ADVERTISEMENT

Monmouth Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** If one is to check the summary for tonight’s Pitt game with Monmouth, you’ll notice an announced crowd of 6,753.

** For those of us who were actually there, we can attest that this number was about 5,500 too many.

** Those of us who were there also deserve a greater hunk of credit for being among the few and the proud who were, and for witnessing something that was often very difficult to watch.

** Sitting directly behind me I believe, were none other than the curmudgeonly white haired pair of hecklers who brought their act from the balcony of the Muppet Show.

** It was too bad that from the opening tip, our Panthers could do little more than offer them plenty of material.

** Usually, I’m not quite a fan of such negativity. But as the Panthers piled up blunder after blunder, even my Son started getting into the act. And all that was left to do during the early part of this game was shake my head a laugh a little.

** I was never really concerned that the Panthers wouldn’t win this one though. But this was mostly because the Hawks were such an unformidable opponent.

** That, and I was pretty sure that it was almost impossible for Xavier Johnson to play as badly the rest of the game as he did for the first few minutes.

** Xavier still didn’t play all that well after he took an early and well deserved seat on the bench, but he was better. Add in some points from Trey and really nice battling efforts from Justin and AuDiese, and it was just enough for a completely unsatisfying win.

** So we’ll take any win, even a completely unsatisfying one. But this team really has a long way to go.

** Even in the second half when points weren’t quite as excruciatingly difficult to come by as they were in the first, I realized a few depressing things about our offense at the moment.

** First, I’m not sure that we executed a purposeful screen the entire evening. Over and over, we ran the high ball screen at the point of attack, and I really can’t recall one time it freed the ball handler or the screener.

** Second, I realized that more often than not, we really aren’t running an offense. Sure, our players are running around the offensive side of the court in a pre-prescribed pattern. But little about this pattern is leading to any offense. It’s really just running around.

** Third, there just isn’t enough passion from the Panthers on either end of the court.

** I’ll exempt Au’Diese from this particular criticism. Justin too. Both were in the heat of the battle in all of the minutes they played.

** I could probably exempt Trey from the lack of passion thought as well, but he simply needs to be more careful with the ball, and a little smarter with some of his shots.

** I don’t know what kind of passion the coaching staff is bringing either. But there’s little doubt they are struggling mightily.

** During the days of Howland and Dixon, Panther fans got pretty used to coaching style that really showed they had a plan. Perhaps you might have argued that it wasn’t always a very good plan, or even that they coached too rigidly to the plan.

** During those years, I even wondered if we would have been better off in the long run with a team that actually grew during the course of the year instead of always going according to a plan.

** After all, I recall a few Boeheim or Izzo teams that looked like they didn’t have much of a plan in November, only to end up more successful in March.

** So the lesson I’ll take from all of this to realize this season has only started. It hasn’t been promising start. In fact, it’s been downright discouraging.

** And at the moment, it doesn’t really look like Coach Capel has a plan. If he does, the players aren't yet on board.

** There’s little doubt that the Panthers aren’t loaded with talent. And the roster still has plenty of holes.

** But there’s also little doubt in my mind that they have enough talent to look and perform much better than they have in our last four games.

** For most of the last ten days, most of the Panther Lair has started to stumble over itself to be the first to document how bad the Panthers already are, not to mention how bad than this season will end up.

** Allow me to confess that I haven’t really disagreed with any of the ideas put forth. But five games into the season, I personally see little virtue in pilling on. At least not yet, anyway.

** But the Panthers better start showing some improvement soon. This goes for the coaching staff too. If they don't, later this year, it might only be me, my Son, and my two heckling Muppet friends at the games. Even if the crowd is still announced at 5,736.

** If one is to check the summary for tonight’s Pitt game with Monmouth, you’ll notice an announced crowd of 6,753.

** For those of us who were actually there, we can attest that this number was about 5,500 too many.

That was a Stallings-esque crowd there tonight. For anyone who doesn't think that Pitt announces attendance numbers divorced from reality, tonight is all the evidence anyone should need.

It is entirely possible that there will be more people at the soccer game on Thursday than were there tonight, and indeed that there will be more people at the soccer game on Thursday than at the Thursday basketball game.

Oh, and it's Statler and Waldorf. They would have just loved that first half tonight.

Glad you're back posting DT. I probably felt a little more positive than you
while watching our 2nd half. However I'm not so positive that I believe all
of our problems are now resolved.
If Brown were going to make a turn around I thought it might be against a
team like Monmouth.....well, I guess not. I'm seeing the same ole same
ole from him. At least we have a few other bigs, but they ain't that much
either (Coulibaly will get there in time IMO). I would like to see Capel give
a try at two bigs on the floor at once. Even if it's just to experiment and
see what happens.
The main thing I'm taking from this performance tonight is a big hope
that X has turned a corner and might be back to the player we all
think he should be.

** Those of us who were there also deserve a greater hunk of credit for being among the few and the proud who were, and for witnessing something that was often very difficult to watch.

** Sitting directly behind me I believe, were none other than the curmudgeonly white haired pair of hecklers who brought their act from the balcony of the Muppet Show.

** It was too bad that from the opening tip, our Panthers could do little more than offer them plenty of material.

** Usually, I’m not quite a fan of such negativity. But as the Panthers piled up blunder after blunder, even my Son started getting into the act. And all that was left to do during the early part of this game was shake my head a laugh a little.

** I was never really concerned that the Panthers wouldn’t win this one though. But this was mostly because the Hawks were such an unformidable opponent.

** That, and I was pretty sure that it was almost impossible for Xavier Johnson to play as badly the rest of the game as he did for the first few minutes.

** Xavier still didn’t play all that well after he took an early and well deserved seat on the bench, but he was better. Add in some points from Trey and really nice battling efforts from Justin and AuDiese, and it was just enough for a completely unsatisfying win.

** So we’ll take any win, even a completely unsatisfying one. But this team really has a long way to go.

** Even in the second half when points weren’t quite as excruciatingly difficult to come by as they were in the first, I realized a few depressing things about our offense at the moment.

** First, I’m not sure that we executed a purposeful screen the entire evening. Over and over, we ran the high ball screen at the point of attack, and I really can’t recall one time it freed the ball handler or the screener.

** Second, I realized that more often than not, we really aren’t running an offense. Sure, our players are running around the offensive side of the court in a pre-prescribed pattern. But little about this pattern is leading to any offense. It’s really just running around.

** Third, there just isn’t enough passion from the Panthers on either end of the court.

** I’ll exempt Au’Diese from this particular criticism. Justin too. Both were in the heat of the battle in all of the minutes they played.

** I could probably exempt Trey from the lack of passion thought as well, but he simply needs to be more careful with the ball, and a little smarter with some of his shots.

** I don’t know what kind of passion the coaching staff is bringing either. But there’s little doubt they are struggling mightily.

** During the days of Howland and Dixon, Panther fans got pretty used to coaching style that really showed they had a plan. Perhaps you might have argued that it wasn’t always a very good plan, or even that they coached too rigidly to the plan.

** During those years, I even wondered if we would have been better off in the long run with a team that actually grew during the course of the year instead of always going according to a plan.

** After all, I recall a few Boeheim or Izzo teams that looked like they didn’t have much of a plan in November, only to end up more successful in March.

** So the lesson I’ll take from all of this to realize this season has only started. It hasn’t been promising start. In fact, it’s been downright discouraging.

** And at the moment, it doesn’t really look like Coach Capel has a plan. If he does, the players aren't yet on board.

** There’s little doubt that the Panthers aren’t loaded with talent. And the roster still has plenty of holes.

** But there’s also little doubt in my mind that they have enough talent to look and perform much better than they have in our last four games.

** For most of the last ten days, most of the Panther Lair has started to stumble over itself to be the first to document how bad the Panthers already are, not to mention how bad than this season will end up.

** Allow me to confess that I haven’t really disagreed with any of the ideas put forth. But five games into the season, I personally see little virtue in pilling on. At least not yet, anyway.

** But the Panthers better start showing some improvement soon. This goes for the coaching staff too. If they don't, later this year, it might only be me, my Son, and my two heckling Muppet friends at the games. Even if the crowd is still announced at 5,736.

I haven't given up on the team. If you can beat FSU, it is in there. But...

Johnson has to be at least the Johnson of last season.

I don't quite understand how Hamilton starts and Coulibaly doesn't play, but now we have Coulibaly getting more minutes than Hamilton.

I don't understand how Drumgoole starts, and is so bad.

I don't understand what we don't need to run offense, we need to play offense means.

Hopefully, we develop an identity and things come together soon. Like I said, if you can beat FSU you have to have something to work with.

Glad you're back posting DT. I probably felt a little more positive than you
while watching our 2nd half. However I'm not so positive that I believe all
of our problems are now resolved.
If Brown were going to make a turn around I thought it might be against a
team like Monmouth.....well, I guess not. I'm seeing the same ole same
ole from him. At least we have a few other bigs, but they ain't that much
either (Coulibaly will get there in time IMO). I would like to see Capel give
a try at two bigs on the floor at once. Even if it's just to experiment and
see what happens.
The main thing I'm taking from this performance tonight is a big hope
that X has turned a corner and might be back to the player we all
think he should be.

I try to be as big of Brown supporter as one can, but dammit, if he doesn't get his arms on the defensive end, I'm going to scream. Monmouth got off at least five shots over him that they wouldn't have been able to if he didn't need time to raise his arms.

That was a Stallings-esque crowd there tonight. For anyone who doesn't think that Pitt announces attendance numbers divorced from reality, tonight is all the evidence anyone should need.

It is entirely possible that there will be more people at the soccer game on Thursday than were there tonight, and indeed that there will be more people at the soccer game on Thursday than at the Thursday basketball game.

Oh, and it's Statler and Waldorf. They would have just loved that first half tonight.

There were less folks at the final ACC home game of the 0-18 year (Wake Forest) but that might have been the only game that was less.

I don't understand what we don't need to run offense, we need to play offense means.

Well I don't understand what the hell that sentence means...translation please!

I'm just kidding ya, maybe it's clear, but I don't get it. Hell you must have had a
few too many beers tonight. Can't say as I blame you after watching tonight's
game. LOL.

Definitely not as negative as you about that whole game.
We have glaring holes no doubt.
But I thought they showed actual good team chemistry in the 2nd half.
And X played great in the 2nd half.
A couple 3s, zero turnovers, ended with 9 assists and strong drives.
I saw a team in the 2nd half.
Something to build on and obviously tons of to work on.

Reactions: Chescat
Well I don't understand what the hell that sentence means...translation please!

I'm just kidding ya, maybe it's clear, but I don't get it. Hell you must have had a
few too many beers tonight. Can't say as I blame you after watching tonight's
game. LOL.
That statement was from Coach Capel. It was all over the radio today. I thought maybe he had too many beers before he said it.

The last ten days of posts made as much sense as bubble talk after a supposed five point loss to MD in a controlled scrimmage.

With regard to Capel's in game or overall coaching ability, just like the other posts it is a little premature to fairly evaluate a coach's ability at this point at Pitt. I agree that unlike Dixon , Capel wants the players to work things out. Head in hands rather than using multiple timeouts to stem the tide. I'd rather debate this strategy or using two bigs or press or double teams, than reading a post from a guy who wants to be the first to claim he told us so in November that Capel can't coach his way out of a paper bag.

As far as offensive strategy, this team has three guys whose best offense is to attack the rim. Unlike at Duke where the offense is so often built on shooters, I expect to see Capel go to more ball movement, better screens ( note we have been called for less moving picks than in the past) and modest outside shooting.

Nobody mentioned Murphy going 0for. Why does he get a pass?

That statement was from Coach Capel. It was all over the radio today. I thought maybe he had too many beers before he said it.

Well if that's the case...there ya go. There's the reason for our messed
up play we're seeing so far. LOL

With 4 minutes to go the score was 53-44, I said to my wife, "despite how badly Pitt has played, they cannot possibly lose this game, because even if they fail to score another point, Monmouth can't score 10 points in 4 minutes".

Reactions: Drew1208
I haven't given up on the team. If you can beat FSU, it is in there. But...

Johnson has to be at least the Johnson of last season.

I don't quite understand how Hamilton starts and Coulibaly doesn't play, but now we have Coulibaly getting more minutes than Hamilton.

I don't understand how Drumgoole starts, and is so bad.

Hopefully, we develop an identity and things come together soon. Like I said, if you can beat FSU you have to have something to work with.
@InfoManiac has a great post explaining the offense HCJC is trying to set up. There are no "plays" for the most part, it is about setting up rules for where players are supposed to be on the court to create space and avoid double teams.
Went to "running" more plays in the second half.

Reactions: TreesHero and gary2
Boy, 2nd half WVU and first half Monmouth were some of the worst basketball from pitt in along time. We as a team are whatever X is. When he is sloppy, out of control, careless with the ball, and low IQ play, the entire team becomes that. They talked about him being a late second rounder. But I see a player who needs a lot of work if he wants to lead as a point guard.
Some games the shots don’t fall. But in our case, there is zero offense and little evidence of an offensive plan. I think it was described above as just running around and that’s what it looks like. Very predictable unfortunately, and last night was very Stallings like basketball. I guess his stench still lingers a bit.

This team desperately needs leadership and smart play by those currently designated leaders. What happened to the team that beat a good FSU team?

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I’m my original post, I made just about the same comment as Capel.

We simply can't have a guy who starts and plays 35 minutes score 2 points (on foul shots in the last minute of the game) with 2 rebounds and 0 assists. He's not nearly good enough defensively to play like that on offense and still deserve to be out there for that much time, or even close to it.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Well said...but the biggest n is that the coaches don’t have a plan or offense for the talent they have..it’s playgound ball at its finest

As far as comments, as fans, we can only comment on what we have seen. And what we have seen so far, is well, not good. In fact, so bad, it is hard to have faith and project. But seeing X in the 2nd half, with Toney and Champagnie, there was some glimmer, but still it was Monmouth.

Again, I am not trying to pile on, I am just stunned......I don't know what happens. Guys improve from year 1 to year 2. At least most. So far, no one has. It's early. Maybe it is partly confidence. I thought maybe the Nicholls State game could have been a good thing, a kick in the ass, but maybe it was the opposite.

We are just a really poor shooting team, which is why I would like to see us get much more aggressive, and press and try to get more transition buckets. We saw WVU do that a few years ago when Huggins realized he did not have a team of good shooters, so he pressed all over the place. I am just not sure we are deep enough to do this for 40 minutes, consistently.

Like I said, X has left me speechless and the photo I posted with Capel having his head in his hands is the way I feel watching this team.

It's early. Hopefully we are playing our best basketball when the calendar says 2020.

The last ten days of posts made as much sense as bubble talk after a supposed five point loss to MD in a controlled scrimmage.

With regard to Capel's in game or overall coaching ability, just like the other posts it is a little premature to fairly evaluate a coach's ability at this point at Pitt. I agree that unlike Dixon , Capel wants the players to work things out. Head in hands rather than using multiple timeouts to stem the tide. I'd rather debate this strategy or using two bigs or press or double teams, than reading a post from a guy who wants to be the first to claim he told us so in November that Capel can't coach his way out of a paper bag.

As far as offensive strategy, this team has three guys whose best offense is to attack the rim. Unlike at Duke where the offense is so often built on shooters, I expect to see Capel go to more ball movement, better screens ( note we have been called for less moving picks than in the past) and modest outside shooting.

Don't know about the 1st half (gratefully missed it) but on TV I never saw him open in the 2nd--covered like a blanket most of the time.

You are correct in your assessment of Pitt's offense. Its painful to watch. They score about 0 points from their offense. Their points come if Trey or Johnson make 1 on 1 plays, which arent really the result of running good offense. Basically, if you can prevent fouling Johnson and McGowens, this team cant score.

The one glimmer of hope is what you mentioned about teams improving. No Dixon team improved throughout the year because his system had the team playing at maximum capacity from Day 1. There simply eas no room to improve but we have seen countless team look like complete sh!t early then look up later in the season and they look completely different. They improved. That's our only hope at this point. This team looks so bad, every bit as bad as 0-19 but maybe we will improve a great deal.

They looked like the team of last year in the second half last night. The schedule this year didn't do them any favors but they are about where they should be at 3-2. Hopefully between last night and Thursday they can work some things out and get their confidence back. Some bright spots this year so far:

Trey is shooting 41% from 3 (17 attempts) and has looked good shooting it
Murphy is shooting 37.5% from 3 (24 attempts) will most likely head back to the bench next game or game against KSU and resume his instant offense role similar to JWF.
X as bad as he has been is shooting 38.5% from 3 (13 attempts) and had 7 assists and zero Turnovers in the second half last night and looked like himself for the first time this year.

Defense has been solid so far despite the lack of offense.

Hoping the next game can help restore their confidence more and they can continue to build that next week in Florida.

@InfoManiac has a great post explaining the offense HCJC is trying to set up. There are no "plays" for the most part, it is about setting up rules for where players are supposed to be on the court to create space and avoid double teams.
I thought the second half looked different

What we are seeing is not a Stallings hangover, but yes Stallings motion offense and Capel's scheme are similar in that they require the players to identify how the opponent is defending let's say the high ball screen, the players then choose an option (1) deny the screen (2) drive or (3) feed the pick and roll.

"Low basketball IQ" and "street ball" are pejorative terms, I know they are not thrown around in this space with a racially insensitive intent. I think Capel's goal is to rely upon the basketball IQ of his players. X and Trey do not aimlessly drive the lane, but it is their read of the defense that dictates they do this. A drive is likely Capel's #1 option, given the personnel. Remember Trey running the same drive off the same set at least six times against RMU to win the game. With a step up in opponent talent, like last year, Pitt's execution will have to improve after all that is what the early season is for. It took Pitt players a few years to learn the Ameoba Defense, but when they did opponents could not beat it. These kids will make mistakes but I do not read selfishness or NBA showcase as the motivations, just inexperience.

Not sure why Murphy wasn’t getting ball in the corner. He was open, waving his hands and X keeps driving, trying to make difficult shots and won’t kick the ball out. Frustrating to watch.

What we are seeing is not a Stallings hangover, but yes Stallings motion offense and Capel's scheme are similar in that they require the players to identify how the opponent is defending let's say the high ball screen, the players then choose an option (1) deny the screen (2) drive or (3) feed the pick and roll.

"Low basketball IQ" and "street ball" are pejorative terms, I know they are not thrown around in this space with a racially insensitive intent. I think Capel's goal is to rely upon the basketball IQ of his players. X and Trey do not aimlessly drive the lane, but it is their read of the defense that dictates they do this. A drive is likely Capel's #1 option, given the personnel. Remember Trey running the same drive off the same set at least six times against RMU to win the game. With a step up in opponent talent, like last year, Pitt's execution will have to improve after all that is what the early season is for. It took Pitt players a few years to learn the Ameoba Defense, but when they did opponents could not beat it. These kids will make mistakes but I do not read selfishness or NBA showcase as the motivations, just inexperience.
Great post.
HCJC played HIGH level college ball, and he knows what kids want, too. To me, he is trying to set up the system that he would want to play in a player, and appeal to talented, tough kids to come to Pitt to play for him.
People just want something different if what is happening is not clicking, but gotta believe this team, with his overall lack of experience and lack of depth of talent would struggle with ANY "system."

6753 ? Even Trump would be embarrassed to inflate a crowd size that much.

(just a joke, not political commentary)

Statler and Waldorf ? Was Jim Henson a golf fan ? Maybe not, I think Craig's name is spelled Stadler.

Great post.
HCJC played HIGH level college ball, and he knows what kids want, too. To me, he is trying to set up the system that he would want to play in a player, and appeal to talented, tough kids to come to Pitt to play for him.
People just want something different if what is happening is not clicking, but gotta believe this team, with his overall lack of experience and lack of depth of talent would struggle with ANY "system."
I understand wanting to install your style of play, but as you have posted in this thread, we did look better in the second half running not playing offense.

We can't be too stubborn to deviate from preferred style of play when we are experiencing spells like we have against Nichols, RMU and Monmouth.

Losing or even playing poorly in those games, I feel is more detrimental than a momentary departure from desired style of play.

6753 ? Even Trump would be embarrassed to inflate a crowd size that much.

(just a joke, not political commentary)

Statler and Waldorf ? Was Jim Henson a golf fan ? Maybe not, I think Craig's name is spelled Stadler.

I mean that assumes that 90% of the lower bowl was full because I don't think anyone was in the upper deck.

Remember when people use to complain about Dixon's teams peaking too early and fizzling out in March, and that they would rather see a team struggle early and keep improving ? Me neither.:)

That does test a fan's patience, though. And it may or may not happen.

As far as comments, as fans, we can only comment on what we have seen. And what we have seen so far, is well, not good. In fact, so bad, it is hard to have faith and project. But seeing X in the 2nd half, with Toney and Champagnie, there was some glimmer, but still it was Monmouth.

Again, I am not trying to pile on, I am just stunned......I don't know what happens. Guys improve from year 1 to year 2. At least most. So far, no one has. It's early. Maybe it is partly confidence. I thought maybe the Nicholls State game could have been a good thing, a kick in the ass, but maybe it was the opposite.

We are just a really poor shooting team, which is why I would like to see us get much more aggressive, and press and try to get more transition buckets. We saw WVU do that a few years ago when Huggins realized he did not have a team of good shooters, so he pressed all over the place. I am just not sure we are deep enough to do this for 40 minutes, consistently.

Like I said, X has left me speechless and the photo I posted with Capel having his head in his hands is the way I feel watching this team.

It's early. Hopefully we are playing our best basketball when the calendar says 2020.
You say " so far, no one has" (improved). If you base your opinions on stats, your comment is not valid. McGowens per game averages and shooting percentages are a lot better than last year.

Last edited:
Remember when people use to complain about Dixon's teams peaking too early and fizzling out in March, and that they would rather see a team struggle early and keep improving ? Me neither.:)

That does test a fan's patience, though. And it may or may not happen.

I remember complaining that his teams never improved throughout the season but I knew and said that was because they couldn't. They always performed at maximum capacity so they won more regular season games than they should have. It is possible that Capel's Pitt team could massively improve throughout the year because right now they are playing worse than last year and everyone will agree this team should be better than last year's

I understand wanting to install your style of play, but as you have posted in this thread, we did look better in the second half running not playing offense.

We can't be too stubborn to deviate from preferred style of play when we are experiencing spells like we have against Nichols, RMU and Monmouth.

Losing or even playing poorly in those games, I feel is more detrimental than a momentary departure from desired style of play.
Fine line.
He did adapt the second half last night after clearly wanting to have the lights come on with the offense he wants to run.
Gotta see how the rest of the OCS plays out.
Just hate this OCS schedule - too choppy, not designed to build a team up, or like JD did with it, load it up with cupcakes who helped with the tourny math.

Reactions: gary2

DT, did you do the metric conversion?

Fine line.
He did adapt the second half last night after clearly wanting to have the lights come on with the offense he wants to run.
Gotta see how the rest of the OCS plays out.
Just hate this OCS schedule - too choppy, not designed to build a team up, or like JD did with it, load it up with cupcakes who helped with the tourny math.
Fair enough

Reactions: Jeffburgh
There were less folks at the final ACC home game of the 0-18 year (Wake Forest) but that might have been the only game that was less.
DT,
I know you have done some coaching. What would you try running offensively with our current players and inability to set and use screens, low post player. And with maybe 2 reliable shooters?

I honestly can’t think of anything. Except just teaching screening and use continuous motion or Horns. Dribble Drive won’t work with our current players. 4 out can’t work without the shooters and the inexperience of our players to make decisions during a play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT