ADVERTISEMENT

How many people are you expecting for the UCF game?

Personally hoping for a night game....but I would think it would be a highly attended out of conference game regardless.

“Slightly” better than Ohio....and who knows when UCF will play at Pitt again.

With all due respect, UCF is 25-1 over the last two seasons and has been a major national story. We get the same crowd as Ohio does at Pitt?

Reactions: vietvet1
UCF could not draw a bachelor party If they handed out free beer while playing in Pittsburgh. 35,000 tops.

Yeah, they're not an opponent who is going to draw any extra fans - no different from Oklahoma State two years ago. If we're 2-1 or 3-0, I suspect we'll draw quite well. Otherwise, it will look like a church on Tuesday. No one is saying, "Holy cow, UCF is coming; I've got to be there for this one!"

And I say that with all due respect for what they've accomplished recently. It just doesn't move the needle for Pitt fans.

Personally hoping for a night game....but I would think it would be a highly attended out of conference game regardless.

“Slightly” better than Ohio....and who knows when UCF will play at Pitt again.
I hope never. UCF cancelled the the game at Pitt which was to follow Pitt playing at Central Florida in 2006. I'm not sure why Pitt didn't insist last year's game was played at Heinz and that it was to be the final game in the series.

Yeah, they're not an opponent who is going to draw any extra fans - no different from Oklahoma State two years ago. If we're 2-1 or 3-0, I suspect we'll draw quite well. Otherwise, it will look like a church on Tuesday. No one is saying, "Holy cow, UCF is coming; I've got to be there for this one!"

And I say that with all due respect for what they've accomplished recently. It just doesn't move the needle for Pitt fans.
Nothing moves the needle for yinzers unless it’s PSU, ND, or WVU. And then its their fans that move the needle. Yinzers don’t want to see local football unless it’s dum stullers.
The Pitt administration is mostly to blame since they didn’t give a damn about athletics for the better part of the last fifty years.

With all due respect, UCF is 25-1 over the last two seasons and has been a major national story. We get the same crowd as Ohio does at Pitt?
Don't take it personally. Pitt fans are fickle, when it comes to attending games.

Do you expect there will be a lot of people from Orlando visiting Pittsburgh?

If there's not 15,000 UCF fans there, I'd expect 45,000 total.

You will definitely hear “UCF” and “Let’s Go Knights!” throughout the Stadium. We are loud and proud.

Nothing moves the needle for yinzers unless it’s PSU, ND, or WVU. And then its their fans that move the needle. Yinzers don’t want to see local football unless it’s dum stullers.
The Pitt administration is mostly to blame since they didn’t give a damn about athletics for the better part of the last fifty years.
Not true... CK video of Pitt/Cincy Big East Championship game. The crowd was as good as any Steelers game I've been to. This town loves winners --simple as that. If the high standard is met, seating capacity is met. The culture is changing, if the Ws follow you'll see attendance rise.

Temple is a 100 minute drive from NYC and the northeast alumni travel easily.

Pitt is 6 hours from NYC. Four times as far.

I have a soft spot for UCF because I used to live in Orlando and I took graduate classes there. I nearly always root for the Knights.

Also, UCF has an excellent team and they’ve done a really nice job with that program. I went to visit some old friends last year and we toured the campus and it is just light years better than it was when I was there. It honestly doesn’t even look like the same place.

For my money, UCF is the most attractive program not currently in a major conference. You have the facilities, the recruiting base, the market and immense potential. I still think the Big 12 erred big time in passing on expansion a few years ago.

However, unfortunately, the majority opinion here is basically right. Rightly or wrongly, UCF is seen as just another school from a non-major conference.

I don’t think there will be a huge crowd for that game. If Pitt has a good record going in to the game, the crowd will be a little bit better.

If they limp into the game, say 1-2, with losses to Virginia and Penn State, there will be 30-35K people there. The stadium holds 68K fans and the seats are bright yellow, so that 30-35K will look like 15K fans.

I do think the average fan can distinguish between UCF and Ohio. They recognize that you are much better than the Bobcats. However, I don’t think the average fan here would see you as being of even the same caliber as our ACC schedule – even though you’ve proven that you’re far better than most ACC teams (including us) over the past few years.

I have a soft spot for UCF because I used to live in Orlando and I took graduate classes there. I nearly always root for the Knights.

Also, UCF has an excellent team and they’ve done a really nice job with that program. I went to visit some old friends last year and we toured the campus and it is just light years better than it was when I was there. It honestly doesn’t even look like the same place.

For my money, UCF is the most attractive program not currently in a major conference. You have the facilities, the recruiting base, the market and immense potential. I still think the Big 12 erred big time in passing on expansion a few years ago.

However, unfortunately, the majority opinion here is basically right. Rightly or wrongly, UCF is seen as just another school from a non-major conference.

I don’t think there will be a huge crowd for that game. If Pitt has a good record going in to the game, the crowd will be a little bit better.

If they limp into the game, say 1-2, with losses to Virginia and Penn State, there will be 30-35K people there. The stadium holds 68K fans and the seats are bright yellow, so that 30-35K will look like 15K fans.

I do think the average fan can distinguish between UCF and Ohio. They recognize that you are much better than the Bobcats. However, I don’t think the average fan here would see you as being of even the same caliber as our ACC schedule – even though you’ve proven that you’re far better than most ACC teams (including us) over the past few years.
Great post. Thanks!

Rightly or wrongly, UCF is seen as just another school from a non-major conference.

UCF is another directional school and you just don’t see schools like that sustain for long. They are no better than the 4th best program in their state. In that they are not much different than Ohio, Toledo, or Cincy. That won’t draw much in the way of attention. That’s why you can get tickets on line at the 45.

That’s also why no major conference wants them.

What does the pejorative “directional school” mean in a practical sense? If they changed their name back to Florida Tech, would everything suddenly change?

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
My guess is that UCF will draw an extra 1000 to 5000 fans beyond who would come for Ohio. The interesting question is if it's 1k or 5k. But yeah, pro sports town.

Reactions: pierre93
I hope never. UCF cancelled the the game at Pitt which was to follow Pitt playing at Central Florida in 2006. I'm not sure why Pitt didn't insist last year's game was played at Heinz and that it was to be the final game in the series.
Exactly and playing that game in sweltering conditions in an erector set stadium didn't help. The game should of been held at Heinz field no question.

Not true... CK video of Pitt/Cincy Big East Championship game. The crowd was as good as any Steelers game I've been to. This town loves winners --simple as that. If the high standard is met, seating capacity is met. The culture is changing, if the Ws follow you'll see attendance rise.
There were a LOT of Cincinnati fans there that day. Probably 50K Pitt fans and 25K Cincy. The same 35-40K Pitt fans show up to every game. Another 10K will come when the team is ranked or a big time opponent is here. The rest of attendance is from visiting fans.

There were a LOT of Cincinnati fans there that day. Probably 50K Pitt fans and 25K Cincy. The same 35-40K Pitt fans show up to every game. Another 10K will come when the team is ranked or a big time opponent is here. The rest of attendance is from visiting fans.

There were a lot of Cincinnati fans, but I don't think it was a 2:1 ratio. I'd say about 53K Pitt and 10K Cincinnati, although I'd be lying if I said I remembered exactly. I just don't remember feeling like they were "everywhere," per se.

Last edited:
The stadium only seated 65K, so those numbers couldn’t possibly be right. However, I definitely agree that Cincinnati REPRESENTED for that game. I still think they only had 15-17K fans there, but it was definitely an impressive showing by the Bearcat faithful.

Reactions: cbpitt2
Dr with a really good post and he is spot on. Although UCF is much better than Ohio and even us over the last 5+ years, this game does not move the needle at all for most of our fans. Other than ND, WVU or PSU, very little moves the needle unless we are winning. Like a few said on here, if we win our first 3, then we could have around 50K. However, we're more than likely to have no more than around 40K. Pitt has a great bunch of around 30K hard core fans and then the rest only come if the weather is perfect, the time is what they want or if there is nothing going on during the weekend. Always been too many excuses as to why they can't or don't want to attend.

The yinzers are just falling all over themselves for a chance to see a directional Florida University at Heinz Field.

30k tops

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT