ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread...because

You have to prove you can dribble penetrate. Stevenson's line was not bad at all.

When Stevenson attempts to dribble penetrate he is the proverbial bull in a china shop. Sometimes that has worked against teams we have played so far, other times it has not. Tonight was one of those times when it did not, which is why he had three turnovers in his 16 minutes. The problem is that from now on his penetration attempts are going to be a lot less likely to succeed, because he is going to start going against generally better defenders and generally better team defenses.

Reactions: Chescat
If you are talking about a guy who is strictly a shooter then 33% probably isn't good enough. 33% on threes would make a guy a below average three point shooter. If that's all (or most) you are contributing you need to shoot it better than that or you are almost certainly a minus player.

And so there is no confusion, a minus player in terms of helping your team win or not, not a minus player in terms of +/-.

But on the other hand, if you are doing other things, for instance if you are a good defender or are good at driving the ball for baskets or drawing fouls or dishing off to open teammates then 33% is OK.
I am talking about Parker Stewart - what % is acceptable for him (as a freshman) from three?

He has 4 turnovers on a team that turns it over like crazy. He rebounds a bit and he screens without fouling.

I also think there is more in there. I think he handles the ball well enough to move defenders and can draw some fouls.

When Stevenson attempts to dribble penetrate he is the proverbial bull in a china shop. Sometimes that has worked against teams we have played so far, other times it has not. Tonight was one of those times when it did not, which is why he had three turnovers in his 16 minutes. The problem is that from now on his penetration attempts are going to be a lot less likely to succeed, because he is going to start going against generally better defenders and generally better team defenses.

-I understand that. But you have to prove you can do it at some point.

Right - I think Stevenson needs to back his man in, then go to a post move. I think he has some. You can't face your man and run into him.

I am talking about Parker Stewart - what % is acceptable for him (as a freshman) from three?

He has 4 turnovers on a team that turns it over like crazy. He rebounds a bit and he screens without fouling.

I also think there is more in there. I think he handles the ball well enough to move defenders and can draw some fouls.

I assumed so, and I think that's a hard question to answer right now.

He had two drives to the basket tonight. Those may have been his first two drives to the basket all season so far. It really does not look like that is a part of his game that we are going to be able to count on going forward. And the reason that he doesn't turn the ball over is that he never takes any chances at all with the ball. Some people used that against James Robinson, well Robinson was a Pearl Washington with the ball in his hands compared to Stewart. If we only count the ten guys who have played the most the only person he has a better assist rate than is Ilegomah. The reason that he doesn't turn the ball over isn't that he is a superior ball handler and passer, it's that he basically never ball handles and never attempts even moderately difficult passes.

And of course the real fly in the proverbial ointment is that so far his defense is bad. And that might be being generous. He is almost certainly going to have a lot of trouble trying to guard ACC twos and threes.

So if he shoots 33% on threes in ACC play and the rest of his game ends up being what it looks like it is going to be then he is going to be a net minus player. He'll end up being one of those guys who can (for illustrative purposes) score 12 and give up 18. Guys like that don't help you win.

But we will see. If I thought he was going to be able to defend ACC twos and threes at even an average level then the rest of his game plus 33% three point shooting would probably be good enough.

Reactions: Chescat
-I think Im more interested in knowing a few things.

-Plenty of Kenpom lovers on this board.

-All of you must be selling ASU. If they beat a full roster Arizona squad on the road since no once else has done it, does that vault ASU to #1?

-Why has Xavier, with one loss to ASU, almost dropped out of the Top 20 in Kenpom?

-Kenpom Believes at this point 5 teams from the Big 12 make the sweet 16. Ill sell hard, not even close. The Big 12 will be lucky to get 3, and I predict TCU gets its ass beat at home by Oklahoma. The Big 12 wont come close to putting 5 or 6 in the Sweet 16, and Ill wager heavy against it.

-Ill put my money where my mouth is the Big 12 is a complete fraud, kenpom is a complete fraud, and the Big 12 gets destroyed in the NCAA Tournament. Now a prediction in writing.

He had two drives to the basket tonight. Those may have been his first two drives to the basket all season so far. It really does not look like that is a part of his game that we are going to be able to count on going forward. And the reason that he doesn't turn the ball over is that he never takes any chances at all with the ball. Some people used that against James Robinson, well Robinson was a Pearl Washington with the ball in his hands compared to Stewart. If we only count the ten guys who have played the most the only person he has a better assist rate than is Ilegomah. The reason that he doesn't turn the ball over isn't that he is a superior ball handler and passer, it's that he basically never ball handles and never attempts even moderately difficult passes.

And of course the real fly in the proverbial ointment is that so far his defense is bad. And that might be being generous. He is almost certainly going to have a lot of trouble trying to guard ACC twos and threes.

So if he shoots 33% on threes in ACC play and the rest of his game ends up being what it looks like it is going to be then he is going to be a net minus player. He'll end up being one of those guys who can (for illustrative purposes) score 12 and give up 18. Guys like that don't help you win.

But we will see. If I thought he was going to be able to defend ACC twos and threes at even an average level then the rest of his game plus 33% three point shooting would probably be good enough.
Thanks for the reply

Why has Xavier, with one loss to ASU, almost dropped out of the Top 20 in Kenpom?

Just quickly eyeballing it it's because they barely beat East Tennessee State (2 points) and Marshall (4 points), both at home, in their two games before tonight. Neither of those two is very good, so barely scrapping by them at home most likely caused Xavier's rating to drop a little. Which is exactly what you would expect if you have at least half a brain.

The other thing is that the difference between teams 13 (Gonzaga) and 18 (Xavier) is really small right now. So if Xavier had played well in even one of the two of those games they would most likely be at least 13 at this point.

Also, I am not sure what you are looking at but he only has 4 Big 12 teams in his top 16 at this point. Kansas at 6, West Virginia at 8, Texas Tech at 12 and Oklahoma at 16. You putting your money where your mouth is would mean a lot more if you could count all the way up to four.

-I think Im more interested in knowing a few things.

-Plenty of Kenpom lovers on this board.

-All of you must be selling ASU. If they beat a full roster Arizona squad on the road since no once else has done it, does that vault ASU to #1?

-Why has Xavier, with one loss to ASU, almost dropped out of the Top 20 in Kenpom?

-Kenpom Believes at this point 5 teams from the Big 12 make the sweet 16. Ill sell hard, not even close. The Big 12 will be lucky to get 3, and I predict TCU gets its ass beat at home by Oklahoma. The Big 12 wont come close to putting 5 or 6 in the Sweet 16, and Ill wager heavy against it.

-Ill put my money where my mouth is the Big 12 is a complete fraud, kenpom is a complete fraud, and the Big 12 gets destroyed in the NCAA Tournament. Now a prediction in writing.

You continue to prove you have no idea how these ratings systems work or what they actually mean, yet you are sure they are a fraud. :confused:

Peace could develop into something, but I still think brown needs to develop into our starting center for next season. He certainly looked like he's on that path last night, very good game by him.

Peace could develop into something, but I still think brown needs to develop into our starting center for next season. He certainly looked like he's on that path last night, very good game by him.
Agree - Peace played 12 minutes without a rebound.

Do these advanced stats after the OC schedule has been completed (and I know it was against weak opposition) tell use anything more about Parker Stewart? Looking for your interpretation. (Parker Stewart is my new John Johnson) As to how he ranks defensively or more importantly, how much of a positive contributor is he? Any other insights from these stats regarding any of our other players would be welcomed as well. Thanks.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/pittsburgh/2018.html

You hit the nail on the head with this guy. Since the first game, I have been his
biggest critic on here. However technique wise, his shot looks very good. He is a shooter, but he's also a freshman, so I'll give him a pass for now. Problem is, when you
have a shooter who has the percentages he does, it renders him almost useless as
a shooter. When he has no floor game, and plays defense as badly as he does,
he then becomes useless as a player.
The Towson game, he did show me some things. He fought for rebounds and actually
put the ball on the floor and tried to create. If he continues to do these things, and
gets himself into the offensive flow, he might have a future here. I'm sure Stallings
is having an effect on his game in practice, because these things don't just suddenly
appear at game time. I'm assuming he's being coached up in practice. The true test
will come when we see him against ACC competition.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Do these advanced stats after the OC schedule has been completed (and I know it was against weak opposition) tell use anything more about Parker Stewart? Looking for your interpretation. (Parker Stewart is my new John Johnson) As to how he ranks defensively or more importantly, how much of a positive contributor is he? Any other insights from these stats regarding any of our other players would be welcomed as well. Thanks.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/pittsburgh/2018.html

I don't know that the numbers are telling us anything that is unexpected wrt Stewart, or really anyone else at this point. The numbers pretty much confirm that Ryan Luther has been our best player, both offensively and defensively. They confirm that our offensive rebounding is poor. They confirm that Carr has been good, and could be even better if he could stop turning the ball over. Specifically regarding Stewart they show that he basically never gets to the hoop (in 13 games he's only tried 11 twos), that he is very good at not turning the ball over but that his assist rate is also awful, and that while he pretty much never gets an offensive rebound (he has one all season) he's been a pretty good defensive rebounder for a guy at his position (his defensive rebounding rate is higher than both Wilson-Frame and Brown).

But like you said, you certainly have to take into account the level of competition. How Stewart handles ACC play is one of the reasons to watch the games from here on out.

And one more thing. Let's hope Stewart becomes a better college basketball player than John Johnson. That's a low bar to clear. But it may turn out to be a good comparison. Let's hope not.

I don't know that the numbers are telling us anything that is unexpected wrt Stewart, or really anyone else at this point. The numbers pretty much confirm that Ryan Luther has been our best player, both offensively and defensively. They confirm that our offensive rebounding is poor. They confirm that Carr has been good, and could be even better if he could stop turning the ball over. Specifically regarding Stewart they show that he basically never gets to the hoop (in 13 games he's only tried 11 twos), that he is very good at not turning the ball over but that his assist rate is also awful, and that while he pretty much never gets an offensive rebound (he has one all season) he's been a pretty good defensive rebounder for a guy at his position (his defensive rebounding rate is higher than both Wilson-Frame and Brown).

But like you said, you certainly have to take into account the level of competition. How Stewart handles ACC play is one of the reasons to watch the games from here on out.

And one more thing. Let's hope Stewart becomes a better college basketball player than John Johnson. That's a low bar to clear. But it may turn out to be a good comparison. Let's hope not.
Thanks for the reply. I always thought John Johnson picked the wrong schools to play at. Hopefully, Stewart has not made the same mistake.

He did have the most points and the second most minutes in the Towson game. Stallings in his post game said Stewart was our best player in that game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT