ADVERTISEMENT

Did Paris Ford play??

You’d think Chris Peak would boot this person, whose only contribution to this board attempting to get Pitt fans to besmirch their own players. Example 1,001 of why I’ll never contribute a dime to this site, as much as I’d love to. It’s not run by Pitt fans. Clearly.
You are pathetic.

I agree with you he has talent and I really do hope he puts it all together to reach his potential. But come on the Family members of Ford...you don’t think they are a little biased? If they think putting their thoughts on message boards and Twitter will get the kid more PT that is not the best advice.

Like you I have a good friend who is the uncle of one of our players. I would never post anything he told me because it’s private. But when you make claims PN is on the hot seat and is not well liked I know this is not true and it’s coming from the ppl you stated above.

The uncle of one of our players I know is different (maybe he is old school). His nephew is a quite kid who would never bitch or tweet crap. But if he complained about PT etc his uncle would tell him “less talk more work”. BTW the uncle loves PN.
That hot seat part I should’ve kept private and players almost quitting on him.. that’s my fault. Glad we came to common ground! Now let’s cheer on our PITT Panthers to get a W Friday night! h2p!

Reactions: 4upmc
He also has blown coverage that lead to an easy TD. I guess you forgot that part.
The problem with this argument is ... are ... the literally hundreds of botched assignments, and poor placement, and missed tackles, and being outright physically dominated, by the guys that keep getting rolled out there ... play after play.

It's possible this guy would blow as many if he got as many reps, but it's undeniable that the current guys do.

Frankly it's a surprise Pitt has won as many games as it has. The defense is that atrocious with the current group.

The scheme almost certainly is most of the issue, but after 4 years and two coordinators, it is not going to be changed. Duz will go down to the ship with this scheme flying high on the top mast.

The only hope for better results then is trying other players for sustained periods.

I mean, sh*t yeah, Ford likely has been burned on a play maybe as much as 50% of the time when he was in there. But if the regular defense gets burned closer to 80% of the time, and that may be a conservative number last week ... that's not as damming. It might even be sign of superiority..."only" 50% failure

50% still stinks, don't get me wrong. Ford might well suck. Again, maybe D isn't for this guy. My points here haven't been at all about giving Ford a job he doesn't deserve, it's about showing an effort publicly to leverage him somehow, somewhere, for the optics. And letting news of that effort get widely disseminated.

I actually suspect he's as worthless as most of you seem to. When you look closely at the quitting and moving from high school to high school, that's usually a warning sign. But right or wrong he had high stars and a ton of great offers, so for a coach who rarely gets any of these kinds of guys, it's simply a bad reflection to let Ford rot, especially in the face of horrible results with obviously unqualified players getting the PT ahead of him. The casual observer... and the opposing coaches... are going to seize on that.

But beyond Ford, for the current secondary, whether the other backups are 0 star or 5 star, other guys should be getting more of the chance.

The problem with this argument is ... are ... the literally hundreds of botched assignments, and poor placement, and missed tackles, and being outright physically dominated, by the guys that keep getting rolled out there ... play after play.

It's possible this guy would blow as many if he got as many reps, but it's undeniable that the current guys do.

Frankly it's a surprise Pitt has won as many games as it has. The defense is that atrocious with the current group.

The scheme almost certainly is most of the issue, but after 4 years and two coordinators, it is not going to be changed. Duz will go down to the ship with this scheme flying high on the top mast.

The only hope for better results then is trying other players for sustained periods.

I mean, sh*t yeah, Ford likely has been burned on a play maybe as much as 50% of the time when he was in there. But if the regular defense gets burned closer to 80% of the time, and that may be a conservative number last week ... that's not as damming. It might even be sign of superiority..."only" 50% failure

50% still stinks, don't get me wrong. Ford might well suck. Again, maybe D isn't for this guy. My points here haven't been at all about giving Ford a job he doesn't deserve, it's about showing an effort publicly to leverage him somehow, somewhere, for the optics. And letting news of that effort get widely disseminated.

I actually suspect he's as worthless as most of you seem to. When you look closely at the quitting and moving from high school to high school, that's usually a warning sign. But right or wrong he had high stars and a ton of great offers, so for a coach who rarely gets any of these kinds of guys, it's simply a bad reflection to let Ford rot, especially in the face of horrible results with obviously unqualified players getting the PT ahead of him. The casual observer... and the opposing coaches... are going to seize on that.

But beyond Ford, for the current secondary, whether the other backups are 0 star or 5 star, other guys should be getting more of the chance.
That is exactly where I stand. Give him a game. If he blows, well then, at last we know he blows and we can play someone else. He doesn't have to become Jalen Ramsey or Darelle Revis to be better than what is playing ahead of him. I am really surprised that the coaches and Ford have not put a plan together, where Ford has to show them he is working, and in turn the staff gives him meaningful playing time. Maybe it has happened and Ford blew it off. This just looks horrible for Pitt. They have been an absolutely awful defense with the notable exception of the Notre Dame game, and yet the local prize recruit doesn't get a chance to hit the field. The kid and the coaches share the blame for this.

Reactions: Steve_H2P
He also has blown coverage that lead to an easy TD. I guess you forgot that part.

Briggs has about 20 of those.

x9dUvCu.jpg

Some of you guys act as if he hasn't played a down all year, and the coaches are being mean to him and us by not handing him the job.

In addition to playing this season, do you not think he's evaluated each week in practice?

So, to recap: He's had live snaps in games. Check. He's practiced with the team, including film review to know assignments. Check.

He's not starting, and not seeing increased playing time and the guy making millions of dollars to coach the team is wrong about who is the best to play (or, at the very least, not the worst). Check.

Some of you guys act as if he hasn't played a down all year, and the coaches are being mean to him and us by not handing him the job.

In addition to playing this season, do you not think he's evaluated each week in practice?

So, to recap: He's had live snaps in games. Check. He's practiced with the team, including film review to know assignments. Check.

He's not starting, and not seeing increased playing time and the guy making millions of dollars to coach the team is wrong about who is the best to play (or, at the very least, not the worst). Check.
I have no idea what the issue is. What we do know is our defense is terrible and the players ahead of him are not P5 athletes. The guy making millions of dollars to coach the team went out of his way to say how good Ford was and would be. The guy making millions of dollars to coach the team isn't doing a very good job in a lot of ways. Maybe this is another. Maybe it isn't.

Reactions: 88Pitt88
I have no idea what the issue is. What we do know is our defense is terrible and the players ahead of him are not P5 athletes. The guy making millions of dollars to coach the team went out of his way to say how good Ford was and would be. The guy making millions of dollars to coach the team isn't doing a very good job in a lot of ways. Maybe this is another. Maybe it isn't.
I'm with you. This is the guy making millions 4th year here and his defense has been terrible really all 4 years, and I am not seeing improvement. Maybe it is the scheme, maybe it is the players. I tend to think it is the scheme since there have been alot of different players, some who are now in the NFL, that have not made the defense better. I don't know what many of you see in PN that make you feel he is infallable. As Jp has said, he is not burning anything up here in year 4. He has been bullheaded and inflexible when it comes to his scheme, and I have seen no growth from him in 4 years. All we get is the same old same old. Trot the same guys out in the same failing system week after week, and expect things to get better. After 4 years, it is unlikely anyone he puts out there is going to vastly improve his D. If I had my choice, I would rather PN adopt a new defensive scheme than play Paris Ford in the current scheme. That said, with Narduzzi I am sure I will get neither a new scheme or Ford getting more time. I can count on more of the same from him, alot of watching our safeties whiff on tackles and get beaten deep, just as they have been all season.

Isn't it possible that he has not done it in practice? I've not met a coach who trusted a player to do in a game what they couldn't do in practice.
Practice has got to matter. If it doesn't matter then the players can do what they want whenever they want.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
I'm with you. This is the guy making millions 4th year here and his defense has been terrible really all 4 years, and I am not seeing improvement. Maybe it is the scheme, maybe it is the players. I tend to think it is the scheme since there have been alot of different players, some who are now in the NFL, that have not made the defense better. I don't know what many of you see in PN that make you feel he is infallable. As Jp has said, he is not burning anything up here in year 4. He has been bullheaded and inflexible when it comes to his scheme, and I have seen no growth from him in 4 years. All we get is the same old same old. Trot the same guys out in the same failing system week after week, and expect things to get better. After 4 years, it is unlikely anyone he puts out there is going to vastly improve his D. If I had my choice, I would rather PN adopt a new defensive scheme than play Paris Ford in the current scheme. That said, with Narduzzi I am sure I will get neither a new scheme or Ford getting more time. I can count on more of the same from him, alot of watching our safeties whiff on tackles and get beaten deep, just as they have been all season.
Some people just like to win the internet, is what it comes down to.

By blindly agreeing with the coach, or the AD, or the chancellor etc... knowing that they don't give a squat and aren't going to change anything ... despite the awful, hopeless results... you "win" the debate.

Only Jesus or possibly Nick Saban and Bill Belichick are beyond criticism. But a guy coming off 5-7 and stumbling toward probably the same again, and with almost certainly the worst defense in America across a four year period, is definitely worthy of critique. It's almost too easy as a matter of fact. Agreeing blindly with him on everything is moronic.

Same for Pitt's leadership; possibly they've been ok as school admins, but as stewards of two major professional sports (as P5 college football and basketball certainly are), it's basically been 40 years of abysmal incompetence. When truly great moments for two sports since 1976 can easily be counted on one Simpsons hand ... oh yeah, criticism is valid.

This thread case in point. The defense is awful. Certain players are clearly not qualified. Not using your top recruit at all, anywhere, while several awful players make regular fools of themselves at multiple positions, every week is bad. Arguing that, and worse, giving the coach who is producing these laughable results, branch davidian devotion for his decisions, is mentally challenged. Yet several passionately are. "The coaches see him every week". They also see Briggs, and Zeise, and, well, they DON'T see a TE/H-back BECAUSE WE HAVE NONE, none worth a dam anyway. They see 150 lb wieners from Duke, or 275 lb QBs from UNC, putting up Heisman performances. They see all that, and change nothing, so why the confidence in what they see in Ford? Or Coleman, et al. These guys had the wisdom to sit a true sparkplug player for 8 weeks while Jocky Shock-Ruiz stumbled indifferently for 5 irrelevant yards on countless dismal sweeps. So their judgement is so pristine?

But, by affixing one's lips permanently o the posterior of the goofballs responsible that have no accountability for their idiocy, it "wins" the board. Really, it isn't that terrible an idea, since none of this matters any way, might as well "win" it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 88Pitt88
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT