ADVERTISEMENT

It's A Hockey Night In Pittsburgh !

After Malkin’s big goal, did the Rangers try to take him out (in addition to Rakel, DeSmith and Crosby)?

He was approached from behind with contact to his leg. He demonstrated that he felt it.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I said Letang threw some shade at Sullivan. Maybe the Sullivan philosophy is/has worn thin with at least some of the players?

How is him saying that Jarry looked good throwing shade at Sullivan? The fact that he may (or may not) look good in practice in no way at all implies that he was cleared to play in the game.

We all understand that guys are generally cleared to practice before they are cleared to play in games, right?

If Sidney Crosby goes out and skates today and one of the players says that he was looking pretty good while skating, is that throwing shade at Sullivan if Crosby is not medially cleared to play in the game tomorrow?

Reactions: goalieman
How is him saying that Jarry looked good throwing shade at Sullivan? The fact that he may (or may not) look good in practice in no way at all implies that he was cleared to play in the game.

We all understand that guys are generally cleared to practice before they are cleared to play in games, right?

If Sidney Crosby goes out and skates today and one of the players says that he was looking pretty good while skating, is that throwing shade at Sullivan if Crosby is not medially cleared to play in the game tomorrow?
Saying Jarrylooked good to me, is answering a question.

Saying specifically , I am not the coach, is more.

You can also say pretty matter of factly, when the other team scores 1, 2, 3 goals that fast, that’s when the other 5 guys on the ice need to step up, not just the goalie.

Sheesh, how bout get the puck out of your end once and awhile instead of putting it all on the goalie.

Domingue gave up a big time bad goal to lose that game, but let’s not ignore what got them to that point. They got sorely outplayed on special teams big time yesterday. That was the difference in the game. Rodriguez taking the stupid penalty started it all.

The other thing that hurt…Rust missing a wide open net off a perfect pass.
Or moments before Krieder scored, Guentzel deflected that puck which Shesterkin barely got a piece of but he did to cause it to go high. Because that was ticketed for the top corner.

You can also say pretty matter of factly, when the other team scores 1, 2, 3 goals that fast, that’s when the other 5 guys on the ice need to step up, not just the goalie.

Sheesh, how bout get the puck out of your end once and awhile instead of putting it all on the goalie.

Domingue gave up a big time bad goal to lose that game, but let’s not ignore what got them to that point. They got sorely outplayed on special teams big time yesterday. That was the difference in the game. Rodriguez taking the stupid penalty started it all.

The other thing that hurt…Rust missing a wide open net off a perfect pass.
Or moments before Krieder scored, Guentzel deflected that puck which Shesterkin barely got a piece of but he did to cause it to go high. Because that was ticketed for the top corner.

Yinzers get sentimental. They think guys like Duck Hodges and King Louie are going to lead our beloved teams to the promised land. We all love a good story, and because we do we all convince ourselves that the guy who was fluttering around on the ice like a fish out of water was actually playing great. The fact is the team had to play adjust their game in front of him. The guys save % is the same as Jarry’s in the post season but somehow Jarry sucked last year and Louie is great this year.

Jarry is your #1 and the other guy is your #3 journeymen. You might lose with Jarry, but he’s your #1 for a reason, so that’s who you play. He should have played last night.
Nobody suspected either player would lead the team to a championship - that’s crazy talk
It’s more like rooting for an underdog who everybody knows doesn’t actually belong out there

Pens have squandered two 3 on 5's, one for a full 2 minutes, the other almost that long. Only 2 shots on goal on each opportunity, AND the best scoring chance on both occasions have come from the RANGERS!!

Pens Rodriguez played stupid last night, not remembering the situation, and foolishly retaliated against a Ranger cross check with a nifty one of his own. Of course, the second guy ALWAYS gets penalized. THAT PP, with Letang's nifty screen of Louie, opened the floodgates.

The second PP goal was a long slapper that Louie should have seen and stopped. Very bad.

The third goal was again due to a lazy shift change by the Pens, allowing the Rangers goalie to make a perfect pass to send two Rangers in on Louie unmolested and all alone. He stopped the first shot, but no one was there to help him with the second guy who didn't miss dunking the rebound in.

The game winning goal was the worst one let in in this series. Just gawd awful. He knew it, as did everyone else.

A lot of Penguin players need to look in the mirror after two bad losses where they had 2 goal leads. Losing a player/leader the stature of Crosby is horrible, but all these guys are professionals, there are still a couple if not 3 hall of famers out there. They should be able to make a two goal lead stand up, or at least add to it in 2 periods of play.

If they lose, and it kind of seems like that is where this is headed, it won't just be because of the goalie. If he played down to everyone's expectations, the series would be over already!

Pens have squandered two 3 on 5's, one for a full 2 minutes, the other almost that long. Only 2 shots on goal on each opportunity, AND the best scoring chance on both occasions have come from the RANGERS!!

Pens Rodriguez played stupid last night, not remembering the situation, and foolishly retaliated against a Ranger cross check with a nifty one of his own. Of course, the second guy ALWAYS gets penalized. THAT PP, with Letang's nifty screen of Louie, opened the floodgates.

The second PP goal was a long slapper that Louie should have seen and stopped. Very bad.

The third goal was again due to a lazy shift change by the Pens, allowing the Rangers goalie to make a perfect pass to send two Rangers in on Louie unmolested and all alone. He stopped the first shot, but no one was there to help him with the second guy who didn't miss dunking the rebound in.

The game winning goal was the worst one let in in this series. Just gawd awful. He knew it, as did everyone else.

A lot of Penguin players need to look in the mirror after two bad losses where they had 2 goal leads. Losing a player/leader the stature of Crosby is horrible, but all these guys are professionals, there are still a couple if not 3 hall of famers out there. They should be able to make a two goal lead stand up, or at least add to it in 2 periods of play.

If they lose, and it kind of seems like that is where this is headed, it won't just be because of the goalie. If he played down to everyone's expectations, the series would be over already!
Excellent post and spot on analysis of the 4 goals !

Crosby and Jarry and Rakell all full participants at practice Saturday in Cranberry.
Expect the return of the 3 amigos for game 7.

Pens are going out with all guns blazing, it would appear.
Domulin still out though. He could help Letang, but if they get those 3 back, and Jarry isn't too rusty, they have a pretty good chance.

Reactions: goalieman
Crosby and Jarry and Rakell all full participants at practice Saturday in Cranberry.
Expect the return of the 3 amigos for game 7.

Pens are going out with all guns blazing, it would appear.
Domulin still out though. He could help Letang, but if they get those 3 back, and Jarry isn't too rusty, they have a pretty good chance.
Jarry's going to stone the Rangers. Pens will win 3-1 (empty net goal). You heard it here first.

Isn't what he looked like to the medical staff more important?

Does anyone seriously think that after what we've seen from Domingue that if Jarry were healthy and was cleared to play by the medical people that they would have played Domingue anyway?
Right and in a goalies case, he could have been cleared to play from the fracture standpoint but not be ready to play in a game yet ....... not only what was the medical staffs report but what did the goalie coach see in his practice session ....... he was off 4 weeks, is he conditioned enough to play 60 + minutes, what is his lateral movement like, are his power pushes strong enough on the broken foot, is his reaction time and muscle memory up to par, etc. ? ........ the more practice he gets, the better he will get in all areas ....... this was not a game time decision as shortly after practice in the morning the Pens announced Jarry was out for the game ..... it is unusual for Sullivan to announce who starts in goal more than about 3 hours prior to the game which makes me think Jarry either wasn't cleared or if so wasn't felt ready to play yet ....... hopefully he will be ready to play in Game 7 !

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Filliponi called into Pompeani's show earlier and asked why Rust isn't being blamed as much as Domingue. Domingue let in a horrible (even if fluky) goal, but he's a third stringer. Rust missed a wide-open net.
Yep...Rust needs to bury that. He’s missed a ton of great chances this series.

Good post, agree with all of it.

Pasternak just got mugged at the boards with a flying elbow to the head. They are not calling any of these anywhere.

If the Pens go up 2-0 I’ll start to worry.
It’s a crazy game. Always like to score 1st instead of playing from behind.

But we not only score 1st in 2 straight games but we score the 1st 2…….and still lose.

But all that being said, I’ll still feel more comfortable tomorrow scoring first than getting in a hole and having to play catch up.

Reactions: USN_Panther
It’s a crazy game. Always like to score 1st instead of playing from behind.

But we not only score 1st in 2 straight games but we score the 1st 2…….and still lose.

But all that being said, I’ll still feel more comfortable tomorrow scoring first than getting in a hole and having to play catch up.
They can't play to protect a 2 goal lead in the second period. Have to make it 3 or 4 goal lead to play that way that early.

The other thing that should be mentioned about that goal, if you torture yourself and watch the replay again, what the frack is Chad Ruhwedel doing there? First of all, he's the defenseman who gets caught standing there at the blue line allowing that pass to be completed to a guy who is moving right past him without making any effort to try to play the puck or take the man when the pass is completed or well, anything at all.

And then to compound that he just kind of lazily lopes after the play, so that when the initial shot is stopped he is no where to be found to either potentially clean up the rebound or wipe out the Ranger who goes for the rebound. He needs to be busting his ass there, especially after standing by and doing nothing to stop the play at the blue line, and instead he skated back like it was a practice in October.

Last edited:
Reactions: 303vND
I’m watching this EDM/LA game and why did the Pens choose Simon over Archibald a couple years ago? That guy is FAST and has been a good bottom six forward for the Oilers. Could’ve been a nice replacement for Hagelin.

Buccigross: "Ok, who do you got...Rangers or Penguins?"

Melrose: "Penguins!"

Chelios: "Barry is a smart guy, so I'll go along with that, Penguins."

The wildcard is Igor tonight. He can't be permitted to remain comfortable. All goalies hate traffic, but he seems particularly bothered by it.

Crash the net, persistent traffic, and do everything possible to get under his skin. If he's comfortable and seeing pucks its not going to end well. Some Hornqvist style play would go a long way.

I would consider parking Carter in front of the net on the #1 power play.

Sounds like Rickard Rakell will as well. I feel a little more confident now.
if the rags are smart they will play controlled and press when the opportunity presents itself... being the rags i expect they will try to blow the pens out of the barn from the start, exhaust themselves, hand the pens the first period again. maybe if jarry does play he will make some saves for the inevitable second period pens letdown in front of him, saves that domingue has not

Jarry is such a wildcard tonight. He hasn’t played in a month, hasn’t really had that much practice, and he’s thrown into a game 7 on the road. I’m not saying he shouldn’t start, but if he’s no better than Domingue we shouldn’t be surprised.
Tough situation either way, hopefully Jarry will play great.

Like everyone I made my own convoluted predictions the other night, I’m not going to bother tonight. I’ve learned from the last couple that I can’t even feel good if the Penguins grab the lead. It almost feels like they would be better off if they went down in game early.

Glad Jarry is ready, as well as the new guy… but I think it is foolhardy to use Crosby, assuming he did indeed have another concussion. I’ve no doubt he’d not only play, but put his head through a wall to do so, but the team should be more responsible and considerate of his long term health. It hasn’t been long enough of a recovery, and the Rangers certainly won’t lay off of him, quite the opposite actually (and the league obviously doesn’t care what they do to him).

Jarry is such a wildcard tonight. He hasn’t played in a month, hasn’t really had that much practice, and he’s thrown into a game 7 on the road. I’m not saying he shouldn’t start, but if he’s no better than Domingue we shouldn’t be surprised.
Tough situation either way, hopefully Jarry will play great.
Just said the same thing to my better half.

Reactions: 303vND
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT