ADVERTISEMENT

Rooney's gone cheap again with Heinz Field

Well that's the thing. We all know the Rooney's are cheapskates, and yet the continue to do the more expensive thing with regards to the turf/grass argument. A sane, logical person who has heard the players talking about the subject ought to be able to figure out the reason, but apparently it's just too much for the average Pitt fan to grasp.
another mention of this alleged conversation amongst steeler players on the subject of grass / turf. This must have been public knowledge, everyone seems to know about this conversation/survey. can someone post a link to this? Obviously I am one of a very few people that didn't see this public forum where all the steelers expressed their love for grass (no weed jokes please).

another mention of this alleged conversation amongst steeler players on the subject of grass / turf. This must have been public knowledge, everyone seems to know about this conversation/survey. can someone post a link to this? Obviously I am one of a very few people that didn't see this public forum where all the steelers expressed their love for grass (no weed jokes please).

The only player survey that I'm aware the Steelers did was a decade ago.

http://www.steelers.com/news/articl...nz-Field/D81B8973-7084-4E7C-8DC9-A9A56C92D816

The only player survey that I'm aware the Steelers did was a decade ago.

http://www.steelers.com/news/articl...nz-Field/D81B8973-7084-4E7C-8DC9-A9A56C92D816

Which do you trust, the NFLPA survey which had Heinz ranked worst field in the league and was conducted with players from every team, or this one? In the NFLPA survey, the Steelers players specifically pointed out that multiple events at Heinz was the reason for the issues with the field, so although they may prefer grass to turf, if may be that having multiple teams play on the natural surface makes it worse off then using artificial.

Which do you trust, the NFLPA survey which had Heinz ranked worst field in the league and was conducted with players from every team, or this one? In the NFLPA survey, the Steelers players specifically pointed out that multiple events at Heinz was the reason for the issues with the field, so although they may prefer grass to turf, if may be that having multiple teams play on the natural surface makes it worse off then using artificial.
If you're asking me, and I have to assume you are, because you quoted my post, I don't really care. I was attempting to answer a question another posted had with the only information I could remember about the subject.

Oh yes, I'm sure a pro football owner is 100% going to do exactly what the players want because they "prefer" grass. Really shocked they won't listen to AB when he says Bell should get paid.

Old and not a quote, but a reference to Rooney saying a reason they keep grass is because the players prefer it http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...grass-to-artificial-turf/stories/200711290443

The NFL players survey consistently ranked Heinz Field as either the worst or bottom three worst surfaces in the league. They haven't done it in recent years, so I'd be curious to see if opinions have changed.

SI ranked it 17 in 2015.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2015/10/01/nfl-stadium-turf-grass-rankings

The field still gets a bad rap from when they had that goofy sand based system, once they switched from that and started to re-sod after the WPIAL games it's been on par with other grass fields. Maintaining and re-sodding the grass field year after year costs way more than field turf so it's not the Rooney's being cheap.

Also, can the Steelers to the suburbs talk please stop! The Raiders just got $750 million in public money so that's the new starting point, what makes you think Butler, Cranberry or Washington can come up with even a fraction of that? The Rooney's will come with hat in hand every 4 years asking for public money to "update" Heinz Field, their game is the long con.

Search the PG archives. They had a story a few year ago based on interviewing nearly every player on the team. The one and only player on the whole team who said that he preferred turf was the kicker. Go figure. Every other player, offense and defense said one of two things. Either they didn't really care or they preferred grass.

Seriously, I can't believe that saying that the players prefer grass could possibly even be a mildly controversial statement. You know, seeing as to how it's one nearly universally expressed among high level football players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT