ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 100 greatest tv shows of all-time

My dads favorite show. He’s been trying to get me to watch it but I can’t start a show that has like 80 episodes.

Now would be a good time as they are starting up a new series within a year or so. Justified: City Primeval is the name. I'm sure it will be good given Timothy Olyphant will be back.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
i love Curb your Enthusiasm but really disliked seinfield.
I thought Curb would be higher. But Larry David can be polarizing. So many people will say they can’t stand him, and my response is well yeah that’s the whole point. That combined with the ad lib design of the show makes it an acquired taste.

According to Rolling Stone. I demand to see the poll methodology! As with everything else Rolling Stone does, this is warped!

Beverly Hillbillies hands down number 1. WKRP number 2.

I thought Curb would be higher. But Larry David can be polarizing. So many people will say they can’t stand him, and my response is well yeah that’s the whole point. That combined with the ad lib design of the show makes it an acquired taste.
That’s part of what makes it so great. Some of those scenes can make one squirm a little.

It’s so many people’s inner dialogue. It’s an absolutely brilliant show.

Reactions: Pittgolf1971
What network is it on? Maybe I'll watch it just to see? I seriously never heard the name ever.
Amazon Prime. Good show. One of the top shows? Nah...when I suggest what shows to watch that doesn't usually come to mind.

According to Rolling Stone. I demand to see the poll methodology! As with everything else Rolling Stone does, this is warped!

think I could easily pluck off 25 or 30 from this list to make room for Barney Miller...

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
Honestly I thought the top 10 was pretty solid. People can overthink these and they can go sideways really quick. I'm a fan of Fleabag and Atlanta but I wouldn't put either in the top 10. Replace one with the Twilight Zone for how much it has influenced pop culture. I'd probably have to put Sesame Street much higher too just for the sheer number of people who have watched it.

Girls always gets talked about in the media but I've never met a single person who thinks it's good. I also love the Leftovers and see it on these lists all the time but I've never met anyone who loves it like I do.
I watched the Leftovers over the summer. One of my all time favorites. The woman who played the leader of that cult group was one of the scariest characters I've ever seen.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Boardwalk should be on the list as should east bound down or Vice principals.
Vice Principals is really really funny. I don't think that many people have watched it though- only two seasons and didn't have a big cultural impact. McBride is the best comedic actor of this generation IMO.

Vice Principals is really really funny. I don't think that many people have watched it though- only two seasons and didn't have a big cultural impact. McBride is the best comedic actor of this generation IMO.
McBride and Goggins are magic together.

Reactions: h2p_5150
I won’t say it’s a best ever - but a show I’ve started watching that’s really funny is Baskets
Came out a while back.

currently Reservation Dogs and Abbott Elementary are excellent

A lot of the Top 10 I can agree with, but WTF is "Fleabag"? :)
It's about what you expect, they add newer stuff that fits their "agenda".

Yeah I have no idea what that show is, but I'm guessing if they redo this list 10 years from now, Fleabag won't make the top 25.

I won’t say it’s a best ever - but a show I’ve started watching that’s really funny is Baskets
Came out a while back.

currently Reservation Dogs and Abbott Elementary are excellent
Louis Anderson was fantastic.

All in the Family should probably be in the top 10. That's the perfect show for a loosely based remake.
Surprised Cosby or family ties didn't make it although we know why Cosby didn't.

Surprised Cosby or family ties didn't make it although we know why Cosby didn't.
Cosby show was good for year and i was a huge Family Ties fan but man, you watch some of those reruns now and they dont hold up, AT ALL.

I watched one recently with a Drunk Tom Hanks chugging vanilla extract and backhanding Alex P Keaton, it was pretty ridiculous..

I am trying to think of some 80's sitcoms deserving of this list. outside of cheers, cant think of any. So many that i liked but for them to be on this list, it's a tough call. many people will laugh but i think BRady Bunch deserves to be on here. everyone makes fun of it but everyone has seen every episode and that show ran for at least 10+ years.

Cosby show was good for year and i was a huge Family Ties fan but man, you watch some of those reruns now and they dont hold up, AT ALL.

I watched one recently with a Drunk Tom Hanks chugging vanilla extract and backhanding Alex P Keaton, it was pretty ridiculous..

I am trying to think of some 80's sitcoms deserving of this list. outside of cheers, cant think of any. So many that i liked but for them to be on this list, it's a tough call. many people will laugh but i think BRady Bunch deserves to be on here. everyone makes fun of it but everyone has seen every episode and that show ran for at least 10+ years.

How can The Brady Bunch NOT be on the list? Especially with some of the selections they picked that have only been on for a season or two.

All in the Family should probably be in the top 10. That's the perfect show for a loosely based remake.
No way! You couldn't do that show today, even though it was mostly about making fun of the white guy, (Archie) the stuff he said would be sending snowflakes to safe spaces instead of them laughing about it. And also George Jefferson was racist against white people, but that would be excused and ignored.

Wonder years held up big time.
great call, forgot about that one. yes, i think for sure that should be on there. One of the first shows to do a time piece too. Now you have a plenty of them, one about 80s, one about 90s, one about 70s, one about asians in the 90s, but that was one of the first of it's kind..

Now would be a good time as they are starting up a new series within a year or so. Justified: City Primeval is the name. I'm sure it will be good given Timothy Olyphant will be back.
I might have to start. I love anythjng Walton Goggins is in

No way! You couldn't do that show today, even though it was mostly about making fun of the white guy, (Archie) the stuff he said would be sending snowflakes to safe spaces instead of them laughing about it. And also George Jefferson was racist against white people, but that would be excused and ignored.
none of these shows could be made today. even shows like bosom buddies would be offensive to 1/2 the population now.

Reactions: Pitt79

I know that it would be attacked, but it could be a huge hit. Think about all of the things going on today with "wokeness", gay and trans rights, women in more prominent roles, etc. Find the right actor and it would be hilarious. The arc of the show could be about the dude adjusting to a modern world and coming to terms with everything.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Honestly I thought the top 10 was pretty solid. People can overthink these and they can go sideways really quick. I'm a fan of Fleabag and Atlanta but I wouldn't put either in the top 10. Replace one with the Twilight Zone for how much it has influenced pop culture. I'd probably have to put Sesame Street much higher too just for the sheer number of people who have watched it.

Girls always gets talked about in the media but I've never met a single person who thinks it's good. I also love the Leftovers and see it on these lists all the time but I've never met anyone who loves it like I do.

Well ... you've met me.

The Leftovers (especially season three) was single greatest television show I've ever watched.

Having said this, I don't think I would put it at #17 in an objective ranking. As beautiful, artistic, moving and difficult as it was, it just didn't have the impact that so many other shows did. I'd put it around #40.

Girls (which I don't really love) was a hugely influential show. I think that one is well ranked.

I think the Soprano's is the correct choice for #1. It became the complete the blueprint for what Television is now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT