ADVERTISEMENT

Bold prediction - Pitt will play in ACC champ game

Pitt2006

Sophomore
Jun 19, 2018
I had a similar feeling after the Western Michigan game that Pitt would be ok. Correct some timing on offense and they win tonight. Defense clearly better second half. Schedule still favorable ACC wise as ND loss won’t count against us. They won’t make the playoff and likely can’t beat FSU, but 9 plus wins still on the table. Honestly, I want to see what the younger QBs have, though. Set up excitement for next year.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I had a similar feeling after the Western Michigan game that Pitt would be ok. Correct some timing on offense and they win tonight. Defense clearly better second half. Schedule still favorable ACC wise as ND loss won’t count against us. They won’t make the playoff and likely can’t beat FSU, but 9 plus wins still on the table. Honestly, I want to see what the younger QBs have, though. Set up excitement for next year.
Yeah, unfortunately we have a terrible loss like this every year. It keeps us from getting to the next level as a program. One thing we have shown is that we can rebound

If we can't score points we won't beat UNC or FSU for sure, and probably not Duke or Syracuse.

If we lose 2 of those we're probably not in the championship game, definitely not if we lose 3.

I hope you're right but I don't see it happening.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I'm shocked. Did you guys watch that game? I'm not talking about a loss....that happens. It's the fact our qb can't throw 20 yards. For God's sake ....he was 10- 33 and the deep ball was there all night but completely underthrown. Unless a qb switch is made...we will.win 3 more games

If we can't score points we won't beat UNC or FSU for sure, and probably not Duke or Syracuse.

If we lose 2 of those we're probably not in the championship game, definitely not if we lose 3.

I hope you're right but I don't see it happening.
UNC is probably the key game as FSU plays Miami, Clemson, duke and Cuse in addition to us. Had the 2nd half defense showed up earlier and if Sauls makes that kick, it changes the whole dynamic being down 27-24 and potentially going for tying field goal on that last drive. A lot of hands touching balls that could have been caught. Som behind throws that could have been caught. But enough to potentially eek out some wins.

I get you maybe optimist bc our defense played their buts off but cmon this wasn’t a playoff cinci team and our qb should be at IUP.

UNC is probably the key game as FSU plays Miami, Clemson, duke and Cuse in addition to us. Had the 2nd half defense showed up earlier and if Sauls makes that kick, it changes the whole dynamic being down 27-24 and potentially going for tying field goal on that last drive. A lot of hands touching balls that could have been caught. Som behind throws that could have been caught. But enough to potentially eek out some wins.
If the second half defense shows up at the start of the game we win despite Jurkovec.

WRs were stretching and diving to get a single hand on a horribly thrown ball into coverage, that doesn't mean those balls were actually catchable.

Reactions: runthewildcat
Yeah, I definitely see the similarities. Only have about ten less draft picks (including three first rounders) and instead of a Heisman candidate at QB we have Tino Sunseri after 8 shots of Jack.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
There's a difference between bold and insane. This team has no Kenny Pickett. Jurkovec is exactly what you saw tonight. Inaccurate and indecisive. This offensive line is terrible. They couldn't move Wofford off the line and tonight they were dominated. Will they improve over the course of the year? Maybe. But will they improve enough to talk about winning the ACC? Absurd. You want to see another QB? You better hope that Narduzzi is kidnapped cause he ain't changing QB's. Did you not watch last year? This team will be very lucky to win 6 or 7 games. Get a grip.

I don’t see a Heisman QB finalist or a Biletnikoff award winner on this roster. They aren’t beating UNC, FSU, Duke or Louisville with #5 playing QB.

It might be that this Cincy team is pretty good and this won't be a bad loss. Next week is huge.

It seems like the ACC is stronger this year. It's still too early. Duz has a knack for having strong late season pushes.

Let's just beat WVU and move on from there.

T
here just isn't enough talent. I think there is a chance they can get to 7-5 but this is the least talented team Pitt has had in 4 or 5 seasons. I think the d will rebound and improve not sure the offense can. I would say it definitely won't be good enough to beat UNC,FSU. Likely not duke either

Yeah, I definitely see the similarities. Only have about ten less draft picks (including three first rounders) and instead of a Heisman candidate at QB we have Tino Sunseri after 8 shots of Jack.

There was also some bad turnover luck in that WM game. That evened out as the season went on.

This wasn’t really a bad luck game. Just bad talent.

This team has some major structural issues on both sides of the ball starting with the O line and defensive front 7. And that’s before we even get into the poor QB play, the lack of playmakers and downfield threat in the WR room, and the decidedly subpar offensive scheme and play calling. We’re going nowhere fast this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
The loophole is that he doesn’t actually mean the ACC Championship THIS season.

Plus he means the volleyball team.

The sport the school actually cares about

If we don’t do something about the run D we are gonna get skull drug next week as well. Can’t be consistent with flash and finesses guys at LB

So updated FPI metrics has Pitt at 31 and Cincy at 24. Sort of our luck of always scheduling a OOc top 10 team like Tenn and Ok State. Not an awful loss per se. UNC and Lville at 26/27. Cuse up to top 20. So even though we hate this team after last night, the metrics aren’t awful. We should handle WVU and then UNC will be season maker or breaker.

Shut up please

So updated FPI metrics has Pitt at 31 and Cincy at 24. Sort of our luck of always scheduling a OOc top 10 team like Tenn and Ok State. Not an awful loss per se. UNC and Lville at 26/27. Cuse up to top 20. So even though we hate this team after last night, the metrics aren’t awful. We should handle WVU and then UNC will be season maker or breaker.

There’s way too much of last year still being inputted into analytic models at this point in the season.

They still have some value. But I wouldn’t really be citing them like this until the sample size is big enough to where it’s just 2023 making up the numbers. Which isn’t until like Week 5-ish I think.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
If Karine Jean- Pierre ever steps down, you have a good shot at the job.

Reactions: Phillypanther2
I get you maybe optimist bc our defense played their buts off but cmon this wasn’t a playoff cinci team and our qb should be at IUP.
Did we watch different defenses in the first half? Pitt was wearing the blue jerseys.

I have a similar feeling but I am going to have to see which team shows up next week. Then I will agree or disagree. One thing I know is Phil has to improve radically. And I mean higher than Slovis level. If he doesn’t and stubborn Duzz doesn’t go to one of the others, then we are in for a long season.

You know it is bad when you lose hope.

Well, first I am optimistic, but also, I look at statistics, and typically, I am right in my optimism. I knew we would play well down the stretch last year, cause most the issue was injuries, bad bounces, etc. Yesterday we were beat by a mediocre team on both lines. I said before the game after watching and hearing their QB that he was very good, and we would have a lot of trouble against him, I just hoped he would be nervous being on national tv and all. He wasnt.

I was hopeful our 4 amazing freshmen WRs would be very good, so far, none of them show they are amazing (I mean clear superstar type from the get go, which I know is super rare). Our line, our QB, our new LBs, our new DE (except Hayes) none have stepped out and showed anything yet.

I think we will win against WVU, although it will be a total nail biter. But UNC, with their super accurate QB, will score enough to beat us, as our offense will look like it did last night.

We had no identity on offense at all. I thought Hammond and Carter would be ramming it all year between the tackles and C'Bo coming in as the HR threat. We hardly ran the ball. We seem to want to be a passing team with a QB who was completely inaccurate. We need to be smash mouth run between the tackles, get first downs with our big, talented TEs and occasionally hitting it deep with the WR when the defense pulls up to stop all the top. Its not sexy, but it would work with our personal. You cant be a wide open passing team with sub par QB and average WRs

I'm shocked. Did you guys watch that game? I'm not talking about a loss....that happens. It's the fact our qb can't throw 20 yards. For God's sake ....he was 10- 33 and the deep ball was there all night but completely underthrown. Unless a qb switch is made...we will.win 3 more games
Agree he was completely underwhelming and off all night. Woefully underthrew deep balls all night and was rarely on target with his other passes. If he doesn't show a huge improvement not sure why you stick with him and why we are so hesitant to go to the backup baffles me. Our O line was extremely underwhelming as well and part of the reason the QB had such a rough night he rarely had 3 seconds to drop back without pressure forcing him out of the pocket.

As OP, I have faith in the D, but yeah, sinking ship. If they make a QB change this week and beat UNC, I still stand by my prediction. The schedule is still favorable with the D, but not with PJ.

I honestly think we have no chance this week. I would be totally shocked if we win.

1. Our offense, our QB, cant throw 20 yards accurately... well hell, he cant even throw a screen pass accurately
2. UNC dline and LB crew is outstanding and leading the conference in sacks. Our line... ummm... eek
3. UNC is a team that likes to line up 7 in the box all looking at blitzing, and drops 3 back at snap to confuse the QB. Our QB will be MASSIVELY confused.
4. They may just blitz everyone, every play, they dont have to worry about the QB getting the ball to wide open receivers, as he hasnt been able to do that yet
5. Their QB is crazy accurate, they have 4 good receivers, and a good run game. They will put up yards and points
6. We just dont have the fire power at all to match them

I think maybe 38-13??? If we are lucky

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT