ADVERTISEMENT

Starting my ACC preseason Power Rankings

But hey Steel you know it all, you know more than the experts, your right. Richardson is 100 percent gone, even though he is a projected 2nd round pick, and people around the program think theres a very good chance of him coming back. Tyus Battle is going to be a complete bust, and Frank Howard should find another sport. We will win ten games next year, and Tony Bennet is the greatest coach in basketball history.

But hey Steel you know it all, you know more than the experts, your right. Richardson is 100 percent gone, even though he is a projected 2nd round pick, and people around the program think theres a very good chance of him coming back. Tyus Battle is going to be a complete bust, and Frank Howard should find another sport. We will win ten games next year, and Tony Bennet is the greatest coach in basketball history.

-I just saw Kaleb Joseph is transferring from Syracuse.

-If Richardson does stay in, you guys arent going to have any guards at all. Well, 2 guards total on the team.

-Im not high on Syracuse with or without Richardson. You arent going to the Final 4 next year. Not enough scoring and firepower, especially from 3. Ill move you up a few places if Richardson comes back, not much more.

-I just saw Kaleb Joseph is transferring from Syracuse.

-If Richardson does stay in, you guys arent going to have any guards at all. Well, 2 guards total on the team.

-Im not high on Syracuse with or without Richardson. You arent going to the Final 4 next year. Not enough scoring and firepower, especially from 3. Ill move you up a few places if Richardson comes back, not much more.

-Chino Obokoh is also transferring from Syracuse.

-Syracuse has 7 scholarship players on its roster, lol. Make it 6 if Richardson leaves.

Kaleb Joseph was going to get as many minutes in a Syracuse game as I am. A complete non factor, it really doesn't matter whether you are high on them or not, fact is most people around college basketball are.

Kaleb Joseph was going to get as many minutes in a Syracuse game as I am. A complete non factor, it really doesn't matter whether you are high on them or not, fact is most people around college basketball are.

-You still need talent to practice with and get better. You think your guys are going to get better practicing against walkons every single day. Common man, get real. Im selling you guys next year. Im selling Virginia too, they they are incredibly overrated going into next season.

-You still need talent to practice with and get better. You think your guys are going to get better practicing against walkons every single day. Common man, get real. Im selling you guys next year. Im selling Virginia too, they they are incredibly overrated going into next season.

I am going to have faith in a hall of fame coach to figure it out, like he does every year. We could always add a transfer.

-He better get his numbers way up to accomplish that. 11 points per game isnt going to cut it.
It's not about the numbers. Great passer, shoots well when needed, smooth as silk handle. He doesn't need to score in that system. Complete control of that offense. I'd take him before any other PG coming back next year.

It's not about the numbers. Great passer, shoots well when needed, smooth as silk handle. He doesn't need to score in that system. Complete control of that offense. I'd take him before any other PG coming back next year.

-Well, with 12 ACC starting point guards now gone going into next year, he doesnt have much competition for that race. He needs to be #1 out of 3 returning players.

4) North Carolina-Let's make no mistake about it, North Carolina was pretty dominant this year. And they had a good team, with one of the best players the ACC has seen in 10 or so years. Brice Johnson played like Dejuan Blair on massive steroids in the ACC season. Look at some of these eye popping performances

vs Duke 29 points, 19 rebounds
vs Duke 18 points, 21 rebounds
vs Florida State 39 points, 23 rebounds
vs Notre Dame 25 points, 13 rebounds
vs Miami 16 points, 15 rebounds
vs Virginia Tech 19 points, 17 rebounds

-I dont even know how to replace a player like this. He basically destroyed teams in every facet of the game from scoring, rebounding, blocks, assists, and defense. In 2 games vs Pitt, he averaged 19 points per game, 9 rebounds per game, and 4 blocks per game. He's the all time leader in rebounds in North Carolina history. Brogden was the ACC player of the year, but Johnson was the best player in the ACC. Marcus Paige also departs, the starting point guard and one of the best point guards in the ACC and in the country. 12 starting point guards have left ACC teams, so almost every team will have a brand new point man next year. There is major talk Roy Williams may retire, and the academic scandal is still hanging over the head of UNC. North Carolina could be underrated or overrated on a number of factors.
Joel Berry is the PG, not Paige.

Johnson set the single season rebounding record, not the overall to my knowledge.

Rebounds (Season UNC)
1 Brice Johnson 15-16 416

2 Tyler Hansbrough 07-08 399
3 Sean May 04-05 397
4 Antawn Jamison 97-98 389
5 Billy Cunningham 63-64 379

Rebounds (Career ACC)

1 Ronnie Shavlik NC State 1598
2 Tim Duncan Wake Forest 1570
3 Ralph Sampson Virginia 1511
4 Tree Rollins Clemson 1311
5 Shelden Williams Duke 1262
6 Mike Gminski Duke 1242
7 Tyler Hansbrough North Carolina 1219
8 Dale Davis Clemson 1216
9 Len Chappell Wake Forest 1213
10 Malcolm Mackey Georgia Tech 1205
11 Sam Perkins North Carolina 1167
12 Lee Collins 1159
13 Christian Laettner Duke 1149
14 Tom Owens 1116
15 Travis Watson Virginia 1115
16 George Lynch North Carolina 1097
17 Alvin Jones Georgia Tech 1075
18 Randy Denton Duke 1067
19 Tom Burleson NC State 1066
20 Billy Cunningham North Carolina 1062
21 Len Elmore Maryland 1053
22 Mike Lewis 1051
23 Brice Johnson North Carolina 1035

And, Paige wasn't a PG last year. Like, why even argue it when you are wrong.

Joel Berry, MOP of the ACC Tournament, is the starting PG for UNC and was all of last year.

UNC loses Marcus Paige from the 2. Brice from the 4. Joel James a sparsely used backup at the 5. Maybe Justin Jackson who started at the 3. Outside shot at Kennedy Meeks who started at the 5.

UNC having depth at every position helps. Joel Berry remains with backup Nate Britt at the 1. The 2 can be manned by Theo Pinson if Jackson stays or Kenny Williams at the 2 with Pinson at the 3 is Jackson leaves. Hicks steps in for Johnson. Meeks either remains or doesn't which leaves a slight hole.

UNC brings in Seventh Woods, Tony Bradley, Brandon Robinson, Shea Rush, Chazz Surratt.

UNC has tons of depth next year.

PG:
Berry
Britt
Surratt
White

SG:
Pinson
Woods
Williams

SF:
Justin Jackson
Robinson
Rush

PF:
Hicks
Maye

C:
Meeks
Bradley

Only question marks is if Jackson leaves, and if Hicks can rein in his foul issues because he is dominant when he stays out of them.

So steel expects Pitt football to win 8-10 games, and basketball to win probably 25 plus and go about 12-6 in the ACC, if not better?

Yikes. Like I said, it is good to be optimistic, but he will be the first to go off the deep end of Pitt doesn't meet these absurd standards.

-We'll see. Brogden, Gill, and Tobey have led that team in stats across the board the last 3 years. Winningest trio in Virginia history.

-I remember when the 2 Pitt anchors left in Jaron Brown and Julius Page. And Pitt dropped like a rock because they couldnt make up the loss on defense. Let's see the freshmen anchor the defense like these 3 have, since they are, by far, the 3 best defensive players on the team. Brogden was the ACC player of the year and the top defense men in all of college basketball last year. Like I said, we'll see. I see Virginia getting rocked next year. Duke will blow them out twice alone.

You may be right; you may be wrong. Regardless, it is probably worth remembering that similar predictions were made after the graduation of Mike Scott. Then folks said Virginia would drop precipitously after Joe Harris and Akil Mitchell finished. Just a year ago, it was said that without Justin Anderson and Darion Atkins (the 2015 DPOY in the ACC) that Virginia wouldn't be as good. With six upperclassmen leading next season's team, coupled with a pretty decent recruiting class, I am unsure that execution will drop by as much as you suggest, especially in an ACC that doesn't figure to be quite as tough, IMO.

Edit to add: After giving your post some thought, I decided to share some more thoughts with you. It should also be noted that Tobey wasn't the third best defensive player on the squad. If he had been, then Isaiah Wilkins wouldn't have started in front of him. Tobey's minutes were the result of his offense. Secondly, a very good argument can be made that Devon Hall was the second best defensive player on the team, as a sophomore. As a sophomore, Austin Nichols averaged nearly three blocks per game for Memphis (which led the AAC). While he has to demonstrate he can do similar things in the ACC before he can be lauded for his defense, it is also likely that he is a better rim protector than Gill. Finally, look for UVa to have a starting five of Perrantes, Hall, Wilkins, Nichols, and either Marial Shayok or Darius Thompson. Admittedly, Hall, Wilkins, Shayok, and Thompson all need to raise the level of the scoring a bit, but I don't see the defense suffering nearly as much as you suggest.

Last edited:
Syracuse gets a commit from highly sought after transfer John Gillion jr. We are in much better shape at guard, and If Richardson comes back, we are loaded.

Syracuse gets a commit from highly sought after transfer John Gillion jr. We are in much better shape at guard, and If Richardson comes back, we are loaded.
Richardson is projected to be a 1st Rounder. He would be wise to stay in the draft.

Kennedy Meeks returning to UNC. Typically hasn't done much against Pitt, but he really came alive in the run up to the finals last year vs Indiana, Notre Dame, and Syracuse.

VJ Beachum returning to Notre Dame, I think he's primed to have a big year next season.

Sounds like Malachi Richardson has done well for himself at the combine so far, and speculation seems to be he'll stay in the draft.

Andy Katz tweeted -
Based on what I've heard here I would be shocked if Malachi Richardson didn't stay in the draft.
Most experts feel he is leaning towards staying in the draft and will be a late 1st round pick.

LOL - He is gone.

Justin Jackson returns to UNC with Meek. They're gonna be extremely tough next year again.

Omer Yurtseven to NC State. Huge get for them this late in the game. Dennis Smith & Yurtseven might be one of top two or three freshmen combos in college hoops next year.

Omer Yurtseven to NC State. Huge get for them this late in the game. Dennis Smith & Yurtseven might be one of top two or three freshmen combos in college hoops next year.
Have you seen him play?

Have you seen him play?

I've read enough from people who scout for a living to know he's ready to make an immediate impact at this level. Evan Daniels says he's a top 10 player in this class, 247 has him 25th.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT