ADVERTISEMENT

It's A Hockey Night In Pittsburgh !

Speaking of Sully, do they let him go if the Rags win on Sunday? Blowing a 3-1 lead to them was the downfall for Bylsma.
I think there’s a decent chance. I get the psychological blow of losing 87 but wow this one was rough to take

Great post. I heard someone say, actually it was Tocchet that if the Penguin players send a message to Trouba after he elbowed Jake, he doesn’t knock Sid out of the game. Of course Tocchet has this mindset. But as long as the NHL has this kind of stuff in the game, you gotta respond to the bullshit.
Only wish Tocchet could suit up for Sunday .. Things could change immediately .. But ...

I feel like just because it was a tough loss it somehow seems to redeem the Rangers for the gooning. It can’t be forgotten. They purposefully put a hit on the best player in the game, and it was expressly because they couldn’t beat him or his line legitimately. That is flabbergasting. “It’s the game”. Hell it is. Tough play and fighting has it place, but keep the cement head sh*t among the enforcers. In no way can it be shrugged off.

The NHL is solely to blame for giving this series to the Rangers. No number of poor plays or lack of saves in any of the given games is more detrimental than the removal of Crosby from the last 1.5 games and almost surely the finale.
How ironic that zibanejad shows up and has a hat trick in the game that he doesn’t have to worry about Sid.

Great post. I heard someone say, actually it was Tocchet that if the Penguin players send a message to Trouba after he elbowed Jake, he doesn’t knock Sid out of the game. Of course Tocchet has this mindset. But as long as the NHL has this kind of stuff in the game, you gotta respond to the bullshit.
Sully is too much of a gentleman. Wait I shoulda used the sarcasm font. Trouba Should be on the shelf because the this bush league doesn’t enforce rules consistently. I mean perfect example. How has Tom Wilson not been banned from the league

ill bitch about the coaching, if they lose this series it will be losing in every possible way four first rounds in a row and his seat should be pretty hot next year

at some point the results should matter and the excuses - however good they are - should not

Reactions: anon_4dfwm2pijbr0a
Rob Rossi said it best today. He said this is why the NHL is the #7 sport in the top 4 pro sports leagues.

and my feeling with the NHL is this. The hit on Crosby is a microcosm of the league. They allow curtain jerkers who have never sold one ticket to impact and change a series, instead of the best player in the playoffs.

There's a good reason why the NHL and professional hockey is not one of the favorite American sports. Winners are seldom determined by the better players and skills. This series is proof. It's all about unknown goons seeing how many of the skilled players they can take out of the games. The outcomes of games then become meaningless.

I don’t disagree, but you know how trigger-happy this league can be. I hope they can consider the context when examining this season.
Regardless of how any of us feel, does he play the way Hextall wants the Pens to play? Because Sully has his style and I get the sense Hextall is begrudgingly accepting it now but won’t for long.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
It's apparent that the NHL is a bush league. Surprising that so many people still watch it at all. Probably because down deep, hockey is a great game. And it's being ruined by goons and the NHL.

It's apparent that the NHL is a bush league. Surprising that so many people still watch it at all. Probably because down deep, hockey is a great game. And it's being ruined by goons and the NHL.
We’ve been saying this for 40 years. It’s not changing.

Btw that Malkin goal was Mario-esque. Brought back memories of Mario on the PK with that long reach. Too bad Malkin could never kill penalties. His reach could have been a real asset.

We’ve been saying this for 40 years. It’s not changing.
Unfortunately not
The regular season was called clean , fun wide open hockey , really entertaining .
Then seems the directive comes down for the refs to allow obstruction , cheap shots to the head , and just an ugly game

every post season is the same crap

Said, I am not the coach, but Jarry looked fine to me.
I thought there was a chance Jarry played tonight. Game 6 was the time to insert him. But the coach knows better than me.

I think there’s a decent chance. I get the psychological blow of losing 87 but wow this one was rough to take
One thing is for sure, the Fenway Group knows how to run a sports franchise. What they did with Liverpool FC was simply amazing. Maybe they will pull all the right strings here.

Reactions: anon_4dfwm2pijbr0a
Speaking of Sully, do they let him go if the Rags win on Sunday? Blowing a 3-1 lead to them was the downfall for Bylsma.
Hell no
He’s a great coach
Time for a change. His "play the right way" may still work in the regular season, but his playoff chops have expired. Even if the Pens managed to advance past the first round, their SC contention has been absent for 5 years with Sidney Crosby and friends still in tow.

Changes need made to the roster. Make it a clean sweep and retool with a new coach too. If it takes a couple of recovery years, they deal with it and adjust the makeup of the team.

The Pens defense may be good at what Sully likes in advancing the puck, but as a unit, they are soft defending their end and protecting their ground. Skill works better with some sandpaper and abrasion to complement when it comes to the playoffs.

Reactions: gary2
The game was fine for years. Everyone took care of their own business instead of this constant whining.

The constant whining is what is ruining the game.

Winners just win, losers complain about how the game is officiated.

What do you want to be? Decide.
When was the game fine? When it was on sportschannel? When it was on OHN? Versus? If the game was fine, it wouldnt be an afterthought and the league would have leverage with real tv networks and have lucrative deals. And the word afterthought is being generous because the league isn’t really in too many peoples thoughts.

I feel like just because it was a tough loss it somehow seems to redeem the Rangers for the gooning. It can’t be forgotten. They purposefully put a hit on the best player in the game, and it was expressly because they couldn’t beat him or his line legitimately. That is flabbergasting. “It’s the game”. Hell it is. Tough play and fighting has it place, but keep the cement head sh*t among the enforcers. In no way can it be shrugged off.

The NHL is solely to blame for giving this series to the Rangers. No number of poor plays or lack of saves in any of the given games is more detrimental than the removal of Crosby from the last 1.5 games and almost surely the finale.
Can’t argue with any of this… it delegitimizes the sport

I feel Sullivan can’t be blamed for this series loss (which I’ve pretty much already written off). The team played above and beyond for him in this one. They have essentially a random stranger off the street playing in the net. The promising winger they dealt for specifically for the playoffs, got gooned into the injury list immediately in the first game. The greatest player in the game is gooned into a concussion that could possibly end his career. No discipline in the least for any of these purposeful attempts to injure. There’s only so much adversity a team can take. Especially when it is imposed on them by the league itself.

That’s not the reason this team hasn’t advanced from the first round in years....they keep getting their best players plunked because other teams can get away with it.
If the Pens get behind in game 7, I do hope they headhunt two or three Rangers as payback. Make sure they aren't going any further.

Unfortunately not
The regular season was called clean , fun wide open hockey , really entertaining .
Then seems the directive comes down for the refs to allow obstruction , cheap shots to the head , and just an ugly game

every post season is the same crap
Actually there have been alot of goals scored in almost every series. Those 2-1 games are a rarity this year. So there has been more of a shift back to offense.

Well....I think we all waited for Cinderella to turn into a pumpkin. And he did. Waiting for him to lose a game. And he did. I am not sure he is even a 3rd goalie on most teams. I don't mean this as an assault on Domingue, it is what it is. The fact the Pens are going to a Game 7 with him manning the nets 90% of the time is amazing in itself.

But all series long, I saw him fight the puck. Struggle to track and see. And those soccer goalie like punch saves, well it finally caught up to him.

I don't know guys, I see Shersterkin finally show up in Game 7. If 87, 61 (what is Rackell's number?) and 35 can't play. It's golfing time. What kills me is how fast the Pens give up their leads. I mean when the Rangers get 1, they get 2 and 3 pretty quickly. That is where a goalie needs to stand up and make a save.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Yinzers get sentimental. They think guys like Duck Hodges and King Louie are going to lead our beloved teams to the promised land. We all love a good story, and because we do we all convince ourselves that the guy who was fluttering around on the ice like a fish out of water was actually playing great. The fact is the team had to play adjust their game in front of him. The guys save % is the same as Jarry’s in the post season but somehow Jarry sucked last year and Louie is great this year.

Jarry is your #1 and the other guy is your #3 journeymen. You might lose with Jarry, but he’s your #1 for a reason, so that’s who you play. He should have played last night.

Yinzers get sentimental. They think guys like Duck Hodges and King Louie are going to lead our beloved teams to the promised land. We all love a good story, and because we do we all convince ourselves that the guy who was fluttering around on the ice like a fish out of water was actually playing great. The fact is the team had to play adjust their game in front of him. The guys save % is the same as Jarry’s in the post season but somehow Jarry sucked last year and Louie is great this year.

Jarry is your #1 and the other guy is your #3 journeymen. You might lose with Jarry, but he’s your #1 for a reason, so that’s who you play. He should have played last night.
But….Sullivan won 3 cups

Even though every Pittsburgh sports media person said after the game that Domingue has been terrible, awful, choose your adjectives. Souf of course knows all and claims otherwise.

He's never wrong so we should all just take every single post he makes about everything as 100% true.

Well....I think we all waited for Cinderella to turn into a pumpkin. And he did. Waiting for him to lose a game. And he did. I am not sure he is even a 3rd goalie on most teams. I don't mean this as an assault on Domingue, it is what it is. The fact the Pens are going to a Game 7 with him manning the nets 90% of the time is amazing in itself.

But all series long, I saw him fight the puck. Struggle to track and see. And those soccer goalie like punch saves, well it finally caught up to him.

I don't know guys, I see Shersterkin finally show up in Game 7. If 87, 61 (what is Rackell's number?) and 35 can't play. It's golfing time. What kills me is how fast the Pens give up their leads. I mean when the Rangers get 1, they get 2 and 3 pretty quickly. That is where a goalie needs to stand up and make a save.
You can also say pretty matter of factly, when the other team scores 1, 2, 3 goals that fast, that’s when the other 5 guys on the ice need to step up, not just the goalie.

Sheesh, how bout get the puck out of your end once and awhile instead of putting it all on the goalie.

Domingue gave up a big time bad goal to lose that game, but let’s not ignore what got them to that point. They got sorely outplayed on special teams big time yesterday. That was the difference in the game. Rodriguez taking the stupid penalty started it all.

The other thing that hurt…Rust missing a wide open net off a perfect pass.

This guy Hunter must not have watched last year’s playoff if he thinks this year’s goaltending is bad.
There’s a difference between exceeding expectations and playing great. You said Domingue has played great and Jarry was bad. Yet, it’s been virtually the same. Perception is a funny thing.

There’s a difference between exceeding expectations and playing great. You said Domingue has played great and Jarry was bad. Yet, it’s been virtually the same. Perception is a funny thing.

FWIW, by the advanced metrics Domingue has been uncommonly bad.

Which is no different than what we should have expected.

They need to win in spite of him, not rely on winning because of him.

Said, I am not the coach, but Jarry looked fine to me.

Isn't what he looked like to the medical staff more important?

Does anyone seriously think that after what we've seen from Domingue that if Jarry were healthy and was cleared to play by the medical people that they would have played Domingue anyway?

Isn't what he looked like to the medical staff more important?

Does anyone seriously think that after what we've seen from Domingue that if Jarry were healthy and was cleared to play by the medical people that they would have played Domingue anyway?
Not disagreeing with you at all. The medical staff makes this decision.

I said Letang threw some shade at Sullivan. Maybe the Sullivan philosophy is/has worn thin with at least some of the players?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT