ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 100 greatest tv shows of all-time

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
According to Rolling Stone. I demand to see the poll methodology! As with everything else Rolling Stone does, this is warped!

A lot of the Top 10 I can agree with, but WTF is "Fleabag"? :)
It's about what you expect, they add newer stuff that fits their "agenda".

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
A lot of the Top 10 I can agree with, but WTF is "Fleabag"? :)
It's about what you expect, they add newer stuff that fits their "agenda".
I’m not a fan of Mash, but how is that not in the top 5 or top 10? I don’t even see it in the top 20. How about All In The Family? That has to be a top 10 and it’s not even in the Top 20.

According to Rolling Stone. I demand to see the poll methodology! As with everything else Rolling Stone does, this is warped!

No Barnaby Jones or Mannix = no validity.....Now, get off my lawn!

I’m not a fan of Mash, but how is that not in the top 5 or top 10? I don’t even see it in the top 20. How about All In The Family? That has to be a top 10 and it’s not even in the Top 20.
I agree, I didn't go through the whole 100, but yeah, I see Mary Tyler Moore up there, probably because it was ground breaking for women, MASH and All in the Family where from the same era and where IMO on the same level.

Funny thing I seem the remember about a MTM episode was the show the night before the Steelers/Vikings Super Bowl, I think they referenced the Vikings winning? I was a junior high kid, I need to go find the episode and confirm that :)

No Barnaby Jones or Mannix = no validity.....Now, get off my lawn!
Mannix was great because every episode Peggy had to bring Joe an ice pack for his head after he got knocked out by a lead pipe, talk about CTE :)

And Barnaby was like 85 years old and he never killed anyone, he was so accurate with that pistol, he could always just shoot the gun out of their hand without hurting them! :)

Everyone has different tastes, therefore lists like this are impossible. Personally I think the wire is right up there. And IMO Hill Street Blues was excellent.

Everyone has different tastes, therefore lists like this are impossible. Personally I think the wire is right up there. And IMO Hill Street Blues was excellent.
I loved the sopranos but it's not number 1. I thought boardwalk and the deuce were outstanding and bcs ahoupd be top 5.

Bunker was incredible.

Mannix was great because every episode Peggy had to bring Joe an ice pack for his head after he got knocked out by a lead pipe, talk about CTE :)

And Barnaby was like 85 years old and he never killed anyone, he was so accurate with that pistol, he could always just shoot the gun out of their hand without hurting them! :)
of course he was 85 years old...it was part of the show's schtick. Every detective show had to have one back then...Barnaby Jones was an old fart, Cannon was a fat f**k and Kojak was as bald as a cueball before it was in fashion...

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
Rolling Stone's lists are crap. Justified at 76 is all I need to see. Easily a top 20 show on any list.

I mean, there was a 0% chance that a board that is 99% men would agree with the rankings polled from a group that is 60% women.

Once you get past the top 15 or so then it's basically a toss-up for the next 300 shows.

Honestly I thought the top 10 was pretty solid. People can overthink these and they can go sideways really quick. I'm a fan of Fleabag and Atlanta but I wouldn't put either in the top 10. Replace one with the Twilight Zone for how much it has influenced pop culture. I'd probably have to put Sesame Street much higher too just for the sheer number of people who have watched it.

Girls always gets talked about in the media but I've never met a single person who thinks it's good. I also love the Leftovers and see it on these lists all the time but I've never met anyone who loves it like I do.

Honestly I thought the top 10 was pretty solid. People can overthink these and they can go sideways really quick. I'm a fan of Fleabag and Atlanta but I wouldn't put either in the top 10. Replace one with the Twilight Zone for how much it has influenced pop culture. I'd probably have to put Sesame Street much higher too just for the sheer number of people who have watched it.

Girls always gets talked about in the media but I've never met a single person who thinks it's good. I also love the Leftovers and see it on these lists all the time but I've never met anyone who loves it like I do.
Yeah top 10 is pretty good. The most shocking to me were how low West Wing, Taxi, The Daily Show, and Game of Thrones were on the list. I mean those are shows that were used as the primary measuring stick to compare shows in their genre for years, if not decades, after they aired.

Agreed, hard to argue with the top 7 or so being at least reasonable and universally praised. I'd have Star Trek (and consider TNG or DS9 for top 100) and/or Twilight Zone as top 10 but genre fiction usually gets put a little lower than realistic drama/comedy. I think Sesame Street was also probably lower just due to the genre that it is.

Yeah top 10 is pretty good. The most shocking to me were how low West Wing, Taxi, The Daily Show, and Game of Thrones were on the list. I mean those are shows that were used as the primary measuring stick to compare shows in their genre for years, if not decades, after they aired.
Pretty impressive just to make the list. I’m just surprised how many of them I never heard of.

I just don’t understand how Threes Company isn’t on the list. I liked that one episode that was built around some kind of misunderstanding. Oh wait, I think that was every episode.

Boardwalk should be on the list as should east bound down or Vice principals.

Pretty impressive just to make the list. I’m just surprised how many of them I never heard of.

I just don’t understand how Threes Company isn’t on the list. I liked that one episode that was built around some kind of misunderstanding. Oh wait, I think that was every episode.
My biggest gripe with 3s Company was that the chicks simply were not hot enough to bother with the inanity. Oh, don’t get me wrong, I was 13 when it debuted so I definitely watched. But Suzanne Somers was immensely overrated, Joyce De Witt was too plain and got only marginally better even after the Pat Benatar hairdo and short-shorts were thrust upon her around season 3, and the journeygirls that came after those two moved my teenage lever even less. But, there were only 3 channels then so what were the alternatives as that time, likely McCloud or Cannon. At least with Charlie’s Angels, Cheryl Ladd was arguably an upgrade over Farrah, though they should have dumped Kate Jackson immediately.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
All in the Family was #21 and MASH was #25, the voters were under the age of 70 which is why newer shows are ranked higher.

I love The Simpsons and occasionally watch new episodes but it shouldn't be #2, top 10 sure. Also, I haven't seen anyone anywhere argue about about the #1 spot, that's how good The Sopranos was.

Did they talk openly about sex ?
I doubt you’d like it since you seem to like network shows from 40 years ago
I LOVE open sex talk, stuff like that doesn't phase me, when they say "what you're about to see may be disturbing to some viewers" I drop everything to watch, I have no problem watching sex scenes, even homosexual ones, I laugh at other straight people my age who need to turn it off. I like network shows from 40 years ago, but a lot of modern shows too, Just watched Better Call Saul, Ozark, Cobra Kai, this year, been watching TWD since it started, currently watching Dahmer too, it's pretty sick, but I have no problem watching it.

All in the Family was #21 and MASH was #25, the voters were under the age of 70 which is why newer shows are ranked higher.

I love The Simpsons and occasionally watch new episodes but it shouldn't be #2, top 10 sure. Also, I haven't seen anyone anywhere argue about about the #1 spot, that's how good The Sopranos was.
The Wire > Sopranos

MASH and All in the Family are like Hall of Fame first class, first ballot shows.

I LOVE open sex talk, stuff like that doesn't phase me, when they say "what you're about to see may be disturbing to some viewers" I drop everything to watch, I have no problem watching sex scenes, even homosexual ones, I laugh at other straight people my age who need to turn it off. I like network shows from 40 years ago, but a lot of modern shows too, Just watched Better Call Saul, Ozark, Cobra Kai, this year, been watching TWD since it started, currently watching Dahmer too, it's pretty sick, but I have no problem watching it.
Then you may like it after all

Reactions: Pitt79
Simpsons should not be #2. It was great for a long time but jumped the shark a while
Ago.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT