ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: penguins

I did feel bad for Malkin. He was dead on his skates on that last shift. He put it all out there but got trapped on the ice. He plays hard but reckless is the perfect word for him. No excuse for a player in his 30's having so little hockey sense.

I actually thought they played pretty good tonight. Buffalo goalie really played a great game, and i never even heard of the guy before.

Since when can you go BOTH skates over the blue line before the puck crosses? Even if you have possession.

I did feel bad for Malkin. He was dead on his skates on that last shift. He put it all out there but got trapped on the ice. He plays hard but reckless is the perfect word for him. No excuse for a player in his 30's having so little hockey sense.

It’s also crazy that he runs so hot and cold too. When he’s on his one of the top players in the world. Then other times he might as well not be there.

I actually thought they played pretty good tonight. Buffalo goalie really played a great game, and i never even heard of the guy before.

Since when can you go BOTH skates over the blue line before the puck crosses? Even if you have possession.
Pens seem to face random goalies who manage to steal games for their teams.

Because that’s their job.
Plenty here forget that’s what goalies are supposed to do- steal games for their team.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
I’m one of Murray’s biggest supporters but you’re not going to find many right now. I think the best word to describe him is “fragile.” Someone referenced his dad before. Losing him at such a young age is going to mess with him for the rest of his life. He’s going to have to do SOMETHING to manage that and his career. Whatever it is hopefully it reignites it. As I tthink about it, it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to reach out to MAF.

Pens seem to face random goalies who manage to steal games for their teams.

Because that’s their job.
Plenty here forget that’s what goalies are supposed to do- steal games for their team.
This sums things up perfectly for the Penguins right now.
The team is battling due to injuries. Every night, they have to juggle lines and defense pairings to try to hold things together until they get healthier.

They have been doing that for the most part. They have scored and they have had late leads. How big of a lead does Murray need to win a game, especially late???

In baseball you have a stopper, when the team is going bad that guys comes in and throws a shutout and stops the bleeding.

In the Pens case, the stopper starts the bleeding! Souf is exactly right, a good/great goalie stands tall for their team at crunch time and shuts the opposition down.

I know that goalieman will come here and tell us what a great job Murray did on each of the goals he let in. He had his toe in the proper position, his head was turned just right, the crease in his sweater was sharp, blah, blah, blah.

None of those goals he let in was of the spectacular variety. Those saves have to be made in the last 3 minutes of a game, period!

Between him and Oscar Meyer, the opposition is getting all the help they need to beat this team. It's a shame because they won't get too many more chances to win with their core.

Looks like another big disappointment for Pittsburgh sports fans. If this team doesn't make the playoffs, it is a worse story than the Steelers!

The team is battling due to injuries. Every night, they have to juggle lines and defense pairings to try to hold things together until they get healthier.

They have been doing that for the most part. They have scored and they have had late leads. How big of a lead does Murray need to win a game, especially late???

In baseball you have a stopper, when the team is going bad that guys comes in and throws a shutout and stops the bleeding.

In the Pens case, the stopper starts the bleeding! Souf is exactly right, a good/great goalie stands tall for their team at crunch time and shuts the opposition down.

I know that goalieman will come here and tell us what a great job Murray did on each of the goals he let in. He had his toe in the proper position, his head was turned just right, the crease in his sweater was sharp, blah, blah, blah.

None of those goals he let in was of the spectacular variety. Those saves have to be made in the last 3 minutes of a game, period!

Between him and Oscar Meyer, the opposition is getting all the help they need to beat this team. It's a shame because they won't get too many more chances to win with their core.

Looks like another big disappointment for Pittsburgh sports fans. If this team doesn't make the playoffs, it is a worse story than the Steelers!

It is obvious in this offseason the Pens need to:
1) bring in a competent vet goalie who can push Murray
2) Change goalie coaches. I don't know but since MM has gotten his guy in there, he has been more lackadaisical.

I know he has to play better. Obviously. I know he can. But part of me really just think this year, it just is not happening. It is not working.

They have 18 games left, best not to live and die by each game.

Theyre 6 points out of first. Relax.

It is obvious in this offseason the Pens need to:
1) bring in a competent vet goalie who can push Murray
2) Change goalie coaches. I don't know but since MM has gotten his guy in there, he has been more lackadaisical.

I know he has to play better. Obviously. I know he can. But part of me really just think this year, it just is not happening. It is not working.
It is so sad to see this happening to Crosby.
The effort is amazing. That backcheck he pulled off was insane. Plus clearing the puck from behind the net by flipping it up in the air and out of the zone. Those little things that no one notices are what makes him a superstar.

Seeing him net that goal by adjusting and firing it high while falling down, then watching Kessel miss great chance after great chance is flattening!

All of that, and the in crunch time, with those valuable 2 points in the palm of their hand, the goalie chokes them away!

So, so sad!

They have 18 games left, best not to live and die by each game.

Theyre 6 points out of first. Relax.
Unfortunately, the team has relaxed. Especially in the final minutes of games they are leading.

The teams they have to climb over are winning their "must win" games. But yeah, relax.

Nothing is a must win with this many games left.

Beat Columbus the team is great. Lose in overtime to Buffalo, the team is terrible.

They are 6 points out of 1st with 18 games left.

It is so sad to see this happening to Crosby.
The effort is amazing. That backcheck he pulled off was insane. Plus clearing the puck from behind the net by flipping it up in the air and out of the zone. Those little things that no one notices are what makes him a superstar.

Seeing him net that goal by adjusting and firing it high while falling down, then watching Kessel miss great chance after great chance is flattening!

All of that, and the in crunch time, with those valuable 2 points in the palm of their hand, the goalie chokes them away!

So, so sad!

There's one thing though, he needs to shoot more. He's so good, sometimes I think we leave goals out there by Sid passing up a shot to try and set up someone else. Case in point, last night he was in prime snipe position and he waits and finds Jack Johnson coming late. Now it was a good scoring chance, the goalie made a great save, but I would rather him trying save a Crosby shot than a Jack Johnson shot. I know that is nitpicking, but right now, they need to make simple plays.

Why I just think either things are bad this year or it is just an unlucky streak, the Malkin shot, my god 99 out of 100 times that shot is buried to make it 4-2, and it hits the goalie in the helmet. And it was great to see Kessel get 7 shots on goal, but you can see his confidence just isn't there as normal shots that are aimed at corners are hitting the goalie square in the chest pad.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
Four key problems with the guys who are on the ice not to mention we need the guys who are off the ice back asap.

Malkin is a talented, impulsive, undisciplined, hockey machine, with little common sense or strategic knowledge of the game of hockey. Plus his English is terrible?

Kessel is lost and couldn't hit a hockey net from 10 ft at this time. He'd hit the post.

Murray is looking behind him for the guy dressed in a white suit with the large butterfly net. Trouble between the ears and the PENS have trouble between the pipes.

Hornquist finally got a goal or he's be in the waiting line to be committed to an institution immediately after they finish processing Murray.

Plus Sully doesn't appear to have much patience so who knows where he goes down the stretch with this group.

On the lighter side, does anyone ever watch or read about Gritty? The Flyers suck but he’s awesome. Reminds me of a grown up Cookie Monster.

Actually No we are Not.. We lose tie breakers with every team In front of Us.. Those teams in front of us Play each other 1/2 times more, that’s guaranteed 2 points for one of them.. Try and read more and post less about things you don’t understand..

And one of those teams has to lose. Come back under a different handle in late March Einstein.

There's one thing though, he needs to shoot more. He's so good, sometimes I think we leave goals out there by Sid passing up a shot to try and set up someone else. Case in point, last night he was in prime snipe position and he waits and finds Jack Johnson coming late. Now it was a good scoring chance, the goalie made a great save, but I would rather him trying save a Crosby shot than a Jack Johnson shot. I know that is nitpicking, but right now, they need to make simple plays.

Why I just think either things are bad this year or it is just an unlucky streak, the Malkin shot, my god 99 out of 100 times that shot is buried to make it 4-2, and it hits the goalie in the helmet. And it was great to see Kessel get 7 shots on goal, but you can see his confidence just isn't there as normal shots that are aimed at corners are hitting the goalie square in the chest pad.
Sometimes I think it’s part of wearing the “C”.

I'm not concerned.
They're in 9th spot one spot out of the play-offs.
We have a goalie fighting demons,three other experienced players look like they just started playing NHL hockey, and a list of injured players that's approaching two pages.

And the PENS coach Sullivan looks like he's ready to hit the Irish Whiskey prior to the clock hitting zero.zero.

Were you concerned when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor???

Sorry my "goalie posts" offend you but just to be clear I don't come on here to back Murray ....... When "Souf" started talking about Murray's poor play last year, I was one of the first to agree with him based on my observations of Murray during games, watching tape after games, analyzing stats and especially advanced stats and again agreed that Murray was playing poorly earlier this year ..... when he started playing better in December I noted that and backed it up by the same kind of analysis ...... I talked about his inconsistency and multiple other issues with him and what I thought he needed to do to get better and that we needed him to play better to make the playoffs and go anywhere in the SCP's ...... however, if other issues also are not improved on this team, it is not going to make any difference how well our goalies play.

But enough, I'll let the goalie analysis to an expert like yourself.

Sorry my "goalie posts" offend you but just to be clear I don't come on here to back Murray ....... When "Souf" started talking about Murray's poor play last year, I was one of the first to agree with him based on my observations of Murray during games, watching tape after games, analyzing stats and especially advanced stats and again agreed that Murray was playing poorly earlier this year ..... when he started playing better in December I noted that and backed it up by the same kind of analysis ...... I talked about his inconsistency and multiple other issues with him and what I thought he needed to do to get better and that we needed him to play better to make the playoffs and go anywhere in the SCP's ...... however, if other issues also are not improved on this team, it is not going to make any difference how well our goalies play.

But enough, I'll let the goalie analysis to an expert like yourself.
Please chill. I don't have any issue with any of your posts.
My point was no matter how technically sound Murray may or may not be, it doesn't really matter if the puck ends up behind him.

He may be getting good angles, coming out when it's proper, positioning himself properly relative to the post, etc. but if the puck continues to go into the net in crucial situations, it's all for not.

At crunch time, the goalie has to step up and win the game. He's the most important guy on the team in those situations. I don't know what's going on with him, but he isn't getting it done.

It was not my intention to offend you, that was far from my intent, so if I did I apologize.
My point was we need our goalie to win these close games and quit allowing late leads to dissolve. Right now he isn't doing that, no matter how technically sound he may or may not be.

Please chill. I don't have any issue with any of your posts.
My point was no matter how technically sound Murray may or may not be, it doesn't really matter if the puck ends up behind him.

He may be getting good angles, coming out when it's proper, positioning himself properly relative to the post, etc. but if the puck continues to go into the net in crucial situations, it's all for not.

At crunch time, the goalie has to step up and win the game. He's the most important guy on the team in those situations. I don't know what's going on with him, but he isn't getting it done.

It was not my intention to offend you, that was far from my intent, so if I did I apologize.
My point was we need our goalie to win these close games and quit allowing late leads to dissolve. Right now he isn't doing that, no matter how technically sound he may or may not be.

No worries ..... we're good.

Murray is a giant issue. Bigger yet, how big was the biggest winning streak and when was it? Most of if not all of the teams directly ahead and behind the Pens have had pretty major streaks at some point of the season. Off the top of my head Carolina and Montreal are the hottest right now and both Buffalo and Philadelphia have had double digit winning streaks. The last time the Pens came close to that was before Christmas. They’re not done yet and hopefully next month I’m saying the same.

Reactions: Noah Bonner
Edmonton with a big win over c-bus today.

Having seen Columbus a lot this season I would not guarantee they’re the ones who get in over the Pens. Even after the trade deadline they have not looked like they inspire much confidence in their fan base.

Big game against Habs tonight.
Pittsburgh sports scene has been awful lately, lets win this one.
Mrs Buffett and I have our PENS stuff on, just fired up Direct TV Center Ice, PENS friends with their PENS stuff on are grabbing some Yuengling bottles, and we're ready to settle in for some screaming, yelling GO PENS, and a win!

IMO this is the definitive game that decides if the PENS are winners or losers.
Kessel needs to get his head out of his a-s, Malkin must produce, and Murray needs a clear head!

And our guys have to stop going down like flies in a Fan Factory!

Go PENS!

Mrs Buffett and I have our PENS stuff on, just fired up Direct TV Center Ice, PENS friends grabbing some Yuengling bottles, and we're ready to settle in for some screaming, yelling GO PENS, and a win!
where do you live , what city ?

Last edited:
Mrs Buffett and I have our PENS stuff on, just fired up Direct TV Center Ice, PENS friends with their PENS stuff on are grabbing some Yuengling bottles, and we're ready to settle in for some screaming, yelling GO PENS, and a win!

IMO this is the definitive game that decides if the PENS are winners or losers.
Kessel needs to get his head out of his a-s, Malkin must produce, and Murray needs a clear head!

And our guys have to stop going down like flies in a Fan Factory!

Go PENS!

Why yuengling?

Reactions: PittCity
Steely had an alcohol related transgression shortly after his inception. The negative publicity that came with it more or less derailed him. Hockey on the whole is better at being family friendly anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT