ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Oats shot at Coach K

Tell me why games should be cancelled right now? Yes, the virus is running strong, but to date, only 12% of the scheduled games have been cancelled. And how many of those infected players have had major complications from the virus if they got it? I have not heard of one in college basketball. There has been 1 NFL player who has missed the remainder of this year due to Covid, but they expect him to be back next year. And the local kid was the only college player I have heard of who has died and it wasn't due to him playing football. So we should cancel or postpone games because some people are getting sick? Many, many more people die each day from car accidents. Should we stop driving cars for the next few months?
I don't really have an opinion nor care if they pause the NCAA BB season, but Covid deaths are not less than deaths from MVA. The NHTSA from the US reports about 100 deaths in the USA per day from MVA. That comes out to around 36,000 deaths per year. Covid deaths are over 300,000 for the US, and that is only since March 2020.
If MVA deaths were up to over 300,000 per year, there would be a crisis level response trying to figure out what was happening causing the carnage on the roads.

Reactions: CougarClaws
Can you please post the link which states how many young people have been killed due to the lockdown?

Here's one:

Nate Oats of Alabama went at Coach K. They say he's now a dead man walking....lol 😂🤣

Coach K has decided to no longer play anymore non-conf games this season.

why? u cant disagree with coach k, did u hear his entire comment, i do not think coach k wants to not play cause he lost 2 games, i dont think no one thinks that but oats, im sure he does not want to play cause he fears the virus, but oats is allowed to say he thinks kids should be playing for the reasons he gave. this is not main stream media where we have to think exactly like cnn, msnbc, nbc, the view and everything else on tv tells us.

I don't really have an opinion nor care if they pause the NCAA BB season, but Covid deaths are not less than deaths from MVA. The NHTSA from the US reports about 100 deaths in the USA per day from MVA. That comes out to around 36,000 deaths per year. Covid deaths are over 300,000 for the US, and that is only since March 2020.
If MVA deaths were up to over 300,000 per year, there would be a crisis level response trying to figure out what was happening causing the carnage on the roads.

Yes you are right. Many more have died from Covid since the pandemic began than in MVAs. However, it is also true that for persons under 35 years of age— all college basketball players— the death risk from MVAs is greater than that from Covid. Covid confines the vast majority of its killing to persons who are elderly and/or have serious underlying health conditions—in fact, about 100,000 (40%) of the first 250,000 deaths attributed to Covid were to residents of old age facilities. We obviously have a moral obligation to protect such at-risk people.

So, IMHO, if a decision is made to not play college hoops it should be made on the basis that playing the games is contributing sufficiently to spreading Covid to the at-risk segment of the population to a concerning degree and not on the pretext that it is to protect the players. Empty arenas, wearing masks on the benches and maintaining quarantine protocols would appear sufficient to preclude the players spreading Covid to any meaningful degree to the at-risk population.

Lots of elite coaches are asses. Why does anyone go play for any of them?

Oh, yeah, that's right. The chance to win championships and to get drafted high by the NBA and make truckloads of money.
If you have your pick of any college, then you can pick and choose who you play for or just play overseas and get paid like Ball did.

Here's one:

Why did you link an article about Japanes suicides. We dont live there. Are we finally finishing that Gonzaga game. We're up 2, right?

If you have your pick of any college, then you can pick and choose who you play for or just play overseas and get paid like Ball did.

Absolutely. And lots of those kids want to win a championship and go somewhere with a long term history of getting guys paid. Is it really that hard to understand?

Why did you link an article about Japanes suicides. We dont live there. Are we finally finishing that Gonzaga game. We're up 2, right?

Can you read?

"We didn't even have a lockdown, and the impact of Covid is very minimal compared to other countries ... but still we see this big increase in the number of suicides," said Michiko Ueda, an associate professor at Waseda University in Tokyo, and an expert on suicides.
"That suggests other countries might see a similar or even bigger increase in the number of suicides in the future."

I mean he was asked about coach K’s comments he didn’t bring it up.

Just because K used to be a very good basketball coach doesn’t make him a genius on when and where kids should play basketball in the middle of a pandemic. If he was 4-0 he would have absolutely no problem playing. He’s a sanctimonious shit
Look I'm not fan of Coach K I've heard about some of his arrogance but I'm just saying Oates hasn't did anything and I think he should've shown more class IMO. I get you may not agree but IJS.

But he was talking about YOUNG people....who don't seem to be dying at all from Covid. If 95% of the deaths are 70+, only a very small % are under 25. Certainly less than 36K.

But he was talking about YOUNG people....who don't seem to be dying at all from Covid. If 95% of the deaths are 70+, only a very small % are under 25. Certainly less than 36K.

Yes. Under age 36 you are more likely to die in an MVA than from Covid. That is of course not true for the entire population which encompasses all age groups. For the population taken as a whole Covid is far more deadly than MVAs. But when gauging concern about the risk of Covid from playing college hoops, the data for the young is the relevant data, not the overall population data.

Yes. Under age 36 you are more likely to die in an MVA than from Covid. That is of course not true for the entire population which encompasses all age groups. For the population taken as a whole Covid is far more deadly than MVAs. But when gauging concern about the risk of Covid from playing college hoops, the data for the young is the relevant data, not the overall population data.
Who they spread it to is
And the long term morbidity associated is
You should have learned by now to stfu on the topic as you’ve been loud wrong for 9 months

Stick with your lane - parsing early kenpom data bizarrely

Coach K pulled the fire alarm to get out of taking the test.
Maybe he should give back part of his salary too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT