ADVERTISEMENT

I am guessing the Dude and his buddies might need to concoct a new rumor

I didn’t say I think our $ goes up. You have the wrong guy.
we all have our opinions and they are based on nothing but hope and guesses. with ND telling big 10 No for the 234rd time, nothing is going to happen for years.

im feeling pretty decent about the ACC to be honest, no teams in the ACC will add enough value for the two conferences to bring them on and buy out the GOR rights, not for at least 7-8+ years. i'll worry about 2031 later.

Reactions: pittmeister
and there are plenty of big 12 fans worried as well. Not you of course. You lose texas and oklahoma and think your tv deal will go up because of UCF and houston lol.

I love how you just absolutely continue to ignore that little fact that the ACC has a GOR that makes any kind of movement have a price tag of 9 figures. Again, no one has yet to even attempt to fight this contract but again it goes ignored..
Interesting that you see the ACC GOR as a positive. Frankly, I could argue it is as much a detriment as it is a positive. Lets say you're right. If so, that means the ACC is locked in a shit TV contract for many years to come...making upwards of $65+m less than the teams in the big two conferences (for what, another decade +?!). And, if the GOR is so "ironclad", ESPN has zero reason to pony-up more $$ (and lets not forget, ESPN isn't exactly a printing press of $$ these days). They have you guys by the nuts and you have no leverage to muscle ESPN into ponying-up more $$. Your only hope is ND coming to your salvation and thereby reopening TV renegotiations...good luck with that.

So, either the GOR can be broken and you will lose a few of your top teams to the B1G or SEC. Or you're locked in a shit contract and can't go anywhere that will allow you to compete with those making 2-3x per year. So, I'm struggling to see how or why you and a few others on here are feeling so smug.

The ACC is probably going to lose teams eventually. However, the GOR at least allows the league to remain in tact for awhile and hope there is some landscape change. Like maybe Penn State University gets shut down by then due to the excessive football rapes and frat deaths so we can slide in
I'll give you that. There is still some outside chance that someday both the B1G and SEC will want to become true "super conferences" with upwards of 24 teams each. If that happens, there is hope for both WVU and Pitt. But, it doesn't appear that is going to happen near term and every year that passes is another $30+m in annual revenue that you fall behind to the chosen few in those two conferences.

I think WVU is only in a moderately better position. Our GOR does expire in two years and initial talks for the renegotiations are already set to begin. Despite what some of you believe, there is still a chance the B12 lands 4-6 PAC schools that will amp-up that TV deal....not to B1G or SEC levels, but certainly well past the ACC's current levels. Hence, I think we both have reason to be nervous. I also think there is an outside chance we will both land on our feet someday in the B1G or SEC. I just think WVU has reason to be slightly less nervous...at least as of July 20, 2022.

I'll give you that. There is still some outside chance that someday both the B1G and SEC will want to become true "super conferences" with upwards of 24 teams each. If that happens, there is hope for both WVU and Pitt. But, it doesn't appear that is going to happen near term and every year that passes is another $30+m in annual revenue that you fall behind to the chosen few in those two conferences.

I think WVU is only in a moderately better position. Our GOR does expire in two years and initial talks for the renegotiations are already set to begin. Despite what some of you believe, there is still a chance the B12 lands 4-6 PAC schools that will amp-up that TV deal....not to B1G or SEC levels, but certainly well past the ACC's current levels. Hence, I think we both have reason to be nervous. I also think there is an outside chance we will both land on our feet someday in the B1G or SEC. I just think WVU has reason to be slightly less nervous...at least as of July 20, 2022.

dear lord, are all big 12 fanbases this blindly naive on their conference or is it just these two guys?
We must really lack in hits and posts on these boards for the mods to allow these to continue. I’m not saying that the Auto Banhammer should be automatically applied for a stray smartarse post from an obvious interloper…that’s what the Nits do. But many of these dudes must have like a thousand or more posts on this board since this conference dung started. I don’t care, they’re easily ignored, and their delusions are amusing. I can kind of admire their psychotic hatred of Pitt to be so obsessed to put in so much time; hopefully this spike in hits is filling Rivals quota so they aren’t tempted to drop Pitt boards. I’d miss it…the other Pitt sites have far crappier user interfaces. 😄 So rock on, Dude Spawns

Last weekend I was at a church picnic and there was a guy who claimed to be a former ND fullback (90's to early 00's era, I would guess). He said zero chance of ND in the B1G or ACC. Pretty adamant.

Interestingly, he said if SEC/B1G goes to 18-20, ND will build their own conference with the academies, Pitt, BC, Cal, Stanford, Miami, GT and maybe 1-2 more so they can still schedule.

Interesting that you see the ACC GOR as a positive. Frankly, I could argue it is as much a detriment as it is a positive. Lets say you're right. If so, that means the ACC is locked in a shit TV contract for many years to come...making upwards of $65+m less than the teams in the big two conferences (for what, another decade +?!). And, if the GOR is so "ironclad", ESPN has zero reason to pony-up more $$ (and lets not forget, ESPN isn't exactly a printing press of $$ these days). They have you guys by the nuts and you have no leverage to muscle ESPN into ponying-up more $$. Your only hope is ND coming to your salvation and thereby reopening TV renegotiations...good luck with that.

So, either the GOR can be broken and you will lose a few of your top teams to the B1G or SEC. Or you're locked in a shit contract and can't go anywhere that will allow you to compete with those making 2-3x per year. So, I'm struggling to see how or why you and a few others on here are feeling so smug.
The ACC GoR is great for BC, Pitt, Wake, Syracuse and maybe a few others like NCSU or VT. It’s bad for the 5 better brands in the league.

Last weekend I was at a church picnic and there was a guy who claimed to be a former ND fullback (90's to early 00's era, I would guess). He said zero chance of ND in the B1G or ACC. Pretty adamant.

Interestingly, he said if SEC/B1G goes to 18-20, ND will build their own conference with the academies, Pitt, BC, Cal, Stanford, Miami, GT and maybe 1-2 more so they can still schedule.
Holy crap - well clearly he would know !
We have officially jumped the shark

I just think WVU has reason to be slightly less nervous...at least as of July 20, 2022.
Your league has lost 6 teams in the last decade and you are basically back in the old Big East. Your confidence in this league is admirable but also stupid.

And no Pac 12 school is choosing the Big 12 over the ACC. The Big 12 is trash even though you can't see that.

You are in the old Big East

WVU
Cincy
UCF (USF substitute)
Houston (Pitt substitute)
Kansas (Rutgers substitute)
Louisville (Baylor substitute)

You have some additional ok programs like BYU, OK St, K St, Iowa State, TT, and TCU but nobody cares about them

you do realize the big 12 lost their two biggest teams and replaced them with teams very few care about and your next tv deal will be substantially less.

The ACC has the GOR thru 2036, basically making it impossible for the SEC or big 10 to poach any schools. no lawyers have yet to even try to get around this.. I feel like big 12 apologists conveniently leave out the ACC GOR and also that little fact that texas and oklahoma left. kind of important in the grand scheme of things.
Regarding loosing TX and OK, the argument is not is the BXII one of the big2, it is who will become the 3rd most powerful conference and who will fall down to the next lower level. If the ACC GOR are as strong as they appear to be, what will the Clemson's, FSU and Miami look like after 10+ years receiving 1/2 what the big2 conferences get. Less dollars means losing good coaches, less NIL $, losing players to the portal = less viewers. The argument becomes is the BXII or the ACC in a better position to become #3. Both have pluses and minuses. However watching Commissioner JP yesterday did not provide a lot of confidence. The ACC's GOR gives stability today, but it also handcuffs the ACC's flexibility to make deals to enhance conference revenues while under the GOR. With the BXII GOR expiring soon, they have more flexibility to create value today.

Regarding loosing TX and OK, the argument is not is the BXII one of the big2, it is who will become the 3rd most powerful conference and who will fall down to the next lower level. If the ACC GOR are as strong as they appear to be, what will the Clemson's, FSU and Miami look like after 10+ years receiving 1/2 what the big2 conferences get. Less dollars means losing good coaches, less NIL $, losing players to the portal = less viewers. The argument becomes is the BXII or the ACC in a better position to become #3. Both have pluses and minuses. However watching Commissioner JP yesterday did not provide a lot of confidence. The ACC's GOR gives stability today, but it also handcuffs the ACC's flexibility to make deals to enhance conference revenues while under the GOR. With the BXII GOR expiring soon, they have more flexibility to create value today.
You’re telling me- despite losing Colorado , aTm, Nebraska , Missouri , Texas and Oklahoma -
And replacing them with off brand programs …
And never actually poaching from power conferences -
But NOW the B12 is going to ?!?!!!

you’re a damned fool

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
You guys are the reason people make fun of a WVU education. Your league is garbage. And the revenue gap is overrated. You cant pay the players. You can only spend the money on facilities upgrades and coaches but outside of a few premier coaches, most coaches are pretty similar. If Vanderbilt hires Narduzzi away for $15 million/year, does that mean we downgrade or might the MAC coach we hire be better?

You guys are the reason people make fun of a WVU education. Your league is garbage. And the revenue gap is overrated. You cant pay the players. You can only spend the money on facilities upgrades and coaches but outside of a few premier coaches, most coaches are pretty similar. If Vanderbilt hires Narduzzi away for $15 million/year, does that mean we downgrade or might the MAC coach we hire be better?
Just like you to go to a meaningless example. This is not a discussion about the mediocre teams. Try Saban retires and Bama hires Dabo. Vanderbilt, trying to stay in the B2 hires Mario Cirsobal after his success at Miami.

Just like you to go to a meaningless example. This is not a discussion about the mediocre teams. Try Saban retires and Bama hires Dabo. Vanderbilt, trying to stay in the B2 hires Mario Cirsobal after his success at Miami.
Alabama doesn't need ESPN money to hire Dabo. Alabama can pay him whatever he wants. Clemson can pay him whatever he wants. If Bama offers $20 million, Clemson will offer $20 million. Now Bama could pay like $40 million-$50 million per year and Clemson cannot but it wont get close to that high.

The bottom line is you cant pay the players so the money they are making is largely irrelevant. But that's also why Jim Phillips spoke at length about maintaining the current collegiate model. I am sure he understands that if the P2 break away and pay players, the ACC is done. But until that happens, there isn't any amount of money that can make Vandy better than Clemson or Rutgers better than Pitt because the money has to be spent on frivolous meaningless stuff.

Until players can be paid, it all comes down to booster pay for play NIL money. Whichever boosters pay the most will win. Player compensation is what wins. Not gold plated lockers and recording studios

Your league has lost 6 teams in the last decade and you are basically back in the old Big East. Your confidence in this league is admirable but also stupid.

And no Pac 12 school is choosing the Big 12 over the ACC. The Big 12 is trash even though you can't see that.

You are in the old Big East

WVU
Cincy
UCF (USF substitute)
Houston (Pitt substitute)
Kansas (Rutgers substitute)
Louisville (Baylor substitute)

You have some additional ok programs like BYU, OK St, K St, Iowa State, TT, and TCU but nobody cares about them
You are clearly triggered about something. You’ve been rather emotional in numerous discussions. Zero reason to attack the proud WVU alum. I received an incredible education in my field of study and at negligible cost.

I have zero issue with you cutting on WVU. Just seems like you are intentionally going a bit too far sometimes for some reason. I wouldn’t know what that would be.

You are clearly triggered about something. You’ve been rather emotional in numerous discussions. Zero reason to attack the proud WVU alum. I received an incredible education in my field of study and at negligible cost.

I have zero issue with you cutting on WVU. Just seems like you are intentionally going a bit too far sometimes for some reason. I wouldn’t know what that would be.
I have zero tolerance for stupidity

How does the GOR handcuff the ACC's flexibility? There are only a few teams (maybe one) that add value and they are going to hold out for an invite to the Big/SEC. That isn't on the GOR.

How does the big 12s supposed flexibility help them create value? By adding more G5 teams? That doesn't add value. By creating their own network (which the ACC already has)? Yeah, television partners are lining up out the door for that. Look, I guess that our WVU friends think that there will be a bidding war for their content...since everybody supposed wants live content, etc. ESPN and Fox have already walked away. NBC? They have let various leagues walk (NHL) and don't seem willing to throw around money on lower level products. It seems they have their NFL games and are happy in their niche. The ND content has already been pushed to Peacock (not every game). I may be surprised by the outcome, but I can't see a bidding war among networks/streaming services for the island of misfit toys. One that hasn't had an NFL first round pick in, what, three years running? One that has the lowest population centers and likely the worst bandwidth of any areas of the country?

Most conference revenues are related to football. As of right now, the Big XII’s best brand is Kansas basketball. Oklahoma State might be their top football brand.

The ACC has several basketball brands on par with Kansas (Duke, UNC, UVA) and lots of football brands bigger than Oklahoma State (Clemson, FSU, Miami).

So what is the argument really about?

How does the GOR handcuff the ACC's flexibility? There are only a few teams (maybe one) that add value and they are going to hold out for an invite to the Big/SEC. That isn't on the GOR.

How does the big 12s supposed flexibility help them create value? By adding more G5 teams? That doesn't add value. By creating their own network (which the ACC already has)? Yeah, television partners are lining up out the door for that. Look, I guess that our WVU friends think that there will be a bidding war for their content...since everybody supposed wants live content, etc. ESPN and Fox have already walked away. NBC? They have let various leagues walk (NHL) and don't seem willing to throw around money on lower level products. It seems they have their NFL games and are happy in their niche. The ND content has already been pushed to Peacock (not every game). I may be surprised by the outcome, but I can't see a bidding war among networks/streaming services for the island of misfit toys. One that hasn't had an NFL first round pick in, what, three years running? One that has the lowest population centers and likely the worst bandwidth of any areas of the country?
I haven’t subscribed to this but I think many XII fans are thinking there’s at least an outside chance that 4-6 schools from the PAC will join the league if the 30 day review comes back negatively for the PAC.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read on this forum that the garbage conference of the XII can’t equal stability. Of course it can. Stability is stability. Just because it’s not a power 2 conference doesn’t mean it can’t be stable. It’s clearly more stable than the PAC and an argument could be made that it’s more stable than ACC given the better brands in the ACC.

The fact is that no one knows if the GoR can be tested and no one knows exactly how the carriers are going to value programs in this day and age. Also, IF something were to happen to the PAC then the supply gets much less and that also increases the power of the XII at the negotiating table. Supply and demand. Follow the money with all of these moves. It’s short sighted to think that just because OUT left, that means the payout will be 20-30%. Of course, it’ll be less without them but the jury is out on how much less. We shall see.

I haven’t subscribed to this but I think many XII fans are thinking there’s at least an outside chance that 4-6 schools from the PAC will join the league if the 30 day review comes back negatively for the PAC.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read on this forum that the garbage conference of the XII can’t equal stability. Of course it can. Stability is stability. Just because it’s not a power 2 conference doesn’t mean it can’t be stable. It’s clearly more stable than the PAC and an argument could be made that it’s more stable than ACC given the better brands in the ACC.

The fact is that no one knows if the GoR can be tested and no one knows exactly how the carriers are going to value programs in this day and age. Also, IF something were to happen to the PAC then the supply gets much less and that also increases the power of the XII at the negotiating table. Supply and demand. Follow the money with all of these moves. It’s short sighted to think that just because OUT left, that means the payout will be 20-30%. Of course, it’ll be less without them but the jury is out on how much less. We shall see.
It seems likley that the 30 day review will come back negative and its also likely that if the PAC were to be no more that it will split along north-south lines. But even with the negative review, the PAC will likely decide to ride it out together until ND makes up it's mind.

I wouldn't call the big 12 a garbage conference. Sure it is 'stable' because no one is wanted anywhere else. I just don't see how that puts them in any better position than the ACC.

Yes, GOR CAN be tested. The question is WILL they be tested. Following the money, it seems that if a moneyed program like TX isn't testing a 2 year GOR, its highly unlikely that cash-strapped program like FSU will test a 14 year GOR. Presumable, the end payday for each would be about the same.

It seems likley that the 30 day review will come back negative and its also likely that if the PAC were to be no more that it will split along north-south lines. But even with the negative review, the PAC will likely decide to ride it out together until ND makes up it's mind.

I wouldn't call the big 12 a garbage conference. Sure it is 'stable' because no one is wanted anywhere else. I just don't see how that puts them in any better position than the ACC.

Yes, GOR CAN be tested. The question is WILL they be tested. Following the money, it seems that if a moneyed program like TX isn't testing a 2 year GOR, its highly unlikely that cash-strapped program like FSU will test a 14 year GOR. Presumable, the end payday for each would be about the same.
When people call it a garbage conference, they’re referring to the “brand/market” appeal and it definitely lacks in that area.

They aren’t talking about the football part of things. I get that. Staples made this point as well and followed it up by saying the new XII is better than PAC and ACC, top to bottom….which isn’t debatable.

I guess in theory the ACC could bribe it’s better brands through uneven revenue sharing. Hope they get better, and then get a better contract when the current one runs out on the strength of a revitalized Miami-FSU-Clemson led conference.

That’s not even a possibility for the Big XII.

These experts predicted 4 pac 10 schools were joining big 12 a few days ago. Breaking news imminent.

Chalk it up to another miss, making him now 0-133 on conference realignment predictions.

I swear, he is going to get one of these right. I mean, mathematically he has to eventually.

Reactions: pittdan77
These experts predicted 4 pac 10 schools were joining big 12 a few days ago. Breaking news imminent.

Chalk it up to another miss, making him now 0-133 on conference realignment predictions.

I swear, he is going to get one of these right. I mean, mathematically he has to eventually.
If the ACC allows these teams go to the Big 12, its a major blunder. The ACC should grab up the best brands left and basically eliminate the other conferences. If for no other reason, if the Pac 12 and Big 12 are gone, you are guaranteed #3 forever.

I've posted this before but I'll try it again with 6 teams divisons. The top 3 division champs and the next best overall team make the ACC Football Tournament

ACC West
Washington
Oregon
Cal
Stanford
Arizona
Utah

ACC Central
Colorado
Kansas
OK St
TT
Louisville
Wake

ACC South
Miami
FSU
GT
Clemson
NC State
UNC

ACC North
Duke
UVa
VT
Pitt
Syr
BC

If the ACC allows these teams go to the Big 12, its a major blunder. The ACC should grab up the best brands left and basically eliminate the other conferences. If for no other reason, if the Pac 12 and Big 12 are gone, you are guaranteed #3 forever.

I've posted this before but I'll try it again with 6 teams divisons. The top 3 division champs and the next best overall team make the ACC Football Tournament

ACC West
Washington
Oregon
Cal
Stanford
Arizona
Utah

ACC Central
Colorado
Kansas
OK St
TT
Louisville
Wake

ACC South
Miami
FSU
GT
Clemson
NC State
UNC

ACC North
Duke
UVa
VT
Pitt
Syr
BC
I’m assuming espn has crunched the numbers for the acc with these possible additions. Maybe it doesn’t make sense financially OR maybe those pac 12 schools aren’t interested.

Everyone has their own opinions and bias. I mean "former ND fullback" Okay. I believe that. But I am guessing the ACC isn't conferring with James Conner on potential expansion scenarios.

Reactions: USN_Panther

He got the USC/UCLA to B1G back in April. Throw enough s*** against the wall and you’ll be right once in awhile.

The other thing these rumor guys do is give out a wide range of scenarios so they can always go back and pin the tweet, etc. They aren’t dumb. They have an understanding of possible scenarios. It’s just that they have no basis in what’s actually happening.

Why do some WVU fans always seem to be predicting an apocalypse for the ACC? I sense a feeling of desperation there that they wish to project onto others.

The truth is this: the ACC is presently a stable conference. Within the next few years, the conference will do its best to increase its payouts.

Presently, there are only 2 conferences in a state of flux with perhaps a tad of panic. Those conferences are to the west of the Mississippi.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
I’m assuming espn has crunched the numbers for the acc with these possible additions. Maybe it doesn’t make sense financially OR maybe those pac 12 schools aren’t interested.
The only reason I could see the P12 schools not being interested is because they may not want to sign the GOR so they can be "free agents." If they did, I think the money is there.

The contact is up in 2036. We'll see. The GOR seems to be holding Texas and OU. I remember how all the Big 12 internet people were bragging about how great and ironclad the GOR is back in 2010 or whatever. Well, they might have been right. The thing you NEVER here is will the Big 12 sign a new GOR with their new contract. I would think not but what does that say about the league?

The contact is up in 2036. We'll see. The GOR seems to be holding Texas and OU. I remember how all the Big 12 internet people were bragging about how great and ironclad the GOR is back in 2010 or whatever. Well, they might have been right. The thing you NEVER here is will the Big 12 sign a new GOR with their new contract. I would think not but what does that say about the league?
I seriously think the GOR is the best thing going for our salvation. That and espn having a vested interest in saving the ACC being a dust and 2nd.

It wouldn't save the league. It would potentially help get more money until Clemson, FSU, Miami, and UNC can leave when the GOR is up.

And you’re assuming they are going to wait that long. If they have no intention of waiting that long, it would follow they don’t really care about adding your supporting cast.

The only reason I could see the P12 schools not being interested is because they may not want to sign the GOR so they can be "free agents." If they did, I think the money is there.

Or they don’t want unequal revenue sharing.

Although I’m not sure what choice many of them have. It would be a stupid reason to not do it if that was the case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT