ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe Kenny is not the answer

CBS shared this stat today...

315 QBs have 500 pass attempts since the merger. Only one has thrown a touchdown on fewer than 2% of his attempts: Kenny Pickett (1.9%)

Yeah, but let's blame Canada for all of this. Kenny is not the answer.
In Trubiskys last 3 seasons in Chicago his TD% was 5.5, 3.3 and 5.4. His one season as starter in Pittsburgh under Canada it was 2.2. Not that far above 2.0 and not materially different from Kenny’s 1.9. He also never had a negative TD/INT ratio until he fell under tutelage of Canada. Canada makes all around him worse. He has to go. Anything other than him being fired is lip sticking a pig.

In Trubiskys last 3 seasons in Chicago his TD% was 5.5, 3.3 and 5.4. His one season as starter in Pittsburgh under Canada it was 2.2. Not that far above 2.0 and not materially different from Kenny’s 1.9. He also never had a negative TD/INT ratio until he fell under tutelage of Canada. Canada makes all around him worse. He has to go. Anything other than him being fired is lip sticking a pig.
No QB will succeed under Canada. I don’t care who they bring in to compete with Kenny, the results will be the same.

Walt Harris played DB in college.

Mike Leach never played college football..

Charlie Weis didn't play college football.
Todd Haley played golf in high school, never played football at any level, not even peewee league.

There's nothing good you can say about his performance for the most part. make a case otherwise.
Not defending him, Steelers just don’t have anyone on the roster at that position who will save the season

Amazing that Josh Dobbs might actually be better than any quarterback currently on the Steelers roster lol

Not defending him, Steelers just don’t have anyone on the roster at that position who will save the season
I don't care about saving the season, I just want to get at least 2 different QBs by training camp. They'll keep Kenny, bring in a veteran (NOT DOBBS!) and rookie to compete with him and bye bye Mason and Mitch, that's what a smart team would do, so dumbass Tomlin and dumbass Rooney won't, they aren't smart.

Reactions: Pitt8189
that's a really low bar, please don't tell me you'd want him back :)
Lol that is a low bar but I don’t think Pickett is better than him.

Watching last night Dobbs basically wets himself when the game is on the line though

Reactions: Pitt79
Why do you think that is happening? His last year at Pitt he completed every pass imaginable for about 65-68%. Is it simply the differences in defenses he faces in the NFL vs College? Does he need time to adjust? Or has Canada ruined his development by making him too scared to look to 2nd/3rd options or throw the ball further than 8 yds downfield? At this point in his career, he needs to be completing 60% of his passes for about 190 yds and 2 TDs a game.

I'm not an expert on the NFL and what goes on there. But when I watch Kenny, I see defenses playing a lot faster than they did in college, obviously. Everything happens a lot quicker in the pros. Kenny hasn't adjusted to that increase in speed yet and he's frustrated. I'm not sure he is capable of adjusting yet. Maybe give him some time and that will change.

Kenny's body language and facial expressions say it all.

I'm not an expert on the NFL and what goes on there. But when I watch Kenny, I see defenses playing a lot faster than they did in college, obviously. Everything happens a lot quicker in the pros. Kenny hasn't adjusted to that increase in speed yet and he's frustrated. I'm not sure he is capable of adjusting yet. Maybe give him some time and that will change.

Kenny's body language and facial expressions say it all.
just doesnt want to look at anyone else, he immediately gets rid of it, pocket was there, many options but check-down Kenny not seeing it..

Probably not the answer and guess what? I'm okay with that. I'm tired of Pitt players succeeding at the next level but not helping them win at Pitt. Kenny brought an ACC title to Pitt. That's more important to me than what he does at the next level. Many programs have players that help them win at one level but not the next. So what?

Probably not the answer and guess what? I'm okay with that. I'm tired of Pitt players succeeding at the next level but not helping them win at Pitt. Kenny brought an ACC title to Pitt. That's more important to me than what he does at the next level. Many programs have players that help them win at one level but not the next. So what?
what pitt players didnt help pitt win in college but went on to have success in the nfl??

im sure there are a few, im asking more out of curiousity than debating with you.

I think Goings played a bit in the nfl, Darnel Dinkins in late 90's played about 4 positions before having much more success in nfl. Anthony Dorsett had a nice career but all of these are going back a bit..

Some Pitt guys played on bad teams but that's different, they were good players on bad teams, it's not like they didnt "help" them win, more that there werent other good players. guys like Curtis Martin, Rueben Brown, Tumulty and Billy Davis come to mind..

what pitt players didnt help pitt win in college but went on to have success in the nfl??

im sure there are a few, im asking more out of curiousity than debating with you.

I think Goings played a bit in the nfl, Darnel Dinkins in late 90's played about 4 positions before having much more success in nfl. Anthony Dorsett had a nice career but all of these are going back a bit..

Some Pitt guys played on bad teams but that's different, they were good players on bad teams, it's not like they didnt "help" them win, more that there werent other good players. guys like Curtis Martin, Rueben Brown, Tumulty and Billy Davis come to mind..
Sessions was much better in the pros than college

just doesnt want to look at anyone else, he immediately gets rid of it, pocket was there, many options but check-down Kenny not seeing it..

NFL network should play games using the all 22 camera angle. Junkies would eat the stuff up.

For the first 5 weeks Kenny was saying that anytime he had Pickens 1v1, he was going to trust him to make a play. So now that I’ve said that…

There was another play I remember (kinda). It might have been a 3rd down in the 4th quarter. The Steelers deployed trips to the bottom of the screen, Warren in the backfield, and one receiver at the top of the screen with man coverage and a single high safety in the middle of the field cheating in that direction a bit.

I assume the receiver up top in man coverage was Pickens. I mean if it wasn’t, that’s just stupidity. But Canada…so who knows.

The ball was snapped and the play went to Warren who I suppose was supposed to run behind the trips out in front. But the play never worked.

When the Steelers went up to the line, I thought maybe this was the chance to make a big play. Kenny could have looked the safety off and thrown a deep sideline ball to Pickens. Or, look the safety off and have Pickens run a slant over the middle because there was no one there.

In that look, the Browns had 6 guys at the line. Other than the safety the middle of the field was wide open. Why not keep Warren in to block and find Pickens downfield?

Whose fault is it?

I'd argue Curtis Martin, a HOFer, was better in the pros, but was still an asset to Pitt's team. Not a HOFer in college, correct? I know we've had some DBs that did relatively well in the pros that didn't stand out at the college level. I'm sure some have better specifics.

Well, we had Flacco.

Peterman has done reasonably well as an NFL journeyman but not starter material obviously. A few others that had their respective cups of tea in the League but nothing more. Savage, DiNucci, et al.
No we didn’t. Just stop.

Pickett has been a historically unproductive QB. He has a bottom five all time TD% for a QB with as many snaps as he has. If there was anything there, he'd show more than he has despite the bad circumstances. It's over. There's nothing to salvage here. There is no o line upgrade or OC change that is going to squeeze blood out of a rock. The Steelers offense has many problems. None are bigger than #8.
When Trubisky came in against Jacksonville it was like the run to SB 40 all over again. Pickett’s clearly the biggest problem, not the guy calling the plays or the OL that a high school team could break.

NFL network should play games using the all 22 camera angle. Junkies would eat the stuff up.

For the first 5 weeks Kenny was saying that anytime he had Pickens 1v1, he was going to trust him to make a play. So now that I’ve said that…

There was another play I remember (kinda). It might have been a 3rd down in the 4th quarter. The Steelers deployed trips to the bottom of the screen, Warren in the backfield, and one receiver at the top of the screen with man coverage and a single high safety in the middle of the field cheating in that direction a bit.

I assume the receiver up top in man coverage was Pickens. I mean if it wasn’t, that’s just stupidity. But Canada…so who knows.

The ball was snapped and the play went to Warren who I suppose was supposed to run behind the trips out in front. But the play never worked.

When the Steelers went up to the line, I thought maybe this was the chance to make a big play. Kenny could have looked the safety off and thrown a deep sideline ball to Pickens. Or, look the safety off and have Pickens run a slant over the middle because there was no one there.

In that look, the Browns had 6 guys at the line. Other than the safety the middle of the field was wide open. Why not keep Warren in to block and find Pickens downfield?

Whose fault is it?
I think you’re taking about this play ?

• Angry
Reactions: PittAU

Ha!!! That’s actually a different play. But thank you for sharing. Very similar though. But as I recall, (and it could be different camera angle), but in my play the trips were bunched at the bottom and Cleveland had 6 guys at the line of scrimmage.

So this answers my question. This stuff was happening more than we notice at home.

Ha!!! That’s actually a different play. But thank you for sharing. Very similar though. But as I recall, (and it could be different camera angle), but in my play the trips were bunched at the bottom and Cleveland had 6 guys at the line of scrimmage.

So this answers my question. This stuff was happening more than we notice at home.
If you’ll recall in the game thread I made the comment that he may want to stop callling the screen pass. So I guess he was listening and called a swing pass where the wrs didn’t block. LOl

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
If you’ll recall in the game thread I made the comment that he may want to stop callling the screen pass. So I guess he was listening and called a swing pass where the wrs didn’t block. LOl
It’s like I said. For weeks Kenny has talked about looking for GP when he’s single covered.

2 weeks ago GP lost his shit because he wasn’t targeted

Everyone talks about scheming receivers open, and it appears here and in the one that I referenced, that Canada did exactly that.

So why does the ball go to Warren in the back field both times?

I can’t remember if mine was a hitch, pitch or a handoff. But it was definitely a useless play to Warren when the entire field was even more wide open to get GP the ball.

Dorin said the other day that is a dumb talking point. Every single OC schemes up ways to get their WR's open. That is such an oxymoron statement.
Well, the former NFL guys I listen to on a daily basis think the trash can oc is a big part of the problem.

Sorry, I don't listen to local sports talk.

I'm willing to bet the reason Kenny throws the ball out to Warren is that he assumes he's going to get an ILB on Warren because it's man coverage. The problem I see with Kenny's decision is

#1 - You have to throw it to Pickens like Orlovsky said. That is such a money throw.

#2 - If you have off man in the secondary and you have routes being distributed instead of blocking, you just lost your man advantage to the trips side. That means you have to go through your progressions to the trips side. You've got off man which isn't much different then zone. There will be windows to throw the ball downfield if you allow it.

Who the hell knows. Maybe he or Canada guessed that they'd get tight man coverage and just swing it out to Warren.

It’s like I said. For weeks Kenny has talked about looking for GP when he’s single covered.

2 weeks ago GP lost his shit because he wasn’t targeted

Everyone talks about scheming receivers open, and it appears here and in the one that I referenced, that Canada did exactly that.

So why does the ball go to Warren in the back field both times?

I can’t remember if mine was a hitch, pitch or a handoff. But it was definitely a useless play to Warren when the entire field was even more wide open to get GP the ball.
In the play posted it would have made more sense for Pickens to the primary. He was one on one Or alternatively have Warren motion to Pickens side

Now is it possible that KP made the wrong pre snap read ?

Well, the former NFL guys I listen to on a daily basis think the trash can oc is a big part of the problem.

Sorry, I don't listen to local sports talk.
Look at the video referenced above. Canada literally schemes up Pickens and Kenny went somewhere else. I'm not saying Canada is by any means a good OC, but every single OC in the league "schemes up" ways to get players the ball.

I'm willing to bet the reason Kenny throws the ball out to Warren is that he assumes he's going to get an ILB on Warren because it's man coverage. The problem I see with Kenny's decision is

#1 - You have to throw it to Pickens like Orlovsky said. That is such a money throw.

#2 - If you have off man in the secondary and you have routes being distributed instead of blocking, you just lost your man advantage to the trips side. That means you have to go through your progressions to the trips side. You've got off man which isn't much different then zone. There will be windows to throw the ball downfield if you allow it.

Who the hell knows. Maybe he or Canada guessed that they'd get tight man coverage and just swing it out to Warren.
I’m no expert but KP didn’t even look Pickens way. He went to Warren immediately.

Now maybe the play called for KP to make a pre snap read and he clearly blew it because it was obvious that he had Pickens one on one

Like you said who knows

I’m no expert but KP didn’t even look Pickens way. He went to Warren immediately.

Now maybe the play called for KP to make a pre snap read and he clearly blew it because it was obvious that he had Pickens one on one

Like you said who knows
I’d add that while many have questioned KPs vision and pocket presence no one has questioned his football Iq. So it would be somewhat surprising if he missed an obvious Pte snap read

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
Look at the video referenced above. Canada literally schemes up Pickens and Kenny went somewhere else. I'm not saying Canada is by any means a good OC, but every single OC in the league "schemes up" ways to get players the ball.
I am looking at the overall "scheme". In the rare occasion a guy is open, everyone makes a big deal. I watch other teams we play and other games, and in those games I see receivers in much more open space than for our team. I understand every OC schemes to get the receiver open, but this trash can doesn't do a good enough

Reactions: pbrad
Kenny needs to stand talland scan the field. Step up instead of spinning left. Take off up the field once in a while.I’ve said it before - he has this weird lean in the pocket that he didn’t have in college. It makes him 2” shorter.

He’d probably take 4 sacks and throw 2 picks. But he also might throw for 250 and 3 TDs.

This defense gives up a lot of yards anyway. Their strength is red zone defense. Time to let Kenny sling it. If it’s a disaster, at least you gave it a shot.

Reactions: Burgh15 and Pitt79
I am looking at the overall "scheme". In the rare occasion a guy is open, everyone makes a big deal. I watch other teams we play and other games, and in those games I see receivers in much more open space than for our team. I understand every OC schemes to get the receiver open, but this trash can doesn't do a good enough
There is a lot of all 22 footage on Twitter. Guys were open a lot Sunday. I think that’s why the sentiment has turned the last couple weeks

(Canada is still not the guy for the job, but the last few weeks have been better. The team is running the ball well, and guys are running free in the secondary)

He’d probably take 4 sacks and throw 2 picks.
And that’s on tomlin who is living in his fears. The edict from tomlin is to play ultra conservative and avoid turning the ball
Over at all costs. His qb is just following what they want

"How bad has Pickett been in the context of the other quarterbacks in NFL history? With Pickett’s 22nd NFL start in the rearview mirror, let’s see where he ranks among the 265 quarterbacks to start 22 or more games dating back to 1950.*

Where Kenny Pickett ranks among NFL QBs in history

1.9% touchdown percentage (265th — Last)
9.9 passing yards per completion (t-264th)
6.2 pass yards per attempt (246th)
66.6% on-target pass percentage (59th among 61 qualifying QBs** since 2019)
44% air-yard success rate (87th among 117 qualifying QBs** since 2006)
27% of passing plays resulting in a first down (163rd among 177 qualifying QBs** since 1991)
13.8% touchdown drive percentage (124 among 148 qualifying QBs** since 2000)

*Qualifying QBs have a minimum of 22 starts, averaging 15 or more pass attempts per game"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT