ADVERTISEMENT

Star rating

Rivals has the tackle, who is currently 400 lbs and going up against a 5 star DL, rated at 3 stars. I wouldn't make any judgement based on this one rep from a high school all star game practice

Rivals has the tackle, who is currently 400 lbs and going up against a 5 star DL, rated at 3 stars. I wouldn't make any judgement based on this one rep from a high school all star game practice
247 has him as a 4 star.

They also have him at 350lbs.

The fact that he played at Bergen Catholic and hasn't shown the ability to kickslide nor set up in pass pro is extremely problematic for someone who is rated as a 4 star player.

You do realize the Ohio State signee (Houston) is the DL in this clip, right?

The #1 edge in the country and offers from literally everyone.

Who cares who the OT is.
I don't care if he was blocking a 5'9 175 zero star DE from Tussey Mountain. It's extremely problematic for the OT who is a 4 star player to not be able to execute basic technique.

Reactions: pittmaninwv
247 has him as a 4 star.

The fact that he played at Bergen Catholic and hasn't shown the ability to kickslide nor set up in pass pro is extremely problematic for someone who is rated as a 4 star player.
Thought this was rivals? Anyway, your site says 391. Show me a full game after he loses 70 pounds. Not one meaningless rep in one meaningless practice against the top edge prospect in the country. Could there be any less context?

Reactions: Las Panteras
For the most part, below average to average.

Well he supposedly was Ohio State bound before going to one of these camps and getting destroyed. I thought he was at least average to slightly above average on a Pitt team that won the ACC. He did have a bad 2023.

At any rate, I hardly think one single rep in shorts is going to write the book on anyone. Dorian Johnson had quite a bit of trouble adjusting to better d-linemen than what he faced in the WPIAL when he first got here, but he figured it out (not apples to apples because of the age disparity - I get it).

It's also possible this dude shouldn't be rated as highly as he is. Does that discredit the entire process? Not in my opinion.

Thought this was rivals? Anyway, your site says 391. Show me a full game after he loses 70 pounds. Not one meaningless rep in one meaningless practice against the top edge prospect in the country. Could there be any less context?
If you saw a 4 star bball player who couldn't dribble, do you think his ranking would be accurate?

Well he supposedly was Ohio State bound before going to one of these camps and getting destroyed. I thought he was at least average to slightly above average on a Pitt team that won the ACC. He did have a bad 2023.

At any rate, I hardly think one single rep in shorts is going to write the book on anyone. Dorian Johnson had quite a bit of trouble adjusting to better d-linemen than what he faced in the WPIAL when he first got here, but he figured it out (not apples to apples because of the age disparity - I get it).

It's also possible this dude shouldn't be rated as highly as he is. Does that discredit the entire process? Not in my opinion.
I don't think it discredits the service by any means.

I think it just means looking at bios, stats, data points, without looking at film is a mistake fans make way too often.

As bad as Dorian struggled early on, this kid (God Bless him) looks like he stayed at a holiday inn last night. He played at one of the best football schools in the Northeast. They have good coaching at BC. He looks like a fish out of water in this setting and it really isn't the competition he's facing. It's a basic lack of fundamentals.

Well sure, but when has Georgia ever displayed an ability to evaluate and develop talent?
This kid has no feet and won't last a minute at OT in the SEC. Maybe they try and move him inside. If not he'll be in the portal real soon, because Georgia certainly has displayed an ability to process recruits. They aren't carrying dead weight on their roster.

If you saw a 4 star bball player who couldn't dribble, do you think his ranking would be accurate?
I think someone that couldn't dribble wouldn't be a college basketball prospect. But, if I saw one short clip of him ever, where he didn't look good and with zero context, I wouldn't pass any judgement.

Maybe this OL is terrible and overrated, but showing me that one clip isn't remotely enough for me to pass judgement. More evidence of the same, sure.

247 has him as a 4 star.

He’s rated as a very low 4*. A 91.

Most 91 rated players are going to be busts.

I think someone that couldn't dribble wouldn't be a college basketball prospect. But, if I saw one short clip of him ever, where he didn't look good and with zero context, I wouldn't pass any judgement.

Maybe this OL is terrible and overrated, but showing me that one clip isn't remotely enough for me to pass judgement. More evidence of the same, sure.
He's at the most elite all star event in the country.

It should be implied that you know basic fundamentals to get to that point.

This is the type of play where coaches in attendance look at each other, raise an eyebrow and wonder if this is an anomaly or this is who he is right now. The situation is reminiscent to Sterling Jenkins.

Just feels like we're having the same conversation every year, when the data is as plain as day:

https://www.on3.com/nfl/draft/2023/draft-by-stars/

Obviously it's not an exact science, and you're mixing production with projection. But the statistics simply aren't debatable.
no one is dismissing anything.

But, some of you take this as gospel especially when it comes to PITT recruiting.

In terms of data, I found this interesting -

Alabama has 18 five-star recruits on its roster. Michigan, which ranks No. 14 in the talent composite, has two. Not unrelated, the Crimson Tide had five players in Dane Brugler’s midseason ranking of the top 50 draft prospects and four first-round picks in Brugler’s latest mock draft. Michigan’s only surefire top-50 prospect is quarterback J.J. McCarthy, who has yet to make a draft decision.

On top of Michigan having a major talent disparity compared to Alabama, they also ran this archaic, dinosaur scheme known as the pro-style offense. You would think with all the stars Bama has accumulated and the modern approaches to offense, they would've not just beaten Michigan, but did it soundly. As we know, that didn't happen.

But, some of you take this as gospel especially when it comes to PITT recruiting.

Alabama has 18 five-star recruits on its roster. Michigan, which ranks No. 14 in the talent composite, has two. Not unrelated, the Crimson Tide had five players in Dane Brugler’s midseason ranking of the top 50 draft prospects and four first-round picks in Brugler’s latest mock draft. Michigan’s only surefire top-50 prospect is quarterback J.J. McCarthy, who has yet to make a draft decision.

On top of Michigan having a major talent disparity compared to Alabama, they also ran this archaic, dinosaur scheme known as the pro-style offense. You would think with all the stars Bama has accumulated and the modern approaches to offense, they would've not just beaten Michigan, but did it soundly. As we know, that didn't happen.

I mean, think everybody realizes that the team results don't align in exact accordance with recruiting rankings. But there are many things to consider. For example, one of those Alabama 5-stars you mentioned was their left tackle, who was starting in a playoff game as a true freshman. He had a pretty rough day. Does that mean he's not going to be good eventually? Absolutely not. After two more years of seasoning, he'll probably be a first round pick. But that's a big ask for a true freshman at that position.

So it doesn't mean the rankings, which had him as the 5th best player in the nation, were wrong. An upperclassmen 4-star beating a true freshman 5-star (just a random example) isn't unexpected or anything.

I mean, think everybody realizes that the team results don't align in exact accordance with recruiting rankings. But there are many things to consider. For example, one of those Alabama 5-stars you mentioned was their left tackle, who was starting in a playoff game as a true freshman. He had a pretty rough day. Does that mean he's not going to be good eventually? Absolutely not. After two more years of seasoning, he'll probably be a first round pick. But that's a big ask for a true freshman at that position.

So it doesn't mean the rankings, which had him as the 5th best player in the nation, were wrong. An upperclassmen 4-star beating a true freshman 5-star (just a random example) isn't unexpected or anything.
The true freshman 5 star is a good example of why one needs to have a formula when projecting how good a class is or how good a player might be.

I agree being a freshman starter is a tough challenge in a game like this. However, I think the main reason Michigan could line up with "lesser" talent and win was due to experience and development.

I've been friends with a NDSU coach for a few years. He tells me time and time again they take chances on kids because at least prior to NIL, they would keep kids 5 years. Their 5th year starter who was a 2 star or less coming out of HS with no FBS offers has proven time and time again to be able to block or tackle the power 5 kids at a good rate. I think NDSU record vs FBS is 8-2 over the past 10 years or so. Even this NDSU team was down by it's own standards but they pushed U. of Arizona to the brink before losing.

It doesn't look pretty for the tackle but, in his defense, the D End doesn't stop when the whistle is blown and arguably the tackle does stop. Which leads to him getting put on his back.

247 has him as a 4 star.

One rep in practice but that is awful technique. His kick is almost forward and he doesn’t get to anchor. No idea what he’s doing with his hands but zero punch and his arms are down so the defender is immediately into him. He’s already off balance upon engagement and has no chance to reset.

Signed with UGA. He'll be in the portal soon enough and they'll sign other guys.

Looks like a lottery ticket to me. I'm assuming he is nimble for his size and strong. Cut 50 lbs off him and teach him to bend and some footwork and he could be something. Maybe Georgia sees that potential. They certainly have the luxury to wait on him to develop. And if he isn't progressing, bye bye.

The fact that even OSU, Bama, USC and the like they go into the portal for players. Recruiting rankings a nothing more than businesses and writers coming up with ratings to get clicks.

Michigan’s roster still had an average recruit ranking of 90.51.

Alabama’s other loss was to a team with an average recruit ranking of 90.96.

UGA’s loss was to a team with an average recruit ranking of 94.49.

Really, Washington is the major upset because their roster averages out to an 87, which is a 3* level a lot of teams can obtain.

Probably not a coincidence that the COVID senior era gave rise to the first legit 3* national title contender.

We also are feeling the effects of A&M and maybe even Miami’s uptick in recruiting the last few years. Yeah, those teams did nothing with them. But it’s Bama and Ohio State and UGA that some of those losses came at the expense of.

Kind of like Vince going around to the territories back in the wrestling day and thinning out talent from them by buying it away. Even if it didn’t allow Vince to come into Dallas or the South, it still hurt those territories.

Really, Washington is the major upset because their roster averages out to an 87, which is a 3* level a lot of teams can obtain.

Probably not a coincidence that the COVID senior era gave rise to the first legit 3* national title contender.
I'm curious, what was roster average for last year's TCU team that played for the national title?

We also are feeling the effects of A&M and maybe even Miami’s uptick in recruiting the last few years. Yeah, those teams did nothing with them. But it’s Bama and Ohio State and UGA that some of those losses came at the expense of.

Kind of like Vince going around to the territories back in the wrestling day and thinning out talent from them by buying it away. Even if it didn’t allow Vince to come into Dallas or the South, it still hurt those territories.
Do these ratings include transfer portal ratings or just high school?

The fact that even OSU, Bama, USC and the like they go into the portal for players. Recruiting rankings a nothing more than businesses and writers coming up with ratings to get clicks.

They go into the portal:

1) Because they can

2) Because they lose so many guys to the NFL

3) Because the guys they bring in are top-notch and not used to having to wait their turn so they go to places like Pitt

Again, the data is there for all to see. Some choose to ignore it. But to act like these ratings are completely made up is just not supported by fact at all.

It includes transfers, but only your high school ranking carries over.
That could skew things a bit I would think, although I'm not super familiar with any of the teams. If the current trajectory holds, in a couple years high school class rankings may be meaningless for the haves of college football.

He's at the most elite all star event in the country.

It should be implied that you know basic fundamentals to get to that point.

This is the type of play where coaches in attendance look at each other, raise an eyebrow and wonder if this is an anomaly or this is who he is right now. The situation is reminiscent to Sterling Jenkins.
I can't really agree or disagree with you based on that one clip other than to say he looks bad there.

I'm curious what your end game is? Is it this kid is overrated, stars don't matter, Pitts recruits are better, or something else?

Reactions: cashisking884
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT