ADVERTISEMENT

Starting my ACC preseason Power Rankings

-Do a simple google search on Rothstein and Ncaa Tournament picks the last 2 years. The guy is a clown when it comes to basketball analysis. His track record is awful.

Where do you currently have Pitt's ACC preseason rank?

Where do you currently have Pitt's ACC preseason rank?

-I have not looked at all the roster realignment, transfers, etc... since the first time I did this prior to the NBA draft. Im pretty confident Pitt will finish in the Top 7 probably at worst. I think its very possible we win 11-12 ACC games this year.

-Although the summer league doesnt tell all or even a lot, it looks like Cam Johnson is on the verge of full breakout mode as a shooter which is what we desperately need, and Justice Kithcart has lived up to the hype thus far knifing into the paint at will with the dribble drive. It also appears, although early, Nix will be serviceable. Generally speaking, when you make the NCAA Tournament, you have a Top 50 offense and defense in efficiency, and you return 6 of your Top 7 scorers, you normally start the season off ranked in the Top 25. Every media outlet thinks Stallings is a mediocre at best coach which is why we are getting zero pub. If he can't win with this current roster, which I said prior to last season even starting ,this team would go as far as the offense would take them, expectations will be reset if he fails with the current team.

-I actually think Kevin Stallings would have beat Wisconsin in last years tournament. Jamie Dixon's hate for Ryan Luther and lovefest for players that have zero ability to score was a horse that is been beaten to death. So glad Dixon is out of here.

Rothstein is doing his ACC preview on twitter.

ACC Power Rankings: Duke, UVA, UNC, Louisville, VT, Clemson, FSU, Miami, Syracuse, NC State, Pitt, Notre Dame, Wake Forest, BC, GT.

11th would be very disappointing for a senior laden team that is returning 6 of top 7 scorers and top 3 rebounders.

Rothstein had us in his top 20 a few weeks ago, now he has us 9th in the Acc lol. No way we are even close to 9th, esp if we land Andrew White, which it sounds like may happen any day now.

15) Boston College- They won 7 games last year. They finished 0-18 in the conference. They are losing multiple starters including their 7 footer that anchored the team and players are transferring left and right running for the hills. This will be without question the worst P5 team in the country next year. They are complete garbage.

14) Georgia Tech- Kind of hard to like a team that loses all its starters, including three 5th year seniors. Their top returning scorer averaged 4 points per game. They only have 3 recruits coming in. And Josh Pastner is now Coaching. They won't be BC bad, but this program is a complete train wreck right now. They will be one of the worst P5 teams in the entire country

13) N.C. State- Losing 4 starters and 57 points per game on offense. They only won 5 ACC games last year. They have 1 recruit to replace the 4 starters, a player with a blown out leg. Their 2nd leading returning scorer averaged 4 points per game. This team is in complete rebuild going into next year as they lost all their players and they had zero depth last year

12) Wake Forest- Tough to be excited over a team that won 2 ACC games last year and 11 games for the entire season. They lost 2 of their top 3 scorers including their heart in Devin Thomas who averaged 16 points per game and 11 rebounds per game. They have already lost 2 more players to transfer and their recruiting class sucks. Good luck Deacs, you are going to need it next year.

11) Florida State- Hype is flooding into Seminole nation again, but Im selling the hype again. 4 Starters are now gone, including 2 that have left for the NBA. Coach Hamilton hasn't led a team to the NCAA Tournament in 5 years. His club won 8 ACC games last year and they finished in 11th place in the ACC. Florida State once again has another great recruiting class coming in, another class I predict Hamilton to fail with.

10) Syracuse- Hype is also flooding into Orange nation. Two 5th year seniors are gone, including 2 of their top 3 scorers going into next year and this team limped into the NCAA Tournament after losing 14 games last year. A lot depends on Malachi Richardon. Should he go to the NBA, Syracuse loses their best 3 guards and replace them with 1 freshmen. The team will only have 9 scholarship players on its roster. They will be incredibly weak in guard talent should Richardson leave.

9) Clemson- This one is a tougher call, because Blossomgame is in the NBA draft camp, but has not signed with an agent, yet. Should he stay in the draft, Clemson will be losing 3 starters off a 17-14 team last year. Blossomgame is really good, his numbers were borderline All American worthy last year. He is the heart of the team. This loss is potentially crippling. Clemson has 3 transfers coming in, but Im not buying Jon Rothstein’s hype on any of them because none of them have proved anything close to instant impact. Should Blossomgame come back, this team will be respectable.

-There is your bottom half of the conference. For now.

NC State will likely be a top 25 team to start the season. You obviously are not keeping close tabs with State.

Syracuse may be very good, or not. There are just too many new pieces to know exactly how well that puzzle fits together. And, White might be very good for them, but it is worth noting that in 600 touches on offense last year, he had four assists. Perhaps, that was just his role at Nebraska. On the other hand, since Syracuse is his third school, I am a bit skeptical about his character and ability to be a 'team' player. I suspect a 'wait & see' attitude might be appropriate.

Edit to add: Actually, those stats are wrong. However, for everyone 100 possessions last year, White took nearly 24 shots, and he had just 1.2 assists. For the year, he had a total of 20. assists. Regardless, there should a bit of concern there.

Last edited:
Reactions: gary2
He also scored 33 points and grabbed 12 rebounds per 100 possessions and had a 120 offensive rating, and 102 defensive rating. Those numbers are all a huge improvement from Trevor Cooney.

This is a pretty versatile team with White, Lyndon, and Battle on the perimeter, Gillon and Howard at the point, and Roberson and Chukwu up front.

They may take a little time to gel, but should be very good come late January.

Syracuse may be very good, or not. There are just too many new pieces to know exactly how well that puzzle fits together. And, White might be very good for them, but it is worth noting that in 600 touches on offense last year, he had four assists. Perhaps, that was just his role at Nebraska. On the other hand, since Syracuse is his third school, I am a bit skeptical about his character and ability to be a 'team' player. I suspect a 'wait & see' attitude might be appropriate.

Edit to add: Actually, those stats are wrong. However, for everyone 100 possessions last year, White took nearly 24 shots, and he had just 1.2 assists. For the year, he had a total of 20. assists. Regardless, there should a bit of concern there.

I agree

I doubt Syracuse ends up in the top half of the ACC

What - with a bad apple from Nebraska - a transfer from where? - a transfer that did not play at Providence - Sure

That bad apple avg 16 ppg and shot 41 pct from 3, and the kid from Providence is a backup, and is going to be good. Other than Duke what Acc team has more talent?

Why in the world was Andrew White labeled a bad apple here?

Syr 3rd school for White - Mich St and Miami kicked the tires, then decided against him

He picked Syr after classes started - Other choice was VCU - Red flags?

Maybe Syracuse just a little desperate?

Last edited:
That bad apple avg 16 ppg and shot 41 pct from 3, and the kid from Providence is a backup, and is going to be good. Other than Duke what Acc team has more talent?

The really good ACC teams have both/either returning starters or one and done freshmen, not 2 or 3 kids that have played legit time and patchwork additions.

Syracuse was picked 9th in an ACC preseason poll (Pitt 11th). I do not see Syracuse position changing just because they added someone of A.White's ilk at the very end of the recruiting season.

ACC preseason poll top 7 - Duke - UVA - UNC - Louis - Vir Tech - Clem - FSU

Next in line - Miami

Last edited:
Since 1982 under Jim B Syracuse has lost 14 games only twice . Last year despite losing 14 games ( 2 to Pitt ) they went on to the final four. In the last eight years 2 final fours 1 elite eight and 2 sweet sixteens. Don't underestimate Syracuse !

Reactions: orange830
Syr 3rd school for White - Mich St and Miami kicked the tires, then decided against him

With today's rules, going to three schools isn't entirely uncommon. He wanted to play for a winner, so he chose Syracuse over Miami, who was indeed still pursuing him. VCU was a longshot, in it because he is from Richmond.

Syracuse's classes started yesterday, he didn't choose after classes started.

Calling this kid a bad apple is wishful thinking that he will bring that team down. This is a very talented team that just added a really good outside shooter and scorer to their lineup.

The really good ACC teams have both/either returning starters or one and done freshmen, not 2 or 3 kids that have played legit time and patchwork additions.

Syracuse was picked 9th in an ACC preseason poll (Pitt 11th). I do not see Syracuse position changing just because they added someone of A.White's ilk at the very end of the recruiting season.

Next in line - Miami

Syracuse is in just about every preseason top 20, I've seen as high as #11. That was before adding White.

Syracuse is in just about every preseason top 20, I've seen as high as #11. That was before adding White.

That was before adding White

I agree with the line above - I feel White makes no positive difference

The key for Syracuse is their top freshman guard recruit - He will determine the outcome of their season

Syracuse has no inside game - Coleman is crippled and Lydon is a perimeter player. They have Roberson - Thompson will not be a factor this season - Moyer?

Last edited:
That was before adding White

I agree with the line above - I feel White makes no positive difference

The key for Syracuse is their top freshman guard recruit - He will determine the outcome of their season

Syracuse has no inside game - Coleman is crippled and Lydon is a perimeter player. They have Roberson - Thompson will not be a factor this season - Moyer?

Chukwu will be a defensive presence. They will be perimeter oriented on offense, just like they are pretty much every season. Coleman isn't likely to play as much as Chukwu. Roberson was plenty of presence in the interior in their run to the final four, and is another year stronger and more experienced.

If Pitt added a power 5 wing who averaged 16+per game on 41% 3pt shooting, this place would be praising him. It's just silly to say he will have no positive difference.

Reactions: orange830

They didn't decide against him, he decided he didn't want to go to there. Desperate, syracuse was loaded without him, he just makes them better.

Next in line - Miami

The only people who has Syracuse picked 9th, are people who don't follow college basketball.

UNC - Va Tech - Clem - FSU to start

Serious question for you, have you ever watched college bball before? I Could give you Unc, its close, but Va Tech, Clemson, Fsu, its beyond absurd.

I believe Syr finished what 9th in the ACC last year?

Syr has Lydon, Roberson, Coleman and Howard coming back

Va Tech has Leday, Allen, Bibbs, Robinson, Blackshear, Clarke and Hamilton back

Clem has Blassingame, Grantham, Holmes, Devoe, Djitte and Hudson back

FSU has Bacon, Mayes Mann, Smith, Cofer and Ojo back

I know teams change from year to year but I am thinking Syr is at least starting the year below those teams in talent and experience.

Vir.Tech and Clemson were above Syr in last year's ACC standings and FSU was one game behind. FSU returns Cofer and Ojo who sat out last season with injury.

I believe Syr finished what 9th in the ACC last year?

Syr has Lydon, Roberson, Coleman and Howard coming back

Va Tech has Leday, Allen, Bibbs, Robinson, Blackshear, Clarke and Hamilton back

Clem has Blassingame, Grantham, Holmes, Devoe, Djitte and Hudson back

FSU has Bacon, Mayes Mann, Smith, Cofer and Ojo back

I know teams change from year to year but I am thinking Syr is at least starting the year below those teams in talent and experience.

Vir.Tech and Clemson were above Syr in last year's ACC standings and FSU was one game behind. FSU returns Cofer and Ojo who sat out last season with injury.

Ya, and they also went to the Final Four, those teams didn't come close to the Ncaa tournament. Syracuse has a loaded recruiting class, and two impact transfers coming in. Btw Syracuse reloads every year, I honestly don't understand how anyone could doubt them, especially a Pitt fan.

Wait....what??? Pitt 3rd? I'm as big of a Pitt fan as anyone. But with the head coach we now have and the team we now have, it would be a substantial accomplishment if Pitt finished in the middle of the pack, maybe 8th in the ACC. If we can somehow finish higher than that, it will be an absolute miracle. I fully expect Pitt to be lower than 8th, closer to 11th.

3) Pitt- This is the oldest team returning in the ACC and the most seasoned. Coming off a 9-9 conference performance and efficiency rankings in the Top 50 for offense and defense, Pitt is primed to make a move. Pitt loses 3 grad transfers going into next season. Those 3 grad transfers combined together, averaged 4 points per game in ACC conference games only. Basically, once the ACC season started, the grad transfers did, like against Wisconsin, nothing. If Pitt can find 1 player to average 4 points per game, they already made up the difference of 3 players lost. The team has a lot of firepower returning in the frontcourt and on the wing, more than any other team in the ACC. A big part of this ranking hinges on the fact of 1 player coming into the program and proving to everyone why James Robinson was average at best, on offense and defense. Assuming Justice Kithcart can shoot 32% from 3 point range, he already can match Robinson's outside firepower, which was very little. What Kithcart gives on offense will be determined, but what he gives on defense is already known. He is an Elite hawk on defense entering the conference, and a real menace on defense much like Aaron Craft was a menace at Ohio State. While every ACC team so far is riding on multiple freshmen contributions to make an impact to help, Pitt only needs a contribution from 1 new player. Kithcart. Im more than confident he will handle it because he understands the concept of defense let alone what he brings to the table on offense. Pitt still needs to find a 2 guard somewhere if they want to make some type of run in the tournament. Or if Tom Richardson can teach the Dixon leftover guards Damon Wilson and Chris Jones how to shoot. There is more than enough firepower all over the roster, but finding a 2 guard that can score with some consistency will make a considerable difference.

I will disagree because I believe Stallings is not a very good coach. I am expecting a drop off from last year and a losing ACC record as a result. I am expecting only 5-7 ACC wins. Hope I am wrong--but I have no faith in Stallings coaching.

I will disagree because I believe Stallings is not a very good coach. I am expecting a drop off from last year and a losing ACC record as a result. I am expecting only 5-7 ACC wins. Hope I am wrong--but I have no faith in Stallings coaching.
If he wins 10 or 11 conference games without an experienced point guard does that make him a better coach than Jamie or if he wins 9 is he then equal ?

If he wins 10 or 11 conference games without an experienced point guard does that make him a better coach than Jamie or if he wins 9 is he then equal ?

Really? How about we see what he does over 3 years? He needs to win 10-12 games in the acc a year to at least even be considered as being on dixon's level.

At this point, he is at a starting point far worse than Dixon.

Really? How about we see what he does over 3 years? He needs to win 10-12 games in the acc a year to at least even be considered as being on dixon's level.

At this point, he is at a starting point far worse than Dixon.
You need to stop judging the entirety of Jamies career as one unit. There are two very distinct periods , the Big East were he was without question one or two wins away from being considered as good as coach as there was in the country and the ACC were his results were just mediocre. Going forward judge KS on the ACC Jamie and the ACC KS not the Vanderbilt KS. What he did or didn't do at Vanderbilt doesn't really matter to me it's what he'll do at Pitt .Whether he fails,meets or exceeds JDs ACC record only time will tell .
Let's hope for Jamies sake TCU fans don't judge him on his BE accomplishments but TCUs prior play !

You need to stop judging the entirety of Jamies career as one unit. There are two very distinct periods , the Big East were he was without question one or two wins away from being considered as good as coach as there was in the country and the ACC were his results were just mediocre. Going forward judge KS on the ACC Jamie and the ACC KS not the Vanderbilt KS. What he did or didn't do at Vanderbilt doesn't really matter to me it's what he'll do at Pitt .Whether he fails,meets or exceeds JDs ACC record only time will tell .
Let's hope for Jamies sake TCU fans don't judge him on his BE accomplishments but TCUs prior play !

I will judge ks at Pitt. Right now though, there is nothing to indicate in his long, mediocre track record that he can elevate the program. There is indication that he can make it worse, but not better.

KS needs to average 11+ wins a year, and basically needs to elevate Pitt to a top 15 program. I'll give him two years to Stewart up, but afte that if he isn't there, him and Barnes need canned.

I will judge ks at Pitt. Right now though, there is nothing to indicate in his long, mediocre track record that he can elevate the program. There is indication that he can make it worse, but not better.

KS needs to average 11+ wins a year, and basically needs to elevate Pitt to a top 15 program. I'll give him two years to Stewart up, but afte that if he isn't there, him and Barnes need canned.
Have I missed them playing a game ? I don't think the previous coach whom you idolize could do that.

So you would be saying the same things if Pitt hired the coach of the Oakland Catholic girl's basketball team?
Now your being beyond stupid ,don't like the hire you have some options
1.) don't follow Pitt
2.) don't follow Pitt and adopt TCU you could post on their board how great Jamie was in the Big East
3.) stop posting the same thing over and over again...please
4.) follow Pitt but post this babble on another site
I'm not a psychologist ,but I think you'd be a lot happier if you found some other emotional outlet.

Don't you have your own message board, or something?
Malachi Richardson and Tyler Lydon are going to be stars next year. Possible first or second team all ACC. They also have two top 50 players coming in to the program. 10th (10th!) in your preseason ACC rankings. Ahead of Pitt!

I just hope you don't talk to people like this in person.
Sticking with your prediction, tickler?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT