ADVERTISEMENT

Ellison Update

I'll take it.
I'll take it too, but we still have to be realistic and understand that Ellison should be a bench player on an ACC team.

True. But same with Jeter and Jones. Those guys are decent backups. Its Dixon's fault they had to start. Hopefully Stallings can recruit well enough that Ellison can come off the bench

True. But same with Jeter and Jones. Those guys are decent backups. Its Dixon's fault they had to start. Hopefully Stallings can recruit well enough that Ellison can come off the bench

Jeter was a pretty good player -- a pretty legit starter.

I hope Ellison is as good as Jones.

I'm not trolling, and obviously we will get players, but are they ACC level players? Doesn't look that way but I sure hope so as I will never give up on Pitt Hoops, I have the right to be very upset and disappointed with this situation right now, everything isn't all peachy, we need to recruit and land high level players, because that is what was promised to us upon the Stallings hire
Well what players other than possibly Johnson were ACC players assuming they all stayed? I was/am also very frustrated with the situation Dixon left Pitt with. We do need to recruit and land high level players and hopefully Stallings is a hell of a lot better at it than Dixon was the last 3-4 years.

I'll take it too, but we still have to be realistic and understand that Ellison should be a bench player on an ACC team.

Still doesn't mean he won't be.

He has to sit out 1 year to play 2 years correct?

Perfect year to have someone RS too since we're already so low on scholly players.

Hope he commits!

Still doesn't mean he won't be.

He has to sit out 1 year to play 2 years correct?

Perfect year to have someone RS too since we're already so low on scholly players.

Hope he commits!
I am also very hopeful that he commits, only because I carry the perspective of us needing players so badly, just decent ones. But I also realize that this is the same level of recruit that put us in the situation we are in now. Maybe not even quite at that level, even.

You don't run (a) player(s) off unless you can replace them with better ones. Or, at least, that is what is supposed to happen. So far, I am not seeing it here.

Elison would at least one more body at practice this coming year even if he has to sit the year as a game player. At least that is helpful in a small way given the roster numbers,

Just like Chris Jones. Also, he has pretty nice upside even if his potential has yet to be realized. He had pretty good offers out of high school. I know he's not Michael Jordan but he has talent. It seems like you've gone out of your way on both boards to repeatrely tell everyone you don't like Ellison. I think he's fine, especially if he develops or is just a 6th man. Also, it doesn't matter because the program is screwed anyway.

Reactions: FireballZ
Just like Chris Jones. Also, he has pretty nice upside even if his potential has yet to be realized. He had pretty good offers out of high school. I know he's not Michael Jordan but he has talent. It seems like you've gone out of your way on both boards to repeatrely tell everyone you don't like Ellison. I think he's fine, especially if he develops or is just a 6th man. Also, it doesn't matter because the program is screwed anyway.

I don't believe I've ever said I don't like Ellison. I have repeated said he's a depth level player, however. I believe this is a fair statement. I am also hopeful that we can get his commitment.

The current roster situation is really on all KS now . People need to stop blaming Jamie . Last yr ok , but the current roster mess is all of KS makings . The team would still be bad if Cam stayed along with Manigualt Wilson and Clark , but at least they'd have a roster . It's obviously apparent that he'll never fill the roster this yr and if he does it will not be with ACC quality players . Any way you shake it Pitts gonna suck next yr , let's just hope that the experience these freshmen get will be benificial to them .

Reactions: KiwiJeff
I don't believe I've ever said I don't like Ellison. I have repeated said he's a depth level player, however. I believe this is a fair statement. I am also hopeful that we can get his commitment.
If he plays 20-25 minutes, and is the 6th man then there is nothing wrong with that.

Calling him a depth level player would imply that. Regardless, we both agree we need players, so hopefully we get him.

If he plays 20-25 minutes, and is the 6th man then there is nothing wrong with that.

Depends on how you define "wrong." If Ellison is playing that significant of a role it likely means we wouldn't be competing to finish in the top half of the ACC.

Calling him a depth level player would imply that. Regardless, we both agree we need players, so hopefully we get him.

At this point, we need both starter level and bench level players to get our program back to the place where we are regular participants in the NCAA tournament, so yes, hopefully we can get him.

But we going to need some higher level players as well.

Depends on how you define "wrong." If Ellison is playing that significant of a role it likely means we wouldn't be competing to finish in the top half of the ACC.
When has Pitt ever competed in the top third of the ACC in basketball? I am thinking middle of the pack with a decent chance at the tournament.

Note - I changed half to third.

Last edited:
When has Pitt ever competed in the top half of the ACC in basketball? I am thinking middle of the pack with a decent chance at the tournament.

We were 6th in our first year. That's the top half. By top half, I mean finishing 8th or better.

The next two years, we were middle of the pack with a decent chance at the tournament. It was pretty much a consensus that we needed our standards to be higher.

Next year, we will be bottom 2 or 3 at best. But to get to the point where we are top 8 or better in future years, we need much more talent.

We were 6th in our first year. That's the top half. By top half, I mean finishing 8th or better.

The next two years, we were middle of the pack with a decent chance at the tournament. It was pretty much a consensus that we needed our standards to be higher.

Next year, we will be bottom 2 or 3 at best. But to get to the point where we are top 8 or better in future years, we need much more talent.
Not to be argumentative, but there are 15 teams. The top 5 is the top half - Duke, UNC, Ville, etc. The middle is 6-10. The bottom is 11-15. The ACC is the best conference in basketball and is better than the Old BE. Anybody expecting Pitt to be in the Top Half on a consistent basis is setting themselves up to be disappointed.

Not to be argumentative, but there are 15 teams. The top 5 is the top half - Duke, UNC, Ville, etc. The middle is 6-10. The bottom is 11-15. The ACC is the best conference in basketball and is better than the Old BE. Anybody expecting Pitt to be in the Top Half on a consistent basis is setting themselves up to be disappointed.
Umm ... you do realize that there are only two parts to a half, right?

Top 5 teams would be the top third not the top half.

Umm ... you do realize that there are only two parts to a half, right?
Sorry - did not mean to make you angry. I just think the days of being one of the top 3-4 teams in a conference is gone. If we could get similar results as Miami under Larranaga, then that would be good. Will that happen under Stallings? Probably not, but as fan I am hoping it happens.

Sorry - did not mean to make you angry. I just think the days of being one of the top 3-4 teams in a conference is gone. If we could get similar results as Miami under Larranaga, then that would be good. Will that happen under Stallings? Probably not, but as fan I am hoping it happens.
I wasn't angry. Just confused. I said top half and you described thirds.

And I would also be satisfied with similar results as Larranga, which are pretty much as the same results we had in our first three years -- results that many found unacceptable.

I wasn't angry. Just confused. I said top half and you described thirds.

And I would also be satisfied with similar results as Larranga, which are pretty much as the same results we had in our first three years -- results that many found unacceptable.
Not sure about that. Larranaga has a +60% ACC record and has made two Sweet 16's in the past 5 years. I hope to god Pitt fans would have accepted those results in the ACC. Unfortunately, we were well short of that in the our prior three seasons in the ACC.

Not sure about that. Larranaga has a +60% ACC record and has made two Sweet 16's in the past 5 years. I hope to god Pitt fans would have accepted those results in the ACC. Unfortunately, we were well short of that in the our prior three seasons in the ACC.
Yeah, that's a shame, because no team EVER has variability, except Pitt. Yep, it only happens here. But wait, our down period we were still making the tourney more than not. Let's boot Dixon and get Stallings instead! That should be the ticket to ACC success! Errrr, make that MAC success.....errrr, make that NEC success. Great job.

Last edited:
Reactions: levance2
Being low on players let alone players who can actually contribute this year make it the exact wrong time to redshirt or have someone sitting out unable to play.
Pitts needs to think of the future and if they can sign any ACC level player they should . If he needs to sit out a yr so be it .Why worry about next yr is 6 vs 7 wins any better ?

I still think Stallings is try to build the roster to make the big jump in year 3. The problem is it is so decimated right now for all the reasons previously hashed over on this board, Stallings is in the precarious position of potentially not seeing year 3 because year 2 might be even more of an unmitigated disaster.

I would be very hesitant in his position to bring in a transfer that could not contribute positively next year - if there is enough outcry and financial pushback from alumni and fans, Pitt could be hiring another search firm to do a search next March.

Ellison is not a terrible transfer to bring in, and he may be able to contribute after sitting a year. I just don't know that KS will get the opportunity to see him contribute in an ACC game.

I still think Stallings is try to build the roster to make the big jump in year 3. The problem is it is so decimated right now for all the reasons previously hashed over on this board, Stallings is in the precarious position of potentially not seeing year 3 because year 2 might be even more of an unmitigated disaster.

I would be very hesitant in his position to bring in a transfer that could not contribute positively next year - if there is enough outcry and financial pushback from alumni and fans, Pitt could be hiring another search firm to do a search next March.

Ellison is not a terrible transfer to bring in, and he may be able to contribute after sitting a year. I just don't know that KS will get the opportunity to see him contribute in an ACC game.
I think it's pretty clear at this point that Stallings is trying to "build the roster" just to field a team this upcoming season.

Yeah, that's a shame, because no team EVER has variability, except Pitt. Yep, it only happens here. But wait, our down period we were still making the tourney more than not. Let's boot Dixon and get Stallings instead! That should be the ticket to ACC success! Errrr, make that MAC success.....errrr, make that NEC success. Great job.

Had Dixon stayed, 2016-17 was still going to be worse than 15-16, & next year would have still been a disaster. An EIGHT year slide would have forced Pitt to outright fire his ass, and nobody wanted that to happen. He's getting a chance to revive his career, and Pitt is getting a chance to rebuild. Im interested to see what Stallings can do in years 3 & 4. I don't give a rat's ass what happens this year.

Had Dixon stayed, 2016-17 was still going to be worse than 15-16, & next year would have still been a disaster. An EIGHT year slide would have forced Pitt to outright fire his ass, and nobody wanted that to happen. He's getting a chance to revive his career, and Pitt is getting a chance to rebuild. Im interested to see what Stallings can do in years 3 & 4. I don't give a rat's ass what happens this year.
You don't know any of that. You have no idea what our roster would be. One thing I'm pretty sure about, is we'd at least have a roster. Rebuild from what, Stallings disaster? Teams don't rebuild off of an NCAA Tourney season. You may not care what happens this year, but most fans with sense will, as well as potential recruits.

Reactions: levance2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT