ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: penguins

Columbus blows 3 on 0 right in front of the net. WHAT were they thinking?? Didn't even get a shot on Murray!

Murray makes HUGE save on short handed try. What is up with the shorties this year??

Keep piling up the points, need to move up, get a better draw in the playoffs.

Good thing we got two spare D men. They're dropping like flies.
Trotman with a strong effort tonight. He will be back to WBS once Gudbranson arrives, but he was solid tonight.

Reactions: gary2
No, Champions with a 2 goal lead and on a power play with less than 2 minutes to go in the game, do not give up the chance our Champions gave up. Only Careless, mindless teams do that.
Yeah, dumb penalty right on cue just like Saturday gave CBJ a power play. Thankfully Murray made a big save.

You know with the SHGs given up it’s inexcusable. However, when was the last time Murray or DeSmith had saved an opportunity before tonight?

The problem is that the Pens PP is very predictable and the point guys are not great at preventing the puck from leaving the zone when the other team charges them. Fortunately I think tonight was just an unlucky bounce on a rookie defenseman and we will see this area tighten up.

I don’t know. Did Ruwedel come back after that jerkoff hit him? Trotman May have to stay.
That’s a good point. No, I don’t believe Ruhwedel came back. Rust also hurt and didn’t return. Guys are dropping like flies right now.

Nice response from a crushing defeat.

Let’s see if they can build on it

Malkin has been playing very well which is good news

The key will be Murr. If he can be more consistent and avoid the deflating bad goals they could finish very strong.

Schedule I actually pretty favorable.

Carolina and Montreal both with blowout wins, so Carolina technically moves into 3rd in the Metro at 74, MTL in the first wild card at 75, the Pens in the 2nd WC spot at 74 and Columbus on the outside at 73.

Reactions: Noah Bonner
That’s a good point. No, I don’t believe Ruhwedel came back. Rust also hurt and didn’t return. Guys are dropping like flies right now.

On the plus side, if Malkin plays like he did last night and ZAR takes note they’ll be able to live without Rust in the short term.

Right now I don’t think they plan for Letang to be out much longer either.

Some opinions ......

- Really big and nice win for the Pens against Columbus last night especially with the depleted defensive core.

- Except for some stretches in the 2nd period, I thought we played very well especially in getting pucks out of our defensive zone with good puck retrieval, good support by the forwards/center, good 1st passes, etc..... this helped decrease the number of shots on goal against us.

- McCann's two goals were big .... really like his game right now.

- So far, I like McCann and Bjugstad more then Brassard and Sheahan.

- Trotman played a solid game under difficult circumstances ..... he has good size, decent skater, played a solid game positionally, and mostly made good 1st passes in his zone ..... he also did some penalty killing .... not bad for being thrown into a big game like that.

- We got balanced/depth scoring from the 1st three lines last night.

- Murray played very well ...... on the 1st goal, Ruhwedel didn't close the gap fast enough on the shooter who then got off a relatively high danger shot beating Murray who was in good position over the glove hand ..... it was a somewhat difficult save although I thought maybe he was going to make that save ...... the 2nd goal Murray had no chance ...... of course, the great save he made late in the game with the score 4-2 on the pass across and point blank one timer sealed the win ..... great save ! ..... if Murray plays like he did last night and we limit the number of shots on goal as we did last night, it will help us to win a lot games.

- Jack Johnson has been playing much better lately ..... had another excellent game last night combining well with Schultz.

- Will have to see extent of injuries to Rust and Ruhwedel ...... hopefully, they along with Letang, Dumoulin, and Maatta will be back sooner then later.

- Crosby's line was good again and Hornqvist looked a little more like himself last night.

- Malkin playing much better ......hopefully, Kessel starts scoring soon (I thought he at least played a little better defensively last night) .... ZAR complimenting that line well so far.

- On to Buffalo Friday !

Reactions: Noah Bonner
Some opinions ......

- Really big and nice win for the Pens against Columbus last night especially with the depleted defensive core.

- Except for some stretches in the 2nd period, I thought we played very well especially in getting pucks out of our defensive zone with good puck retrieval, good support by the forwards/center, good 1st passes, etc..... this helped decrease the number of shots on goal against us.

- McCann's two goals were big .... really like his game right now.

- So far, I like McCann and Bjugstad more then Brassard and Sheahan.

- Trotman played a solid game under difficult circumstances ..... he has good size, decent skater, played a solid game positionally, and mostly made good 1st passes in his zone ..... he also did some penalty killing .... not bad for being thrown into a big game like that.

- We got balanced/depth scoring from the 1st three lines last night.

- Murray played very well ...... on the 1st goal, Ruhwedel didn't close the gap fast enough on the shooter who then got off a relatively high danger shot beating Murray who was in good position over the glove hand ..... it was a somewhat difficult save although I thought maybe he was going to make that save ...... the 2nd goal Murray had no chance ...... of course, the great save he made late in the game with the score 4-2 on the pass across and point blank one timer sealed the win ..... great save ! ..... if Murray plays like he did last night and we limit the number of shots on goal as we did last night, it will help us to win a lot games.

- Jack Johnson has been playing much better lately ..... had another excellent game last night combining well with Schultz.

- Will have to see extent of injuries to Rust and Ruhwedel ...... hopefully, they along with Letang, Dumoulin, and Maatta will be back sooner then later.

- Crosby's line was good again and Hornqvist looked a little more like himself last night.

- Malkin playing much better ......hopefully, Kessel starts scoring soon (I thought he at least played a little better defensively last night) .... ZAR complimenting that line well so far.

- On to Buffalo Friday !
I thought after their 2 goals, we were sure to lose. We were getting pushed around like crazy. They were physically overpowering us. I don't know how, but some way we were able to get things together for the third period. Even at that, he team played incredibly stupid near the end, that could have cost us the game: A three on none and a short hand chance with around 2 minutes to go.

I thought after their 2 goals, we were sure to lose. We were getting pushed around like crazy. They were physically overpowering us. I don't know how, but some way we were able to get things together for the third period. Even at that, he team played incredibly stupid near the end, that could have cost us the game: A three on none and a short hand chance with around 2 minutes to go.
Well, yeah.
BUT, we got 2 points. End of story.

Those were two bad plays and you have to try and cut down on those, but the bottom line is that overall we played a great game especially given the circumstances and were the better team last night.

Well, yeah.
BUT, we got 2 points. End of story.
Well for all intents and purposes, ‘2 pts end of story’ was ready to roll off the tongue last Saturday against the Flyers also and we know how that worked out.

Gary is correct, we can’t afford end of game shenanigans like yesterday, we were fortunate we didn’t get burned by them for a second game in a row.

Reactions: gary2
Bad news ..... Rust and Ruhwedel both are out "longer term" ...... Rust was on crutches and Ruhwedel in a sling after the game yesterday.

Bad news ..... Rust and Ruhwedel both are out "longer term" ...... Rust was on crutches and Ruhwedel in a sling after the game yesterday.
Keep being the recipient of questionable hits, you won't have a ream left.

Quit worrying about power plays, worry about your players.

Rutherford does, Sullivan doesn't.

Can someone explain why our PENS are folding up like a cheap tent in a windstorm?
Four key players injured in two games?
This has to be an indicator of something bad but I can't identify the problem.
I hope it's bad luck but I'm not sure.
Thanks!

Ron Cook?! That’s your hockey expert?

No, he simply posed a relevant question, if Sully wouldn’t play Reaves why would he play this guy? Goalieman gave you some of the relevant stats and that’s what was being reported after the trade. He and Johnson have some downright scary advanced stats for Dmen. There’s a reason Columbus sat JJ when it mattered most last year.

Last edited:
How were Justin Shultz’s stats in Edmonton? How about Matt Niskanen in Dallas? JJ was a bad signing from the word go. He’s 4 years older than Gudbranson. At the rate it’s going, Sullivan is not going to have a choice. Similarly he’s a lot further removed from the time he won a cup. Rutherford is not going to bring in a second enforcer at the trade deadline just to bench him. Reaves was acquired in the Summer.

How were Justin Shultz’s stats in Edmonton? How about Matt Niskanen in Dallas? JJ was a bad signing from the word go. He’s 4 years older than Gudbranson. At the rate it’s going, Sullivan is not going to have a choice.[/QUOTE

I believe Schultz was an UFA, if so, no real risk. Don’t recall the Niskanen situation. JJ was s bad signing from the geg go which is why you shouldn’t double down with another, more expensive guy with horrid stats. Again, I hope I’m proven wrong, but I think these signings are going to really compromise this team.

Basically a home game for the Pens in Columbus.
BBUcbbw.img

Young fans glom onto the Pens because they’ve been good for a significant portion of their lifetime. For fans 30 years old and younger they only ever saw 4 years of terrible hockey. That’s a staggering statistic.

Young fans glom onto the Pens because they’ve been good for a significant portion of their lifetime. For fans 30 years old and younger they only ever saw 4 years of terrible hockey. That’s a staggering statistic.
and they complain when they dont win the Stanley Cup every season and their goalie doesnt win the Vezina Trophy . Talk about a spoiled fan base.

Reactions: Jakey_John
Classic Crosby goal. Now up to Murray. Big 2 points in the balance.

Nice to see the scoring on the PP. Really miss Letang there.

Wow. This team is a disaster. Too fragile. Too soft. Too passive. Goaltending is awful. What the hell happened to Murray?

Team started playing not to lose in third, lost edge, and then the game.

Give Sabres credit for staying after it, unlike the Pens.

Questionable ref calls tonight. Penalty on Wilson was a phantom call resulting in a goal for Buffalo.

They’re going through the motions. Letang was playing hard. Malkin is playing hard but wrecklessly. Guentzel is playing hard. Rust was playing hard. Dumoulin was playing hard.

Kessel is beyond his expectation date. Hornqvist’s head probably looks like a scrambled egg omelette. I don’t I have to say anything about Murray.

If this team makes it to the playoffs they will last maybe six games, probably five.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT