ADVERTISEMENT

Chancellor Gallagher

Far superior? I suggest you look at their seasons. Their highs have been higher which is like 5 seasons. But their lows have been lower and overall have been a 7 win average team.

I do agree though that our highs can be theirs every so often and we need to find a way to reach that. Bit far superior is a little strong imo.

The highs are what you live for! That's why crack is so popular

2-10, 9-3, 10-2, 8-4. 1-11 > 6-6, 6-6, 6-6, 6-6, 6-6

This, my friends, is the biggest danger: if Pitt doesn’t develop the support of its current students and recent graduates now, they’re not gonna have their support later, when they’re out there working in their careers and are able to financially support the team.
You are on the money!

Team support is a generational process, which takes generations of students, who graduate bring their families and friends to Pitt games, who in turn bring their families and friends to Pitt games on and on until the Saturday Pitt game is the place to be.

Unfortunately Pitt has dissed and missed a few generations of fans which makes it harder to add numbers to the stadium quickly!

Bad coach and AD hires have made the situation worse.
Until Pitt gets some stability in the coach and AD spots so a consistent year to year strategy can be rolled out and implemented not much will change!

Exactly, its the same moronic thinking over and over again after every setback. The same ones that thought script fonts with magical powers would fill stadiums and coffers.

Just spend money on things they don't even have a clue what needs to be spent on. Throw imaginary money at it from imaginary places. No consequences to that. Surely that will turn Pitt into Clemson in football and UNC in basketball in no time! No more unsavory losses! No more bad hires. To demonstrate commitment, we should start with million dollar assistant salaries for coaches that don't want to be here and a half billion football stadium on the Cathedral Lawn.

Your mentality is exactly what Pitt wants and reason why the suck! You must work for the Chancellor I take it? Excuses, Excuses......let's keep making excuses while every program laughs their ass off and Pitt eventually turns into Rutgers with no one in the stands whatsoever. Yep that's the path Pitt should take because they are just about 3/4ths there right now.

Reactions: TD_istheman
Miami and Mark Richt is an utterly asinine example. You realize Richt was fired from Georgia, right? Are you telling me the move for Pitt to make is to can Narduzzi, and then hire Bielema or Riley or Mora or some other unemployed guy and pay him $4 million a year? Because frankly that’s what you’re implying

I also would really like to know whom some of you would go try to hire if Narduzzi was no longer on the job. There ought to be some hilarious responses

The issue isn't the coach, it is the support that the coach needs in order to compete! And right now that support isn't going to come from the fans because the perception is Pitt doesn't care enough to win so why donate.

Reactions: Mikefln
So Wendy's says eat enough crappy burgers until we can afford good meat, that's only if you and others eat enough crappy burgers , we will upgrade the meat??? Really???

No! We can't borrow and expect that to be the answer. And the endowment is off limits. The athletic programs and athletic department needs to generate the revenue on their own to support the programs to make them quality programs. The ACC money helps, but not much. It has to be within the department. They are accountable.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
It's time to put up where your mouth was a couple years ago! DO SOMETHING TO FIX PITT FOOTBALL!!

And I don't want to hear Pitt doesn't get enough donations. Who in their right mind is going to donate to what we are experiencing?? Pitt has put itself in a position where they will have to fork over the money up front to try and win then wait for the donations. Donations aren't going to come first at this point. No one to blame but yourself Pitt Administration and BOT

Been saying this for years Pitt has put itself in a spot where fans are done and have given up. They aren't coming back until Pitt shoes its committed to winning and the only way they are going to show that is hiring a proven stud HC or by winning. Its that simple and no wringing of hands is going to change it. So if they are unable or unwilling to make that investment they need to seriously stop pretending and drop down in FB to FCS and join the BE. Want to know why they won't do that? Simple money, the thing the homers on here want bring up is it cost money to field sports teams, very few(mens bb and FB) pay for themselves. So if Pitt dropped to FCS they would still have to lose money on all their sports plus they wouldn't get the 20 million dollar check from the ACC. Somehow Miami, a school that is pretty much equal to Pitt in revenue, is spending twice as much on FB coaches. How are they doing it its not possible. Has nothing to do with the recruiting area they are still spending the money to pay the coaches

If you look at the AD's latest mailer - Miami is just a notch ahead of Pitt in fundraising. Please explain how they are able to field competitive men's bball and football programs on a similar budget (and similar fan support - or lack thereof) ?

Others have answered its south beach, sure that is why they are able to recruit at a level Pitt can only dream about but it doesn't explain why they are able to pay the coaches. Pitt could do the same thing they won't have the same results but they would have better results than they are currently getting. THEY SIMPLY DON'T CARE ENOUGH TO DO IT!

Here is the problem...

The problem is we have too many Pitt fans who still dwell in the past. They believe (and this is key) that Pitt is on the same competitive playing field as all of the other schools like OSU, Michigan, ND, etc...They believe what's holding Pitt back is a cheap, incompetent, administration and nothing else.
HAVEN'T heard a single poster claim pitt was at a level playing field with the above mentioned schools. And most don't expect results like those schools. Honestly I would be happy if Pitt was at a level where they would win 32 games over a 4 year period!
They believe that to win at a high level immediately, all you have to do is fire the coach, and spend big bucks to replace him. Problem solved...
I don't think they should fire PN. But hiring the right coach and giving him a budget like that of most p5 schools for recruiting and attendance would fix the issues.
They also believe that the attendance issues could be solved tomorrow. All Pitt needs to do is to spend millions on a new campus stadium, even though there's no place to put it and would only be used six times a year... They blame the lack of action on a cheap, incompetent administration who is more focused on education than providing these kielbasa eating, sauerkraut smelling, fools some entertainment.
I have said many times a on campus stadium is a waste of money. If they are willing to spend 500 million invest a fraction of that back towards coaches salaries and you will get more bang for your buck
Finally, they believe that every local 4 star kid should go to Pitt. If they don't, it is a reflection on the coach and therefore should be fired and replaced with a proven P5 coach that can recruit and bring along assistant coaches that can do the same. If that doesn't happen, it's because Pitt is run by a cheap, incompetent, administration who isn't willing to cheat...
Pitt will never land every 4 star out of the WPA but a good recruiter should get half of them. See DW for a example
These same Iron City beer drinking buffoons, don't see any obstacles or challenges for an urban school like Pitt. They believe money is printed in the Cathedral of Learning basement and then kept by a ruthless, sadomasochistic group of people known as "the administration"
they spent just as much or more on coaches salaries before entering the ACC, you can't tell me travel and the few other sports they added have cost a additonal 12 million.
Sheesh!

On top of that you need to have said coach want to come. Miami is an easier sell because of location and they were lucky enough richt was an alum. agree miami is a much much easier sell

Pitt not as easy as a sell. Fickle fanbase and little support. If a Mora or someone would WANT to come to Pitt I think Pitt would pay.
miami has a fickle fan base and little support as well! When using this example I don't think anyone expects that if Pitt 4 million on a coach that they would have miami's current results because quite frankly they wouldn't. But I would expect that if they hired the right coach and spent the money they can win 8 to 10 games a year. Maybe that improvement over the current level of 6 wins isn't worth the investment for the university I don't know.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Also didn't we just have a coach that is now leading his team to a playoff run and we wanted him gone?
A few fans but most didn't want him run off at that point. He left and most were disappointed because of the constant turnover not because they thought he was a great coach.

Reactions: Pitt MD

"HAVEN'T heard a single poster claim pitt was at a was at a level playing field with the above mentioned schools. And most don't expect results like those schools. Honestly I would be happy if Pitt was at a level where they would win 32 games over a 4 year period!"

I Already answered that question on a previous post. It is implied..

So Wendy's says eat enough crappy burgers until we can afford good meat, that's only if you and others eat enough crappy burgers , we will upgrade the meat??? Really???
Great post!

Really it all comes down to this and posters like thepanthers can come to grips with it or not.
Donations and attendance are not magically going to improve. Pitt can either continue on their current path in which chances are nothing will change for any significant period or they can choose to invest in better beef in hopes that if they do people will consume it. THATS IT. There is no magical third choice where people go eat the crappy beef until they can afford better stuff ITS SIMPLY NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! So they can either continue to sell crap or invest and hope it gets better. Those are the only choices, the dies have been cast. Either invest and hope your customers buy it or don't and know they never will. If they invest for a period of 10 years and they are still getting the same crappy sales then maybe its time to close the doors. Or they can close the doors now but doing the same thing over and over isn't going to change anything and posters(fewer of them) will be on here saying the same shit in 10 years

Exaggeration? You've just made my case. So the same administration has been in charge for the last 50 years? They are to blame for all the problems of today? Yes! Let's fire them all start over......AGAIN.... Great job of revisionist history... The AD was chosen with the imput of a committee made up of some of the coaches that would be working for Barnes. It was not solely picked by Gallagher himself...

Ok... this message board has now made you Chancellor of Pitt... Tell us what you would be doing now that the present administration is not doing? And while you're doing that, the rest of us will blame you for all the failures of the last 50 years...

Put down the crack pipe yinzer...,
Not a yinzer. And I'm not qualified to be Chancellor, neither is Gallagher, it seems.
All I've done is point out the idiotic mismanagement of things by Pitt. That has turned off thousands of potential fans and donors. Would you give your $$ to a charity that has failed for decades?? And the committee you cite selected Barnes....but Gallagher OKed it. My guess he listened to the one donor who wanted to be a rainmaker...and was oblivious to Barnes' campaigning to leave. So Gallagher brought in Barnes, let him push out Dixon, then hire a washed-up mediocrity who got a fat contract through the good old boy network. That's a fat bunch of mistakes, par for the course. Lastly, he hires a nice lady A.D., at a Title IX discount and expects her to clean up the mess. Oh, and now fans are calling for Duzz to be replaced. Who will he listen to, this time?
The guy had no experience with athletics at all....and it shows.
Give up on providing excuses...Pitt's in worse shape now than when i arrived here 50 years ago.

I’m more a bb guy , but trust me 4 mil buys Pitt a whole different level of coaching . Plus that was the last coach hired . Enfield or Archie would’ve paid attention to 4 mil .
Do they hire Heather if their serious about revenue sports ? Did she come at the right price ?
Pitts not interested in playing big time ball , I understand that a lot of others don’t .
When they get serious if ever maybe then there will be other serious people with the bankroll to change things , but no one is going to step up and waste their money with these
academia s running the ship .
Ok. You had mentioned a football coach so....

Like Sean, Archie Miller and his dad were coming no where near Pitt, even if you paid them $14 million
Enfield? Have to look at what he makes at USC, but I bet it’s sufficient enough to where Pitt isn’t going to lure him

Who would you have hired for AD? Sounds like Heathers biggest issue for you is her name. All I know making a low level place like Eastern Michigan viable is an accomplishment, so her hire looks good on paper to me. Time will tell who’s right

The issue isn't the coach, it is the support that the coach needs in order to compete! And right now that support isn't going to come from the fans because the perception is Pitt doesn't care enough to win so why donate.
And again, you got any actual evidence that Pitt doesn’t care? Not just hunches and uninformed opinions
Would you have even started this thread if Pitt found the end zone at the end of the last game?

Reactions: ThePanthers
Great job on the exaggeration. 50 years of general stupidity will turn people off. Does Pitt get a free pass on everything?? It WAS Pitt who pushed out Jock, Jackie & Jamie. Pitt chose to let the Stadium fall apart, then declared it no longer adequate. Pitt gave extended contracts to Foge, Willard, Evans and then let them go. Pitt gave that fluffy golden parachute to SP, then let him go, Pitt hired a retread to please a bum A.D. who was dying to leave Pitt. Did Pitt get a buyout from Corvallis?? Did Pitt get a full buyout after pushing our best hoops coach out the door? Did Jock Sutherland leave Pitt because he was treated well??
You're the one sounding like a knuckledragging yinzer.
Others have answered its south beach, sure that is why they are able to recruit at a level Pitt can only dream about but it doesn't explain why they are able to pay the coaches. Pitt could do the same thing they won't have the same results but they would have better results than they are currently getting. THEY SIMPLY DON'T CARE ENOUGH TO DO IT!

If a Mark Richt would want to come here, I'm sure they'd pay that $4MM. Especially if the boosters got behind it. They proved they'd pay for a top coach with Jamie Dixon. You have to earn it first, and also someone at that caliber would have to want to come here.

And again, look at the UCLA situation. All the national media have mentioned the BOOSTERS stepped up to pay the buyout and are willing to pay for Chip Kelly.

This "they don't care enough to do it" is garbage IMO.

Reactions: OriginalEther
miami has a fickle fan base and little support as well! When using this example I don't think anyone expects that if Pitt 4 million on a coach that they would have miami's current results because quite frankly they wouldn't. But I would expect that if they hired the right coach and spent the money they can win 8 to 10 games a year. Maybe that improvement over the current level of 6 wins isn't worth the investment for the university I don't know.

Considering Pitt won 8 games 2 years in a row under Narduzzi and fans still didn't show up probably says otherwise. The fickle fans are always moving the bar.

Get rid of Steve P and we'll donate!
Get rid of Block PITT and we'll donate!
Win 8 games and we'll donate!
Wait, you did all of that, build an on campus stadium and we'll donate!

If they built an on campus stadium and won 10 games a year, then it would be that they'd have to go undefeated.

It's time to put up where your mouth was a couple years ago! DO SOMETHING TO FIX PITT FOOTBALL!!

And I don't want to hear Pitt doesn't get enough donations. Who in their right mind is going to donate to what we are experiencing?? Pitt has put itself in a position where they will have to fork over the money up front to try and win then wait for the donations. Donations aren't going to come first at this point. No one to blame but yourself Pitt Administration and BOT
How do you fix a program with low donations??? LOL ...

I know this is a foreign concept but folks usually when you want change you gotta pay for it somehow... it happens literally at every program where they take football seriously... it’s not pro sports... it’s college football... boosters... etc... that’s how it’s always worked...acting like the wounded fan withholding donations has the diametrically opposing result of what’s wanted...

If Barnes got one thing right it was pointing this out ... you can’t be near the top of the ACC in living Alumni and near the bottom in donations and expect magical unicorns...

It’s absurd...

How do you fix a program with low donations??? LOL ...

I know this is a foreign concept but folks usually when you want change you gotta pay for it somehow... it happens literally at every program where they take football seriously... it’s not pro sports... it’s college football... boosters... etc... that’s how it’s always worked...acting like the wounded fan withholding donations has the diametrically opposing result of what’s wanted...

If Barnes got one thing right it was pointing this out ... you can’t be near the top of the ACC in living Alumni and near the bottom in donations and expect magical unicorns...

It’s absurd...

Amen.

Pitt is already subsidizing athletics significantly. IMO, that shows they care. Heather Lyke has the toughest job in Pittsburgh IMO.

Except at Pitt.

Stewart Mandel
‏Verified account@slmandel
24h24 hours ago

Stewart Mandel Retweeted UCLA Football

When boosters are frustrated enough, you can always find the money.https://twitter.com/UCLAFootball/status/932323855401492480…

Stewart Mandel added,

DPBHj-hVoAAWgK5.jpg

UCLA FootballVerified account@UCLAFootball
UCLA head football coach Jim Mora has been relieved of his duties. https://ucla.in/2yZy5qa pic.twitter.com/P4juhm43dQ
11:07 AM - 19 Nov 2017

8 replies 23 retweets 45 likes

It’s astonishing that people in Pittsburgh can’t grasp this.... it’s exactly how it works...Michigan got tired of Hoke ... boosters get the money... they don’t stop attending games en masses either ... it’s so ridiculous yet people want to continue believing that results come from thin air and acting wounded...

It didn’t ...it hasn’t ... and it won’t ever work that way ever. Please take a look at how others do things... again it’s not pro sports... even at the high school level when it comes to paying staff more.z... it comes from people pushing collectively in the same direction... it requires money ... it requires positivity... it requires a better attitude in general than about 95% of the posters on this board demonstrate on a regular basis...

It’s astonishing that people in Pittsburgh can’t grasp this.... it’s exactly how it works...Michigan got tired of Hoke ... boosters get the money... they don’t stop attending games en masses either ... it’s so ridiculous yet people want to continue believing that results come from thin air and acting wounded...

It didn’t ...it hasn’t ... and it won’t ever work that way ever. Please take a look at how others do things... again it’s not pro sports... even at the high school level when it comes to paying staff more.z... it comes from people pushing collectively in the same direction... it requires money ... it requires positivity... it requires a better attitude in general than about 95% of the posters on this board demonstrate on a regular basis...

And it's difficult to find "the one". Michigan pushed out Hoke, spend $9M on Harbaugh, and not much has changed. It may, who knows, but so far, it hasn't.

ND has been trying to find their coach to take them to the promised land for years. And these are places with much deeper funds that can minimize the mistake if they go the wrong route.

Pitt found their gold in the 70s/early 80s. Other schools that have similar profiles as Pitt find theirs for short windows and then fade off. There are only a small handful of schools that can be at the top long term.

But when the fanbase just gives up, and even when things are going well, just wait for the shoe to drop and not do anything to help move things forward, there really is no hope. Again, this isn't pro sports. It's college athletics and it thrives on donations, ticket sales, and fan support, which inturn helps recruiting, which in turn helps winning.

I'm pretty much done with this conversation going forward. It's not even worth it anymore. I'm just going to continue to go to the games, donate what I can, and root for Pitt.

...Pitt's in worse shape now than when i arrived here 50 years ago.

50 years ago the Pittsburgh metro area had like 2.8 million people, now it has 2.3 million. In the same time frame, the population of the United States went from 197 million to 323 million.

It's not surprising we lost ground since the glory days.

Though to be pedantic, when you moved here 50 years ago in 1967, Pitt was also 1-9 in football. Basketball was in a four year stretch where the team never won more than 7 games. Dave Hart was 3-27 in his three years coaching Pitt Football. That was in the we're not trying era. Not is the we're trying but sort of incompetent era. Very different!

50 years ago the Pittsburgh metro area had like 2.8 million people, now it has 2.3 million. In the same time frame, the population of the United States went from 197 million to 323 million.

It's not surprising we lost ground since the glory days.

Though to be pedantic, when you moved here 50 years ago in 1967, Pitt was also 1-9 in football. Basketball was in a four year stretch where the team never won more than 7 games. Dave Hart was 3-27 in his three years coaching Pitt Football. That was in the we're not trying era. Not is the we're trying but sort of incompetent era. Very different!

Yeah, from 1964 to 1972 (around 50 years ago), Pitt football went 3, 3, 1, 1, 1, 4, 5, 3, 1 wins. In this era where we are supposedly worse off, the 8 year period we won 9, 10, 8, 6, 6, 7, 6, 8, 8. THE HORROR I TELL YA!!

Same time period for BB 50 years ago 7, 5, 6, 7, 4, 12, 14, 12, 12. Today 31, 24, 28, 22, 24, 26, 19, 21, 16.

Ok. You had mentioned a football coach so....

Like Sean, Archie Miller and his dad were coming no where near Pitt, even if you paid them $14 million
Enfield? Have to look at what he makes at USC, but I bet it’s sufficient enough to where Pitt isn’t going to lure him

Who would you have hired for AD? Sounds like Heathers biggest issue for you is her name. All I know making a low level place like Eastern Michigan viable is an accomplishment, so her hire looks good on paper to me. Time will tell who’s right
I kind of like the name Heather , but she has absolutely no P5 experience in the two major revenue areas .
I have no inside info , but I’d be willing to say she came at the right price , we’ll see how she manages a very difficult bb situation and if PN doesn’t turn the ship around next yr Fb becomes a real issue when there’s no home games against PSU and ND on theIr schedule in 19 to inflat season ticket sales . Very few people care what the volleyball and swim ( etc ) teams do , she’ll be measured by the bb and Fb teams success and the level of donations .
The Millers ,we’re really only talking about Archie , Sean was never leaving Az to come here and you might be right about Archie . Enfield is another story , he worked USC for a new deal increasing his pay from 1mill to 1.95 . That means Pitt was offering him nowhere near JDs numbers . ( what a surprise ) Pitt won’t pay to get a coach and when they move on from KS and PN you’ll see they’ll find coaches that won’t move the needle .

Not a yinzer. And I'm not qualified to be Chancellor, neither is Gallagher, it seems.
All I've done is point out the idiotic mismanagement of things by Pitt. That has turned off thousands of potential fans and donors. Would you give your $$ to a charity that has failed for decades?? And the committee you cite selected Barnes....but Gallagher OKed it. My guess he listened to the one donor who wanted to be a rainmaker...and was oblivious to Barnes' campaigning to leave. So Gallagher brought in Barnes, let him push out Dixon, then hire a washed-up mediocrity who got a fat contract through the good old boy network. That's a fat bunch of mistakes, par for the course. Lastly, he hires a nice lady A.D., at a Title IX discount and expects her to clean up the mess. Oh, and now fans are calling for Duzz to be replaced. Who will he listen to, this time?
The guy had no experience with athletics at all....and it shows.
Give up on providing excuses...Pitt's in worse shape now than when i arrived here 50 years ago.

Name one person who is still here after 50 years that we can blame for everything that has happened over that time period.

We can play that game forever.. I blame Obama for the stock market crash of 1929. Why not? I'll also blame him for getting us into Vietnam... That's fair isn't???

Gallagher hired Barnes with the approval of the search committee that was put together (including Narduzzi). It was not solely a one man decision. Once the hire is made, it is up to that person to run the show with no interference. Barnes pushed Jamie out the door. Barnes is no longer here. He took a lesser position. Why? Maybe because his superior (Gallagher) wasn't happy with how the BB coach hiring went down and told him to start looking?

That nice lady had worked for years at Ohio State. She has an idea on how a successful AD OC run. No P5 AD was coming here. So we found someone who has a lot of experience at a successful P5 school..

Quit trying to assign blame for everything that happens, especially the present day administration.

If a Mark Richt would want to come here, I'm sure they'd pay that $4MM. Especially if the boosters got behind it. They proved they'd pay for a top coach with Jamie Dixon. You have to earn it first, and also someone at that caliber would have to want to come here.

And again, look at the UCLA situation. All the national media have mentioned the BOOSTERS stepped up to pay the buyout and are willing to pay for Chip Kelly.

This "they don't care enough to do it" is garbage IMO.
Richt turned us down in 1996. He's not stupid. Pitt's boosters want control....they need to be courted, but not make decisions. Why don't they fund Stallings buyout???? Maybe they don't trust Pitt's bigwigs.
Time for SMF to wonder why Tepper doesn't treat Pitt like Pickens at OSU or Knight at Oregon.

[QUOTE="Fsgolfdr, post: 2088364, member: 4122"]I kind of like the name Heather , but she has absolutely no P5 experience in the two major revenue areas .
I have no inside info , but I’d be willing to say she came at the right price
, we’ll see how she manages a very difficult bb situation and if PN doesn’t turn the ship around next yr Fb becomes a real issue when there’s no home games against PSU and ND on theIr schedule in 19 to inflat season ticket sales . Very few people care what the volleyball and swim ( etc ) teams do , she’ll be measured by the bb and Fb teams success and the level of donations .
The Millers ,we’re really only talking about Archie , Sean was never leaving Az to come here and you might be right about Archie . Enfield is another story , he worked USC for a new deal increasing his pay from 1mill to 1.95 . That means Pitt was offering him nowhere near JDs numbers . ( what a surprise ) Pitt won’t pay to get a coach and when they move on from KS and PN you’ll see they’ll find coaches that won’t move the needle .[/QUOTE]

You're correct that Lyke had no exposure to revenue sports at Ohio State since she managed mostly non revenue womens sports!

Everyone is singing her praises when she was at the insignificant EMU for increasing football performance and attendance for one year??

This year EMU is 3-7 and will most likely lose their last two games to end the season 3-9.

Here's an EMU football attendance update. "They be in big heap trouble" and may not have a football program if this continues. Whatever she did for EMU football didn't have much staying power?

Eastern Michigan University has long struggled with poor attendance at its home football games.

And despite a surge of efforts from EMU’s athletic department, EMU’s three home games so far this season have averaged an attendance of 3,903 - well below the 15,000 required by the NCAA.

So Lyke had one good year at EMU when they went 7-6 in the weakest MAC Eastern Conference and made a bowl game.

Whatever she did at EMU it
lasted one year???

Typical Pitt! Today Pitt needs an experienced AD ( man or woman) who can fix a really broken basketball program and make sure football stays on track and trends upward.
Football needs a strong AD ( man or woman) with P5 experience to be sure football gets what they need to keep moving forward!

Working on alot of non revenue sports at Pitt is the wrong focus at this time!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pitt MD
Name one person who is still here after 50 years that we can blame for everything that has happened over that time period.

We can play that game forever.. I blame Obama for the stock market crash of 1929. Why not? I'll also blame him for getting us into Vietnam... That's fair isn't???

Gallagher hired Barnes with the approval of the search committee that was put together (including Narduzzi). It was not solely a one man decision. Once the hire is made, it is up to that person to run the show with no interference. Barnes pushed Jamie out the door. Barnes is no longer here. He took a lesser position. Why? Maybe because his superior (Gallagher) wasn't happy with how the BB coach hiring went down and told him to start looking?

That nice lady had worked for years at Ohio State. She has an idea on how a successful AD OC run. No P5 AD was coming here. So we found someone who has a lot of experience at a successful P5 school..

Quit trying to assign blame for everything that happens, especially the present day administration.
If it were one person over 50 years, maybe we'd be OK. It's been a succession of bad choices.....Bozik, Jaynes,, SP ,Long SP,Barnes. Before Cas it was Hamilton, who drove off Frank Kush. It's 35 years since Bozik insulted Sherrill.....we haven't been relevant for years. Barnes was looking long before the Dixon mistake....then left after his fixed deal with Turner.
Your whole argument about this group has only been here a few years is irrelevant. Pitt fans have put up with this for a long time. Gallagher seems like a good person....but I've seen nothing that says he's committed. No more free look for him....time to either crap or get off the pot. Frankly, Pitt doesn't deserve the small core of loyal fans. I feel sorry for the kids.

Richt turned us down in 1996. He's not stupid. Pitt's boosters want control....they need to be courted, but not make decisions. Why don't they fund Stallings buyout???? Maybe they don't trust Pitt's bigwigs.
Time for SMF to wonder why Tepper doesn't treat Pitt like Pickens at OSU or Knight at Oregon.

HAHAHAHA. From everything out there, the donors were the ones that wanted to make the push to move on from Dixon and thought they could hire Miller.

A lot of the major schools, the donors are the ones running the show.

If it were one person over 50 years, maybe we'd be OK. It's been a succession of bad choices.....Bozik, Jaynes,, SP ,Long SP,Barnes. Before Cas it was Hamilton, who drove off Frank Kush. It's 35 years since Bozik insulted Sherrill.....we haven't been relevant for years. Barnes was looking long before the Dixon mistake....then left after his fixed deal with Turner.
Your whole argument about this group has only been here a few years is irrelevant. Pitt fans have put up with this for a long time. Gallagher seems like a good person....but I've seen nothing that says he's committed. No more free look for him....time to either crap or get off the pot. Frankly, Pitt doesn't deserve the small core of loyal fans. I feel sorry for the kids.

BINGO NTOP

In order to have the kind of fans who will pony up to buyout a coach, the program must have compiled decades of success and created an environment where students feel vested in that success. Pitt hasn't done that. Maybe in pockets here and there, but definitely not consistently. Plus, the lack of a demonstrated competence for more than a 3 year window should be a red herring for potential large donors. Who in the right mind would make a large donation to the program after watching the constant dumpster fires that occur?

It shouldn't have been difficult either. Winning should result in more investment to continue winning. Pitt has got to be one of the only programs to not invest. Didn't fix up the stadium. Didn't retain good coaches. Didn't do squat. Sad.

Reactions: Mikefln
Why is it that Pitt alumni dont feel the need to fund the athletic programs like schools of similiar size ? Could it be that old saying “ don’t throw good money after bad “ is the reason ? Pitt has shown through its actions that winning isn’t a priority , but horrible decisions are . Why would any sane person buy into the idea that Pitt is trying to be competitive .They don’t need to say it they need to do it !
It all starts with the current students , they need to get them involved and you do that by winning , not by offering a free drink if you can somehow manage to sit through a whole game . Have pre and post game activities and by the way win . These students eventually become your alumni , it’s a long process to build up a substantial loyal alumni following and it has to start somewhere and with someone’s cash . That cash needs to be the universities because no else believes in them to fund a grossly incompetent group of administrators . Prove us wrong and win , the money will improve from the attendance as will donation money . It will be the best investment they can make .
I attended Pitt from 1971-1975, I saw Johnny Majors and great assistants in action. They got the students interested. They would go to fraternity parties and other popular night spots on Friday and ask the students if they were coming to the game and got them all pumped up. Majors had a a meeting at 8:00 am Monday morning inviting students to attend and he would recap Saturday’s game with a Q & A, called Majors Monday. The attendance was amazing for that time of day. Point is they got involved with the students, which exited everyone.

I attended Pitt from 1971-1975, I saw Johnny Majors and great assistants in action. They got the students interested. They would go to fraternity parties and other popular night spots on Friday and ask the students if they were coming to the game and got them all pumped up. Majors had a a meeting at 8:00 am Monday morning inviting students to attend and he would recap Saturday’s game with a Q & A, called Majors Monday. The attendance was amazing for that time of day. Point is they got involved with the students, which exited everyone.
Yep...100% true. He made a visit to my fraternity house. Majors was behind the Greek system and other organizations forming the tunnel for the team to run thru when they ran out of the locker room.

ADVERTISEMENT