ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ghislaine Maxwell...

But I’d have to scoff that your introduction is because a wealthy white women has to sit in jail awaiting trials .
Who is also child Sex trafficker
boss - you’re way Late to the party and picking the wrong lady to use as an example
Why are you biased against wealthy white woman? And why would you think I am defending a white woman rather than speaking about the nature of long periods between arrest and trial.

Shouldn't everyone be given the same treatment?

There are federal laws that prevent “too speedy” of a trial to prevent a kangaroo court. The schedule isn’t arbitrary. The attorneys will need time to pour over the grand jury evidence, hire PI’s to question people, pre-trial motions, etc. The right to a speedy trial isn’t more important than a right to a fair trial. She’s sitting in jail because she’s a flight risk and no amount of bail will keep her around.
Isn't a slow trial unfair on it's own? The burden is on the prosecution.

Chauvin had 18 prior misconduct complaints. Those were all handled by the department IA unit, i.e., his fellow officers, who exonerated him 17 times.

The DA/prosecutor’s office doesn’t get involved in interdepartmental police disciplinary matters. Based on your inane commentary about your perception of the legal and criminal justice system, I’d suggest you take a basic civics class at your local community college. You clearly don’t understand the way the system works.
https://nypost.com/2020/05/29/amy-k...s-she-didnt-charge-derek-chauvin-in-shooting/

A grand jury is IA?

Who refers a case to the GJ?

Reactions: Farnox
Ok-a shooting case in 2006 that was sent alto a grand jury to determine whether to charge. So one case of a prosecutor doing her job and referring the matter to a grand jury before bringing a charge.. What about the other 8 cases that you cite of the “”DA” letting Chauvin off the hook? You just made that up to support your uninformed stance on the law, the courts and the criminal justice system. Do you have any idea how a grand jury works and what its ole is? Are you suggesting the prosecutor should have brought charges against Chauvin in 2006 after a grand jury failed to indict him? That wouldn’t have been very smart, would it? Your comments in this thread reveal your ignorance as to the systems and process. An uninformed opinion is less valuable than no opinion at all. It’s obvious that you’re way out of your depth here.

Ok-a shooting case in 2006 that was sent alto a grand jury to determine whether to charge. So one case of a prosecutor doing her job and referring the matter to a grand jury before bringing a charge.. What about the other 8 cases that you cite of the “”DA” letting Chauvin off the hook? You just made that up to support your uninformed stance on the law, the courts and the criminal justice system. Do you have any idea how a grand jury works and what its ole is? Are you suggesting the prosecutor should have brought charges against Chauvin in 2006 after a grand jury failed to indict him? That wouldn’t have been very smart, would it? Your comments in this thread reveal your ignorance as to the systems and process. An uninformed opinion is less valuable than no opinion at all. It’s obvious that you’re way out of your depth here.
You said, that it was only IA. Most of my comments here are asking questions.

You come along and pretend to be so smart and when you are wrong, you point the finger at me. So a grand jury works at the behest of IA?

Also, doesn't the DA have the ability to look into cases where an officer has so many incidents? And doesn't the local government have an interest into looking further into officers that have so many complaints?

I am stating what should be rather than what is. You are arguing what is rather than what it should be. After all, Minneapolis did not include me in on setting up their system, so I had no input in how they do things.

But like any good lib, you charge in making insults and trying to be superior rather than trying to understand what someone is really saying. But you can walk with your head high knowing that you have proven no point but to disagree with someone who wasn't disagreeing with anything. True genius.

Are you really so uninformed that you don't think that there are people saying that? I mean here is an op-ed from the New York Times with the title "Yes, We Mean Literally Abolish the Police".

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/12/opinion/sunday/floyd-abolish-defund-police.html

"I’ve been advocating the abolition of the police for years."

"We don’t want to just close police departments. We want to make them obsolete."

"People like me who want to abolish prisons and police, however, have a vision of a different society, built on cooperation instead of individualism, on mutual aid instead of self-preservation."

So she not only wants to get rid of the police, she wants to close all the prisons. In other words, she's batshit crazy. But she most certainly is saying, literally, get rid of the police.
I mean people that mean anything. Hell there are people still saying the earth is flat.

No
Jails hold you prior to court
If you aren’t getting this basic premise , yet
There is really no use
I pointed out you picked an awful poster child
Why would you say poster child? She is in the news and they announced her court date.

Seems more relevant to the news than poster child.

Now you are being kind of a jerk. So you are saying that you don't need a lawyer if you get put in jail?

You are making me an adversary when I am just discussing the reality. You call me ignorant when I only surmised and asked. Weird that you get so defensive. But the truth is you don't like some of my other posts so you see a chance to try to gotcha me. Seems you should calm down and try to be a human rather than a partisan.

Just saying no one is saying get rid of the police. How they direct the funds isn't known to me. And I don't know what you are talking about when you say "defund the police means defund the police".
I don't know if you're being obtuse, or you are just uninformed on most of the topics you comment on.

AOC made national news for DAYS when she made those comments. She's not alone, but she is one of the most prominent figures to express that idea.

Here's the first post that came up when I did a search on her comments. I don't know who the presenter is, but that's not as important as direct quotes and press releases from AOC.

Are you serious, he just proved your 1st rude comment was wrong and you come back and double down on it. Crazy.

Isn't a slow trial unfair on it's own? The burden is on the prosecution.

Yes, but so is a trial that is too fast. The system protects defendants from a prosecutor ramming a case through without a chance to properly review evidence, interview witnesses, and to file pre-trial motions. The more complex the trial, the longer it takes.

Keep in mind, federal prosecutors don't act on a whim. Something like 90% of people charged with federal crimes take a plea agreement because the fed won't mess around without a pretty tight case.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Yes, but so is a trial that is too fast. The system protects defendants from a prosecutor ramming a case through without a chance to properly review evidence, interview witnesses, and to file pre-trial motions. The more complex the trial, the longer it takes.

Keep in mind, federal prosecutors don't act on a whim. Something like 90% of people charged with federal crimes take a plea agreement because the fed won't mess around without a pretty tight case.
Understand. That further shows how unfair these things can be. The prosecution is in total control.

If you were in this position, how long would you want to wait in jail before trial? Do you think the defendant should have more control in this process?

Are you serious, he just proved your 1st rude comment was wrong and you come back and double down on it. Crazy.
It was the DA in Minneapolis who let him off, I believe it was, 9 times.

You read and comprehend about as well as he does.

The prosecutor was involved with one incident of Chauvin's 18 disciplinary complaints (not criminal complaints) pre-Floyd. A departmental disciplinary complaint doesn't reach the prosecutor unless a potential criminal violation was committed. It was a potential bad shooting case which often involves a potential manslaughter or murder charge. The prosecutor referred it to a grand jury to see whether it held enough water to bring a charge. It didn't.

Chauvin's department investigated him 18 times, a grand jury did not indict him on the one matter that was referred to the proseciutor, so there was not evidence for the the county prosecuting attorney to charge him.

The poster I am responding to has made numerous totally uninformed, erroneous and just flat out ignorant statements about the legal and criminal justice systems, his attempted point being that lawyers "make all the laws", and that they do so to their own advantage. So that's the easy explanation for what he perceives, in his own narrow, uninformed, under-educated worldview, to be wrong with the legal system. That's just an ignorant statement. Kinda like saying a global pandemic is a hoax, or that a novel corona virus that has killed millions worldwide will just miraculously disappear, or that public health directives to wear masks to protect all citizens is an act of tyranny akin to British taxation of the colonies, or an infringement of personal freedoms like, say, denying women the right to vote.

De-funding the police means taking funds away from only the bad police officers?
Doesnt matter if they are busy shrinking goverment to a size to where you could drown it in a bathtub.
Mindblowing watching the people who have been screaming about defunding police for decaded have the ethers over people talking about it now.

It was the DA in Minneapolis who let him off, I believe it was, 9 times.

You read and comprehend about as well as he does.

The prosecutor was involved with one incident of Chauvin's 18 disciplinary complaints (not criminal complaints) pre-Floyd. A departmental disciplinary complaint doesn't reach the prosecutor unless a potential criminal violation was committed. It was a potential bad shooting case which often involves a potential manslaughter or murder charge. The prosecutor referred it to a grand jury to see whether it held enough water to bring a charge. It didn't.

Chauvin's department investigated him 18 times, a grand jury did not indict him on the one matter that was referred to the proseciutor, so there was not evidence for the the county prosecuting attorney to charge him.

The poster I am responding to has made numerous totally uninformed, erroneous and just flat out ignorant statements about the legal and criminal justice systems, his attempted point being that lawyers "make all the laws", and that they do so to their own advantage. So that's the easy explanation for what he perceives, in his own narrow, uninformed, under-educated worldview, to be wrong with the legal system. That's just an ignorant statement. Kinda like saying a global pandemic is a hoax, or that a novel corona virus that has killed millions worldwide will just miraculously disappear, or that public health directives to wear masks to protect all citizens is an act of tyranny akin to British taxation of the colonies, or an infringement of personal freedoms like, say, denying women the right to vote.
You go off on so many angry political tangents. There is interesting conversation here (not all cordial, but most) and you bust through the door arguing like a mad man. Why can't you communicate like a decent human being rather than an angry rioter?

Understand. That further shows how unfair these things can be. The prosecution is in total control.

If you were in this position, how long would you want to wait in jail before trial? Do you think the defendant should have more control in this process?

No, the judge is in control. You don't have an absolute right to bail and the judge makes that call. It's also not arbitrary. If you believe your bail is too high or you're being held unjustly, you can file a writ of habeas corpus and challenge it but there are guidelines in place that are pretty well tested.

The US code defines how long between charges being filed and commencement of the trial. That changes if both sides agree to take longer. You can also request it go to a magistrate judge faster.

No, the judge is in control. You don't have an absolute right to bail and the judge makes that call. It's also not arbitrary. If you believe your bail is too high or you're being held unjustly, you can file a writ of habeas corpus and challenge it but there are guidelines in place that are pretty well tested.

The US code defines how long between charges being filed and commencement of the trial. That changes if both sides agree to take longer. You can also request it go to a magistrate judge faster.
Seems like a big tangled mess.

What is Geraldo doing here?

He’s an idiot. He’s been all over the place over the course of his career. His positions are whatever serves him best at the time.

Or maybe he has an interest. If everything comes out there may be no end to the names on these lists. Left right and center.

And re: the coming alleged Redskins scandal. Latest rumor is Snyder may be involved in trafficking and is on one of the Epstein “lists”. For now just RUMOR. But not hard to believe it’s all potentially connected.

He’s an idiot. He’s been all over the place over the course of his career. His positions are whatever serves him best at the time.

Or maybe he has an interest. If everything comes out there may be no end to the names on these lists. Left right and center.

And re: the coming alleged Redskins scandal. Latest rumor is Snyder may be involved in trafficking and is on one of the Epstein “lists”. For now just RUMOR. But not hard to believe it’s all potentially connected.
Seems that a huge amount of big shots are involved in some capacity.

Doesnt matter if they are busy shrinking goverment to a size to where you could drown it in a bathtub.
Mindblowing watching the people who have been screaming about defunding police for decaded have the ethers over people talking about it now.
I don't know what you are trying to say.

I'm only responding because you quoted a post by me.

I don't know if you're being obtuse, or you are just uninformed on most of the topics you comment on.

AOC made national news for DAYS when she made those comments. She's not alone, but she is one of the most prominent figures to express that idea.

Here's the first post that came up when I did a search on her comments. I don't know who the presenter is, but that's not as important as direct quotes and press releases from AOC.

Nice. AOC says what defund the police doesn't mean. But AOC doesn't explain what her idea of defunding the police really is in that piece so why are you using it to prove I am obtuse or uninformed? My basic point is that defunding the police doesn't mean getting rid of the police. And nowhere in that piece does AOC say it is. She says "defunding the Police means defunding the Police". So what does that mean. Neither of us knows.

Nice. AOC says what defund the police doesn't mean. But AOC doesn't explain what her idea of defunding the police really is in that piece so why are you using it to prove I am obtuse or uninformed? My basic point is that defunding the police doesn't mean getting rid of the police. And nowhere in that piece does AOC say it is. She says "defunding the Police means defunding the Police". So what does that mean. Neither of us knows.
She’s been pretty clear on it
If you’d actually be interested in looking it up
As it’s off the actual topic of this thread -
I won’t go into it

I'm tapping out. All yours. Believe what you want.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT