ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny Payne…..

thebadby2

Athletic Director
Sep 21, 2003
Driving the Ville program over a cliff., Stallings style.

Before the second half of last season, when’s the last time Louisville’s gym was half full for a home game?

Idiotic hire.

Before the second half of last season, when’s the last time Louisville’s gym was half full for a home game?

Idiotic hire.
Perhaps they can right the ship with the next hire. ...maybe find a coach that was fired from their last job and has been an assistant at their alma mater for the last 7 years. That's clearly the path back to greatness.

friends sleep GIF

Idiotic hire.

Louisville's attedance has been remarkably good considering how bad they've been. Filling half of an NBA arena is really impressive.

Payne is definitely the worst P6 coach in history. Luckily, they play ND because they may go 0-20

Lol. Why? What does that accomplish?

He's one of their own & played on a National Championship team. It serves zero purpose to make a change in season.

I agree that right now it would serve no purpose. But sometime before the end of the season it will serve a purpose, namely to let potential hires know that their job is available and to not take anything else before talking to Louisville (assuming that they are interested in Louisville).

It's not a big advantage, but it can be a small one.

I agree that right now it would serve no purpose. But sometime before the end of the season it will serve a purpose, namely to let potential hires know that their job is available and to not take anything else before talking to Louisville (assuming that they are interested in Louisville).

It's not a big advantage, but it can be a small one.

They can gage interest through back channels. I don't think it's any big secret that job is going to open at the end of the year.

Any serious candidate for that job should still be coaching their team when Louisville's season comes to an end anyway.

For everyone that wants Brandin Knight as head coach with zero experience, get a good look at Payne and, to a lesser extent, Kyle Neptune.
Tommy Lloyd looks pretty damn good at Arizona

Idiotic hire.

All I can say is that his kid is not a great basketball player but he did an excellent job directing the film The Holdovers.

All I can say is that his kid is not a great basketball player but he did an excellent job directing the film The Holdovers.
Sideways and Election are two of the cinematic masterworks of my generation.

Sideways and Election are two of the cinematic masterworks of my generation.
I always considered Sideways among my 10 favorite films of all time and I can watch it each and every time I see it on cable. But I just saw the Holdovers and I may have like it more.

I did not like Election nearly as much. Not sure why that film doesn't do it for me.

Mike Woodson has done ok as the hiring of a former player. Indiana’s recruiting is better than it’s ever been. His lack of development and in game coaching could be questioned. We’ve wanted Sean Miller here for years. Kevin Willard would’ve been a fine hire. There’s nothing wrong with hiring BK IF our program was more stable. He’s one of the 3 highest paid assistants in the country and help transform Rutgers. I’d hire him, but unfortunately it’s gonna be too big of a risk for Heather unless she whiffs on a few.

^ all under the assumption we have a chance to hire him.

But KP is done. Mick Cronin is already picking out houses in Louisville, KY.

Mike Woodson has done ok as the hiring of a former player. Indiana’s recruiting is better than it’s ever been. His lack of development and in game coaching could be questioned. We’ve wanted Sean Miller here for years. Kevin Willard would’ve been a fine hire. There’s nothing wrong with hiring BK IF our program was more stable. He’s one of the 3 highest paid assistants in the country and help transform Rutgers. I’d hire him, but unfortunately it’s gonna be too big of a risk for Heather unless she whiffs on a few.

^ all under the assumption we have a chance to hire him.

But KP is done. Mick Cronin is already picking out houses in Louisville, KY.

I wouldn't hire Brandin Knight because he doesn't want to be a HC bad enough. He enjoys living in Jersey making good money with no pressure. You need guys who WANT that NEC job and then put in the hours to get that CAA job so they can get an ACC job.

No he doesn't
He might. Mack is still being paid. It's tough for a program like Louisville to pay three head coaches at the same time. Especially the money Mack got to leave X and the guy you would want to attract to your program. Remember donors are ponying a lot of their resources to NIL and not the universities these days.

But if I was Louisville I would get rid of him and hire Will Wade. His sins are no longer sins and he would be cheap.

I wouldn't hire Brandin Knight because he doesn't want to be a HC bad enough. He enjoys living in Jersey making good money with no pressure. You need guys who WANT that NEC job and then put in the hours to get that CAA job so they can get an ACC job.
That’s so dumb. Micah Shrewsberry didn’t wanna be a head coach enough either since he turned down jobs before Penn State? If you’re an accomplished African American assistant making 750k a year, you don’t leave for an NEC job paying 300k a year. What a dumb stance

Reactions: Ski11585
It's tough for a program like Louisville to pay three head coaches at the same time.

Louisville is one of the most profitable teams in college basketball. In fact in some years they have been THE most profitable team. They are not going to sit around and lose millions and millions of dollars a year because their attendance sucks because their coach is awful.

Firing Payne and starting to fill their building again would easily pay for itself.

Reactions: buckage
That’s so dumb. Micah Shrewsberry didn’t wanna be a head coach enough either since he turned down jobs before Penn State? If you’re an accomplished African American assistant making 750k a year, you don’t leave for an NEC job paying 300k a year. What a dumb stance

Exactly. He enjoys the cushy, no pressure lifestyle. He doesnt want to grind for 300K at Fairleigh Dickinson. He doesn't want to work his ass off to win at FDU so he can get that Iona job. He's comfortable. He's rich and happy. Nothing wrong with that. But that's not the mentality we need

Exactly. He enjoys the cushy, no pressure lifestyle. He doesnt want to grind for 300K at Fairleigh Dickinson. He doesn't want to work his ass off to win at FDU so he can get that Iona job. He's comfortable. He's rich and happy. Nothing wrong with that. But that's not the mentality we need
Lol what an odd take

Reactions: pittjas
Coming from a guy who thinks money is everything, yeah, it's odd.

Its a career path. You bet on yourself. You get that right? You take paycut in the NEC for a few years, then you get promoted to the MAAC, getting close to assistant coach P6 salary. Then you get the P6 payday. Then you win and you become truly wealthy. BK is too comfortable to bet on himself.

Its a career path. You bet on yourself. You get that right? You take paycut in the NEC for a few years, then you get promoted to the MAAC, getting close to assistant coach P6 salary. Then you get the P6 payday. Then you win and you become truly wealthy. BK is too comfortable to bet on himself.

And yet in the past you've talked about how someone should take a job or not take a job based simply on what would make them the most money.

I mean you can think that money is the be all and end all, or you can think that career path is far more important, but you don't get to pick and choose depending on which one fits the argument that you want to make today.

Or, well, you can. But it just makes you look silly.

Reactions: PittPharm2002

That type of cut in salary isn't betting on yourself. That's sheer stupidity.

It’s a career path. You bet on yourself. You get that right? You take paycut in the NEC for a few years, then you get promoted to the MAAC, getting close to assistant coach P6 salary. Then you get the P6 payday. Then you win and you become truly wealthy. BK is too comfortable to bet on himself.
That type of cut in salary isn't betting on yourself. That's sheer stupidity.
There are a number of stories of guys who started outside of coaching in high-paying corporate jobs and bet on themselves by taking a low-level coaching job. I believe Brad Stevens is a prime example. Knight obviously is doing a nice job of distributing the bags of cash at Rutgers because we all know he was a below average recruiter when he was Jamie’s top assistant. I root for the guy, but he shouldn’t be in the Top 50 candidates for the Pitt job if/when Capel is done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT