ADVERTISEMENT

Loss of two Panthers

My condolences…My mom died when she was 32 and my dad died at 67. Remember to thank God for allowing them to be part of you life for so long. You have been blessed.

May they Rest In Peace…. Thanks for sharing…

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
You have my sympathy. It sounds to me like they were a great couple and you and your brother were blessed.

I haven't had the heart to mention this sooner or post on this topic but am going to try now. The Panther family lost two panthers earlier this year. My parents both passed earlier this summer within 6 weeks of each other. This has been a difficult year for my brother and I and our families.

My dad was a professor at Pitt who while retired years ago started at Pitt in the late sixties and saw every era off football since - Pitt was unbelievably bad when he started - but the Majors years were just a few years away. Much later when I was a Pitt undergraduate my mom also worked in administration at Pitt for about 10 years. Prior to that she had been an RN.

Both were season tix holders for around 35 years they stopped about 5 years ago mainly due to age/health but both were very dialed in to Pitt.

My entire fandom with Pitt was born as a 10 year old seeing Dorsett and that truly magical 76 season and was because of them . I have truly wonderful memories of those days I'm sure others who were around then can also attest to. Those days were great. Going into Oakland as a family- get lunch somewhere- visit " My Campus Store" and take the climb up cardiac hill to the stadium. In those days you could go on the feild postgame and I remember watching the 70s version of the drumline and band etc after each win .... and they kept winning...and winning... like I said... great times ! My dad at one point got a field pass and got photos I believe Marinos freshman year. He always had a big camera bag with him.

I miss them both dearly and it wil be tough to not talk about whatever the ups and downs of Pitt football (and basketball) may come this season. My mom and I especially talked on the phone often and lots of that was Pitt sports talk.

Mom was a poster here and while I won't say who I'll say she was both a Pitt fan and a Michigan fan. My parents met at U of M when my dad was finishing his doctorate.

Both were really excited back in my days at Pitt when I played in the drumline... in some ways it was full circle from my childhood. Dad got that all on camera too from warm ups at Bellefield Annex to " Out of the Hole!" at Pitt Stadium.

There's plenty of good memories I've forgotten I'm sure but thought I'd share with Panther nation now that I can handle actually writing about this.

I miss you guys

Sorry for your loss, I bet they were great people and parents

I haven't had the heart to mention this sooner or post on this topic but am going to try now. The Panther family lost two panthers earlier this year. My parents both passed earlier this summer within 6 weeks of each other. This has been a difficult year for my brother and I and our families.

My dad was a professor at Pitt who while retired years ago started at Pitt in the late sixties and saw every era off football since - Pitt was unbelievably bad when he started - but the Majors years were just a few years away. Much later when I was a Pitt undergraduate my mom also worked in administration at Pitt for about 10 years. Prior to that she had been an RN.

Both were season tix holders for around 35 years they stopped about 5 years ago mainly due to age/health but both were very dialed in to Pitt.

My entire fandom with Pitt was born as a 10 year old seeing Dorsett and that truly magical 76 season and was because of them . I have truly wonderful memories of those days I'm sure others who were around then can also attest to. Those days were great. Going into Oakland as a family- get lunch somewhere- visit " My Campus Store" and take the climb up cardiac hill to the stadium. In those days you could go on the feild postgame and I remember watching the 70s version of the drumline and band etc after each win .... and they kept winning...and winning... like I said... great times ! My dad at one point got a field pass and got photos I believe Marinos freshman year. He always had a big camera bag with him.

I miss them both dearly and it wil be tough to not talk about whatever the ups and downs of Pitt football (and basketball) may come this season. My mom and I especially talked on the phone often and lots of that was Pitt sports talk.

Mom was a poster here and while I won't say who I'll say she was both a Pitt fan and a Michigan fan. My parents met at U of M when my dad was finishing his doctorate.

Both were really excited back in my days at Pitt when I played in the drumline... in some ways it was full circle from my childhood. Dad got that all on camera too from warm ups at Bellefield Annex to " Out of the Hole!" at Pitt Stadium.

There's plenty of good memories I've forgotten I'm sure but thought I'd share with Panther nation now that I can handle actually writing about this.

I miss you guys
God bless you and your family

Thanks you guys this was from 2017. But I admit every year when a new season starts I can’t help but think of both of them.

Interesting story; the summer of ‘76 we went to Knoxville for an Engineering conference ( my Dad was a prof) and we all went on the trip. Also went to Gatlinburg and Cherokee. Anyway that summer the buzz according to my parents was that Tennessee was going to “take our coach”…, well the football season that fall we all know what happened. And sure enough after the Sugar Bowl Johnny Majors left.

it made last weekend’s outcome kinda special being the Major’s Classic.

H2P!!!

I miss you guys
Godspeed to you and your family.

Some really great memories. To have your family so tied to the university is really special.

In the end this is what life is about. We can all enjoy football and memories but family is so special need to enjoy as much as we can in this short life.

Deepest condolences to you and your family. Pitt football through thick and thin has always been a family affair with my family and with your family and many others!

Hail to Pitt and Hail to your parents!

Deepest condolences to you and your family. Pitt football through thick and thin has always been a family affair with my family and with your family and many others!

Hail to Pitt and Hail to your parents!

My dad would get so frustrated at me going up that hill at 5, he always thought I bullshitted too much and needed to walk faster. Lol.

Be comforted with the knowledge of how special that time must of been to your parents to spend time and share days with you as a child and imagine the pride they felt in seeing you come "Out of The Hole" at Pitt stadium and your many other accomplishments.

Those days were great. Going into Oakland as a family- get lunch somewhere
Yes they were !

I miss you guys
RIP and condolences Druid. As others have said here it’s obvious from your heartfelt post that your folks were high quality people. Honestly it made me think about my own reasons for being a Pitt fan despite not being an alum or ever having lived in PA. My parents met as students at Pitt and my dad in particular was a rabid fan. I was raised to be one as well and spent numerous weekends with my dad showing me the sights and sounds of Oakland on a Pitt Gameday before and after games. The O was his go-to nostalgic place from his days in Oakland and we hit it every time. I had the privilege of coming up as a Pitt fan when Pitt football was really, really good, I had cousins who played at Pitt that we visited after those games. Special times and memories. My dad passed away in 2017 and I really miss my annual Pitt football and basketball banter with him. Your post caused me think about my dad-thanks for sharing. Again, sincere condolences for your loss and RIP to your folks, you honored them very nicely with your post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT