ADVERTISEMENT

FSU Fires warning shot to ACC

Curious about what specific form(s) of revenue this statement is referring to.
If I recall correctly, the idea was to have schools keep their own revenues for football while sharing revenues for basketball (and other sports). This would have disproportionally benefitted Penn State at the time, which is likely why schools objected to it.

Of course, none of that would’ve mattered had the Big East accepted Penn State.

If the folks at Pitt want those teams to keep up with the Joneses, then they are going to need conference revenue from football to be competitive. That isn't going to happen in the ACC. Teams there will soon be waaaay behind the Big Ten and SEC revenue, which is going to hurt Olympic sports greatly. This is why FSU is chirping. He sees the writing on the wall. Pitt doesn't. They probably are oblivious to it all.

But if Pitt wants to save their recently improving Olympic sports, they need to be dynamic and make some aggressive moves. Else they will simply die a slow death.

It should be a no brainier for schools like Oregon, Stanford, Washington, FSU, Miami, etc. Start an 8 team football conference consisting ONLY of teams that people want to watch on TV. That way the average TV revenue per school will be competitive.

The Coastal Alliance.
-Oregon
-Washington
-Stanford
-Miami
-FSU
-Pitt
-Notre Dame?
-Virginia Tech?
Notre Dame is not joining a conference and Oregon, FSU, and Washington are the only teams on that list that have any national appeal.

Plus the Big Ten would open the door tomorrow if FSU was available.

Right. Because even if Penn State was in the Big East the second that the Big Ten called they would have left anyway.
If everything happened the same way it actually did, you’re absolutely right. However, you never know whether that would’ve triggered other independents joining sooner (e.g. Florida State, Miami, South Carolina) or if they could’ve poached any ACC schools.

Reactions: cease10
The current model for nonrevenue sports is broken across the country and IMO a nonrevenue sport should not have to get on a plane to go to a regular season game when there are plenty of other schools in a driveable area.
Oh, I agree. But we’ll see what the Pitt administration (and others like ours) has to say about that. I don’t see them satisfied to have the Olympic and (especially) women’s sports going back to playing podunk local small schools.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Notre Dame is not joining a conference and Oregon, FSU, and Washington are the only teams on that list that have any national appeal.

Purdue and Indiana both make more in network revenue than Notre Dame.

Millions more per year.

Notre Dame is facing the same fate as FSU. They can be making more than they currently are making by getting in the P2.

Notre Dame's days as an independent are numbered.

If i am the ACC, i tell ND we will give you a Big 10 slice of the ACC pie. All remaining ACC members will have to kick in,

And to offset this, we tell The networks how much we want in a new Notre Dame inclusive TV deal.

Not the other way around.

This is the only way the ACC stays relevant and stays together.

This article is nothing but red meat for the starving trolls and doomsayers to chew on…

Right now FSU can’t go anywhere and the AD is throwing a hissy fit.
  1. He went to the BOTs and wanted them to pay up so they can move to another conference. They told him to drop dead…
  2. He then goes to the media whining that something has got to change.
  3. Nobody can move out of the ACC for awhile.
As far as what needs to change is concerned, is FSU’s performance on the field of athletics. Their brand is as low has it’s been since the 1970’s…They’re not any more special than 4 or 5 other teams in the ACC right now.

He needs to do his job and hire the right coaches, raise money and build the brand. He could take a few pointers from Heather…

On the other hand… The ACC commissioner needs to do more to raise the revenue for the league. He needs to do his job as well…

10 years is a long time and a lot of things will happen before the GOR’s expire…

Reactions: 303vND and DruidTM
Is this assuming Clemson and UNC would be plucked up by someone else? I’d have them replace Virginia Tech (not in a good state right now) and Notre Dame (don’t think they’d agree to this). I’m with you on the football/Olympic sports split, though.

Whatever teams would add value to a tv contract. In sure NC would be ok. Schools like NC State, Wake, BC, etc probably lower the value for each team.

ND probably wouldn't join. I think Clemson will would end up in the SEC. Seems like a no brainer for each.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

All the schools I listed have national appeal.

And if the BIg 10 didn't invite Oregon I don't see them inviting FSU

This article is nothing but red meat for the starving trolls and doomsayers to chew on…

Right now FSU can’t go anywhere and the AD is throwing a hissy fit.
  1. He went to the BOTs and wanted them to pay up so they can move to another conference. They told him to drop dead…
  2. He then goes to the media whining that something has got to change.
  3. Nobody can move out of the ACC for awhile.
As far as what needs to change is concerned, is FSU’s performance on the field of athletics. Their brand is as low has it’s been since the 1970’s…They’re not any more special than 4 or 5 other teams in the ACC right now.

He needs to do his job and hire the right coaches, raise money and build the brand. He could take a few pointers from Heather…

On the other hand… The ACC commissioner needs to do more to raise the revenue for the league. He needs to do his job as well…

10 years is a long time and a lot of things will happen before the GOR’s expire…

Hiring the right coaches is irrelevant when it comes to conference revenue, and he knows that teams in the ACC will be left in the wake if the SEC and Big 10 financial deals.

If I recall correctly, the idea was to have schools keep their own revenues for football while sharing revenues for basketball (and other sports).
This is a general statement that when viewed through the lens of the way TV contracts are currently (and for the past x years/decades) structured, can be very misleading. In reality, few outside of those that were involved in the negotiations really know what terms (and teams) were actually discussed, and good luck finding an article from the time reporting on them.

At the time of those discussions, the NCAA controlled the TV rights for cfb, not individual teams and/or conferences, so it was impossible for one specific team to propose to take a larger share of something that didn't exist. Basketball contracts were setup more similar to today (with obviously fewer games/networks involved). Hence, why I was inquiring as to what the other poster was specifically was referring to.

Wasn't my intention of trying to divert the subject from FSU and the current/future ACC, just wanted an explanation of a general statement someone else put out there that makes a misleading soundbite.

This is a general statement that when viewed through the lens of the way TV contracts are currently (and for the past x years/decades) structured, can be very misleading. In reality, few outside of those that were involved in the negotiations really know what terms (and teams) were actually discussed, and good luck finding an article from the time reporting on them.

At the time of those discussions, the NCAA controlled the TV rights for cfb, not individual teams and/or conferences, so it was impossible for one specific team to propose to take a larger share of something that didn't exist. Basketball contracts were setup more similar to today (with obviously fewer games/networks involved). Hence, why I was inquiring as to what the other poster was specifically was referring to.

Wasn't my intention of trying to divert the subject from FSU and the current/future ACC, just wanted an explanation of a general statement someone else put out there that makes a misleading soundbite.
No, I’m glad your cleared up that confusion. You’re correct that the NCAA controlled the TV rights until the mid 80s. I’ll look to see what I can find regarding this; I could’ve swore it was along those lines, but apparently I’ve missed something.

Last edited:
Lmao Florida State has 1 double-digit win season in the last 6 years. They should worry about winning games in the ACC before dreaming about an SEC title. They'd be a bottom half SEC team and more money wouldn't change that.
Totally. They think their crap performances and seasons the last 15 years are the accs fault? Ummmm no. Bad coaches and a crappy program.

Hiring the right coaches is irrelevant when it comes to conference revenue, and he knows that teams in the ACC will be left in the wake if the SEC and Big 10 financial deals.
Yes, you are correct my friend when you say the right coaches is irrelevant when it comes to conference revenue, but that’s out of his control. He’s not some grand wizard of knowledge. Everybody knows the ACC situation.

Does he not think the rest of the ACC schools are not concerned as well???

He has a job to do and he’s not doing it as far as I can see. His whole tirade reeks of threatening arrogance. He needs to come to earth. The brand has lost a lot of luster over the last few year and most of it has to do with athletic performance.

As I said, the commissioner has a job to do too and he needs to do his as well. So far, he appears weak. Time will tell..,

Last edited:
On field success means little in these discussions.
This.

Fsu, Miami, unc, and Clemson will have a landing spot in the sec or big when the time comes. Even though 3 of those teams have been mediocre for a while.

Unless something crazy happens in the next few years, and the sec and big don't want to expand anymore, they are gone. It's just when.

Just hoping pitt can land in the best of the rest conference, which wouldn't be so bad imo.

Reactions: rmf05
Yes, you are correct my friend when you say the right coaches is irrelevant when it comes to conference revenue, But that’s out of his control. He’s not some grand wizard of knowledge. Everybody knows the ACC situation.

Does he not think the rest of the ACC schools are not concerned as well???

He has a job to do and he’s not doing it as far as I can see. His whole tirade reeks of threatening arrogance. He needs to come to earth. The brand has lost a lot of luster over the last few year and most of it has to do with athletic performance.

As I said, the commissioner has a job to do too and he needs to do his as well. So far, he appears weak. Time will tell..,
God can be the acc commish and he would struggle to close that revenue gap. Espn is not going to dump more money. Any realistic increases will be incremental.

It's plenty attractive enough. There are one of like 5 programs that have a championships over the last decade.
Well...I respectfully disagree...the college football landscape has changed a great deal since 2014. People forget about things they did yesterday, you think the powers to be cares about something that happened nine years ago?

No one is splitting the pot for this version of Florida State - and if you think they are, you're dreaming in color.

People are crazy to think the Big 2 wouldn’t want FSU, even this bad version of FSU. They don’t care that FSU isn’t currently winning. Give FSU 50 million a year and that problem would be taken care of quickly.

And FSU winning isn’t going to solve the revenue problem. FSU was still at its height when Jimbo left. He left because FSU was broke.

Willie Taggart got there and the reports are he had no idea that FSU was in the financial state it was in, and couldn’t believe it wasn’t going to be getting out anytime soon.

And Norvell’s hirings have followed the same path. He keeps getting beat in state for recruiting, but doesn’t fire anyone, and doesn’t in an elite recruiting gun for hire. Why? Because there’s no money for that.

People are crazy to think the Big 2 wouldn’t want FSU, even this bad version of FSU. They don’t care that FSU isn’t currently winning. Give FSU 50 million a year and that problem would be taken care of quickly.

And FSU winning isn’t going to solve the revenue problem. FSU was still at its height when Jimbo left. He left because FSU was broke.

Willie Taggart got there and the reports are he had no idea that FSU was in the financial state it was in, and couldn’t believe it wasn’t going to be getting out anytime soon.

And Norvell’s hirings have followed the same path. He keeps getting beat in state for recruiting, but doesn’t fire anyone, and doesn’t in an elite recruiting gun for hire. Why? Because there’s no money for that.

FSU, Clemson, and UNC (and several others) are gone in 2036. FSU is a brand.

FSU, Clemson, and UNC (and several others) are gone in 2036. FSU is a brand.

It won’t be 2036.

Assuming the GOR enforcement holds up, sometime before 2036 the math will work to just bail.

As each year goes by, the cost in the cost-benefit calculation the schools are making, becomes less, and the benefit becomes greater.

Reactions: ThePanthers
It won’t be 2036.

Assuming the GOR enforcement holds up, sometime before 2036 the math will work to just bail.

As each year goes by, the cost in the cost-benefit calculation the schools are making, becomes less, and the benefit becomes greater.
I think Texas and Oklahoma just showed us it's only going to be a year or two early.

FSU will get nothing from the other ACC teams, because they're likely gone either way sometime in the early 2030s. They can cry all they want, they aren't leaving until then.

The wild card will be what does college football even look like by that time.

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
It won’t be 2036.

ACC teams received $36 million in conference revenue last year. The Big Ten is projecting $80-100 million per team from their new deal. It will be a no brainer for any team that the Big Ten invites.

ACC teams received $36 million in conference revenue last year. The Big Ten is projecting $80-100 million per team from their new deal. It will be a no brainer for any team that the Big Ten invites.

The issue is you surrender all of that if you leave before the GOR.

That’s what is stopping teams from leaving. It doesn’t matter how big the check is from the Big 10, if you have to immediately turn that check over to the ACC until 2036.

At some point though you’re going to get some teams that have reached a breaking point, and they are going to roll the dice and argue the damages are pure punishment and not reasonably calculated and blah blah blah.

It’s just a question of when? I could see that not being anytime soon.

Reactions: ThePanthers
With a new deal in place, would they have to renegotiate a contract if there are any additional invites? If not, wouldn't additional teams just reduce the amount each school gets?

That's why I think the Big Ten would take Miami first. Same state, bigger city.

Miami fits better with the Big 10 because of academics and not being a “southern” city and because the SEC probably wants FSU. SEC probably takes FSU, Clemson, and some NC/VA combo.

If you’re the Big 10, you really need to get into the south. Even if you expand west a little more, the south is vital. That’s where the population boom is taking place. It’s also where the talent is.

So the best footprint into the south, after what the SEC wants, is probably Miami. That gets you into not only FL, but the most talent rich area of FL.

With a new deal in place, would they have to renegotiate a contract if there are any additional invites? If not, wouldn't additional teams just reduce the amount each school gets?

They would renegotiate. That’s why the Big 10 is being so selective. That’s why everybody is being selective.

There aren’t a lot of teams that add to the size of the pie.

You know that while the NCAA did control television rights, they paid the schools for appearances on television, right?

It has been reported by numerous people who were actually involved at the time that the deal that Paterno proposed was exactly that. Schools would keep basically all of their football revenue and split all the basketball revenue. Which shouldn't surprise anyone with even a semi-functioning brain, because as we have seen over the years Paterno was always all about what was best for Paterno, and he didn't give a rat's arse about anyone else.

Reactions: FireballZ
I think Texas and Oklahoma just showed us it's only going to be a year or two early.

FSU will get nothing from the other ACC teams, because they're likely gone either way sometime in the early 2030s. They can cry all they want, they aren't leaving until then.

The wild card will be what does college football even look like by that time.

Only thing I would say about Texas and OU is they didn’t need to do anything. They did it because long term it was the best play. But short term they were fine. So there was no urgency to really force the issue within the short term.

I’m not sure the the case for ACC teams.

They would renegotiate. That’s why the Big 10 is being so selective. That’s why everybody is being selective.

There aren’t a lot of teams that add to the size of the pie.
When you're talking in the $80-100 million range, what programs are left that would add that type of value? Notre Dame? Maybe another pair of schools? Maybe I'm wrong, but even schools like Miami, Florida State, and Clemson don't seem to have that type of name brand to bring in that type of TV deal.

Enough with the death
march predictions. It’s impossible to predict what will happen. If anything, making college football too exclusive will reduce its brand and value.

Enough with the death
march predictions. It’s impossible to predict what will happen. If anything, making college football too exclusive will reduce its brand and value.

Listen................Do you hear that?........Dead silence from the doomsayers and the trolls...... Any positive news drives them away....... LOL!

It's such a joke especially coming from cashisking884... If there is any chance of bad news, he's there pulling the sheet over Pitt and declaring them dead.... If something good happens, like a big win or positive news, he's either nowhere to be found or he tries to down play it under the guise of being a realistic Pitt fan..... LOL!

Don't worry, when the smoke clears and Pitt is still in a relevant conference, I'll be here to gloat and tell them once again how they continue to underestimate how Pitt is viewed by the decision makers....

Last edited:
When you're talking in the $80-100 million range, what programs are left that would add that type of value? Notre Dame? Maybe another pair of schools? Maybe I'm wrong, but even schools like Miami, Florida State, and Clemson don't seem to have that type of name brand to bring in that type of TV deal.

I'm basing Miami's value in UCLA getting added. Granted LA is a larger market but USC was the bigger prize.

Enough with the death

It's not that hard to predict what will happen. We all know the SEC and Big Ten would we expand. And we all know they will again. The only question is what teams?

Then super long term the next question is how long until the SEC and Big Ten schools seek ways to eject their bottom feeders? Schools like Vanderbilt and Indiana.

I'm basing Miami's value in UCLA getting added. Granted LA is a larger market but USC was the bigger prize.

But UCLA's value in large part is tied up in the fact that they couldn't just add USC, they needed another west coast team.

That doesn't really apply to Miami.

Reactions: 303vND
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT