ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Movie List Help

upj87

Head Coach
Nov 5, 2003
I would like to compile a list of movies for my son. He is 25. My mission is to compile a top ten list of essential "regular guy" films that he has not likely watched that line up with films I may have watched and enjoyed up and until the age of 25.

Parameters are as follows:

Pre 1990 release
No major blockbusters aka Jaws, Star Wars, Top Gun etc.
No common popular 'classic' types like Caddyshack, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Animal House etc.
Preferably a film that was under the radar or gained some popularity after the fact or was even a flop.

The first ones off the top of my head to point you in the right direction.

Kelly's Heroes
The Thing (Kurt Russell 1982 version)
The Great Santini

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I would like to compile a list of movies for my son. He is 25. My mission is to compile a top ten list of essential "regular guy" films that he has not likely watched that line up with films I may have watched and enjoyed up and until the age of 25.

Pre 1990 release
No common popular 'classic' types like Caddyshack, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Animal House etc.
Preferably a film that was under the radar or gained some popularity after the fact or was even a flop.

Kelly's Heroes
The Great Santini

Any suggestions?

Pre 1990 release

Kelly's Heroes
The Great Santini

Any suggestions?

Pre 1990 release

Kelly's Heroes
The Great Santini

Any suggestions?
Jeremiah Johnson
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Outlaw Josie Wales

Reactions: CCHS82 and Gary77
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is the best movie ever made. It's a long, though.

Does Goodfellas count? The Hunt for Red October? Both 1990.

The Third Man and Casablanca are GREAT movies.

Real Genius

They Live.

Red Dawn

The Running Man

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is a hilarious movie. As is A Fish Called Wanda.

Reactions: Hilton Head Panther
Deer hunter

Dirty Harry

Alien/Aliens

French connection

Greatest escape

Blade runner

Taxi Driver

Predator

Mad max

Reactions: mike412

Pre 1990 release

Kelly's Heroes
The Great Santini

Any suggestions?
As I was reading your post I was thinking I’d suggest Kelly’s Heroes and then saw you already listed it as an example.

So a completely different type of movie, I’ll offer up Nightshift.

Highlander
Excalibur
American Graffiti
2001 A Space Oddesy
48 Hours
Apocalypse Now
Breaking Away
Enter the Dragon
The Sting
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Raging Bull
Dances With Wolves
Scarface
Spartacus
Silver Streak

too many....

Pre 1990 release

Kelly's Heroes
The Great Santini

Any suggestions?
- The Godfather
- My Cousin Vinny
- Holiday Inn ( Christmas time movie with Bing Crosby)
- The Dirty Dozen
- Where Eagles Dare
- The Great Escape

Highlander
Excalibur
American Graffiti
2001 A Space Oddesy
48 Hours
Apocalypse Now
Breaking Away
Enter the Dragon
The Sting
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Raging Bull
Dances With Wolves
Scarface
Spartacus
Silver Streak

too many....
Thanks to all...

The Exorcist
The Omen
The Omega Man
Deliverance(can only watch this one time)
Cooley High

Seven Days In May
The Last Hurrah
Inherit The Wind
The Searchers

The Day of the Jackal
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Memphis Belle
Midnight Cowboy
The Odessa File
One on One
Schindler’s List
Shenendoah
The Shoes of the Fisherman
The Sound of Music
The 300 Spartans
Twelve O’Clock High
The World at War ( Multi-disc documentary of WWll narrated by Laurence Olivier)
Bridge on the River Kwai
Bridge of Spies

Pre 1990 release

Kelly's Heroes
The Great Santini

Any suggestions?
Diner
Great cast

Reactions: BVGPitt and mike412
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Spies Like Us
Three Amigos
Big Trouble in Little China
Good Morning, Vietnam
Turner and Hooch
Trading Places

Mask (Rocky Dennis)
The Quiet Man
State of Grace
Urban Cowboy
The Fighting 69th

Sergeant York
Horse Soldiers
Elmer Gantry
Exodus
Rio Bravo
Ivanhoe
They Were Expendable
Robin Hood (Errol Flynn)
They Died with Their Boots On
Charge of the Light Brigade
The Man who Would be King

Reactions: mike412 and Gary77
Magnificent Seven
Force one from Navarone
Ipcress file
Odessa file
3 days of the Condor
It's a wonderful life
Casablanca
Maltese Falcon
Basil Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes movies
Ten Commandments.
The mechanic: original with Bronson
Deathwish
The Hiding Place
Outlaw Josie Wales
Reservoir Dogs.

Reactions: pittmeister
Two “auteur” movies by directors who had a nitch in which they created wonderful movies, but that niche also limited the number of good movies they could create.

For me, these are both must see movies.

“Local Hero”: Directed by Bill Forsyth who also directed “Gregory’s Girl.” Stars Burt Lancaster and Peter Riegert plus Forsyth’s Scottish troop of regulars. IMO one of the best 100 movies ever made and the last good movie Forsyth ever made. When he was making “small” movies about Scotland, he never made a bad one. Then, he came to America and has never done a good one.

“Barcelona”: Directed by Whit Stillman. Based loosely on his personal experience in Barcelona in the late 1980s, when anti-Americanism was
high there. A love Ode to the city with that anti-American undercurrent. E.g., Back then many pseudo-intellectuals in Barcelona believed the AFL-CIO was a spy organization offshoot of the CIA. But, the city itself is portrayed so beautifully it made me want to visit it, and now 28 years later I live in Barcelona. One of many reasons to watch it: It’s Mira Sorvino’s first movie and she is briefly naked.

“Casablanca” which has been mentioned is simply the best movie ever made. It’s too bad many people refuse to watch it because it is in B&W.

I would tell him to watch every John Ford movie ever made, but if I had to pick two they would be:

“Young Mr. Lincoln,” starring Henry Fonda as a young Abe Lincoln just starting to practice law in Illinois. There has never been a last 45 seconds of a movie as good or as inspiring as the end of it.

“The Grapes of Wrath,” also starring Fonda in the adaptation of John Steinbeck’s classic novel. Fonda is terrific but so is everyone in the cast.

Other great John Ford movies which haven’t been mentioned here I don’t think:

The Searchers
Fort Apache
Rio Grande
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
How Green Was My Valley
The Long Grey Line
The Quiet Man
My Darling Clementine
The Horse Soldiers
Mr. Roberts
The Long Voyage Home
Cheyenne Autumn

Last edited:
Magnificent Seven
Force one from Navarone
Ipcress file
Odessa file
3 days of the Condor
It's a wonderful life
Casablanca
Maltese Falcon
Basil Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes movies
Ten Commandments.
The mechanic: original with Bronson
Deathwish
The Hiding Place
Outlaw Josie Wales
Reservoir Dogs.
There is not a bad movie on this long list. Bravo!

Reactions: Dan1911
Sergeant York
Horse Soldiers
Elmer Gantry
Exodus
Rio Bravo
Ivanhoe
They Were Expendable
Robin Hood (Errol Flynn)
They Died with Their Boots On
Charge of the Light Brigade
The Man who Would be King
And there isn’t one bad movie on this list either. I’m assuming the author is also a John Ford fan. To The Man Who Would Be King, I would add one more Kipling inspired movie: Gunga Din.

• Love
Reactions: FreeportPanther
Two “auteur” movies by directors who had a nitch in which they created wonderful movies, but that niche also limited the number of good movies they could create.

For me, these are both must see movies.

“Local Hero”: Directed by Bill Forsyth who also directed “Gregory’s Girl.” Stars Burt Lancaster and Peter Riegert plus Forsyth’s Scottish troop of regulars. IMO one of the best 100 movies ever made and the last good movie Forsyth ever made. When he was making “small” movies about Scotland, he never made a bad one. Then, he came to America and has never done a good one.

“Barcelona”: Directed by Whit Stillman. Based loosely on his personal experience in Barcelona in the late 1980s, when anti-Americanism was
high there. A love Ode to the city with that anti-American undercurrent. E.g., Back then many pseudo-intellectuals in Barcelona believed the AFL-CIO was a spy organization offshoot of the CIA. But, the city itself is portrayed so beautifully it made me want to visit it, and now 28 years later I live in Barcelona. One of many reasons to watch it: It’s Mira Sorvino’s first movie and she is briefly naked.

“Casablanca” which has been mentioned is simply the best movie ever made. It’s too bad many people refuse to watch it because it is in B&W.

I would tell him to watch every John Ford movie ever made, but if I had to pick two they would be:

“Young Mr. Lincoln,” starring Henry Fonda as a young Abe Lincoln just starting to practice law in Illinois. There has never been a last 45 seconds of a movie as good or as inspiring as the end of it.

“The Grapes of Wrath,” also starring Fonda in the adaptation of John Steinbeck’s classic novel. Fonda is terrific but so is everyone in the cast.

Other great John Ford movies which haven’t been mentioned here I don’t think:

The Searchers
Fort Apache
Rio Grande
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon
How Green Was My Valley
The Long Grey Line
The Quiet Man
My Darling Clementine
The Horse Soldiers
Mr. Roberts
The Long Voyage Home
Cheyenne Autumn
I am a huge John Ford fan also and have most every movie you mentioned in my library. A few more I have are:

Wagonmaster
The Lost patrol
The Informer
Seargeant Rutledge
3 Godfathers
Mary Of Scotland
Stagecoach
Drums Along The Mohawk
Wings of Eagles

Young Mr Lincoln and Grapes of Wrath are outstanding, but my two favs are My Darling Clementine and How Green Was My Valley ( such a young Roddy McDowall). He collaberated with Henry Fonda and John Wayne, along with his "stock company" of actors with some great films.

I also have dozens of John Wayne, Henry Fonda, Jimmy Stewart, Clint Eastwood, along with some Humphrey Bogart, and more old westerns from the 50's and 60's to mention. I highly recommend Audie Murphy as well.

Nice list Mike!!

Last edited:
And there isn’t one bad movie on this list either. I’m assuming the author is also a John Ford fan. To The Man Who Would Be King, I would add one more Kipling inspired movie: Gunga Din.
A good litmus test is no matter how many times you've seen the movie, if it's on, you HAVE to watch it again!

You are right about the end of Young Mr. Lincoln. It stirs the spirit.
Plus the scene in Casablanca where the bar patrons sing the French National Anthem to drown out the Nazis.

Gets me every time!!

They Live

I mean, come on. Greatest fight scene ever, extremely quotable, and if nothing else, freaking Rowdy Roddy Piper!
Saw it in the theater and my friend and we beat each other up outside we were so pumped! Love this movie!

Last edited:
Reactions: pittdan77
Strange brew
The Last Dragon
Big Trouble In Little China
Convoy
Super fuzz

Some fantastic choices here. Especially like seeing folks suggest The Thing, They Live, Diner, Breaking Away and The Pope of Greenwich Village.

Here are a couple that weren't mentioned: Full Metal Jacket, Blazing Saddles and a guilty pleasure of a movie - Can't Buy Me Love with Patrick Dempsey.

Some fantastic choices here. Especially like seeing folks suggest The Thing, They Live, Diner, Breaking Away and The Pope of Greenwich Village.

Here are a couple that weren't mentioned: Full Metal Jacket, Blazing Saddles and a guilty pleasure of a movie - Can't Buy Me Love with Patrick Dempsey.
Blazing Saddles 50th Anniversary. Coming to a theatre near you in September '24.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT