love has completely fallen, only a great game against nd gets him serious consideration now despite his insane rushing numbers before missing last game. Barrett's numbers are just too good to look past though, I do think mayfield is the real challenger.

All the talk was about Barkley, people mentioned love when they noticed him shredding defenses. I really believe this will be another usual year though with a qb winning it.

I mentioned this at the beginning of the season prior to PITT playing the Nitters.

Barkley is from our local HS football conference The Lehigh Valley Conference having played for Whitehall HS which is just down the road ( 10 miles ) from us!

Mrs Buffett and I watched him play in alot of HS games.
Barkley is a "smart opportunistic" RB.
He makes the most out of other teams mistakes but creates very little on is own which IMO is the mark of a great RB,

In HS the scouting reports/book on him was punish him and he'll begin to lay down. That's his football DNA similar to fingerprints. He's not the kind of back who gets mad, begins to run over people, break tackles, making his own opportunities. But if you help him by making mistakes on D , tackle him poorly he'll take advantage of that stuff and has in the BIG Ten!

OSU punished him and he was totally ineffective except for the OSU mistakes on kick coverage.

The BIG 10 is terrible ( except for OSU) and he's had an easy ride so far! Put him in the SEC or another conference and he's just another really good not great RB!

He should be down the list for a Heisman winner!

"save a horse ride a cowboy"
Signed: Mrs Buffett

Last edited:
I like Barkley, but he has nothing that’s the best of any rb ever. That’s absurd.

As great a game as Barrett had he doesn’t have anything locked up. He wasn’t even in the top 5 before yesterday and will be lucky to be in the top 3 when the odds are adjusted tomorrow. Barkley will probably still be favored with Mayfield 2nd. Love slipping because of the injury.

Give me a break. Yea, a 230 lb running back with 4.34 speed who reps 225 30 times, who hurdles players, who has vision that shakes LBs out of their jocks, who has returned a couple kicks for touchdowns, who lead the B10 in receiving after 6 games, who lead the nation in yards after contact as a freshman playing behind a below average line. Yeah, he has nothing in common with the great ones. The pro scouts beg to differ with you. Sometimes I feel sorry for the kid that he plays in that style of offense. On the other hand, its allowed him to showcase all his talents, develop a variety of skill sets, and average over 200 all purpose yards per game and will really prepare him for the NFL.

And Barrett - He's only completing over 70% of his passes while his team is averaging around 45 points a game. He will have a great chance to win the Heisman if his team wins out the B10 and does well in the playoffs. He's a tremendous athlete who is beginning to flourish under Wilson's coaching and he was already good. Wilson's doing the same thing for OSU that Moorhead did for PSU except OSU has more overall talent and depth. Wilson is building passing schemes into Urban's RPO that is really beginning to pay dividends. OSU will really be tough by the end of year.

Give me a break. Yea, a 230 lb running back with 4.34 speed who reps 225 30 times, who hurdles players, who has vision that shakes LBs out of their jocks, who has returned a couple kicks for touchdowns, who lead the B10 in receiving after 6 games, who lead the nation in yards after contact as a freshman playing behind a below average line. Yeah, he has nothing in common with the great ones. The pro scouts beg to differ with you. Sometimes I feel sorry for the kid that he plays in that style of offense. On the other hand, its allowed him to showcase all his talents, develop a variety of skill sets, and average over 200 all purpose yards per game and will really prepare him for the NFL.

And Barrett - He's only completing over 70% of his passes while his team is averaging around 45 points a game. He will have a great chance to win the Heisman if his team wins out the B10 and does well in the playoffs. He's a tremendous athlete who is beginning to flourish under Wilson's coaching and he was already good. Wilson's doing the same thing for OSU that Moorhead did for PSU except OSU has more overall talent and depth. Wilson is building passing schemes into Urban's RPO that is really beginning to pay dividends. OSU will really be tough by the end of year.

Screw all that, what’s Barkley’s shuttle time? Nothing else really matters

Then please explain:

21 Carries
44 Yards
2.1 YPC

Reactions: freddietee511

Not to be an ahole about it, but do not recommend anyone play at that particular book. Numerous reports of people having trouble getting paid, they deal different lines to sharps and squares, and if you show any speed your limits are reduced to nothing. I’m talking $25 on props like these.

The Rudolph odds here interest me though, he’s 10-1 or less everywhere in Vegas that has these. The winner of the Okla/Okie St game will get a huge boost in the Heisman race. Barkley at -175 a horrible number, which shows you how much this book caters to squares. Not seeing him higher than -125 here.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga

I suspect his combine number to be closer to 4.45

If the winner of the Heisman was given to the best player in the country, not the best player on one of the teams in contention for the NC; Lamar Jackson would win again. That guy is single-handedly trying to carry the team on his way to another 3500+ yard passing and 1500+ yard rushing season.

Yep, all those crazy reps in the weight room and hurdling players and he is 23rd in rushing and close to 100th in receiving against a weak schedule. He got exposed as a mere mortal against a team with an actual defense who has some speed.

You are using all purpose yards? That's fine, but he returns kicks where most running backs don't.

Shady had a shaky line and still put up numbers. He got better in his second year because he stopped trying to take every run outside, something that Barkley continues to do. In McCoy's first season they had no threat of a passing game so he was keyed on every single game.

Am I going to say that Barkley is no good? Of course not. But numbers have to back up his talent if people want to claim him as a "once in a generation" type player. He's like the homerun hitter who hits 450 foot blasts but doesn't hit as many as most of the other homerun hitters who's just clear the fence.

If you say his line is no good, which plenty of my PSU buddies have, then I guess they aren't as good of a team as many thought. They've played one good team and lost to them. Michigan is not a very good team and beat Rutgers and got moved back into the Top 25. I wonder why? Because of their name, coach, and the fact they were WAY overrated in the preseason.

Yep, all those crazy reps in the weight room and hurdling players and he is 23rd in rushing and close to 100th in receiving against a weak schedule. He got exposed as a mere mortal against a team with an actual defense who has some speed.

You are using all purpose yards? That's fine, but he returns kicks where most running backs don't.

Shady had a shaky line and still put up numbers. He got better in his second year because he stopped trying to take every run outside, something that Barkley continues to do. In McCoy's first season they had no threat of a passing game so he was keyed on every single game.

Am I going to say that Barkley is no good? Of course not. But numbers have to back up his talent if people want to claim him as a "once in a generation" type player. He's like the homerun hitter who hits 450 foot blasts but doesn't hit as many as most of the other homerun hitters who's just clear the fence.

If you say his line is no good, which plenty of my PSU buddies have, then I guess they aren't as good of a team as many thought. They've played one good team and lost to them. Michigan is not a very good team and beat Rutgers and got moved back into the Top 25. I wonder why? Because of their name, coach, and the fact they were WAY overrated in the preseason.

Interesting that you used a baseball comparison. I was going to say he reminds me of a guy who hits 40 HRs with a .240 average. How does he compare with guys who hit 25 HRs and bat .300?

Remember Trent Richardson? I think Barkley is the second coming.

Workout freak, great college RB, high draft pick, and not much NFL success.

He's not going to hurdle NFL guys, in fact I'll propose that after the first few time he tries it he won't do it anymore. He won't have a bunch of arm tackles he'll be breaking, and it's going to be a lot tougher to outrun guys.

That being said, it doesn't diminish his college career.

THIS is a Heisman winning peformance:

Barry Sanders Averages 238.9 Rushing Yards a Game

1. Barry Sanders is without question one of the best running backs to ever live, and in 1988 he had the best season of any running back in college football history.

He rushed for 2,850 yards during the 12-game season, averaging 238.9 yards a game on his way to the Heisman trophy.

While there are running backs who might end up with more rushes in a season, there is little doubt that anybody will rush for more yards a game than the great Barry Sanders, particularly with the way the college game is evolving.

Reactions: President Stache
Who is this (Hint: He didn't win the Heisman):

In 2003 he had an awe-inspiring 92 receptions for 1,672 yards and 22 touchdowns and holds and incredible streak of at least one touchdown catch in 18 consecutive games.

Barkley succeeds with top shelf speed and open field elusiveness at the college level. I have seen nothing from him to indicate he will be a reliable every down workhorse back at the NFL level. My immediate thought when I watch Barkley is Darren Sproles or Theo Riddick. Will have a good career catching passes but I don't expect anything earth shattering. He's gonna be 40 yd rush 5 catch 40 yd rec half TD per game average guy.

If the winner of the Heisman was given to the best player in the country, not the best player on one of the teams in contention for the NC; Lamar Jackson would win again. That guy is single-handedly trying to carry the team on his way to another 3500+ yard passing and 1500+ yard rushing season.

He’s pretty much been exposed though. Guy was in the top 10 of some mock drafts heading into the season and is
Barkley succeeds with top shelf speed and open field elusiveness at the college level. I have seen nothing from him to indicate he will be a reliable every down workhorse back at the NFL level. My immediate thought when I watch Barkley is Darren Sproles or Theo Riddick. Will have a good career catching passes but I don't expect anything earth shattering. He's gonna be 40 yd rush 5 catch 40 yd rec half TD per game average guy.

Sproles was my comparison as well. Nothing the matter with that, but not close to what some on here are saying is the best RB in the last 20+ years. Christian McCaffrey another back he reminds me of.

Heard a lot about Barkley’s speed, would be very surprised if he outran Love at the combine if they both come out.

Reactions: freddietee511
I think Barkley is comparable to a stronger Dion Lewis at the NFL level. He's a pretty good player, and should be a contributor if he stays healthy. Will he be a superstar? I'm not sure, but it's possible.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people in this thread are missing the fact that PSU's Oline is absolute garbage.

21 Carries
44 Yards
2.1 YPC

It's funny, this guy is much more likely to be the next Rashard Mendenhall than Barry Sanders. He can run really fast through a hole but that's it.
Have you watched him play? His best quality is his ability to change directions and get back to speed in almost no time. He isn't remotely similar to Rashard Mendenhall or a guy who can only "run really fast through a hole".

If you are going to make a somewhat (considering the perch he has been placed on) denigrating comparison, Theo Riddick is much more apt. Rashard Mendenhall is just an absolutely awful comparison. He is almost the antithesis of Rashard Mendenhall.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
You are right that was a bad comparison. One of the two rushed for 1700 yards in the Big Ten as a junior and the other one won't sniff that. I know I know the next comment is going to be about how dominating the fighting Illini offensive line was that season.

Have you watched him play? His best quality is his ability to change directions and get back to speed in almost no time. He isn't remotely similar to Rashard Mendenhall or a guy who can only "run really fast through a hole".

If you are going to make a somewhat (considering the perch he has been placed on) denigrating comparison, Theo Riddick is much more apt. Rashard Mendenhall is just an absolutely awful comparison. He is almost the antithesis of Rashard Mendenhall.

I mentioned this at the beginning of the season prior to PITT playing the Nitters.

Barkley is from our local HS football conference The Lehigh Valley Conference having played for Whitehall HS which is just down the road ( 10 miles ) from us!

Mrs Buffett and I watched him play in alot of HS games.
Barkley is a "smart opportunistic" RB.
He makes the most out of other teams mistakes but creates very little on is own which IMO is the mark of a great RB,

In HS the scouting reports/book on him was punish him and he'll begin to lay down. That's his football DNA similar to fingerprints. He's not the kind of back who gets mad, begins to run over people, break tackles, making his own opportunities. But if you help him by making mistakes on D , tackle him poorly he'll take advantage of that stuff and has in the BIG Ten!

OSU punished him and he was totally ineffective except for the OSU mistakes on kick coverage.

The BIG 10 is terrible ( except for OSU) and he's had an easy ride so far! Put him in the SEC or another conference and he's just another really good not great RB!

He should be down the list for a Heisman winner!

"save a horse ride a cowboy"
Signed: Mrs Buffett

You are right that was a bad comparison. One of the two rushed for 1700 yards in the Big Ten as a junior and the other one won't sniff that. I know I know the next comment is going to be about how dominating the fighting Illini offensive line was that season.
No, they are just completely different backs. Completely different skill sets. Completely different offenses.

Reactions: Jeffburgh

This, excellent post. What many do not understand is how teams are doing everything to stop Barkley. They're not just loading the box, they're having 3 players follow him. A DE, a safety, and a LBR. Penn State should have kept throwing in the 4th. Huge mistake trying to run, especially with Bates out.

Reactions: step.eng69
He’s pretty much been exposed though. Guy was in the top 10 of some mock drafts heading into the season and is

Sproles was my comparison as well. Nothing the matter with that, but not close to what some on here are saying is the best RB in the last 20+ years. Christian McCaffrey another back he reminds me of.

Heard a lot about Barkley’s speed, would be very surprised if he outran Love at the combine if they both come out.

Been exposed in what way? He can't help that the L'Ville D is putrid. The guy is 2nd in passing yards and 10th in rushing (200 more yards than that guy from East of PITT who people can't stop talking about).

Been exposed in what way? He can't help that the L'Ville D is putrid. The guy is 2nd in passing yards and 10th in rushing (200 more yards than that guy from East of PITT who people can't stop talking about).

He has shown that he can’t make the throws he needs to from in the pocket consistently. Way too much reliance on his (unbelievable) running ability for a guy that’s slightly built. His durability was questioned last year when he just wasn’t quite the same player at the end of the season, at the next level this will certainly be magnified.

There is a reason he went from a borderline top 10 pick at the start of the year, to a late 1st rounder. Have also read that some think his NFL future may not necessarily be at QB. Not sure if you’ve watched them a lot this year, but he’s not the same guy throwing the ball. A lot of his passing stats have been accumulated in what amounts to garbage time when they were behind by multiple scores. When teams have been able to contain him in the pocket he has made some unbelievably bad throws that he didn’t make last year.

Seems like a good guy and all, but in my opinion his NFL future as a QB is not very bright.

He is a very good back in a system that may not be his best usage. But he can be a threat to score from anywhere and that is what separates RB's. My concern is his ability to play as a work horse type RB in the NFL. He will be taken in the top 5 or 10 based on his physical assets.

He has shown that he can’t make the throws he needs to from in the pocket consistently. Way too much reliance on his (unbelievable) running ability for a guy that’s slightly built. His durability was questioned last year when he just wasn’t quite the same player at the end of the season, at the next level this will certainly be magnified.

There is a reason he went from a borderline top 10 pick at the start of the year, to a late 1st rounder. Have also read that some think his NFL future may not necessarily be at QB. Not sure if you’ve watched them a lot this year, but he’s not the same guy throwing the ball. A lot of his passing stats have been accumulated in what amounts to garbage time when they were behind by multiple scores. When teams have been able to contain him in the pocket he has made some unbelievably bad throws that he didn’t make last year.

Seems like a good guy and all, but in my opinion his NFL future as a QB is not very bright.
Agreed. I'd be surprised if he can be a good enough NFL QB for that to make the most sense for him at the next level. He'd likely be better off transitioning to the slot and being a potentially dynamic playmaker there and an emergency QB.

Lamar Jackson has 909 more yards of offense than any other player in the country. 909. Diff from Lamar to No. 2 is same as No. 2 to No. 41.

Still by far the most dominate offensive player in the country. It's really not close.

• Barry Sanders is without question one of the best running backs to ever live, and in 1988 he had the best season of any running back in college football history.

He rushed for 2,850 yards during the 12-game season, averaging 238.9 yards a game on his way to the Heisman trophy.

While there are running backs who might end up with more rushes in a season, there is little doubt that anybody will rush for more yards a game than the great Barry Sanders, particularly with the way the college game is evolving.

Over 2800 yards for Sanders...

Meanwhile Barkley will need dormats RU and UMD to break 1000 on the season.

Guaranteed they leave him in the game in the 4th qtr, up by 40, so he can pad those stats against another hapless team.

Forget about tO$U no show.

20 carries, 56 yds vs INDIANA
16 carries, 75 yds vs NW
10 for 47 vs GA STATE

Baller:rolleyes:

Over 2800 yards for Sanders...

Meanwhile Barkley will need dormats RU and UMD to break 1000 on the season.

Guaranteed they leave him in the game in the 4th qtr, up by 40, so he can pad those stats against another hapless team.

Reactions: daminals76
Lamar Jackson has 909 more yards of offense than any other player in the country. 909. Diff from Lamar to No. 2 is same as No. 2 to No. 41.

Still by far the most dominate offensive player in the country. It's really not close.

Stats yes, but not nearly as dominant.

He is a part of the reason they’re not the same team this year. He is not even close to being the best QB in the country this season.

There are two different arguments at play.

As for the Heisman, yeah, I get the debate over that. He should be in the discussion because he is a truly dynamic player, and is instrumental to a team that has a shot at the playoffs.

But, I definitely would agree with the point that his overall productivity statistically if there are other viable candidates should be in real question. That said, we have seen, in weaker years, other guys win Heismans who were similar, not big stats but dynamic.

However, as to his prospects as a pro, IF he stays healthy and lands with a reasonably decent team, he is going to be a very nice player, probably be a Le Bell type, rack up 1,000 yard seasons with a lot of receiving yards, too.

Different types of players (Bell is not near as fast, but is stronger and bulls for yards) but similar dual capabilities and elusiveness.

I think Barkley is comparable to a stronger Dion Lewis at the NFL level. He's a pretty good player, and should be a contributor if he stays healthy. Will he be a superstar? I'm not sure, but it's possible.
I take this back. I think he's more Shady McCoy.

Forget about tO$U no show.

20 carries, 56 yds vs INDIANA
16 carries, 75 yds vs NW
10 for 47 vs GA STATE

Baller:rolleyes:
Against Indiana, he had a 98 yard kickoff for a TD and another 52 yards receiving for over 200 total yards...not sure 20 for 56 is telling the whole story there. I hate Penn State, but if Penn State wins out, he is still the favorite or top two for Heisman in my opinion

• Barry Sanders is without question one of the best running backs to ever live, and in 1988 he had the best season of any running back in college football history.

Best of All Time and it is not even close. I get so annoyed when people try to compare Emmitt Smith to Barry. They may have run in the same generation, but they were not close talent-wise. Maybe a pre-hip Bo was the only one...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT