ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick Mahomes

So I bet if they lose it’s all on him right? But they win and he has nothing to do with it...

He now won a super bowl. I said all along, he wins super bowl and he starts moving into the talk. These days you need lots of substance to start getting the HOF or one of the best. Nothing wrong with expecting a SB. I don’t think he had a great game, he was good, but hill, the RB, the defense, Reid was amazing, and Shanahan being dumb got the win.

There's no "starts moving into the talk." He's there already. Just accept it.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
He now won a super bowl. I said all along, he wins super bowl and he starts moving into the talk. These days you need lots of substance to start getting the HOF or one of the best. Nothing wrong with expecting a SB. I don’t think he had a great game, he was good, but hill, the RB, the defense, Reid was amazing, and Shanahan being dumb got the win.
So everyone but Mahomes won that game for KC?

He's doing all he can to avoid giving Mahomes due credit.
I mean, I don't care one way or the other about Mahomes or really any other NFL player that I have no rooting ties to, but it's undeniable that he's top shelf. He had a bad game last night (much of which was due to the relentless pressure the Niners put on him) and much of the time wasn't very sharp even in the 4th quarter, but he made the plays that needed to be made when he needed to make them to win the biggest game in football. That's what separates good QBs from great ones. Not to mention leading his team there by his stellar play all season.

He was mediocre to lousy all game until late, but no one watching thought they were out of it because of his abilities. Amazing how the great ones can turn it on late like that.

The Chiefs line was going 0-5 in their one-on-one matchups all night. He had no time to throw at all. If you switched QBs, the 9ers/Mahomes combo would have won 52-7. Mahomes was the best player on the field and it wasn't close.

Reactions: CougarClaws

He was literally NFL MVP in his first year as a starter. Is that not enough "substance?"

Yeah, he didn't have a "great" game because he went up against the best defense in the NFL and they beat the hell out of his OL. He had no time to pass all night. But he still had 315 yards and 3 TDs. If you gave him the 49ers and put Jimmy G on the Chiefs, Mahomes would have won by 5 touchdowns.

Please stop with your take that Mahomes is average or whatever. You look like a boob when you do that.

Last edited:
He was literally NFL MVP in his first year as a starter. Is that not enough "substance?"

Yeah, he didn't have a "great" game because he went up against the best defense in the NFL and they beat the hell out of his OL. He had no time to pass all night. But he still had 315 yards and 3 TDs. If you gave him the 49ers and put Jimmy G on the Chiefs, Mahomes would have won by 5 touchdowns.

Please stop with your take that Mahomes is average or whatever. You look like a boob when you do that.

Late in the 4th - his pass blocking did become much more effective. Prior to that, he had a DL in his face on 75% of plays.

Just repeating what's been said, PM is truly amazing. I love watching the guy play. His arm angles with accuracy are so fun to watch, plus his elusiveness. Doubt he plays as long as Brady, but he could be this generation of QB's best.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Lotta bad takes in this thread.
Wonder if the guy who said Mahomes "lacked substance" after winning 1 SB and 1 league MVP is satisfied with another SB appearance, 1 more SB and 1 more league MVP (plus a 1st team all pro and 2nd team all pro)?

Dude is 6 years into his career and has basically already surpassed Peyton Manning lmao.

There were many future stars who had one really solid year only to suck later when teams figured them out or they came back down to reality. Brock Ostweiler and his gigantic payday after a solid year or two of playing. Recent star in the making turned nonstop. Look where he is now.

I say, put in 5 solid years before you crown him the next Marino, Manning, or list a number of greats.
Let’s check in.

2 MVPs. 2 Super Bowls. 2 Super Bowl MVPs.

I think it might be an insult to Mahommes at this point to compare him to Marino. Dude had a first ballot HOF resume already.

Let’s check in.

2 MVPs. 2 Super Bowls. 2 Super Bowl MVPs.

I think it might be an insult to Mahommes at this point to compare him to Marino. Dude had a first ballot HOF resume already.
Everything he is now doing is exactly under what I mentioned, proving it with years of top level football. I don’t understand the chest thumping from some of you. It is a simple concept, body of work to justify rankings, awards, or being enshrined. I stated he needed to prove it over time, and he has. What is the issue here with my comments? The fact I simply made a point of building a resume to justify HOF or whatever awards you want to give him. Not like I said he sucked. I would have said the same thing about Manning, Montana, or Brady. Build a resume to justify. Pretty simple concept.

Everything he is now doing is exactly under what I mentioned, proving it with years of top level football. I don’t understand the chest thumping from some of you. It is a simple concept, body of work to justify rankings, awards, or being enshrined. I stated he needed to prove it over time, and he has. What is the issue here with my comments? The fact I simply made a point of building a resume to justify HOF or whatever awards you want to give him. Not like I said he sucked. I would have said the same thing about Manning, Montana, or Brady. Build a resume to justify. Pretty simple concept.

You described a year in which Mahomes put up 5,100 yards, 50 TDs, and another 300 and 2 TDs on the ground against a total of 12 INTs, plus winning the league MVP as "really solid" and then compared Mahomes to Brock Osweiler.

That's easily a top 5 QB season of all time. Players don't turn in a performance like that and then fall off. And to compare that to Osweiler is crazy because he is a "never was" who never put up 3,000 yards in a season.

We get your point that Mahomes wasn't getting a Gold Jacket after 1 season but no one was saying that and you were wrong to compare him to an absolute scrub like Osweiler. What we were saying was that his performance was so excellent he was likely the next big thing, which he ended up being.

Reactions: Ski11585
To add to what @lilspainishflea said - you then followed up that post with another after Mahommes first SB win not acknowledging his greatness, but saying he had great skill players around him.

Mahommes greatness was evident from year 1.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I think it’s a combo of a great creative talent who luckily falls into a situation with great coaches, much like happened with Brady and Belicheck and their bevy of excellent coordinators. Add in outstanding monsters as Tight ends, also a commonality. It’s pretty amazing that both these guys given these situations have shown they dominate, pretty much with anonymous WR and RB.

Every year great QB come into the league. I’m not going to say most come close to the same talent as these guys but they often have terrible luck with the coaches and situations they get into. I’m sure we can all name dozens.

I hope KP can rise above the coaching morass I think the Steelers have at present. Tomlin is somnambulant, an emperor no longer in clothes, living in past glories; Canada is a college coordinator over his head with the pro game; and they frequently squander much of their drafts, unwilling or unable to target the vital positions like OL. Anyone who watched these NFL playoffs has to come away with the discouraged feeling that the Steelers are eons away from being competitive with the better teams. One hopes KP isn’t like so many others (like his own backup, for one) who go .500 in his rookie deal and end up perpetually holding a clipboard thereafter. Nice living, but in a better situation he could be more.

Last edited:
You described a year in which Mahomes put up 5,100 yards, 50 TDs, and another 300 and 2 TDs on the ground against a total of 12 INTs, plus winning the league MVP as "really solid" and then compared Mahomes to Brock Osweiler.

That's easily a top 5 QB season of all time. Players don't turn in a performance like that and then fall off. And to compare that to Osweiler is crazy because he is a "never was" who never put up 3,000 yards in a season.

We get your point that Mahomes wasn't getting a Gold Jacket after 1 season but no one was saying that and you were wrong to compare him to an absolute scrub like Osweiler. What we were saying was that his performance was so excellent he was likely the next big thing, which he ended up being.
Daunte Caulpepper had Moss to toss to. Threw some huge numbers and looked to be a serious NFL QB, we know where that went. That’s why it’s called body of work over a career.

Daunte Caulpepper had Moss to toss to. Threw some huge numbers and looked to be a serious NFL QB, we know where that went. That’s why it’s called body of work over a career.

Culpepper is a much more reasonable comparison versus Osweiler but there are still major differences. Mahomes put up 400 more passing yards, 200 more rushing yards, 11 more TDs, 8 fewer turnovers, .5 more yards per attempt (astronomical difference when you get beyond 9 YPA), and took 3% fewer sacks. And Culpepper did this in his 5th year as a starter whereas Mahomes did it in his 1st year. So 2018 Mahomes was still incredible compared to a really standout year even.

Again, it was fine to preach caution but that's not what you did. You really downplayed his achievements (5,100 yards on 9.6 AY/A with a 9% TD rate is literally insane) by calling them "solid" and you compared him to a literal below replacement level QB rather than a guy like Culpepper who had a monster year mid-career and just happened to suffer an unfortunate injury.

Not saying you don't know ball. It was just a bad take. We all have them.

Last edited:
I think it’s a combo of a great creative talent who luckily falls into a situation with great coaches, much like happened with Brady and Belicheck and their bevy of excellent coordinators. Add in outstanding monsters as Tight ends, also a commonality. It’s pretty amazing that both these guys given these situations have shown they dominate, pretty much with anonymous WR and RB.

Every year great QB come into the league. I’m not going to say most come close to the same talent as these guys but they often have terrible luck with the coaches and situations they get into. I’m sure we can all name dozens.

I hope KP can rise above the coaching morass I think the Steelers have at present. Tomlin is somnambulant, an emperor no longer in clothes, living in past glories; Canada is a college coordinator over his head with the pro game; and they frequently squander much of their drafts, unwilling or unable to target the vital positions like OL. Anyone who watched these NFL playoffs has to come away with the discouraged feeling that the Steelers are eons away from being competitive with the better teams. One hopes KP isn’t like so many others (like his own backup, for one) who go .500 in his rookie deal and end up perpetually holding a clipboard thereafter. Nice living, but in a better situation he could be more.

Yeah I think our offensive system is pretty bad for KP if I'm being honest. His strengths are quick decisions, ball placement, and mobility. He'd really thrive in SF's (or Miami's) system. I think he'd be like a super version of Jimmy G or Purdy. Unfortunately we run a ton of iso-routes and basically ask him to throw mostly outside the numbers. I don't love that because: 1) you force the WR to win against coverage; 2) you force the QB to throw far across the field, which is a difficult throw and it also limits YAC by putting the ball carrier next to the boundary; and 3) then the WR still has to catch the ball at the end of that.

I think the Steelers are a better ecosystem than most rookies get. They at least have some talent and coaching stability. Plus a history of excellence and some veterans who set the standard. Places like the Jets and Carolina are disaster because they're always turning over everyone and they've just never won. So that's positive for him. But yeah watching the Dolphins play the Steelers is like watching Amazon versus K-Mart. It's just a totally different experience and it's a lot harder on the QB than it needs to be.

Yeah I think our offensive system is pretty bad for KP if I'm being honest. His strengths are quick decisions, ball placement, and mobility. He'd really thrive in SF's (or Miami's) system. I think he'd be like a super version of Jimmy G or Purdy. Unfortunately we run a ton of iso-routes and basically ask him to throw mostly outside the numbers. I don't love that because: 1) you force the WR to win against coverage; 2) you force the QB to throw far across the field, which is a difficult throw and it also limits YAC by putting the ball carrier next to the boundary; and 3) then the WR still has to catch the ball at the end of that.

I think the Steelers are a better ecosystem than most rookies get. They at least have some talent and coaching stability. Plus a history of excellence and some veterans who set the standard. Places like the Jets and Carolina are disaster because they're always turning over everyone and they've just never won. So that's positive for him. But yeah watching the Dolphins play the Steelers is like watching Amazon versus K-Mart. It's just a totally different experience and it's a lot harder on the QB than it needs to be.
The Steelers aren’t a disaster, but they are undoubtedly mired in perpetual mediocrity at this point. And there doesn’t seem much urgency from the owner on down to turn it around. Programs like the Patriots and the Chiefs have the coaching savvy and passion to win it all. The Steelers might well have decent coaches as well, there’s certainly some skilled individuals there, but it feels like there’s none of that same passion. Yet its a program that seems to THINK they’re still among the elite. Indeed even many Steelers fans who post here also act like that. They act like Tomlin just hoisted the Lombardi last weekend. Yet the team has been store brand dog food for a decade now. It’s actually quite Penn State like. Denial.

But the point of saying that here is that it will likely doom KP to a Mitch-like career. He’ll be backing up some bright eyed new #1 draft choice QB for some other team in four years from now.

Culpepper is a much more reasonable comparison versus Osweiler but there are still major differences. Mahomes put up 400 more passing yards, 200 more rushing yards, 11 more TDs, 8 fewer turnovers, .5 more yards per attempt (astronomical difference when you get beyond 9 YPA), and took 3% fewer sacks. And Culpepper did this in his 5th year as a starter whereas Mahomes did it in his 1st year. So 2018 Mahomes was still incredible compared to a really standout year even.

Again, it was fine to preach caution but that's not what you did. You really downplayed his achievements (5,100 yards on 9.6 AY/A with a 9% TD rate is literally insane) by calling them "solid" and you compared him to a literal below replacement level QB rather than a guy like Culpepper who had a monster year mid-career and just happened to suffer an unfortunate injury.

Not saying you don't know ball. It was just a bad take. We all have them.
I believe players are judged by their career not a single season.

ADVERTISEMENT