ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Brady looks done

I think he’s definitely done in Tampa, but he might have another year or two elsewhere around the league. Vegas comes to mind as a potential destination.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
There are Steeler fans / media suggesting Leftwich as a replacement for Canada. I hope not. Having watched the Bucs 3-4 times this year that offense is pretty underwhelming. Tonight they mentioned Godwin as leading the league in WR screen catches, at or behind the LOS. I just thought of the 2019 Pitt team where Ffrench set a record for catches but couldn’t crack 1,000 yards. No thanks.

He threw 66 passes, for 351 yards. That is a bad offense - they had 52 yards rushing.

I get it, but those are stats of a team down 24-0 with 25 minutes left in the game. The eye test looked bad in the first half, at least twice he just threw the ball down the field into coverage, including the INT in the end zone down 6-0. A couple of dropped/mishandled snaps, some poorly thrown balls, and the obvious downward trajectory of his mobility. Does he look as bad as Unitas and Namath at the end? No, but in comparison as to what his contemporaries can or are asked to do, he is headed that way. Plus, I can't see Brady coming off the bench to provide a spark if that is what the team needs like some of the older guys would do back in the day.

He is definitely done. I get it. It would have taken a miracle but after they got the touchdown to make it an18 point game you would have thought a competitor like Brady would have been fired up to try and get three quick scores but his face showed the game was over. It was a huge mistake for him to un retire. It really didnt help his life at all now did it ?

There are Steeler fans / media suggesting Leftwich as a replacement for Canada. I hope not. Having watched the Bucs 3-4 times this year that offense is pretty underwhelming. Tonight they mentioned Godwin as leading the league in WR screen catches, at or behind the LOS. I just thought of the 2019 Pitt team where Ffrench set a record for catches but couldn’t crack 1,000 yards. No thanks.
Leftwich is brutally bad. I don't think Kenny would do well in the Arians offense to begin with, but Leftwich is a well below average play caller too.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I believe he is from northern California and his favorite team growing up is SF. I could see that being Tom's dream destination. What is the QB situation in San Fran? Does San Fran really believe Purdy is the answer? I guess he is still under evaluation, a couple more wins by him and maybe they will go all-in on him. They also have Lance. We know they aren't high on Jimmy G.

I believe he is from northern California and his favorite team growing up is SF. I could see that being Tom's dream destination. What is the QB situation in San Fran? Does San Fran really believe Purdy is the answer? I guess he is still under evaluation, a couple more wins by him and maybe they will go all-in on him. They also have Lance. We know they aren't high on Jimmy G.

I think they have to be all in on Purdy. He has looked great and just won a playoff game. He’s a smart QB who seems to not make mistakes….just the type of QB they need with all of their weapons and defense. You could say the same thing about Jimmy G but I never felt he had the “it” factor Purdy does. Always seemed like the niners were in trouble if they fell behind and had to rely on Jimmy G to shoulder the load.

I think Brady to the Raiders for a year or two makes a lot of sense. I think he still looked pretty good early on in the game. Beef up the line and he could thrive with their weapons and running game in Vegas. And he has familiarity with McDaniels. I think Rodgers to Vegas would make even more sense, though I’m not sure Vegas could afford him + what it would take to trade for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
Always seemed like the niners were in trouble if they fell behind and had to rely on Jimmy G to shoulder the load.
Well I think the jury is still out on Purdy ... he might have the same problem. It's one thing to do it in the regular season, and another thing to do it in the playoffs. Like I said, we'll see if he can win another game or two during these playoffs. I would think that if Purdy wins a Super Bowl, he has to be your guy -- then again, as the Eagles showed us with Foles, maybe that's not true. Where does Lance fit in? He was supposed to be the guy this season and got hurt.

If SF sets it sights on Brady, either Lance or Purdy is probably expendable. They would want to hold one to to be the heir apparent to Brady, but I don't think you would hold both. They could be used to get another weapon for Brady, which I think could be enough to convince Brady to sign with the Niners.

Why would they bring in an old qb at the end of their career for that dynamic offense ?!?

Even jimmy g knew it was worth hanging on as a backup there

Well I think the jury is still out on Purdy ... he might have the same problem. It's one thing to do it in the regular season, and another thing to do it in the playoffs. Like I said, we'll see if he can win another game or two during these playoffs. I would think that if Purdy wins a Super Bowl, he has to be your guy -- then again, as the Eagles showed us with Foles, maybe that's not true. Where does Lance fit in? He was supposed to be the guy this season and got hurt.

If SF sets it sights on Brady, either Lance or Purdy is probably expendable. They would want to hold one to to be the heir apparent to Brady, but I don't think you would hold both. They could be used to get another weapon for Brady, which I think could be enough to convince Brady to sign with the Niners.

I think Purdy is the guy if he wins the Superbowl or not. I think the Cowboys game should be a good one. If they get blown out and he looks bad, then maybe there are questions. But he just played a great game in the wild card round already. I don’t think he has to do too much more, if anything, to cement the starting job.

I think they keep Lance as insurance in case Purdy does regress badly next year. Maybe bring in an old timer as third string if they feel like they need more experience.

The thing I think cements Purdy as the starter most of all is he seems to already possess the intangibles that make a great NFL QB. On top of that , while e doesn’t have all of the physical skills other guys have, he is accurate, decently mobile, and can make all of the throws. Very similar to KP in many ways.

Leftwich is brutally bad. I don't think Kenny would do well in the Arians offense to begin with, but Leftwich is a well below average play caller too.
I'm confused..was he not the OC of a Super Bowl winning team a couple years ago with an offense solidly in the top 10 in the league? Did not know one could attain "brutally bad" status with that on one's resume.

Steelers might take him mainly because they are inbred, nepotistic, "bring back da local guy" Yinzers and just for that reason alone. They as an Organization are like the lowest IQ Yinzer fan when it comes to stuff like this:)

That said, Leftwich might be better than Canada, he did win a ring as an OC. But Stillers do put too much emphasis on having past ties or Yinzer connections. But they do know that sells in Yinzburgh.

Steelers might take him mainly because they are inbred, nepotistic, "bring back da local guy" Yinzers and just for that reason alone. They as an Organization are like the lowest IQ Yinzer fan when it comes to stuff like this:)

I don’t mind Leftwich if they bring in great coaches under him. Kind of like bringing in Flores under Austin. I don’t think Leftwich is a bad OC but no idea about his ability to mentor young QBs given his two QBs in Tampa were Winston and Brady.

I don’t mind Leftwich if they bring in great coaches under him. Kind of like bringing in Flores under Austin. I don’t think Leftwich is a bad OC but no idea about his ability to mentor young QBs given his two QBs in Tampa were Winston and Brady.
Then again, he was an NFL starting QB himself, so he knows something about it.

That said, Leftwich might be better than Canada, he did win a ring as an OC. But Stillers do put too much emphasis on having past ties or Yinzer connections. But they do know that sells in Yinzburgh.
Do you think that the Steelers, or any NFL team, cares one bit about what fans think about their assistant coaching hires?

Reactions: Parkview57
Do you think that the Steelers, or any NFL team, cares one bit about what fans think about their assistant coaching hires?
No, I'm not talking about fans, I'm saying the Rooneys are stupid Yinzers that are afraid of change and often find comfort in hiring the "local guy" or the guy with ties to the team.

He threw 66 passes, for 351 yards. That is a bad offense - they had 52 yards rushing.

Shades of end game Big Ben in Brady's numbers.

I think Brady could still get a decent roster to the playoffs but he's got a few challenges:

1) his arm is really starting to go. He's in his mid-40s so that is to be expected but he's been missing guys low all year. He can still get it downfield from time to time but he's missing on many more passes than he used to.
2) Tampa was a really good roster. They - not Brady - did most of the work against the Chiefs. If you swapped Brady and Mahomes in that game the Mahomes-Bucs would have won by 24. Where could Brady go that is as good as 2019-2020 Tampa? SF is the only option but they have Trey Lance and Purdy. Las Vegas and New England would both be huge talent downgrades. Miami is sticking with Tua. The Jets are somewhat viable...everyone else is trash.
3) the NFC South has been garbage for years. Look, I'm not saying Brady isn't the goat but he had a really unique opportunity with the AFC East being terrible his whole career outside of like 2 seasons total from Miami and the Jets and then went to the NFC South. Some of these rumored landing spots - Vegas in particular - will offer a much bumpier road. What would you think Brady's in-division record would be against Justin Herbert, Mahomes, and Russ Wilson? 2-4? It could get ugly if they can't sign a ton of cheap vets. Again SF would be great but the Rams will be healthier next year and Seattle has a ton of picks. If he goes to the Jets he has to play Buffalo, Miami, and NE. Nowhere he goes will be as soft as the NFC South.

I think he comes back bc of the divorce but I think the magic is gone. He's not winning another ring nor another MVP. I'm not even totally sure he's a top 10 QB anymore.

Reactions: Parkview57
I think Purdy is the guy if he wins the Superbowl or not. I think the Cowboys game should be a good one. If they get blown out and he looks bad, then maybe there are questions. But he just played a great game in the wild card round already. I don’t think he has to do too much more, if anything, to cement the starting job.

I think they keep Lance as insurance in case Purdy does regress badly next year. Maybe bring in an old timer as third string if they feel like they need more experience.

The thing I think cements Purdy as the starter most of all is he seems to already possess the intangibles that make a great NFL QB. On top of that , while e doesn’t have all of the physical skills other guys have, he is accurate, decently mobile, and can make all of the throws. Very similar to KP in many ways.

Respectfully disagree. Purdy threw 3 TDs last week and the longest one was 8 air yards (which Deebo housed for 66). He's a 7th round pick really being carried by the system. I could see him winning the job next year over Lance but I'm 1000000% sure they won't just give him the job in the Spring.

Respectfully disagree. Purdy threw 3 TDs last week and the longest one was 8 air yards (which Deebo housed for 66). He's a 7th round pick really being carried by the system. I could see him winning the job next year over Lance but I'm 1000000% sure they won't just give him the job in the Spring.

Fair enough. I didn’t see much of that game, just went by stats (which looked impressive). I did watch a few niners games late in the season and he certainly looked impressive in those wins.

No, I'm not talking about fans, I'm saying the Rooneys are stupid Yinzers that are afraid of change and often find comfort in hiring the "local guy" or the guy with ties to the team.
You said “they know that sells in yinzburgh.” I interpret that to mean the fans. By the way, the last 3 head coaches that they hired were assistants, who were not even coordinators. And had no ties to the Steelers. 2 of those are in the Hall of Fame, and the 3rd is definitely a possibility. Doesn’t sound like “stupid yinzers,” whatever that means.

You said “they know that sells in yinzburgh.” I interpret that to mean the fans. By the way, the last 3 head coaches that they hired were assistants, who were not even coordinators. And had no ties to the Steelers. 2 of those are in the Hall of Fame, and the 3rd is definitely a possibility. Doesn’t sound like “stupid yinzers,” whatever that means.
Cowher was in fact a "local guy" From Pittsburgh, so that's not totally true. You also INTERPRET WRONG. The fans like it, but it's also something the Rooneys like.

Fair enough. I didn’t see much of that game, just went by stats (which looked impressive). I did watch a few niners games late in the season and he certainly looked impressive in those wins.

He's played really well but also so does every single QB in that system. He actually puts up very similar numbers to the Mullens/Garoppolo/Beathard threesome that went 6-10 in 2020.

Purdy is great for a 7th round pick but they don't have to give the team over to him. He's under contract for 2 more years and has zero leverage. They can - and should - tell him to fend off Lance for the job.

He's played really well but also so does every single QB in that system. He actually puts up very similar numbers to the Mullens/Garoppolo/Beathard threesome that went 6-10 in 2020.

Purdy is great for a 7th round pick but they don't have to give the team over to him. He's under contract for 2 more years and has zero leverage. They can - and should - tell him to fend off Lance for the job.

From what I’ve seen, he looks better than Jimmy G to me. But then I look at the numbers this year and they are pretty similar. So perhaps my eyes have deceived me.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT