ADVERTISEMENT

Starting my ACC preseason Power Rankings

steel_curtain

All Conference
Nov 9, 2014
15) Boston College- They won 7 games last year. They finished 0-18 in the conference. They are losing multiple starters including their 7 footer that anchored the team and players are transferring left and right running for the hills. This will be without question the worst P5 team in the country next year. They are complete garbage.

14) Georgia Tech- Kind of hard to like a team that loses all its starters, including three 5th year seniors. Their top returning scorer averaged 4 points per game. They only have 3 recruits coming in. And Josh Pastner is now Coaching. They won't be BC bad, but this program is a complete train wreck right now. They will be one of the worst P5 teams in the entire country

13) N.C. State- Losing 4 starters and 57 points per game on offense. They only won 5 ACC games last year. They have 1 recruit to replace the 4 starters, a player with a blown out leg. Their 2nd leading returning scorer averaged 4 points per game. This team is in complete rebuild going into next year as they lost all their players and they had zero depth last year

12) Wake Forest- Tough to be excited over a team that won 2 ACC games last year and 11 games for the entire season. They lost 2 of their top 3 scorers including their heart in Devin Thomas who averaged 16 points per game and 11 rebounds per game. They have already lost 2 more players to transfer and their recruiting class sucks. Good luck Deacs, you are going to need it next year.

11) Florida State- Hype is flooding into Seminole nation again, but Im selling the hype again. 4 Starters are now gone, including 2 that have left for the NBA. Coach Hamilton hasn't led a team to the NCAA Tournament in 5 years. His club won 8 ACC games last year and they finished in 11th place in the ACC. Florida State once again has another great recruiting class coming in, another class I predict Hamilton to fail with.

10) Syracuse- Hype is also flooding into Orange nation. Two 5th year seniors are gone, including 2 of their top 3 scorers going into next year and this team limped into the NCAA Tournament after losing 14 games last year. A lot depends on Malachi Richardon. Should he go to the NBA, Syracuse loses their best 3 guards and replace them with 1 freshmen. The team will only have 9 scholarship players on its roster. They will be incredibly weak in guard talent should Richardson leave.

9) Clemson- This one is a tougher call, because Blossomgame is in the NBA draft camp, but has not signed with an agent, yet. Should he stay in the draft, Clemson will be losing 3 starters off a 17-14 team last year. Blossomgame is really good, his numbers were borderline All American worthy last year. He is the heart of the team. This loss is potentially crippling. Clemson has 3 transfers coming in, but Im not buying Jon Rothstein’s hype on any of them because none of them have proved anything close to instant impact. Should Blossomgame come back, this team will be respectable.

-There is your bottom half of the conference. For now.

So Syracuse is going to finish 10th, with all the talent they have coming back, coming off a final four run?

No offense, because I'd love a Final Four any way we could get it, but I think you're overstating the significance of beating one top 25 team in the NCAA tournament.

Battle
Richardson
Lydon
Roberson
Coleman

With bench of

Howard
Moyer
Chukwu

Is as talented as any ACC team other than Duke next year. They might not finish top 3 but they aren't likely to finish 10th either.

Reactions: orange830
Battle
Richardson
Lydon
Roberson
Coleman

With bench of

Howard
Moyer
Chukwu

Is as talented as any ACC team other than Duke next year. They might not finish top 3 but they aren't likely to finish 10th either.
- You or anyone else may post rankings any time you like. Same Syracuse team Pitt blew out of the gym twice and beat 3 times last year. Except lost 2 of their best players, and probably 3.

- You or anyone else may post rankings any time you like. Same Syracuse team Pitt blew out of the gym twice and beat 3 times last year. Except lost 2 of their best players, and probably 3.

First of all you only really blew us out once, the game at the dome was close for most of the game, and got out of hand late. Basketball are about matchups, Pitt is a bad matchup for us. That same team went to the final four. Like I have said before we have a good recruiting class coming in, and a 7'2 center coming in. I totally agree that a lot depends on Malachi, but if Malachi returns, I would put this team at the top of the league along with Duke, Unc, Lville.

First of all you only really blew us out once, the game at the dome was close for most of the game, and got out of hand late. Basketball are about matchups, Pitt is a bad matchup for us. That same team went to the final four. Like I have said before we have a good recruiting class coming in, and a 7'2 center coming in. I totally agree that a lot depends on Malachi, but if Malachi returns, I would put this team at the top of the league along with Duke, Unc, Lville.
- You are more than free to post your rankings without being criticized. Pitt plays Syracuse twice next year. If you feel Pitt is a bad matchup for you, thats 2 losses right off the tip. If you think Syracuse sweeps Pitt, so be it.

Do you watch basketball outside of Pitt? Syracuse, led by Richardson, with big contributions from Roberson and Lydon, just went to the Final Four. Battle is a player who can step right in, much like Richardson.

They have a ton of talent there.

Do you watch basketball outside of Pitt? Syracuse, led by Richardson, with big contributions from Roberson and Lydon, just went to the Final Four. Battle is a player who can step right in, much like Richardson.

They have a ton of talent there.
-That's great. Put your rankings in writing like I have.

- You are more than free to post your rankings without being criticized. Pitt plays Syracuse twice next year. If you feel Pitt is a bad matchup for you, thats 2 losses right off the tip. If you think Syracuse sweeps Pitt, so be it.

I'm not going to make predictions on games in April for next year, I have no idea how your new coach is going to do with Jamie Dixon's team. Jamie Dixon knew how to beat our zone better than any other coach out there, will Stallings do the same? We will see.

Reactions: California Panther
Malachi Richardson and Tyler Lydon are going to be stars next year. Possible first or second team all ACC. They also have two top 50 players coming in to the program. 10th (10th!) in your preseason ACC rankings. Ahead of Pitt!

I just hope you don't talk to people like this in person.

Malachi Richardson and Tyler Lydon are going to be stars next year. Possible first or second team all ACC. They also have two top 50 players coming in to the program. 10th (10th!) in your preseason ACC rankings. Ahead of Pitt!

Don't you have your own message board, or something?

- Richardson is NBA bound unless something changes

Reactions: fredceetee
8) Miami- This is the year we get to find out just how good a Coach Jim Larranga is. Miami has missed the NCAA Tournament twice in the last 3 years, and they have heavy, HEAVY losses going into next year. Sheldon McClellon, Angel Rodriguez, Tonye Jakiri, James Palmer, and Ivan Uceda are now gone from the program. This ranking may be too generous for Miami. They just lost 48 points per game on offense, their top 3 shooters and best 3 point shooters, one of the best big men in the paint in the acc, their starting point guard, and their all conference wing-GONE. 5 players, gone. The last time Miami had to replace this type of star power, they went from 1st to 10th in the league 3 years ago year over year. This ranking is banking on the fact Malachi Richardson and Jaron Blossomgame stay in the NBA draft. Miami is going to fall hard next year, they are retard overrated being in any preseason Top 25 ranking as that is a joke. Miami has 3 four star freshmen coming in, but you can forget about that making up the difference for the player losses.

7) Notre Dame-What a run by Coach Brey. Back to back elite 8's. Credit awarded when credit is due. The Irish lose Demetrius Jackson and Zack Auguste, their top 2 scorers, their top 2 players, and the heart and soul of the team. All Jackson did was lead the charge in 2 come from behind victories in the NCAA tournament when Notre Dame was left for dead in the Final 2 minutes against Wisconsin and Stephen F. Austin. All Auguste did was average 14 points per game, 11 rebounds per game, and 1 assist per game while shooting a blistering 56% from the floor. The star point guard is gone, the star center is gone. And Notre Dame's run of Elite 8's is done, DONE, going into next year. Temple Gibbs has monstrous shoes to fill if Notre Dame is going to finish 7th in the league next year. The Irish have a massive hole at center too, filling in for the do everything 6'9 Auguste.

Congrats on a great Final Four run. But don't forget that you finished in 10th place this past year. Maybe Steel has you too low. But top 3 in the league. Ummm ... No. Not a chance, really.

Obviously Syracuse was inconsistent this year, but they did make the final four, and they did beat Duke, A&M,Uconn,Notre Dame. Alot depends on Richardson of course, but if he comes back other than Duke, who has more talent?

Pretty good report SC!

I think the bottom four teams (BC, GT, Wake and NCS) are all going to be about as bad as BC was this past year... except BC will be even worse. But, they all get to play each other and that will mean some Ws.

The thing about Hamilton... he impresses me as a coach that can recruit but can't coach. When we played them this past year down there... and got the W... it seemed as if they were hardly trying... when a LOT of other teams in the ACC were playing almost desperate. FSU... should give him the ax.

I wonder if Maverick is gonna set an all time record for the ACC for missed shots in conference games for a season. You can bet he is gonna be letting them fly in no uncertain terms.

If Blossomgame comes back... then Clemson will be a force to be reckoned with. Otherwise, they will at least not be as bad as the bottom four teams. Their success was as much about D as it was about O... and the coach did not get fired.

As far as Boeheim and Larranaga are concerned... I would not underestimate them. Both of these guys can coach and both of them usually find a way to at least be respectable. Cuse though, barely made it into the NCAA tourney this past season and probably won't with Cooney and Gbinije gone. If Richardson goes pro... then probably almost no chance.

Yeah... the ACC will be a lot weaker this coming season but WE get to play UNC and UVA twice... along with Cuse and Ville.

Ahh... sweep 'em all!

Reactions: FireballZ
6) Virginia Tech-The hokies now return 4 of 5 starters, and Buzz Williams is starting to get excited. The hokies look primed to do some damage next year. Coming off a 20 win season, including 10 ACC wins, Virginia Tech has the pieces to make a potential run. Where they lack is size, as they only have 1 player in the rotation over 6'6. They also lack in wins, only beating 3 NCAA Tournament teams last year. But they have experience, and that is what is going to count next year. The Hokies only signed 1 recruit, but really do not need substantial help at any position. The Hokies could use 3 point help, as they only had 1 player shooter over 35% from 3 last year. 7 of their top 8 players return, and Virginia Tech should be dancing next year. Coming off a 20-15 season, anyone should expect that to improve next year.

5) Virginia- I have the Cavs 5th, and that is still probably overrated going into next year. ACC player of the year and National Defense men player of the year Malcolm Brogden is gone. So is Anthony Gill and Mike Tobey which combined for 40 points per game on offense and 15 rebounds per game on defense. Virginia has been on a great 3 year run. Do you know why? Brogden and Gill have led Virginia in scoring and rebounding the last 3 years. They are the 2 best defensive players on the team by a landslide. The top 3 shooters on the team are now gone, and the best defensive players are now gone. They are the winningest trio in Virginia basketball history. Anyone think London Parrantes is going to shoot close to 50% from 3 next year with all that talent gone? Remember when Ashton Gibbs shooting tanked when Wanamaker and Gilbert Brown left? Same thing is going to happen here when the best defensive players are now checking Parrantes instead of trying to slow down Brogden and Gill. The recruiting class is solid with 4 four stars coming in and Austin Nichols is eligible from Memphis. If Coach Bennet keeps this team in the Top 3 of the ACC after those massive player losses, he should win National Coach of the year. With that said, Virginia isnt finishing Top 3 in the league and isnt anywhere close to being a preseason Top 5 team in the country.

4) North Carolina-Let's make no mistake about it, North Carolina was pretty dominant this year. And they had a good team, with one of the best players the ACC has seen in 10 or so years. Brice Johnson played like Dejuan Blair on massive steroids in the ACC season. Look at some of these eye popping performances

vs Duke 29 points, 19 rebounds
vs Duke 18 points, 21 rebounds
vs Florida State 39 points, 23 rebounds
vs Notre Dame 25 points, 13 rebounds
vs Miami 16 points, 15 rebounds
vs Virginia Tech 19 points, 17 rebounds

-I dont even know how to replace a player like this. He basically destroyed teams in every facet of the game from scoring, rebounding, blocks, assists, and defense. In 2 games vs Pitt, he averaged 19 points per game, 9 rebounds per game, and 4 blocks per game. He's the all time leader in rebounds in North Carolina history. Brogden was the ACC player of the year, but Johnson was the best player in the ACC. Marcus Paige also departs, the starting point guard and one of the best point guards in the ACC and in the country. 12 starting point guards have left ACC teams, so almost every team will have a brand new point man next year. There is major talk Roy Williams may retire, and the academic scandal is still hanging over the head of UNC. North Carolina could be underrated or overrated on a number of factors.

3) Pitt- This is the oldest team returning in the ACC and the most seasoned. Coming off a 9-9 conference performance and efficiency rankings in the Top 50 for offense and defense, Pitt is primed to make a move. Pitt loses 3 grad transfers going into next season. Those 3 grad transfers combined together, averaged 4 points per game in ACC conference games only. Basically, once the ACC season started, the grad transfers did, like against Wisconsin, nothing. If Pitt can find 1 player to average 4 points per game, they already made up the difference of 3 players lost. The team has a lot of firepower returning in the frontcourt and on the wing, more than any other team in the ACC. A big part of this ranking hinges on the fact of 1 player coming into the program and proving to everyone why James Robinson was average at best, on offense and defense. Assuming Justice Kithcart can shoot 32% from 3 point range, he already can match Robinson's outside firepower, which was very little. What Kithcart gives on offense will be determined, but what he gives on defense is already known. He is an Elite hawk on defense entering the conference, and a real menace on defense much like Aaron Craft was a menace at Ohio State. While every ACC team so far is riding on multiple freshmen contributions to make an impact to help, Pitt only needs a contribution from 1 new player. Kithcart. Im more than confident he will handle it because he understands the concept of defense let alone what he brings to the table on offense. Pitt still needs to find a 2 guard somewhere if they want to make some type of run in the tournament. Or if Tom Richardson can teach the Dixon leftover guards Damon Wilson and Chris Jones how to shoot. There is more than enough firepower all over the roster, but finding a 2 guard that can score with some consistency will make a considerable difference.

Are u factoring in the impact of incoming Fr and transfers? There are a lot of elite players coming into the league.

2) Louisville- This one is going to be interesting. The Cards already lost their starting backcourt which is 27 points per game. Their best player, Chinanu Onuaku, has declared for the NBA draft. This guy is a beast as he can score, pass, and play defense and lets not forget dominate the glass. Chances are he may still come back to Louisville, although no decision has been made. The Cards do have young talent that can help ease the losses of the senior guards in Quentin Snider and Don Mitchell. Tony Hicks is transferring into Louisville, a 13 point player from Penn. So they have proven experience already on the roster, as opposed to other teams banking on freshmen. The other big question at hand is the sex scandal and Rick Pitino. It is possible this team could receive a 2nd post season ban. It is possible Rick Pitino is suspended for the entire year, or possibly fired before the season starts. Onuaku is the big player to watch, they dont have anyone else in the frontcourt right now anywhere near as talented as him. Mankok Mathiang is also back after missing 2/3 's of last season from injury. He will also help the frontcourt. The big thing I see with Louisville as opposed to any other team so far, is they have less question marks because they have players that can play at all 5 positions and they dont have a hole at a single position. They may not be Elite players, but they dont have holes at any position.

1) Duke-Grayson Allen is returning. He should be a preseason 1st team all american. Amile Jefferson looks like he will get the medical redshirt and return. Kennard and Jones are both back. Duke so far is losing Brandon Ingram, a Top NBA pick and Marshall Plumlee, their starting center. Thornton is rumored to be transferring, which could be a slight hole at point guard for Duke. Duke's recruiting class is loaded, but the big question is Harry Giles. He is coming off a blown out leg and is no where near he was before the injury. How much does that impact him and Duke next year. This team is going to be good, perhaps really good. I have them as one of the title favorites in the early going. But this team isnt going to blow everyone out of the gym next year either. They aren't UNLV of the 90's.

5) Virginia- I have the Cavs 5th, and that is still probably overrated going into next year. ACC player of the year and National Defense men player of the year Malcolm Brogden is gone. So is Anthony Gill and Mike Tobey which combined for 40 points per game on offense and 15 rebounds per game on defense. Virginia has been on a great 3 year run. Do you know why? Brogden and Gill have led Virginia in scoring and rebounding the last 3 years. They are the 2 best defensive players on the team by a landslide. The top 3 shooters on the team are now gone, and the best defensive players are now gone. They are the winningest trio in Virginia basketball history. Anyone think London Parrantes is going to shoot close to 50% from 3 next year with all that talent gone? Remember when Ashton Gibbs shooting tanked when Wanamaker and Gilbert Brown left? Same thing is going to happen here when the best defensive players are now checking Parrantes instead of trying to slow down Brogden and Gill. The recruiting class is solid with 4 four stars coming in and Austin Nichols is eligible from Memphis. If Coach Bennet keeps this team in the Top 3 of the ACC after those massive player losses, he should win National Coach of the year. With that said, Virginia isnt finishing Top 3 in the league and isnt anywhere close to being a preseason Top 5 team in the country.
Perrantes will be the best PG in the ACC next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT