ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Last year, I remember staying up late one evening in early January to write “Dribbles” after a nifty 9:00pm win against the Virginia Cavaliers. Before this game tonight, I wondered just for moment if I would need to make such an effort this time. But I quickly realized that continuing to draw any parallels to last year’s surprising season are nothing short of folly.

** I won’t be staying up much later. In fact, the only purpose of this entry is just to show up during the bad as well as the good. And this was certainly bad.

** I even got home reasonably early considering the late start, as there was really no reason to stick around once the Duke lead crossed over the 30 point mark.

** There’s also little use attempting to break this down. But I’ll add a description or two.

** In one of the game threads, @goalieman posted he said this looks like the Varsity vs. the JV. I replied that it looked more like Varsity vs. the 8th grade.

** Here’s another try. Duke looked like a powerful engine hitting on all cylinders, while we looked like a used bicycle.

** I’m having a difficult time deciding whether the Panthers effort was substandard, or if it just looked that way because we simply powerless.

** All I can say for sure is that it looked like the Dukies accumulated a 25 point halftime lead without seemingly breaking a sweat.

** I’m having an equally difficult time deciding what the Panthers are playing for the rest of the way. The NCAA’s are way out of reach, and only a completely implausible turnaround even allows for the possibility of something like the NIT.

** I suppose watching the growth of our freshman backcourt is worth watching, but it the days of NIL and transfers, it is far from certainty that they will even be here next year.

** Maybe the only thing that’s still on the table is finding a path to improvement on the road to this team being the best team they can be. The problem however, is that at midnight tonight, our best just doesn’t look like much.

** Nonetheless, I’ll be there next Tuesday hoping for the best. At least that one starts at 7:00pm.

Back to mean, whatever that is. It has that lost cause feeling about it again.

** Last year, I remember staying up late one evening in early January to write “Dribbles” after a nifty 9:00pm win against the Virginia Cavaliers. Before this game tonight, I wondered just for moment if I would need to make such an effort this time. But I quickly realized that continuing the draw any parallels to last year’s surprising season are nothing short of folly.

** I won’t be staying up much later. In fact, the only purpose of this entry is just to show up during the bad as well as the good. And this was certainly bad.

** I even got home reasonably early considering the late start, as there was really no reason to stick around once the Duke lead crossed over the 30 point mark.

** There’s also little use attempting to break this down. But I’ll add a description or two.

** In one of the game threads, @goalieman posted he said this looks like the Varsity vs. the JV. I replied that it looked more like Varsity vs. the 8th grade.

** Here’s another try. Duke looked like a powerful engine hitting on all cylinders, while we looked like a used bicycle.

** I’m having a difficult time deciding whether the Panthers effort was substandard, or if it just looked that way because we simply powerless.

** All I can say for sure is that it looked like the Dukies accumulated a 25 point halftime lead without seemingly breaking a sweat.

** I’m having an equally difficult time deciding what the Panthers are playing for the rest of the way. The NCAA’s are way out of reach, and only a completely implausible turnaround even allows for the possibility of something like the NIT.

** I suppose watching the growth of our freshman backcourt is worth watching, but it the days of NIL and transfers, it is far from certainty that they will even be here next year.

** Maybe the only thing that’s still on the table is finding a path to improvement on the road to this team being the best team they can be. The problem however, is that at midnight tonight, our best just doesn’t look like much.

** Nonetheless, I’ll be there next Tuesday hoping for the best. At least that one starts at 7:00pm.
I was hoping to read your thoughts on this looking like another dud of a season by a Jeff Capel coached team. Last season was a 1 off, this product we saw tonight has been a staple of the Capel era from day 1 and add Stallings before that.

Pitt is a bottom 4 ACC team, I've posted that for almost 2 weeks now and it looks more accurate by the week. SMF kept insisting Pitt will definitely make the NIT and I politely told him weeks ago that ain't happening either.

Not really sure what some of you saw to keep believing this team was any good, but after they played real P5 competition a month ago I knew the team stinks. I got excited after their 4-0 start stupidly and then reality hit. Pitt is a poorly coached team with a very flawed roster. The expected growth of Federiko and the twins never happened and in fact they all regressed. Blake is now a shell of himself and I'm not sure I see it changing(wish we all knew what happened with him).

This team can and probably will finish with 4 ACC wins. Year 6 of Jeff Capel. If that isn't a call for Heather Lyke to move on from Jeff Capel I don't know what will be.

I'll say this. As a Pitt alum and fan, whenever we play Duke, I find myself harkening back to a certain game when we defeated the Blue Devils in MSG. When our great PG hit a dagger 3 to win it with seconds left. And when he then leapt onto the scorer's table in celebration of the victory. Lord knows, I miss those times when we could go toe-to-toe with the very best and win. Because where we are now is nowhere close. And it sucks.

- What pisses me off is we always seem to get Duke's best effort. Flip had 10 points the last 2 games. They lost to GT a few weeks ago. They'll mess around and lose to like BC or something. But against us, they look like Laettner/Hurley/Hill.

- I posted in another thread it looked like Varsity vs JV but that was mainly because they were running the same offense. Duke was just doing it with better players

- This is a new NIT. No auto bids. 17-14 could get us in like the old days. Still super disappointed at this season though.

- Capel gets 25-26 but needs to make the NCAAT or have Meleek Thomas signed.

- This team just cannot manufacture any easy baskets. Its almost like watching Dixon 2 ball again where its become painful to watch our offensive possessions.

- Hopefully Lowe and Bub stay but beyond that, we need a talent infusion.

- I left at halftime along with hundreds of the overflow students. Earliest I've ever left any Pitt game. The 9PM start had something to do with it.

- had to be the largest student crowd in Pete history. They couldn't sell any tickets so they must have done something similar to like the Pens Student Rush. Swaths of students in the upper deck corners and lower endzones. Probably 2500 total.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Before the game, was texting with another PITT alum…he referenced our ability to hit threes to keep us in the game, while I said we had to neutralize their interior play…we did neither.

IS duke that superb or are we that weak…or is it a combination of the two?

hail to PITT!
-al-

hail to PITT!
-al-
Yes, yes, and yes.

Pitt appears to be a team that can compete just fine with other mediocre teams, and should win all games vs the bottom feeders. I really don't see them winning any conference games against the likes of Wake, GT, Miami, VT or Duke again. If we can somehow squeeze out 8 wins this year it'll be amazing

Before the game, was texting with another PITT alum…he referenced our ability to hit threes to keep us in the game, while I said we had to neutralize their interior play…we did neither.

hail to PITT!
-al-

Duke obviously has a huge talent advantage over Pitt, but they aren't near as good as Pitt made them look. I thought it was just a piss poor effort all the way around.

I expected Pitt to struggle offensively. I didn't expect such a lame effort on the defensive end.

Reactions: CCHS82
I didn't expect such a lame effort on the defensive end.
I am not too sure it was a poor effort. Talk about 8th grade vs Varsity, for example, when your PG is but a gnat vs men, it is not going well, no matter that the effort is truly there.

** Last year, I remember staying up late one evening in early January to write “Dribbles” after a nifty 9:00pm win against the Virginia Cavaliers. Before this game tonight, I wondered just for moment if I would need to make such an effort this time. But I quickly realized that continuing to draw any parallels to last year’s surprising season are nothing short of folly.

As always, thanks for the Dribbles. Much appreciated.

Lol - copying my post from the pay board - basically where I am too —

I can’t help but just be sad reflecting on where this program was to where it is now. No need for history lessons - but from Chipman to Dixon we saw a lot of winning and had largely annual realistic hope for the postseason except for Willard’s worst years .

We are just so easily defended - ball gets stuck in our guards hands - no diversity to anyone’s offensive game . Throw in almost no resistance on defense and .. well here we are.

Question then is the program building ? I really want to say yes - but losing Hinson and presumably Carrington leaves me scratching my head . Almost feels like Maleek Thomas or bust - otherwise what are we doing ?

I like Lowe - but we seem to have players who are like 4-10 (at best) on a tournament team. Need another portal miracle , Cummings to be really good and ready from game 1 and Maleek Thomas or it’s hard to see any chance next year

I’m normally an optimist - but just hard to see reasons . My barometer is when fans like me genuinely just don’t feel like going to games - it’s a problem - that’s where I’m headed -

And , getting plastered by Duke every time we play is hard to take -

I am not too sure it was a poor effort. Talk about 8th grade vs Varsity, for example, when your PG is but a gnat vs men, it is not going well, no matter that the effort is truly there.

I thought Duke played with a lot more energy and purpose. Duke did whatever they wanted offensively with very little resistance from Pitt.

A few tidbits to add:
1. Duke is a terrible matchup because they run the same defense and offense with actual ACC + players and a coach who inherited the Duke culture and is continuing it defensively.
2. Is there any question now that Capel was told it wasn’t him and that’s why he toon Pitt? If you reversed the coaches, Duke may have still won. But it would’ve been a game.
3. Luckily it was a 9 PM ESPN game so we lost the 7 PM lead in early. Not many would’ve stayed up for the entire game
4. I never bought into the Bub hype of being a 1 and done. I mean it was very obvious the first time we played anyone with physicality and athleticism that he will probably not ever be a regular NBA player unless he learns to play off the ball and catch and shoot 3’s. I do buy into the hype he may be a 1 and done at Pitt for NIL though.
5. They won’t do it, but it’s time. We’ve seen enough. Cummings is coming to Pitt. Rip off the bandaid and get someone in here to re recruit him early and actually have a chance at Meleek. He’s on a visit to Auburn this weekend. They’ll pay more. Kentucky will pay more. Have to get someone in here to get a relationship with him. This is looking like a bottom tier Pitt team. He’s not risking his whole career on Jeff Capel.
6. Last year was I after E except after C. The exception not the rule. There’s no way anyone can think differently at this point. No adjustments, no coherent game plan or recruiting strategy. Just kind of grab who you can. Play how we play.
7. Year 6 and we have no cheesy gimmick. I’m a little disappointed. Uncommon courage was a good one. Let’s go back to Brick by Brick

Should any of the following be back?

Jeffres?

Fede?

The twins?

I mean, even if we could just replace them with four lottery tickets and two of them turn out to be Leggett-level talent at their respective positions, it would be an upgrade.

How many spots do we have open organically? I can think of Hinson, Hueitt, and the open spot... two of which will be occupied by incoming freshmen. Then I imagine Barnes moves on, which nets to two. Not enough.

Jeffres?

Fede?

The twins?

I mean, even if we could just replace them with four lottery tickets and two of them turn out to be Leggett-level talent at their respective positions, it would be an upgrade.

How many spots do we have open organically? I can think of Hinson, Hueitt, and the open spot... two of which will be occupied by incoming freshmen. Then I imagine Barnes moves on, which nets to two. Not enough.
Twins yeah. Fede regressed. Not sure. Jeffress would look good at say Lehigh.

Jeffres?

Fede?

The twins?

I’d reset the entire center room unless Fede comes back for nothing and knows he’s Papa’s backup.

The twins stink

I know the schedule has been tough, but I think it's pretty clear at this point this team is a major step down from last year.

Last year was an old, experienced team in an era where that is a major advantage. Building teams around multiple freshmen just isn’t a viable plan for 99.9% of teams. If we’re able to hang onto them, I’m thrilled at the potential for our backcourt to develop but in the moment it’s such a disadvantage to be relying so heavily on freshmen in that spot.

I was curious as to the roster construction this year but given last years success, I was willing to wait and see. This team is sorely lacking athleticism across the board. Step one for next year will be re-recruiting some of the guys we already have, but step two should be getting in some length and athleticism that we can lean on defensively as a crutch for periods where the offense dries up

The twins are like the definition of mid-major players to me. There is a gigantic difference in what they do against lousy vs solid competition. I would keep GDG at a 10 minutes/game guy, but not at the expense of two scholarships.
I don’t hit on every recruit, Champagnie definitely comes to mind.

But for the most part you can tell who’s good and who isn’t by who is recruiting them. The twins were on IMG post grad team and we beat a fired UMass coach for them. Fede was recruited over by Oklahoma State and WVU. It’s like we’re picking up scraps off the table that fell on the ground

The makeup of this roster is very poor. There is some talent but from a competitive standpoinot this is
not a winning team. This of course falls at the feet of JC and his staff. They seem to have caught lightening
in a bottle last year and it was fun and they got their accolades but if they looked at the composition of
this team before the games started and thought they could win then they need to move on.
Any opponent who gets a little physical will hammer Pitt. Kanye would have helped a little bit not enough
to make much difference.

But for the most part you can tell who’s good and who isn’t by who is recruiting them. The twins were on IMG post grad team and we beat a fired UMass coach for them. Fede was recruited over by Oklahoma State and WVU. It’s like we’re picking up scraps off the table that fell on the ground

I loved Chris Payton's tape, so I'm obviously no expert on the matter. But it feels like Capel is a talent-reliant coach (more so than most, I mean) who really isn't landing all that much talent.

Like, shouldn't we be able to employ a better strategist as a head coach and still have a roster with at least this much talent? I'm just not seeing his value, I guess.

I know the schedule has been tough, but I think it's pretty clear at this point this team is a major step down from last year.
Nike, Burton, and even Nelly were grown men with great competitive instincts. Lowe and Bub, while talented, are like boys in comparison. They need time, and with NIL $s, it is hard to even be sure we can retain them. Capel had the blueprint for what it would take to be successful here following last year. Hopefully he can add some men to the roster for next season. It is looking like he got lucky getting 4 senior guards here last year.

Reactions: Jeffburgh

Well this is what bothers me with a kid like Barnes. First of all, aside from like a 7 foot foreign project, redshirt is a major redflag these days. But he seems like another classic example of a kid who as HS sophomore vs now, is the same player. So at one point he was being widely recruited and at the end not so much. I still think Pitt's best opportunities to recruit in the margins of those 22 year old guys, who want to play or start in a major conference.

Then again, we are seeing with Hinson, for whatever reason, aside from not making his shots, he is having trouble taking them and I think one reason why teams don't care and want him to put it on the floor. It is why he is back, he is not an NBA player. Can't create his own shot.

I loved Chris Payton's tape, so I'm obviously no expert on the matter. But it feels like Capel is a talent-reliant coach (more so than most, I mean) who really isn't landing all that much talent.

Like, shouldn't we be able to employ a better strategist as a head coach and still have a roster with at least this much talent? I'm just not seeing his value, I guess.
In the days of NIL where relationships are like the 10th thing a recruit is looking for, it’s pointless to employ someone who is known as a recruiter. Antigua, Kansas’ top lieutenants other than Dooley, etc will never be head coaches again. They can get you in some doors you may not be able to get into otherwise but if you’re not paying it doesn’t matter.

Nike, Burton, and even Nelly were grown men with great competitive instincts. Lowe and Bub, while talented, are like boys in comparison. They need time, and with NIL $s, it is hard to even be sure we can retain them. Capel had the blueprint for what it would take to be successful here following last year. Hopefully he can add some men to the roster for next season. It is looking like he got lucky getting 4 senior guards here last year.

It's unfortunate because surrounded by those multiple veteran guards, Hinson was one of the most exciting Pitt players I've enjoyed watching over the past 10+ years. Thought he had a chance to truly be dominant this year, and the opposite has happened (against ACC competition). It sucks watching him slog into the lane as a driver, miss a million free throws, not get as many open shots, etc.

Well this is what bothers me with a kid like Barnes. First of all, aside from like a 7 foot foreign project, redshirt is a major redflag these days. But he seems like another classic example of a kid who as HS sophomore vs now, is the same player. So at one point he was being widely recruited and at the end not so much. I still think Pitt's best opportunities to recruit in the margins of those 22 year old guys, who want to play or start in a major conference.

Then again, we are seeing with Hinson, for whatever reason, aside from not making his shots, he is having trouble taking them and I think one reason why teams don't care and want him to put it on the floor. It is why he is back, he is not an NBA player. Can't create his own shot.
Hinson is not an NBA player for sure. That said, he is a hell of a college player who is being brought down to a low level because of the team around him. There are no drivers like Burton or Nike to open things up. There also are not any shooters we can count on like Elliott, especially when we are defended physically. Additionally, there is no post presence, to get the ball inside and kick out for open 3s. Didn't have that last year either tho. Hinson needs some players around him and just doesn't have them. We are lucky to have him or this team would be under 500 right now.

hail to PITT!
-al-

It's a combination of both. I tend to think it's more of the later. We are not even close to being a mediocre basketball team right now. We are terrible in all phases of the game. Duke took it easy on us last night and we still lost by 22, only because Duke let it for the last 8 minutes and coasted.

Exactly. Capel is a very poor strategist and gameday coach. He doesn't prepare his teams to play, and in the game he's just a lump standing there. I always thought at least he could land talent, but he hasn't really been doing that either. People say Bub is talent. Maybe so. But not in this system. And Capel doesn't know how to develop Lowe to let him use his talents. Hinson is a good college player but he'll never make it in the NBA. Bub might make it someday, but probably not. And he's at least 2 years away from even knowing if he might.

The kids of this current Pitt roster are not that talented and lack the guts and experience that last year's team had. They demonstrated that last night with their lack of energy, no structure to their game, and being very poor in all phases of the game. Even mediocre teams can show some life in one phase here and there. We didn't show any competency in any phase last night.

I like the twins, but it is in their best interests to transfer to a school where they can be playing the 3 and 4 (primarily the 3 I'd say), not a school like Pitt where we have no choice other than playing them at the 4 and 5. They also need to gain more weight. I don't know who the team nutritionist is, but their caloric intake needs to go way up, maybe another program will figure that out for them.

Jeffres?

Fede?

The twins?

The question is, is Capel capable of getting guys to replace Jeffrees, Fede or the twins? I don't think so any longer. And he certainly doesn't know how to coach them. Other than Champagnie, what players has he developed?

Last night, he could have taken the whole starting 5 and replaced them with players off the bench and the result would have been the same. We don't have the talent, the coach, or the system to win.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Pitt appears to be a team that can compete just fine with other mediocre teams, and should win all games vs the bottom feeders. I really don't see them winning any conference games against the likes of Wake, GT, Miami, VT or Duke again. If we can somehow squeeze out 8 wins this year it'll be amazing

It would be amazing to win 8 ACC games this year. I think we're looking at possibly 6, if we get lucky. Certainly we don't have to worry about making any tournaments.

Lol - copying my post from the pay board - basically where I am too —

I can’t help but just be sad reflecting on where this program was to where it is now. No need for history lessons - but from Chipman to Dixon we saw a lot of winning and had largely annual realistic hope for the postseason except for Willard’s worst years .

We are just so easily defended - ball gets stuck in our guards hands - no diversity to anyone’s offensive game . Throw in almost no resistance on defense and .. well here we are.

Question then is the program building ? I really want to say yes - but losing Hinson and presumably Carrington leaves me scratching my head . Almost feels like Maleek Thomas or bust - otherwise what are we doing ?

I like Lowe - but we seem to have players who are like 4-10 (at best) on a tournament team. Need another portal miracle , Cummings to be really good and ready from game 1 and Maleek Thomas or it’s hard to see any chance next year

I’m normally an optimist - but just hard to see reasons . My barometer is when fans like me genuinely just don’t feel like going to games - it’s a problem - that’s where I’m headed -

And , getting plastered by Duke every time we play is hard to take -

I hear ya'. I've been a fan of Pitt and Pitt basketball since the 60's. I'm an old-timer. And I've never felt like this where I am not looking forward to going to games because I know how the team and program have regressed since the Dixon years. It's very disheartening to watch how poorly they play. No defense, getting killed on rebounding, no ball movement, no energy, no communication. And the coaching! I'm not going to go there for fear that some people on here will attack me.

I'll go to a few games the rest of the year. But frankly, I don't want to feel like this again. I don't have the time to waste on this program like some do. We've been waiting since Dixon left for someone to assemble a decent team. We thought we had something last year. Turns out it was a mirage. Nothing has changed. Nothing will change until the program, the system, the leadership changes.

Reactions: Pitt5593
The way Duke played in the first half was the way Pitt played at Northwestern last yr . Everybody on their team played as well as they could , hitting just about everything . It was impressive. ( but very depressing at the same time )

That probably was the best half of ball played in D1 this yr .

Schools like Duke simply put can recruit and sign guys who are just far more talented than a school like Pitt .

They get guys with Zack‘s athletic ability who are also great Bb players .

Pitt has no answer for a talented big man . The twins are 4’s not 5’s . Why belabor the point on Fede .

Last yrs team had four shooters this team has one . ( and he’s forcing things right now )

Bub is playing like a talented freshman not a lottery pick .

For a school like Pitt is prioritizing High school players the wrong strategy ?

Is Maleek Thomas that good to put a huge amount of your NIL money into him ?

If JC was coaching the Duke players he’d be a very successful HC .

Pitts most pressing needs ( in the portal and on the court ) is a physical presence in the middle , followed by shooters .

Off the court in todays game Pitt needs an extremely wealthy individual or a group of them that care enough about Pitt Bb and Fb to fund the NIL in a way that Pitt is a legitimate player for great players . A million dollars in todays game isn’t going to get it done ..

Last edited:

Thanks DT for your thoughts. I know it's difficult for you, especially you, to try and put any kind of spin on this debacle. You see the good in so many things. But you couldn't see it last night and that's alarming.

Your comment about the freshmen guards, Bub and Jaland, is spot on. I previously stated that I had my doubts also that one or both of them would even be here next year, and not because they'd be in the NBA. And I made that comment when I didn't know we were this bad. I think there's a good possibility that both will be gone. There is NIL money out there and programs where they can let their talents shine through. Pitt isn't that program, unfortunately.

I left at halftime last night, and that is the first time in my almost 60 years of watching Pitt basketball that I left a game at halftime. My whole group left at halftime. After that fantastic crowd we had last night, at least for the first 5 minutes, I doubt we'll see more than 4,000 at games for the rest of the year, including the Zoo. This program is now a cluster$$#@.

We need to devote an entire practice to teaching how to freakin PUMP FAKE!

Something you learn in freshman yr of high school yet we have an entire team that can't PUMP FAKE!

"** I suppose watching the growth of our freshman backcourt is worth watching, but it the days of NIL and transfers, it is far from a certainty that they will even be here next year."

This is the most depressing point in your Dribbles (and in this thread for that matter) Are bad teams and rebuilds all we have to look forward to?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT