Most of the ones I thought of have already been listed. Here are some more:

The Caine Mutiny
Midnight Express
Thief
To Live and Die in LA
The Long Riders
Blood Simple

Wow! Thank you to all.
This was a fantastic thread and I'm saving it.
All of you just solved one of my life's many issues, trying to choose a movie with the gf. A lot of time we simple give up.

Wow! Thank you to all.
This was a fantastic thread and I'm saving it.
All of you just solved one of my life's many issues, trying to choose a movie with the gf. A lot of time we simple give up.
Maybe the problem is the "choice" of gf and not the choice of film. My gal of 30+ years will go with "The Equalizer 7" over "Mamma Mia" every day of the week and has already reminded three times this morning that the latest episode of "Reacher" dropped today...

Maybe the problem is the "choice" of gf and not the choice of film. My gal of 30+ years will go with "The Equalizer 7" over "Mamma Mia" every day of the week and has already reminded three times this morning that the latest episode of "Reacher" dropped today...
That's my wife as well. In fact we wanted to watch a movie last night so we looked and saw nothing new we wanted to see. So I said to choose and she was immediate with Predator.

Magnificent 7 is a good one too. Remake of the Japanese classic the 7 Samurai. All Star cast.

I would like to compile a list of movies for my son. He is 25. My mission is to compile a top ten list of essential "regular guy" films that he has not likely watched that line up with films I may have watched and enjoyed up and until the age of 25.

Parameters are as follows:

Pre 1990 release
No major blockbusters aka Jaws, Star Wars, Top Gun etc.
No common popular 'classic' types like Caddyshack, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Animal House etc.
Preferably a film that was under the radar or gained some popularity after the fact or was even a flop.

The first ones off the top of my head to point you in the right direction.

Kelly's Heroes
The Thing (Kurt Russell 1982 version)
The Great Santini

Any suggestions?
The great Santini was a great book but terrible movie. Duvall who I love was miscast in that role

The great Santini was a great book but terrible movie. Duvall who I love was miscast in that role
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences disagreed...I do agree with the book review as I would put Pat Conroy on my personal Mt. Rushmore of authors ...

Yeah, I don't know.
What was wrong with Duval's performance?? I thought he nailed it.
It wasn't a terrible movie. Terribly sad, but not bad.
i read the book first and just got a much different perception of the character Bull Meecham. Hard ass, hard drinking marine, tough on the wife and kids, everything has to be perfect, and well Duvall didnt portray those traits IMO.

he was much more likable in the movie than the book and i think that took away from the movie. honestly, it could be just one of those situations where i read book first, then saw movie and was just dissapointed. that's the situation most of the time in those scenarios..

again, im a huge Duval fan..

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences disagreed...I do agree with the book review as I would put Pat Conroy on my personal Mt. Rushmore of authors ...
i loved "The lords of discipline" book and was really dissapointed in the movie..

Die Hard-Best Christmas Movie Ever!

[IMG]

I would also add(In No Particular Order):

Goodfellas
The Godfather Parts 1 & 2
Do The Right Thing
The Breakfast Club
High Plains Drifter(Clint Eastwood Western with a Demonic Supernatural Component)

The Long Riders(A Western created by Stacy & Frank Keach on the Jesse James Cole Younger Gang, which I recently watched as I was a fan of Stacy Keach, who played Ken ‘Papa’ Titus in what I thought was the Funniest Darkest Sitcom ever made, Titus, based on the Real Life Dysfunctional Family of Comedian, Christopher Titus that was pulled from Fox despite their 2nd Best Ratings after The Simpsons during it’s 3 Seasons 1999-2001, as it was probably so dark that it crossed the line too much for Network Television, as it should have been on FX, which paved the way for Edgier TV Series during the Early 2000s)

Halloween(although if you take away the Music, it really is not that scary of a Movie, but like in several other cases, the Music can make a Movie Good or even Great)

Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade
Gremlins & Gremlins 2
Back To The Future(1, 2 & 3)
Once Upon a Time in America
Slap Shot
Alien & Aliens
Raging Bull
The Outsiders
Big
Pale Rider
The Omen & The Omen 2
The Deer Hunter
Taxi Driver
Rocky & Rocky 2
Pee Wee’s Big Adventure
Hoosiers
Suspiria(Original)
Chinatown
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
The Wickerman(Christopher Lee mentioned it was his Favorite Movie, that he was a part of with a major role)

The Shining(Stephen King understandably hated it, as the Director, Kubrick veered away from King’s Book and the Original Development of Jack Torrance’s Alcoholism leading to his descent into Madness, but if you take Kubrick’s Shining as it’s own thing, it is still a Great Horror Movie)

Rain Man(Tom Cruise at his Best-IMO, or tied with A Few Good Men, but that is a Post 1990 Movie)

The Sergio Leone Trilogy(A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good, The Bad & The Ugly), which I only discovered a few years ago after doing a deep dive into the Music of Ennio Morricone, who did the Soundtracks to those Movies

You could include most James Bond Movies prior to 1990, although a few are better than others

My Favorite Movies are from the 1990s, but since 1990 was your Cut Off Year, sorry I cannot list them. Although, since Scorsese did a Remake For Cape Fear with De Niro, that was based on an Older Original Movie, which I found more boring, I guess that I could include the Scorsese Remake here that was from the Early 1990s, as it was much more intense compared to the Original Version, which I recently saw for the first time.. I would say the same thing about the Remake of 3:10 To Yuma, as I think the 2007 Version with Christian Bale & Russell Crowe was more entertaining than the Original Version, which I saw last year for the first time, when a Network was showing Old Western Movies

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT