ADVERTISEMENT

Loss of two Panthers

DruidTM

Heisman Winner
Oct 26, 2012
I haven't had the heart to mention this sooner or post on this topic but am going to try now. The Panther family lost two panthers earlier this year. My parents both passed earlier this summer within 6 weeks of each other. This has been a difficult year for my brother and I and our families.

My dad was a professor at Pitt who while retired years ago started at Pitt in the late sixties and saw every era off football since - Pitt was unbelievably bad when he started - but the Majors years were just a few years away. Much later when I was a Pitt undergraduate my mom also worked in administration at Pitt for about 10 years. Prior to that she had been an RN.

Both were season tix holders for around 35 years they stopped about 5 years ago mainly due to age/health but both were very dialed in to Pitt.

My entire fandom with Pitt was born as a 10 year old seeing Dorsett and that truly magical 76 season and was because of them . I have truly wonderful memories of those days I'm sure others who were around then can also attest to. Those days were great. Going into Oakland as a family- get lunch somewhere- visit " My Campus Store" and take the climb up cardiac hill to the stadium. In those days you could go on the feild postgame and I remember watching the 70s version of the drumline and band etc after each win .... and they kept winning...and winning... like I said... great times ! My dad at one point got a field pass and got photos I believe Marinos freshman year. He always had a big camera bag with him.

I miss them both dearly and it wil be tough to not talk about whatever the ups and downs of Pitt football (and basketball) may come this season. My mom and I especially talked on the phone often and lots of that was Pitt sports talk.

Mom was a poster here and while I won't say who I'll say she was both a Pitt fan and a Michigan fan. My parents met at U of M when my dad was finishing his doctorate.

Both were really excited back in my days at Pitt when I played in the drumline... in some ways it was full circle from my childhood. Dad got that all on camera too from warm ups at Bellefield Annex to " Out of the Hole!" at Pitt Stadium.

There's plenty of good memories I've forgotten I'm sure but thought I'd share with Panther nation now that I can handle actually writing about this.

I miss you guys

Very sorry for your loss...it's never easy to lose a parent. Very much enjoyed your post. You have some great memories of your parents which I am sure will be stirred every Fall. That's one of the great things about college FB as an alum. Every game triggers memories of past times with friends and family through good and difficult moments. It one of the things I believe we miss most about not playing on campus. Like you, I was fortunate to have experienced some great times with my family at Pitt sporting events including those that occurred during the glory years. Let's hang on to those memories of what Pitt is capable of doing when everyone is pushing in the same direction! Without those we can easily be swayed into believing otherwise.

DruidTM, thanks for sharing.

I know from experience what it's like to lose one parent. I can't imagine losing both as close together as you experienced. That has to be especially difficult.

I can only express what some of the other good people in this post have expressed. Try to be thankful for the fact that you were blessed with good parents who loved you; and you, them.

Reactions: DruidTM
I haven't had the heart to mention this sooner or post on this topic but am going to try now. The Panther family lost two panthers earlier this year. My parents both passed earlier this summer within 6 weeks of each other. This has been a difficult year for my brother and I and our families.

My dad was a professor at Pitt who while retired years ago started at Pitt in the late sixties and saw every era off football since - Pitt was unbelievably bad when he started - but the Majors years were just a few years away. Much later when I was a Pitt undergraduate my mom also worked in administration at Pitt for about 10 years. Prior to that she had been an RN.

Both were season tix holders for around 35 years they stopped about 5 years ago mainly due to age/health but both were very dialed in to Pitt.

My entire fandom with Pitt was born as a 10 year old seeing Dorsett and that truly magical 76 season and was because of them . I have truly wonderful memories of those days I'm sure others who were around then can also attest to. Those days were great. Going into Oakland as a family- get lunch somewhere- visit " My Campus Store" and take the climb up cardiac hill to the stadium. In those days you could go on the feild postgame and I remember watching the 70s version of the drumline and band etc after each win .... and they kept winning...and winning... like I said... great times ! My dad at one point got a field pass and got photos I believe Marinos freshman year. He always had a big camera bag with him.

I miss them both dearly and it wil be tough to not talk about whatever the ups and downs of Pitt football (and basketball) may come this season. My mom and I especially talked on the phone often and lots of that was Pitt sports talk.

Mom was a poster here and while I won't say who I'll say she was both a Pitt fan and a Michigan fan. My parents met at U of M when my dad was finishing his doctorate.

Both were really excited back in my days at Pitt when I played in the drumline... in some ways it was full circle from my childhood. Dad got that all on camera too from warm ups at Bellefield Annex to " Out of the Hole!" at Pitt Stadium.

There's plenty of good memories I've forgotten I'm sure but thought I'd share with Panther nation now that I can handle actually writing about this.

I miss you guys
Awesome post Druid. Condolences on your tough year. I love that both your Dad and Mom worked at Pitt. My father went to night school for 10 years from 1960 to 1970 to get his doctorate of education at Pitt. These WWIIers did anything it took to make a better life for their families. Now as I approach 60 and my parents have been gone awhile, I'm hoping I can live long enough to see a real resurgence of Pitt athletics (especially football), but part of me thinks we will be hard pressed to ever see a championship team (ACC or otherwise) again. The key is keeping Narduzzi in the fold, and move forward with few steps back.

Condolences on the loss of your parents.

Sounds like the saying -- don't cry because it's over; smile because it happened -- applies well to you and your brother.

Reactions: CCHS82 and DruidTM

I miss you guys
Druid.....my condolences to you and your family. They left great memories in many ways. Take comfort in that.

Awesome post Druid. Condolences on your tough year. I love that both your Dad and Mom worked at Pitt. My father went to night school for 10 years from 1960 to 1970 to get his doctorate of education at Pitt. These WWIIers did anything it took to make a better life for their families. Now as I approach 60 and my parents have been gone awhile, I'm hoping I can live long enough to see a real resurgence of Pitt athletics (especially football), but part of me thinks we will be hard pressed to ever see a championship team (ACC or otherwise) again. The key is keeping Narduzzi in the fold, and move forward with few steps back.

Somerset -- agree about the drive of that generation. My grandfather lived through the Great Depression and wasn't capable of sitting still, even in his "retirement." Was your father an administrator in the area? I attended Shanksville.

Thanks to you all for the nice comments-I appreciate it BTW my handle on this board is totally derived from a nickname my Dad gave me as a young kid " Druid".... not sure why he called me that but I liked it well enough to use it here for many years now " TM" is of course trademark after someone tried the Lair ID theft a long time ago

DruidTM, thanks for sharing.

I know from experience what it's like to lose one parent. I can't imagine losing both as close together as you experienced. That has to be especially difficult.

I can only express what some of the other good people in this post have expressed. Try to be thankful for the fact that you were blessed with good parents who loved you; and you, them.

I miss you guys
Druid, saw your post and wanted to express my condolences to you and your brother. I would also like to leave you with this brief thought. Please take this in the spirit that it is given and that is with great compassion. I would hope for you to find comfort in knowing that God’s love for your parents supersedes the understanding of the love you have for them and yet the love you have for them has never been compromised. Also find comfort in knowing God loves you and your family as much as he loves both your parents.

Reactions: Mikefln and DruidTM

I miss you guys
DruidTM I'm very sorry for your loss.

I miss you guys

DruidTM, sorry on your loss and be thankful you have the many memories.
Your Parents are with you know and always!
Hail to your Parents and Hail to PITT !

Thanks to you all for the nice comments-I appreciate it BTW my handle on this board is totally derived from a nickname my Dad gave me as a young kid " Druid".... not sure why he called me that but I liked it well enough to use it here for many years now " TM" is of course trademark after someone tried the Lair ID theft a long time ago

Reading the posts brings back many memories of my Parents and tears !

I miss you guys

Great memories. Thanks for sharing. I have similar memories as my parents loved Pitt Football till their deaths. My mother would follow Pitt loyally even when she was too elderly to attend the games in person.

My condolences to you and your brother for your loss. Your parents legacy lives on through you. Again, thanks for sharing.

H2P !!

Druid,
So sorry to hear of your loss. In reading your post, it is evident you had a great relationship with them. Be comforted by the thought of how much joy you brought to your parents and how proud they were of you.

I miss you guys
Sorry to hear this Druid. I hope you and your family recover from this as well as a family can.

Your post exhibits the beautiful relationship you had with your parents. Keep those memories in a warm spot in your heart.

I miss you guys
Sorry for your loss!

I miss you guys

My very best thoughts are with you.

all princess di commentary aside. I am sorry for your loss. that is tough, hug your brother and well wishes to you both

I miss you guys
Beautiful post from a long time fellow poster. It is tough to lose your parents but please know that the sorrow will gradually be replaced by many happy and peaceful memories in your heart. Hang in there my man. And hail to Pitt.

Somerset -- agree about the drive of that generation. My grandfather lived through the Great Depression and wasn't capable of sitting still, even in his "retirement." Was your father an administrator in the area? I attended Shanksville.
He was. Spent years teaching in West Mifflin, then Vice Principal at West Mifflin North High School. Became Principal as Carnegie HS in '66 and then at Carlynton when they merged in 1970. We moved to Somerset in late 1970 when he became Asst. Superintendent at somerset SD. Retired 1983.

I miss you guys
Extremely well written and my deepest condolences

Sorry for your loss Druid, but it's great that you were blessed with such awesome parents.

It's also a great reminder about what it is that is so special about being a fan. It brings people together. Family, friends, the camaraderie... Sometimes we get too caught up in the wins & losses and forget to just enjoy the spectacle of it all and those we share it with.

I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

H2P!

DruidTM

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your parents.

As someone who also lost both parents not too far apart, I can tell you it may take quite some time to find peace. It's tough enough losing one parent, but when you lose both, it is just devastating- like the end of the world (at least it did for me). The two people who you could always count on to be there for you no matter what are now (all of the sudden) no longer there. You may even feel cheated for having lost them both so close together. You almost certainly are feeling two very big holes in your heart right now- holes that will never fully mend. I only bring all of this up so that I can then let you know, while you may never fully get over their passing, it does get better.

You may even find you start beating yourself up for not having asked them more questions about certain details of their lives. Questions about particular interests/likes/opinions or stories about your parents' youth or their early years together which you now may realize you do not know the answer to. There's no way around it- it really sucks.

But then when you start remembering all of the very precious and meaningful times you've shared together, you begin to feel a little better. All of the face to face (and phone) conversations and all of the special things they said to you and did for you (and your brother), and even some of the special things you were able to do for them. That's when you can start to smile a little and feel so gratelful, so thankful that you were their son. So thankful for all that they taught you and all of the unconditional love and support they gave you. And you will see... they will live on with you, if you will let them.

Be there for your brother and allow your brother to be there for you during this difficult time to help each other cope and remember and heal.

God Bless.

By the way, my mother was an RN too and she and my dad had 4 Pitt season tickets for many years too, starting in the late sixties. I too was fortunate enough to accompany my parents to many of those games as a boy from the mid seventies through the eighties... climbing cardiac hill together with so many other fans. Both of my parents went to Pitt for undergrad, as did my brother.

Last edited:
Very, very nice post. It sure sounds like you shared a special bond with your parents. They will always be part of the Pitt family. My condolences to you and your family. H2P

Druid, as someone who has experienced this low point in life, I can only hope you can dwell on all the good times you have shared with them. God Bless.

DruidTM

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your parents.

As someone who also lost both parents not too far apart, I can tell you it may take quite some time to find peace. It's tough enough losing one parent, but when you lose both, it is just devastating- like the end of the world (at least it did for me). The two people who you could always count on to be there for you no matter what are now (all of the sudden) no longer there. You may even feel cheated for having lost them both so close together. You almost certainly are feeling two very big holes in your heart right now- holes that will never fully mend. I only bring all of this up so that I can then let you know, while you may never fully get over their passing, it does get better.

You may even find you start beating yourself up for not having asked them more questions about certain details of their lives. Questions about particular interests/likes/opinions or stories about your parents' youth or their early years together which you now may realize you do not know the answer to. There's no way around it- it really sucks.

But then when you start remembering all of the very precious and meaningful times you've shared together, you begin to feel a little better. All of the face to face (and phone) conversations and all of the special things they said to you and did for you (and your brother), and even some of the special things you were able to do for them. That's when you can start to smile a little and feel so gratelful, so thankful that you were their son. So thankful for all that they taught you and all of the unconditional love and support they gave you. And you will see... they will live on with you, if you will let them.

Be there for your brother and allow your brother to be there for you during this difficult time to help each other cope and remember and heal.

God Bless.

By the way, my mother was an RN too and she and my dad had 4 Pitt season tickets for many years too, starting in the late sixties. I too was fortunate enough to accompany my parents to many of those games as a boy from the mid seventies through the eighties... climbing cardiac hill together with so many other fans. Both of my parents went to Pitt for undergrad, as did my brother.
99.... I can just say yes yes yes to what you posted on all of this.... that's precisely what it's feeling like. Thank you

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
It's tough to lose a parent let a lone two so close together.I lost my Dad back in 2010.I'd like to say things get better with time but it seems as time goes by he's missed more than ever.Sometimes I just wish he was still hear to help me or give advise.I think I know who your Mom was on here by your hint.I think her nickname started with a J and second part was B.Prayers to you and yours.

I miss you guys

Well done.

I miss you guys
Thanks for sharing. A very touching story. I too was introduced to Pitt Football by my parents, who had no affiliation with Pitt just enjoyed great football. What younger posters don't realize is that Pitt was like Clemson or Alabama today. They attracted followers because they were great.

Anyway. my condolences on the loss of your parents.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT