ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pirates

I only ask because I wonder what threshold you use to boycott a team that, presumably, isn’t prioritizing winning.
I dunno Ski, do you think Pitt fans essentially boycotting the basketball team in Stallings second season helped grease the wheels for his rapid departure? So in this instance at least, it might have had an effect and was for the best??

I dunno Ski, do you think Pitt fans essentially boycotting the basketball team in Stallings second season helped grease the wheels for his rapid departure? So in this instance at least, it might have had an effect and was for the best??

That's a fair point. I feel pretty comfortable agreeing it sped up his departure.

Reactions: bobfree
Nice start
16 games but starting pitching has been lights out....
Also missing several everyday players.

Coming home finally, it will be interesting to see if anybody shows up at the park.

I love all the “it’s only April” posts, because the same posters would 100% be obliterating the team if their record was reversed.

It did. I was proven right. It’s a long season and posters are ready to pounce saying “collapse!”
And they'd be right.
Pathetic offense. Only once all season have they scored more than 5 runs in a game.
Pitching starting to show cracks. Taillon (ace) pitching batting practice.

And they'd be right.
Pathetic offense. Only once all season have they scored more than 5 runs in a game.
Pitching starting to show cracks. Taillon (ace) pitching batting practice.

Okay. Cool. And if they turn around and win 5 in a row will you be here?

I doubt it. You’ll be waiting for the next losing streak to jump in and say gotcha.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead

I doubt it. You’ll be waiting for the next losing streak to jump in and say gotcha.

There is something wrong with your profile. It says you have 14,573 posts, but it is clear that you are new here.

IF, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, every day would be Christmas!

History is on my side. I'll be here all year. No reason to wait. Let's compare notes in September.

Nutting lapper!

Worst owner in baseball. Irrefutable fact.

Thousands upon thousands of empty seats at PNC are on MY side, the side of truth.

This post didn't age well.
Heading to LA, look out below!!!
About as long as it took to post it....

0-2 in LA then to Texas.

When they’re home they will be playing in front of 1,200 people.
Nutting killed baseball after dismantling the 98 win team but doesn’t give a diddlers diddly....
He’ll take the payroll as low as he has to to hit his number, and show up around town when the Pirates build those fields for children with needs.

The season is so long but even at full strength does anyone really think this team can play 50/50 ball over the next 135

Reactions: PittPanthers90
Once again, lack of baseball basics reared its ugly head last night.

A veteran player (Cabrera), decides to throw home to get the runner tagging from third and allows the go ahead run to move into scoring position. Ball was hit too deep. He didn't have a chance to get the guy at home. Poor decision by a vet.

Tucker has the go ahead run hung out to dry 5 feet in front of him and decides to throw to first. Makes a low throw to first but Bell should have caught it. A little more of a bang bang play for Tucker but he has to see that guy in front of him and cut down the go ahead run.

I am OK with Hurdle's decision to leave Musgrove in the game. It was his to win or lose. He lost.

A veteran player (Cabrera), decides to throw home to get the runner tagging from third and allows the go ahead run to move into scoring position. Ball was hit too deep. He didn't have a chance to get the guy at home. Poor decision by a vet.

Tucker has the go ahead run hung out to dry 5 feet in front of him and decides to throw to first. Makes a low throw to first but Bell should have caught it. A little more of a bang bang play for Tucker but he has to see that guy in front of him and cut down the go ahead run.

I am OK with Hurdle's decision to leave Musgrove in the game. It was his to win or lose. He lost.
This has been discussed here but the Pirates player development must be the worst. A good place for Nutting to go on the cheap as well apparently.

These bonehead moves appear year after year.....Palonco had one so bad a yr or two ago it was funnier than anything in the movie “ Major League “....
And Marte is the dumbest baseball player I think I’ve ever seen.

You’re so right. If Cabrera doesn’t throw to home, Tucker would’ve had a routine double play there. Step on second, throw to first. Then they can’t get even one run in with bases loaded and nobody out. God awful!

Hope Ski alerts us when the 5 game winning streak is coming. I'd sure hate to miss that!
If it happens, they'd still be 2 games under .500 though.
PATHETIC offense crushing really good starting pitching.
With Nutting and Co. you always get 1/2 a loaf, if that.

Loaf is probably the wrong term, more like crouton! LOLOLOLOL

Hope Ski alerts us when the 5 game winning streak is coming. I'd sure hate to miss that!
If it happens, they'd still be 2 games under .500 though.
PATHETIC offense crushing really good starting pitching.
With Nutting and Co. you always get 1/2 a loaf, if that.

Loaf is probably the wrong term, more like crouton! LOLOLOLOL
Not just pathetic offense, but pathetic defense too. But hey, there is that financial flexibility that most teams strive for.

Not just pathetic offense, but pathetic defense too. But hey, there is that financial flexibility that most teams strive for.
croutons.jpg

This is baseball you win some, you lose some, streaks either way are normal, the Pirates were in first place for a few minutes, they might be in last place for another minute or two, they'll go on a win streak, shoot up the standing to second place, only to lose a few and end up in fourth place, they win 5 and are again in first place.

The objective is when the music stops to be able to find a chair, and be sitting in a play-off chair.

Mrs Buffett and I will arrive in Pittsburgh for the Atlanta series in June, Cubs series the first week of Ju-ly and maybe the Phillies mid month.
I predict an upswing at that time since the Pirates win series when we visit the ballpark???

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Last edited:
That cole tucker sure is a phenom struggling to stay above the Mendoza line

When you come up from the minors make it just a quiet happy day!
Not a media event!

This ( up and a big down) always happens when they have a media event when they bring up a kid from the minors. It's a simple call up.

His mother was interviewed after his first game when he closed his eyes, took a big swing, and Shazamm hit the ball for a HR.

Since that time he couldn't figure out what base to throw the ball to and his batting avg is .189.
He'll be good as long as he settled back to being a new kid on the baseball block and establishes himself and shows some consistent baseball hitting and fielding skills.

A HR on your first Major League at bat is usually a sign bad times are coming!

A sign of the times the mother speaking for these millennial kids!

I believe Marte is under contract for 2 more years. They should be seeing if he’s amenable to an extension of a couple years, but they probably won’t.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT