ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Super Bowl Claim

TFBaum

Junior
Jan 22, 2020
They keep claiming that the TB Bucs are the first team to host the super when the Steeler played the Rams in 1980 is was played in the Rose Bowl. I guess the Rams played in the coliseum. To me that is cutting hairs.

They keep claiming that the TB Bucs are the first team to host the super when the Steeler played the Rams in 1980 is was played in the Rose Bowl. I guess the Rams played in the coliseum. To me that is cutting hairs.
Sure it's the same metro area but the Rose Bowl wasn't the Rams home stadium, same with the 49ers playing Super Bowl XIX at Stanford Stadium. Also a team "hosting" a Super Bowl really didn't become a thing until the mid-90's when the owners wanted a bigger piece of the pie when a Super Bowl was at their stadium.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Didnt the Rams play in Anaheim? That's 50 miles south of Pasadena. Same media market, sure but that's really not even close to the Bucs playing in their home stadium.
1979 was the Rams last season at the Coliseum, they moved out to Anaheim in 1980.

Didnt the Rams play in Anaheim? That's 50 miles south of Pasadena. Same media market, sure but that's really not even close to the Bucs playing in their home stadium.
They originally played in the Colosseum. Now they play at SOFI Field in Inglewood, which they share with the Chargers.

The Rose Bowl was not the Ram’s home field. Pretty simple.
Okay you are right the non rush hour drive from where they played to the Rose bowl 30 minutes yep really simple how stupid of me to think instead of a media market. I am sure all the LA Rams fans didn’t travel because it wasn’t the home stadium.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Please for the love of sanity drive those two points it is a 40 minute drive. The OC feeds LA everyday.

Okay you are right the non rush hour drive from where they played to the Rose bowl 30 minutes yep really simple how stupid of me to think instead of a media market. I am sure all the LA Rams fans didn’t travel because it wasn’t the home stadium.
If I remember right Steeler fans outnumbered Rams fans that day.

• Haha
Reactions: TFBaum and cease10
Super Bowls 2, 3, 5 and 10 were in Miami. Dolphins played in SB 6, 7 and 8. Dispels the theory that when two objects keep moving within a confined space a collision is inevitable.

It will be good for Bucs to be in familiar environs but I wonder if this loses some of the Super Bowl luster for them

If I remember right Steeler fans outnumbered Rams fans that day.
LA is a horrible sport town. In laws went to UCLA and have season tickets so I got to go to a game at the Rose Bowl. UCLA versus Poke State. There were almost as many Poke State fans as UCLA. On an aside note it was really cool seeing Pitt’s name at the stadium along with Washington and Jefferson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT