ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Game & Other Dribbles ...

Thanks DT for your thoughts. I know it's difficult for you, especially you, to try and put any kind of spin on this debacle. You see the good in so many things. But you couldn't see it last night and that's alarming.

Your comment about the freshmen guards, Bub and Jaland, is spot on. I previously stated that I had my doubts also that one or both of them would even be here next year, and not because they'd be in the NBA. And I made that comment when I didn't know we were this bad. I think there's a good possibility that both will be gone. There is NIL money out there and programs where they can let their talents shine through. Pitt isn't that program, unfortunately.

I left at halftime last night, and that is the first time in my almost 60 years of watching Pitt basketball that I left a game at halftime. My whole group left at halftime. After that fantastic crowd we had last night, at least for the first 5 minutes, I doubt we'll see more than 4,000 at games for the rest of the year, including the Zoo. This program is now a cluster$$#@.

I said before the season that, while I didn't think this team would be quite as successful as last year's either way, it was going to have to rely on a completely different brand of basketball that involved toughness, defense, rebounding, etc.

Well, we're about as soft as tissue paper and we're trying to do the exact things we did last season; we're just way worse at them. I knew spacing for Hinson was going to be a big problem with no Burton to beat someone off the dribble and no Elliot to pose a legit shooting threat from three. I was hoping we could compensate in other areas, such as Fede expanding his offensive game. We have not.

It seems like Fede has all but disappeared and no amount of bench riding manipulation seems to change that.
GDG - 35 percent from the field, 29 percent from 3. 7/5
Fede - 76 percent from the field. 4/4

If the twins were playing that much better than Fede, they’d be playing the entire game.

Run them all off and reset the 5 room

GDG - 35 percent from the field, 29 percent from 3. 7/5
Fede - 76 percent from the field. 4/4

If the twins were playing that much better than Fede, they’d be playing the entire game.

Run them all off and reset the 5 room

I know Fede is your boy but he looks terrible out there.

I’m not expecting crazy offense out of him, but the defensive ability he showed last year is just not there at all. Looks slow, no bounce, isn’t really blocking shots, and doesn’t look to be playing as hard.

Just getting absolutely TERRIBLE ROI on his NIL deal.

I’m not expecting crazy offense out of him, but the defensive ability he showed last year is just not there at all. Looks slow, no bounce, isn’t really blocking shots, and doesn’t look to be playing as hard.

He just posted run them ALL off and reset the 5 spot so I doubt Fede is his boy.

A few tidbits to add:
1. Duke is a terrible matchup because they run the same defense and offense with actual ACC + players and a coach who inherited the Duke culture and is continuing it defensively.
2. Is there any question now that Capel was told it wasn’t him and that’s why he toon Pitt? If you reversed the coaches, Duke may have still won. But it would’ve been a game.
3. Luckily it was a 9 PM ESPN game so we lost the 7 PM lead in early. Not many would’ve stayed up for the entire game
4. I never bought into the Bub hype of being a 1 and done. I mean it was very obvious the first time we played anyone with physicality and athleticism that he will probably not ever be a regular NBA player unless he learns to play off the ball and catch and shoot 3’s. I do buy into the hype he may be a 1 and done at Pitt for NIL though.
5. They won’t do it, but it’s time. We’ve seen enough. Cummings is coming to Pitt. Rip off the bandaid and get someone in here to re recruit him early and actually have a chance at Meleek. He’s on a visit to Auburn this weekend. They’ll pay more. Kentucky will pay more. Have to get someone in here to get a relationship with him. This is looking like a bottom tier Pitt team. He’s not risking his whole career on Jeff Capel.
6. Last year was I after E except after C. The exception not the rule. There’s no way anyone can think differently at this point. No adjustments, no coherent game plan or recruiting strategy. Just kind of grab who you can. Play how we play.
7. Year 6 and we have no cheesy gimmick. I’m a little disappointed. Uncommon courage was a good one. Let’s go back to Brick by Brick

- The Varsity vs JV comparison is perfect here because they run the same stuff as I said earlier. Because of this, its an impossible matchup and its why you see us at least be competitive against everyone else but look so bad against Duke. Its almost literally Varsity vs JV. That JV team can play good and beat other varsity teams but they can never beat their own varsity

- The defensive effort was really poor. For the love of God, close out on shooters. You can actually hear the crowd grown when Proctor was so wide open on the 4th 3 in a row. Ryan Young schooling Fede on that post move was cringy. He's totally lost

- On Fede and the roster make-up, I think he probably transfers down. Would be a nice A10 Center. I still like Guillermo but that doesn't mean you dont try to upgrade. Jorge isnt an ACC player but I am ok with keeping him as a package. He is trying to be a 3 but obviously doesnt have the guard skills. I would RS him next year. Jeffress probably graduates in the Spring. I cant see him coming back. Maybe he can start med school at Drexel or some place like that and take like 1 class at a time while playing hoops

- If Meleek goes to Auburn, I'm going to lose my mind. If we get outbid for him, Im going to lose my mind. If he takes less money to play at Kentucky, fine, whatever. But we cant have a pay for play collective and NOT pay the most for a generational local player.

- Bub played his way into the 2nd Round recently. You can't lose him to the portal. It wont take a fortune to keep him. 300K? We are paying effin Gavin Bartholmew that so we can go 6-6 next year.

- The Varsity vs JV comparison is perfect here because they run the same stuff as I said earlier. Because of this, its an impossible matchup and its why you see us at least be competitive against everyone else but look so bad against Duke. Its almost literally Varsity vs JV. That JV team can play good and beat other varsity teams but they can never beat their own varsity

- The defensive effort was really poor. For the love of God, close out on shooters. You can actually hear the crowd grown when Proctor was so wide open on the 4th 3 in a row. Ryan Young schooling Fede on that post move was cringy. He's totally lost

- On Fede and the roster make-up, I think he probably transfers down. Would be a nice A10 Center. I still like Guillermo but that doesn't mean you dont try to upgrade. Jorge isnt an ACC player but I am ok with keeping him as a package. He is trying to be a 3 but obviously doesnt have the guard skills. I would RS him next year. Jeffress probably graduates in the Spring. I cant see him coming back. Maybe he can start med school at Drexel or some place like that and take like 1 class at a time while playing hoops

- If Meleek goes to Auburn, I'm going to lose my mind. If we get outbid for him, Im going to lose my mind. If he takes less money to play at Kentucky, fine, whatever. But we cant have a pay for play collective and NOT pay the most for a generational local player.

- Bub played his way into the 2nd Round recently. You can't lose him to the portal. It wont take a fortune to keep him. 300K? We are paying effin Gavin Bartholmew that so we can go 6-6 next year.
You still need to take back that Pitt is definitely gonna be playing in the NIT. I told you no way. The team sucks. They aren't making any postseason tournaments.

That is an awfully weird response to what he actually said.

Reactions: Pitt Docket 23_

I literally just said he is overmatched and he shouldn’t be here anymore though lol

That is an awfully weird response to what he actually said.

Well - he coached Fede at one point so he has an actual relationship with him.

And also Fede was the one with higher expectations coming into the year than G… hence why we had to step up NIL wise to keep him.

So I don’t really think it’s fair to compare the 2 when Fede was paid and expected to be an elite defensive force…. And he’s playing worse than his backup.

I don’t see anyway Bickell ups his ante for Capel. He’s a football guy and doesn’t see the value in hoops from what I know

I cringe at the thought that we paid whatever amount of money to keep Fede and how he has played this year. lol.

Gonna have a hard time getting to a winning record.

I could see us going 6-9 the rest of the way, but even that won't be easy. Which means 16-15 for the season with a coin flip against some fellow ACC scrub to determine if we finish at .500 or a game over it.

Whoooo... year 6, baby.

Last year was an old, experienced team in an era where that is a major advantage. Building teams around multiple freshmen just isn’t a viable plan for 99.9% of teams. If we’re able to hang onto them, I’m thrilled at the potential for our backcourt to develop but in the moment it’s such a disadvantage to be relying so heavily on freshmen in that spot.

I was curious as to the roster construction this year but given last years success, I was willing to wait and see. This team is sorely lacking athleticism across the board. Step one for next year will be re-recruiting some of the guys we already have, but step two should be getting in some length and athleticism that we can lean on defensively as a crutch for periods where the offense dries up

I think Capel was a little caught off-guard by last year's success of the older guards so he had Barnes, Lowe, and Bub already signed. You cant have freshmen starters anymore unless they are elite. 23 year old mid-major transfers are better. Even next year, he has that 1 kid signed besides Cummings and he is never going to play. Its a waste of a scholarship next year. We need 4-5 transfers. I'm not sure I'd recruit a freshman outside of the Top 50.

I could see us going 6-9 the rest of the way, but even that won't be easy. Which means 16-15 for the season with a coin flip against some fellow ACC scrub to determine if we finish at .500 or a game over it.

Whoooo... year 6, baby.
Pitt won't win 5 total ACC games the rest of the season. They are a bottom 4 conference bottom feeder. Year 6 of the Jeff Capel era I might add.

Whoooo... year 6, baby.

Syracuse
@Duke
@GT
@Miami
Wake
ND
@NC State
@UVA
Lou
@Wake
VT
@Clemson
@BC
FSU
NC State

Man, are we even gonna beat Wake? They're 11-4 right now. I'd say Pitt should be able to beat ND and Louisville. And then there are toss-ups between @GT, both WF games, VT, and @BC. Could be a long year.

- What pisses me off is we always seem to get Duke's best effort. Flip had 10 points the last 2 games. They lost to GT a few weeks ago. They'll mess around and lose to like BC or something. But against us, they look like Laettner/Hurley/Hill.

- I posted in another thread it looked like Varsity vs JV but that was mainly because they were running the same offense. Duke was just doing it with better players

- This is a new NIT. No auto bids. 17-14 could get us in like the old days. Still super disappointed at this season though.

- Capel gets 25-26 but needs to make the NCAAT or have Meleek Thomas signed.

- This team just cannot manufacture any easy baskets. Its almost like watching Dixon 2 ball again where its become painful to watch our offensive possessions.

- Hopefully Lowe and Bub stay but beyond that, we need a talent infusion.

- I left at halftime along with hundreds of the overflow students. Earliest I've ever left any Pitt game. The 9PM start had something to do with it.

- had to be the largest student crowd in Pete history. They couldn't sell any tickets so they must have done something similar to like the Pens Student Rush. Swaths of students in the upper deck corners and lower endzones. Probably 2500 total.
Maybe getting their best effort is a result of our doing, not theirs.

Pitt won't win 5 total ACC games the rest of the season. They are a bottom 4 conference bottom feeder. Year 6 of the Jeff Capel era I might add.

You're probably right. So conference records and finishes...

3-15 (15/15)
6-14 (13/15)
6-10 (12/15)
6-14 (13/15)
14-6 (5/15)
1-4 (14/15)... so far

Just look at that on paper for a second and tell me how many coaches would be back for a 7th season of this stuff.

Reactions: PittPoker
Syracuse
@Duke
@GT
@Miami
Wake
ND
@NC State
@UVA
Lou
@Wake
VT
@Clemson
@BC
FSU
NC State

Man, are we even gonna beat Wake? They're 11-4 right now. I'd say Pitt should be able to beat ND and Louisville. And then there are toss-ups between @GT, both WF games, VT, and @BC. Could be a long year.

Now, I don’t have ANY confidence in us consistently winning games, BUT….

I do think people are going a bit too far in one direction right now. I don’t think we’re going like 4-16 or anything. We’ve just played 5 conference games, and 3 of them have been against the 3 best teams in the league.

And honestly, we played okay against UNC and Clemson.

Should have beaten Syracuse if we weren’t mentally weak.

Talent wise there aren’t many games left on the schedule (besides at Duke) we have no chance in… just a matter of actually winning consistently that’s hard to see.

But my point is that 10-10 or something like that really doesn’t do much for you.

Any season not ending in an NCAAT appearance in modern college bball with so much roster movement is a failure.

Reactions: FireballZ
Syracuse
@Duke
@GT
@Miami
Wake
ND
@NC State
@UVA
Lou
@Wake
VT
@Clemson
@BC
FSU
NC State

Pitt's not beating Wake. I see 4 more wins in that schedule, that's it. There are possibly 5 losses in a row coming up starting next week. That will be 6 in a row including the Duke game. We should beat ND and 'Ville, but those are toss-ups. Maybe beat BC and VT. 14-17 seems a realistic record for this team this year. We are back to less than mediocre in year 6 of the Capel era. But let's not talk about what the real problem is.

Pitt's not beating Wake. I see 4 more wins in that schedule, that's it. There are possibly 5 losses in a row coming up starting next week. That will be 6 in a row including the Duke game. We should beat ND and 'Ville, but those are toss-ups. Maybe beat BC and VT. 14-17 seems a realistic record for this team this year. We are back to less than mediocre in year 6 of the Capel era. But let's not talk about what the real problem is.

This is what I mean.

This is so dramatic.

Basically every game besides Duke/UNC/Clemson will be a toss up.

We’re a 50-60 rated KenPom team… just like the rest of the league.

Reactions: FireballZ
Now, I don’t have ANY confidence in us consistently winning games, BUT….

I do think people are going a bit too far in one direction right now. I don’t think we’re going like 4-16 or anything. We’ve just played 5 conference games, and 3 of them have been against the 3 best teams in the league.

And honestly, we played okay against UNC and Clemson.

Should have beaten Syracuse if we weren’t mentally weak.

Talent wise there aren’t many games left on the schedule (besides at Duke) we have no chance in… just a matter of actually winning consistently that’s hard to see.

But my point is that 10-10 or something like that really doesn’t do much for you.

Any season not ending in an NCAAT appearance in modern college bball with so much roster movement is a failure.
Pitt isn't winning more than 5 ACC games total. Not sure what you see from this team. Not only is the roster poorly constructed but the coaching staff is so bad they won't make anyone better. And with Blake pretty much a shell of himself with no end in sight on that, good luck thinking this latest Pitt BBall disaster will win more than 4 or 5 total.

Syracuse
@Duke
@GT
@Miami
Wake
ND
@NC State
@UVA
Lou
@Wake
VT
@Clemson
@BC
FSU
NC State

Wake is good. They’re probably an NCAA tournament team.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
I refuse to believe there are fans on this board that ever believed Capel would be a good coach. Nobody could be that foolish, could they?

Let the dead weight jobber coach out the string and buy him out when the money is there/makes financial sense.

I will admit to being stupid enough to be okay with moving on from Dixon. I guess that's my fandom Waterloo.

This is what I mean.

This is so dramatic.

I see us at 66, but I don't see a single team ahead of us that we've beaten. Unless I'm missing something, the best win I see on there is against an undermanned WVU squad that is at 142. And we've lost to:

Syracuse 79
Missouri 104

Shouldn't we at least beat somebody before we start declaring that we're part of some giant cluster of ACC teams?

I don't take this stuff as gospel, but it's also possible at this point that we actually do suck out loud. Like, this team has done nothing. People were hailing that Florida Gulf Coast win as being solid... that didn't age well.

This is what I mean.

This is so dramatic.

No, it's realistic. I don't care about your KenPom or whatever it is. We're not anywhere near even the middle of the pack in the ACC. Were you at the game last night? Did you see the complete absence of defense, rebounding, ball movement, communication and coaching by Pitt? Duke let up on us to show mercy midway through the second half. We could have lost by 50 if Duke wanted to do that. That's how bad we are right now.

I refuse to believe there are fans on this board that ever believed Capel would be a good coach. Nobody could be that foolish, could they?

Let the dead weight jobber coach out the string and buy him out when the money is there/makes financial sense.

I will admit to being stupid enough to be okay with moving on from Dixon. I guess that's my fandom Waterloo.
The majority of people were initially excited because he brought in some pretty good recruits right off the bat and the bar was so low because of Stallings.

Reactions: Dan1911
The majority of people were initially excited because he brought in some pretty good recruits right off the bat and the bar was so low because of Stallings.

It appears the bar is still low with Capel.

Last year was a mirage because of Burton and Cummings being here and they were the coaches on the court. We are now coachless and have no direction on the court. That's where we are.

It is fairly obvious, unless it was the 80's and the Golden Panthers and Cal were far ahead of their times, Pitt doesn't need a talent recruiter as coach. It needs an X's and O's system coach. We just are not going to be able to not just beat the Duke's and Carolina's, but the $EC has completely upped their game and now takes BB seriously too, the Big 12 is the old ACC or Big East and to complicate matters on the NIL front level, you have BB forward/only schools like Nova, UConn, Xavier, Marquette who's NIL collectives are unencumbered by football, so they can pay $$$ for top players if they choose.

So Pitt is going to have to get a coach who has some system, and get guys who fit and commit to that. Seriously, recruit to shoot and playing decent defense is not a bad way to go.

Right, and there was also talk of potentially landing some pretty nice 5-starish level players (Hunter Dickinson, Kofi Cockburn, Earl Timberlake, etc... not saying they all panned out), in addition to the fact that many people thought six years with Coach K after Oklahoma probably changed him for the better a bit.

None of it has come to fruition. We lucked out on some dude who hadn't played basketball in a few years and barely snuck into the tournament. That's it; that's the list of accomplishments in six seasons.

It is fairly obvious, unless it was the 80's and the Golden Panthers and Cal were far ahead of their times, Pitt doesn't need a talent recruiter as coach. It needs an X's and O's system coach. We just are not going to be able to not just beat the Duke's and Carolina's, but the $EC has completely upped their game and now takes BB seriously too, the Big 12 is the old ACC or Big East and to complicate matters on the NIL front level, you have BB forward/only schools like Nova, UConn, Xavier, Marquette who's NIL collectives are unencumbered by football, so they can pay $$$ for top players if they choose.

So Pitt is going to have to get a coach who has some system, and get guys who fit and commit to that. Seriously, recruit to shoot and playing decent defense is not a bad way to go.
💯- Completely Agree

Agree to a large extent, although talent rising to the top (i.e. the other teams often had more than us) is usually what got us ousted from the tournament in the glory years... so I don't want to never be able to get any high-end talent, but maybe the goal can be to build a good foundation and then go out and buy a player or two when the time is right.

But Capel is like the worst of both worlds. Getting top 75-150 players to Pitt is not all that impressive to me. Dixon did it for years, and even Kevin freaking Stallings brought in Marcus Carr, etc. (you might say he was able to recruit some guys at that level in his sleep). There are coaches who should be able to do that and actually coach.

If Capel were bringing in regular top 25-50 talent (and I'm not talking about Vader's rankings, unfortunately), it would be a different story. But he's recruiting at a B- level and coaching at a D level.

I don’t think anyone was excited about his pure X & O coaching ability.

We were excited about his recruiting and ability to bring in NBA level players that could carry the team to the tournament

I don’t think anyone was excited about his pure X & O coaching ability.

We were excited about his recruiting and ability to bring in NBA level players that could carry the team to the tournament
He has no X & O coaching ability.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT