ADVERTISEMENT

Monmouth Game & Other Dribbles ...

As far as comments, as fans, we can only comment on what we have seen. And what we have seen so far, is well, not good. In fact, so bad, it is hard to have faith and project. But seeing X in the 2nd half, with Toney and Champagnie, there was some glimmer, but still it was Monmouth.

Again, I am not trying to pile on, I am just stunned......I don't know what happens. Guys improve from year 1 to year 2. At least most. So far, no one has. It's early. Maybe it is partly confidence. I thought maybe the Nicholls State game could have been a good thing, a kick in the ass, but maybe it was the opposite.

We are just a really poor shooting team, which is why I would like to see us get much more aggressive, and press and try to get more transition buckets. We saw WVU do that a few years ago when Huggins realized he did not have a team of good shooters, so he pressed all over the place. I am just not sure we are deep enough to do this for 40 minutes, consistently.

Like I said, X has left me speechless and the photo I posted with Capel having his head in his hands is the way I feel watching this team.

It's early. Hopefully we are playing our best basketball when the calendar says 2020.
Losing JWF as a shooter and leader that seemed to be a calming force and could hit shots at critical times was a huge blow.

Reactions: Pittguy93
Losing JWF as a shooter and leader that seemed to be a calming force and could hit shots at critical times was a huge blow.
I agree that losing him has been a factor. I thought that could lead to us taking a step back before taking two forward. Seems to be the case at this juncture.

Reactions: rockypanther
I agree that losing him has been a factor. I thought that could lead to us taking a step back before taking two forward. Seems to be the case at this juncture.

I like JWF but he's not even a G-league player, nor is he a top-level European league player.

I like JWF but he's not even a G-league player, nor is he a top-level European league player.
What does that have to do with him being a senior leader on the team last year and a guy that could knock down 3's and outside shots for us with consistency. Most of our Pitt 'stars' from the Howland/Dixon years weren't G league or top level European league players but were damn good for us.

Shoot good, look good.
Shoot bad, look bad.
Between second half of WVU and first half of Monmouth I am not sure Pitt made more than 10 FGs. The second half was markedly better, but still...
I still see too much dribbling from X. The times they got good looks and shots went down had a lot more ball movement. I'd like to think the second half was progress towards what they can be, but I think they still have a way to go.

Shoot good, look good.
Shoot bad, look bad.
Between second half of WVU and first half of Monmouth I am not sure Pitt made more than 10 FGs. The second half was markedly better, but still...
I still see too much dribbling from X. The times they got good looks and shots went down had a lot more ball movement. I'd like to think the second half was progress towards what they can be, but I think they still have a way to go.
You will shoot better because you are getting better shots if the ball is moving, including ball reversal.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
You will shoot better because you are getting better shots if the ball is moving, including ball reversal.
We have sophomore leadership and not senior leadership so it is literally half as good as it should be. A program such as during the Howland Dixon years was built on senior leadership.

I miss the days when the starters would slap the hands going down the scorers bench, wipe their feet on the sticky mat and then head on to the center jump. It's a little thing but they did it for years and years.

I remember complaining that his teams never improved throughout the season but I knew and said that was because they couldn't. They always performed at maximum capacity so they won more regular season games than they should have. It is possible that Capel's Pitt team could massively improve throughout the year because right now they are playing worse than last year and everyone will agree this team should be better than last year's

The difference is this team has nothing to play for in March. Capel can't afford to pile up November losses. At some point, teaching a lesson is less valuable than winning a game.

The "roll the ball out" coaches are fine when you have enough talent to actually win. If you have inferior talent, you better have superior strategy.

We simply can't have a guy who starts and plays 35 minutes score 2 points (on foul shots in the last minute of the game) with 2 rebounds and 0 assists. He's not nearly good enough defensively to play like that on offense and still deserve to be out there for that much time, or even close to it.

He's a shooter. The downside is, he's not good enough as a player
to be able to get himself open to get his shot off when he's closely
guarded.
Last night I saw him involved in the weave offensively; this is ok,
but he wasn't able to get anything off of it. That kind of talent just
isn't there for him.
He is a good "spot up" type of shooter with great range, but once the
opposition knows that's your game, it's easy to keep you out of it.
Great players have other things in their game to go to. So far I don't
see this in his game. To his credit, last night a few of his threes
were in and out.
I also like his hustle, and despite everything I said, he can shoot off
the dribble. He is who he is...IMO an average Div 1 player with a
great shooting touch who gives us 100% effort.
I'm glad we have him.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
What does that have to do with him being a senior leader on the team last year and a guy that could knock down 3's and outside shots for us with consistency. Most of our Pitt 'stars' from the Howland/Dixon years weren't G league or top level European league players but were damn good for us.
He wasn’t a leader
Considering Pitt won 4 acc games in 2 years with him in the starting lineup

he couldn’t defend me- and his 3 point shooting could best be described as above average

He wasn’t a leader
Considering Pitt won 4 acc games in 2 years with him in the starting lineup

he couldn’t defend me- and his 3 point shooting could best be described as above average
He was a leader. He had nobody else worth a grain of salt that played with him other than maybe Parker down the stretch. He was a good player for us.

Reactions: Pittguy93
He's a shooter. The downside is, he's not good enough as a player
to be able to get himself open to get his shot off when he's closely
guarded.
Last night I saw him involved in the weave offensively; this is ok,
but he wasn't able to get anything off of it. That kind of talent just
isn't there for him.
He is a good "spot up" type of shooter with great range, but once the
opposition knows that's your game, it's easy to keep you out of it.
Great players have other things in their game to go to. So far I don't
see this in his game. To his credit, last night a few of his threes
were in and out.
I also like his hustle, and despite everything I said, he can shoot off
the dribble. He is who he is...IMO an average Div 1 player with a
great shooting touch who gives us 100% effort.
I'm glad we have him.
I think he had been near our best player. One bad game and some go sour on him - tough crowd

I think he had been near our best player. One bad game and some go sour on him - tough crowd

Re read it. It's a realistic opinion of him as a basketball player as I see it.
Following a critique of some of his shortcomings I ended with:
I like his hustle....he can shoot off the dribble...IMO an average Div 1
player with a great shooting touch who gives us 100% effort.
I'm glad we have him.

Since you quoted me, does what I just took out of my assessment sound
like I went "sour on him?" You probably noticed it also included an IMO
(as do most of my posts)....that's all it is..an opinion, nothing more.

Re read it. It's a realistic opinion of him as a basketball player as I see it.
Following a critique of some of his shortcomings I ended with:
I like his hustle....he can shoot off the dribble...IMO an average Div 1
player with a great shooting touch who gives us 100% effort.
I'm glad we have him.

Since you quoted me, does what I just took out of my assessment sound
like I went "sour on him?" You probably noticed it also included an IMO
(as do most of my posts)....that's all it is..an opinion, nothing more.
Did not mean you - Joe the Panther Fan

Reactions: Chescat
Thanks for the clarity.
No problem on your end - my fault - my reply was to you, not a surprise you thought it was directed to you.

Do you agree with me that Joe's comments were quite over the top?

No problem on your end - my fault - my reply was to you, not a surprise you thought it was directed to you.

Do you agree with me that Joe's comments were quite over the top?

I think it's better if you and Joe discuss that.

He wasn't good last night. He was a non-entity against West Virginia (which, to be fair to him, describes just about everyone that night). And he wasn't anything more than average against Robert Morris. Let's not let the fact that he lit up Nicholls State carry too much weight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT