ADVERTISEMENT

Once and for all: We will take the best big available

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
I like Fede and GDG but lets cut out this non-sense. If we can get a big-time big, we will take him. And he'd start over Fede or alongside him. Our rebounding was terrible last season. And we didnt get much scoring out of the 5. We are looking for the best big we can get, the best shooter we can get, and the overall best player we can get. Those are our 3 transfers.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I like Fede and GDG but lets cut out this non-sense. If we can get a big-time big, we will take him. And he'd start over Fede or alongside him. Our rebounding was terrible last season. And we didnt get much scoring out of the 5. We are looking for the best big we can get, the best shooter we can get, and the overall best player we can get. Those are our 3 transfers.
Who are you talking about in particular?

The top bigs available arent coming to pitt. The next wave of bigs arent better than hugley. whatever big pitt gets is likely going to be the 3rd string center. In the last 2 games gdg averaged 10 pts 8 rebs and 3 blks. In acc play fede averaged 10 pts 8.5 rebs and 2.7 blocks. The “rebounding issue” isnt because of gdg and fede. The issue was the guards and hinson not rebounding well.

Who are you talking about in particular?

Nobody. I mean there is this idea that because we have Fede and GDG that we wont go after a big that is better. Of course, a starter-caliber Center is going to cost 50K-100K and I dont think Pitt wants to be involved in pay for play NIL but if they do, we will try to get someone better than Fede or GDG if we can. We need a rebounder.

The top bigs available arent coming to pitt. The next wave of bigs arent better than hugley. whatever big pitt gets is likely going to be the 3rd string center. In the last 2 games gdg averaged 10 pts 8 rebs and 3 blks. In acc play fede averaged 10 pts 8.5 rebs and 2.7 blocks. The “rebounding issue” isnt because of gdg and fede. The issue was the guards and hinson not rebounding well.

I don't know what stats you are looking at, but Fede's ACC stats are as follows right off Pitt's website for the 20 game ACC regular season schedule.

7.1 ppg
6 rpg
1.9 blocks per game

The biggest problem with this is, Fede's DR rebound rate was 13.5 for the entire season. That is bad for a center any way you want to slice it. In comparison, Hinson's DR rebound rate was 16. For Hinson, this would be considered barely to slightly above average for a power forward. For Diaz Graham, he was 17.2 for the entire year which is ok for a center. Its neither bad or good, but it is far better than Fede on the defensive side of the basketball.

The 2 worst defensive rebounders on our team by position were Nelly Cummings and Fede. Replacing Cummings with Dior is going to be a pretty substantial difference on the glass, and the word substantial might still be an understatement. Dior wants to rebound because he loves pushing the fast break offense off of those rebounds. Cummings defensive rebounding was non existent the last 7 games of the season.

Getting back to Fede, in his last 10 games of the season, he had a DR defensive rebound rate over 10 only 3 times in 10 games. That is painfully bad for a center whether you want to bring up the injury issue or not. He had a DR rebound rate of 8 or under in 5 of those games, which is Nelly Cummings level bad at rebounding and was one of the main drivers of why this team was getting crushed on the glass.

I don't know what stats you are looking at, but Fede's ACC stats are as follows right off Pitt's website for the 20 game ACC regular season schedule.

7.1 ppg
6 rpg
1.9 blocks per game

The biggest problem with this is, Fede's DR rebound rate was 13.5 for the entire season. That is bad for a center any way you want to slice it. In comparison, Hinson's DR rebound rate was 16. For Hinson, this would be considered barely to slightly above average for a power forward. For Diaz Graham, he was 17.2 for the entire year which is ok for a center. Its neither bad or good, but it is far better than Fede on the defensive side of the basketball.

The 2 worst defensive rebounders on our team by position were Nelly Cummings and Fede. Replacing Cummings with Dior is going to be a pretty substantial difference on the glass, and the word substantial might still be an understatement. Dior wants to rebound because he loves pushing the fast break offense off of those rebounds. Cummings defensive rebounding was non existent the last 7 games of the season.

Getting back to Fede, in his last 10 games of the season, he had a DR defensive rebound rate over 10 only 3 times in 10 games. That is painfully bad for a center whether you want to bring up the injury issue or not. He had a DR rebound rate of 8 or under in 5 of those games, which is Nelly Cummings level bad at rebounding and was one of the main drivers of why this team was getting crushed on the glass.
Mb i was on sports reference and accidentally used the per 40 stats, but still i think it is gonna be hard to improve over fede and gdg, and if we do im more worried about stunting their development and with fede, watchjng him rebound was annoying. He seemed to stand and wait for the ball to come to him instead of attacking it alot of the time. Not sure if it just had to do with fatigue since he played 35-40 mins a night

7.1 ppg
6 rpg
1.9 blocks per game

I trust you that he's not a good d rebounder but you can't bring up the end of the year as relevant. He was a shell of himself.
I think most of us agree a 3rd person who can play center would be of great value.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I trust you that he's not a good d rebounder but you can't bring up the end of the year as relevant. He was a shell of himself.
I think most of us agree a 3rd person who can play center would be of great value.

I'm not worried about Fede. He will get better. He may never be DeJuan Blair but he'll be ok. But we 100% need a very strong rebounder and if that player is better all around than Fede, then he will play more than Fede. Fede isnt locked into the starting Center spot. If we can upgrade and have Fede off the bench, we will do that.

I'm not worried about Fede. He will get better. He may never be DeJuan Blair but he'll be ok. But we 100% need a very strong rebounder and if that player is better all around than Fede, then he will play more than Fede. Fede isnt locked into the starting Center spot. If we can upgrade and have Fede off the bench, we will do that.
I have no problem with a giant upgrade or a solid backup.
My main concern is going in with 2 5s. And possibly having injuries.

I have no problem with a giant upgrade or a solid backup.
My main concern is going in with 2 5s. And possibly having injuries.

We really dont have enough roster flexibility to bring in a backup caliber player at the 4/5. We have 3 ships. We need a starting shooting guard, a rebounder (potentially a center), and possibly a point guard if they cant trust Dior to be here and be eligible and feel Lowe isnt ready. The big we get has to be able to legitimately compete for a starting spot.

We really dont have enough roster flexibility to bring in a backup caliber player at the 4/5. We have 3 ships. We need a starting shooting guard, a rebounder (potentially a center), and possibly a point guard if they cant trust Dior to be here and be eligible and feel Lowe isnt ready. The big we get has to be able to legitimately compete for a starting spot.
Like I said I don't care who they get but they need 3 total.

Right.

At this point, they simply are not going be able to bring in any C who is any better than Fed or G - adding in the context that both will almost assuredly improve this off season and be at least a bit better than they were this year. Now, another backup center, sure.

But, the defensive rebounding issue absolutely was more about the team than the C spot in isolation - they were playing a smaller line up around them all season and the center was having to hedge hard up top constantly, another factor relative to C, that is what they want defensively, not a thicker guy who can't effectively disrupt the guard handoffs on high hedges.

NOW, the rebounding does need to be tightened up for sure. But, getting one, maybe one and a half more rebound out of the C while losing the mobility that Fed Fed and G offer is a net wash, at best.

I’m glad you got it all figured out, next season final 4 here we come

expecting different results with our horrid rebounding and defense "in the paint" by doing the same thing (fede and Guillermo) is the definition of insanity..

you need to change things and just hoping these two "Figure it out" in the off season or gain 35 pounds of muscle in 8 months isnt a strategy, it's a fantasy..

you absolutely go after a center/power forward and try and upgrade that position.. it would be beyond foolish to not.

expecting different results with our horrid rebounding and defense "in the paint" by doing the same thing (fede and Guillermo) is the definition of insanity..

you need to change things and just hoping these two "Figure it out" in the off season or gain 35 pounds of muscle in 8 months isnt a strategy, it's a fantasy..

you absolutely go after a center/power forward and try and upgrade that position.. it would be beyond foolish to not.
I am optimistic that we'll be better in the front court next year. Because I think the twins and Fede both have room to improve and I don't think it's fantasy to expect some improvement.

I haven't followed the portal as closely as others, but I'd be curious how many guaranteed upgrades are actually available (and realistic targets).

I am optimistic that we'll be better in the front court next year. Because I think the twins and Fede both have room to improve and I don't think it's fantasy to expect some improvement.

I haven't followed the portal as closely as others, but I'd be curious how many guaranteed upgrades are actually available (and realistic targets).
I basically agree, Time,
experience, and off season
strength bulilding program
alone will make them better.
With that said, I'd like to
see another big added. If
not better than what we
have, at least a strong
rebounder and an inside
presence. As others have
said, an outside shooting
threat, and a combo pg,
off guard is also needed.

Some on here like Santos,
I do not. He apparently is
a good team mate which is
important. If we can improve
on him, and I can't see why
we couldn't.....encourage him
to transfer and bring in better.

Last edited:
Success can be a double edge sword. It’s much easier to sell playing time to fill positions of players leaving. Fede and the twins are not superstars, but incoming replacement players may not want to have to compete for the starting job. Then if NIl comes into play, is that really the way to go…creating internal friction.

7.1 ppg
6 rpg
1.9 blocks per game

thanks for the great stats ! it seems like Fede should have the ability to improve that massively. Diaz Graham seemed to really improve his rebounding in the NCAA tourney.,

This team was really good in close games, mainly due to historically good 3 point shooting. A few plays here or there and this team could have lost 4-5 more games and not even made the NIT. We definitely need to upgrade if we can.

This team was really good in close games, mainly due to historically good 3 point shooting. A few plays here or there and this team could have lost 4-5 more games and not even made the NIT. We definitely need to upgrade if we can.
i just dont see next year's team having the same exact system as this years, not with the turnover at the guard spot. good coaching adapts..

I dont think you can just plug in new names for Cummings, SIbande, Elliott and Burton and run the same sets, fire up the same amount of threes and try and duplicate this year's formula..

You could get away with being outrebounded by a 10+ margin if you are firing up 30+ three pointers and hitting them. but i dont see us being able to rely on that same scheme next year..

So if we are getting beaten as usual on the boards, giving up 2nd and 3rd chance points at this year's rate and giving up 25 points "in the paint" like this year, and NOT hitting a ton of 3s, we are in serious trouble.

i just dont see next year's team having the same exact system as this years, not with the turnover at the guard spot. good coaching adapts..

I dont think you can just plug in new names for Cummings, SIbande, Elliott and Burton and run the same sets, fire up the same amount of threes and try and duplicate this year's formula..

You could get away with being outrebounded by a 10+ margin if you are firing up 30+ three pointers and hitting them. but i dont see us being able to rely on that same scheme next year..

So if we are getting beaten as usual on the boards, giving up 2nd and 3rd chance points at this year's rate and giving up 25 points "in the paint" like this year, and NOT hitting a ton of 3s, we are in serious trouble.

Right. That's the fear. It took historic 3 point shooting to overcome defense and rebounding shortcomings......and we barely, barely made the tournament, and barely, barely, made the Round of 64. It really wouldn't be terribly surprising if we landed some decent transfers but go 7-13 in the ACC simply because our scoring takes just a small hit.

thanks for the great stats ! it seems like Fede should have the ability to improve that massively. Diaz Graham seemed to really improve his rebounding in the NCAA tourney.,
I expect significant improvement from GDG and Fede next season. We still need a 3rd 5 man, unless Jorge is up to the task of backing up the 3,4 and 5 spots.

I think a lot of our paint points given up were from dribble drives and pick and rolls not defended well schematically.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT