ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt not ranked again. #29 this week.

We need to finish strong and have a 5 or 6 seed resume. Because I feel like we are going to be a few slots below where we think we should be. Don’t want to be lower and be sweating it out.

We need to finish strong and have a 5 or 6 seed resume. Because I feel like we are going to be a few slots below where we think we should be. Don’t want to be lower and be sweating it out.
I just don't want to see us in an 8/9 game. That's a worst-case scenario.

watched a little bit of them against Baylor... wasn't very impressed. Again, they're missing their best player... but idk how you can watch them and then Pitt and think TCU is better.
Well that’s kind of what I was getting at. At their current forms, Pitt is a better team. But with Miles and moving Baugh back to second banana, I’d take TCU to win.

17-4 since we found out we can shoot the hell out of the ball! 11-3 in the ACC! Slap in the face to Pitt and the ACC!

bull·shit
/ˈbo͝olˌSHit/

VULGAR SLANG
noun

1. stupid or untrue talk or writing; nonsense.

Reactions: FireballZ
This time next week we will have 20 wins, will have clinched our tourney bid, and will be ranked.

Reactions: FireballZ
Like the disrespect. Use it for fuel (and fuddle).
Yup I hope they are not ranked the rest of the year. Not that they've needed it but it just provides additional motivation to keep them focused and hungry.

At the end of the day the polls are meaningless. The only that matters is getting in the NCAA tourney. Win four of the last Six and that’s a lock

Last week - Clemson. The ACC is weak this year. Most voters are going to rely on NET ranking since they don’t follow teams as close as us fans.

I mentioned last week we did not have enough votes coming into this week to jump in to the top 25 by beating 2 bad teams this week. We are gaining votes but we play two bad teams again this week so we may not get in the top 25 next week either.

Having a loss in quad 3 and 4 is killing our perception. And a bad ACC is not helping.

We are two weeks away from entering the top 25. But we will need to win the next 4 games for that to happen.
Too many of Pitt's wins have been either really close games, or games where they has to come from behind to eek out a victory. That's fine, as that is plenty good enough to get to the tourney, possibly win the ACC, and eventually secure a ranking. That isn't going to do much to change the perception nationally. - Not playing in the ACC. That's the great thing about college basketball. Perception doesn't hold you back when March rolls around. The ACC had a really strong showing in last year's tourney.

FWIW, I think the only reason Virginia gets a little more benefit of doubt is because of their history under Tony Bennett. And they had some nice OOC wins back in November, where UVA won decisively over Baylor and Illinois in large part because of experience. But for the most part, I don't think anyone really believes Virginia is anywhere close to as good as their ranking. But it's a bit of a stretch to think that teams like Pitt and Clemson should be getting a lot more respect than they already are.

UNC, Duke, and Miami are the only teams in the league that standout from a roster viewpoint, imo. And UNC & Duke are just garbage.

Yup I hope they are not ranked the rest of the year. Not that they've needed it but it just provides additional motivation to keep them focused and hungry.

At the end of the day the polls are meaningless. The only that matters is getting in the NCAA tourney. Win four of the last Six and that’s a lock
Me too. Don’t rank us. Playing with a chip is more advantageous.

When was the last time a team in 1st place in the ACC(Or any power 5 conference) was unranked this late in the season?
Washington was 24-11 in 2012 and never ranked the entire season. They lost 5 games in the OOC, 2 of which were to ranked opponents. Then they won their league, got a bye in their tourney, and lost the first game by one possession. Washington did not receive an ncaa bid and eventually lost in the NIT semifinal. The Pac10 got 2 ncaa bids that year.

Reactions: Drew1208
Washington was 24-11 in 2012 and never ranked the entire season. They lost 5 games in the OOC, 2 of which were to ranked opponents. Then they won their league, got a bye in their tourney, and lost the first game by one possession. Washington did not receive an ncaa bid and eventually lost in the NIT semifinal. The Pac10 got 2 ncaa bids that year.
Wow. Good pull

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Simple solution. Don’t lose to crappy teams like Florida St at home. It’s that simple. That loss is single handedly keeping Pitt out of the top 25. They dug the hole now they need to keep winning to convince the voters
Yeah but let’s play devils advocate. Is FSU really a crappy team? Most teams in most leagues lose to teams like FSU in their league, but they don’t get dinged for a quad 4 loss because the metrics have those teams in a different category than FSU.

A game vs FSU seems just as dangerous as a game vs Nebraska, Ole Miss or Oklahoma. I understand FSU is a quad 4 loss. I just have a hard time accepting that it’s any worse than a loss to teams near the bottom of other major conferences.

Wow. Good pull
I reached out and asked a national talking head on twitter and he immediately responded with “Washington St 2012”. I knew that didn’t sound right because in 2012 we played Washington St in the CBI Final. So I went to wiki and looked it up. It was Washington, not WSU. So I can’t take credit for the find.

Too many of Pitt's wins have been either really close games, or games where they has to come from behind to eek out a victory. That's fine, as that is plenty good enough to get to the tourney, possibly win the ACC, and eventually secure a ranking. That isn't going to do much to change the perception nationally. - Not playing in the ACC. That's the great thing about college basketball. Perception doesn't hold you back when March rolls around. The ACC had a really strong showing in last year's tourney.

FWIW, I think the only reason Virginia gets a little more benefit of doubt is because of their history under Tony Bennett. And they had some nice OOC wins back in November, where UVA won decisively over Baylor and Illinois in large part because of experience. But for the most part, I don't think anyone really believes Virginia is anywhere close to as good as their ranking. But it's a bit of a stretch to think that teams like Pitt and Clemson should be getting a lot more respect than they already are.

UNC, Duke, and Miami are the only teams in the league that standout from a roster viewpoint, imo. And UNC & Duke are just garbage.
How many years has the garbage big ten had all those ranked teams go in the tourney and completely crap out while unranked and poorly ranked acc teams go on a tear? I think the ever charming Jim Boeheim even mentioned it during one of the tournaments --maybe last year's? The bias is real. I hope an unranked Pitt team makes the sweet 16 or better and all the overly regarded and ranked Big MACs fall on their faces.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

That was probably the worst a P6 league has ever been though. I think it was a 1 bid league

This BC game tonight is giving me a little anxiety given they have a skilled big. Will be another good test for Fede and the twins.

Reactions: Drew1208

FWIW--Here is what Sagarin's computer said about the ACC nationally (not including last night's games)---An overall weak conference:

(A) Overall Season Rankings--

Note: Miami will probably trade places with UNC when last night's Miami win is factored in.

16 Virginia
28 North Carolina
32 Miami-Florida
35 Duke
41 NC State
45 Pittsburgh
54 Virginia Tech
55 Wake Forest
65 Syracuse
69 Clemson
127 Florida State
137 Notre Dame
141 Boston College
162 Georgia Tech
227 Louisville

(B) Recent Ratings (More Pitt favorable):

Note: Miami will most certainly trade places with UNC. UNC might even fall below Pitt in these recent ratings when last night's game is factored in.

18 Virginia
28 North Carolina
31 Miami-Florida
36 Pittsburgh
39 Duke
42 NC State
53 Wake Forest
55 Syracuse
56 Virginia Tech
66 Clemson
119 Florida State
131 Boston College
147 Notre Dame
164 Georgia Tech
213 Louisville

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
maybe their thinking is that the wheels will fall off, and Pitt will return to being Pitt again

Fwiw Sagarin uses a pre-season ranking that he won't reveal the logic behind, which can impact later season rankings as well.
I mostly find his stuff to be pretty good but worth mentioning. I think it's probably to avoid having weird results early in the year that make him look bad. But it's still a human bias put into the system.

These Q4 losses being counted as extra losses is ridiculous. We went 1-1 against FSU, home and away. So because we lost at home and won away, we are punished? Whereas we'd be in better shape if we lost away and won at home? That's just completely illogical. We went 1-1 against them, home and away. Who cares which one was the win.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
How are we supposed to get national respect when the local Pittsburgh media craps on us? H2P!!!
That’s the same local media who gave us crap for missing out on Carmody, Droney, Rowan, Morton…I’m sure they all love their Mommies, but they ain’t Maurice Lucas and Dwight Clay either.
But to be fair college basketball is wide open this year and the difference between you 1 and 40 ain’t that much. Plenty of teams with 6,7,8,9 losses who can beat anyone Missouri comes to mind.

Yeah but let’s play devils advocate. Is FSU really a crappy team?

Florida State has now played 19 games against teams in the top 183 of the Pomeroy rankings. In those games they are 1-18. Their wins so far this season are against 184, 184, 206, 240, 267, 295 and 295.

Oh, yeah, and us.

They are, in fact, a crappy team. A really crappy team.

Florida State has now played 19 games against teams in the top 183 of the Pomeroy rankings. In those games they are 1-18. Their wins so far this season are against 184, 184, 206, 240, 267, 295 and 295.

Oh, yeah, and us.

They are, in fact, a crappy team. A really crappy team.
Well in that case, ok. Lol.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
I wasn't sure where to put this so Im going to put it here.

So that Vanderbilt team that beat us earlier this year.

They are riding a 3 game win streak in the SEC. They just beat Florida on the road and took down Top 5 ranked Tennessee. They are now winning by 22 points again on the road against South Carolina. They just moved into the top 100 of the net rankings and have a chance to finish over .500 in the SEC.

A lot of basketball and season left before we worry about POY conference winners and tournament seeding just yet.

Reactions: nycpanther98
I wasn't sure where to put this so Im going to put it here.

So that Vanderbilt team that beat us earlier this year.

They are riding a 3 game win streak in the SEC. They just beat Florida on the road and took down Top 5 ranked Tennessee. They are now winning by 22 points again on the road against South Carolina. They just moved into the top 100 of the net rankings and have a chance to finish over .500 in the SEC.

A lot of basketball and season left before we worry about POY conference winners and tournament seeding just yet.
Vandy could become a Quad 1 loss, and Clemson could end up as a Quad 2 loss. Having only 1 Quad 3/Quad 4 loss by season's end would likely improve our NET rating appreciably. Just keep taking care of business on our end and we may end up surprised at where we land.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT