ADVERTISEMENT

Max Browne is done . Da Nooch may

An average college football coach is about 1000 times more qualified than any of us are to determine which of his own players give his team the best chance to win football games.

I'm not suggesting Browne is great or even good, but I think it's pretty obvious by virtue of the fact that he's starting that he's the best option we have.
I'm not saying every coach decision is the right one. I'm saying we only see what players do on Saturdays, we don't know how they perform or what's going on with them day to day.

Sometimes the QB that performs the best in practice isn't the guy that performs the best in a game, but after 2 games I don't think Browne has earned a benching. I also don't think DiNucci has done anything in live game play to deserve a start. A couple reps inside the 5 and a few reps against PSU's prevent didn't show us much other than what we already know about him. I do think the coaches should think about some situational use of DiNucci to make our offense less predictable and harder to defend in certain downs and distances.

I'm not suggesting Browne is any great shakes. He may be replaced at some point, possibly even soon. But there is definitely a reason Browne is playing ahead of DiNucci, and it is most certainly based on performance as opposed to some kind of bias toward a player that had no relationship with any of our coaches a year ago. You can also bet that Browne wasn't promised anything but a fair shot to win the starting job from what he knew to be a thin field.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
I'm not saying every coach decision is the right one. I'm saying we only see what players do on Saturdays, we don't know how they perform or what's going on with them day to day.

Sometimes the QB that performs the best in practice isn't the guy that performs the best in a game, but after 2 games I don't think Browne has earned a benching. I also don't think DiNucci has done anything in live game play to deserve a start. A couple reps inside the 5 and a few reps against PSU's prevent didn't show us much other than what we already know about him. I do think the coaches should think about some situational use of DiNucci to make our offense less predictable and harder to defend in certain downs and distances.

I'm not suggesting Browne is any great shakes. He may be replaced at some point, possibly even soon. But there is definitely a reason Browne is playing ahead of DiNucci, and it is most certainly based on performance as opposed to some kind of bias toward a player that had no relationship with any of our coaches a year ago. You can also bet that Browne wasn't promised anything but a fair shot to win the starting job from what he knew to be a thin field.
The performance on Saturdays is my only concern
If he's great at practice he's a valuable member of the scout team

Reactions: Swervin27
The performance on Saturdays is my only concern
If he's great at practice he's a valuable member of the scout team
The coaches aren't wheeling Browne out there to start on Saturdays because they're confident that they have better options.

I'd look for DiNucci or possibly even Pickett, or both to get meaningful mid-game reps though, likely starting Saturday. Unless of course Browne is playing well and the offemse is getting the job done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT