ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers, Big Ben n Del

You guys DO realize there is another team on the field too. A team with a better record and in the same situation the Steelers were in last week at home which gives them a huge advantage. It's not just the Steelers going up and down the field and didn't Tom Brady have three picks Saturday night? One thing I have noticed on these message boards is everyone is a coach, and everyone has to play perfect on every play at all times or they suck and don't know what they are doing, player or coach. Everyone rags on the Rooneys, but they have SIX Super Bowl trophies, more than any other franchise. Everyone rags on Roethlisberger but he has two Super Bowl wins and is in the top ten of every passing category all time. Of the current QBs in the NFL only Brady and the Mannings can say that. Maybe you should go root for the Browns, or maybe the Lions or a team like that.

I swear Pittsburgh fans are the most miserable and spoiled fans in the history of sports. I don't know about you but between the Panthers, Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins, they have a combined 13 championships in my lifetime. That averages to one championship every four years of my life and I have seen every team win one. As a sports fan I feel more blessed than anything because a lot of people can't say that. You can't win every game or every year, but as the Steelers have proved since 1970, you can win the most. Most championships, most playoff wins, most hall of famers, most conference titles, most divisional titles, and most wins since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970. The only team with less losses in that time are the four most recent expansion teams. No team can be perfect, but you can't get much better than that.

Since 1972......45 years, the Steelers have been to 16 AFC Championship games. That is 1 every 3 years. We are incredibly spoiled.

Or playcalling. I think this is as much on Haley as Ben. Neither were good, though the last past Ben threw to AB was really good. Ben was not sharp at all.
It's not all on Ben or Haley but you CAN'T go into the redzone 7 times and come up with a pick and 6 FG's. Can you imagine a Rogers or Brady led O doing that? No way! If the Steelers had lost that game, #7 would have been the guy at whom everyone should have pointed the finger of blame.

It's not all on Ben or Haley but you CAN'T go into the redzone 7 times and come up with a pick and 6 FG's. Can you imagine a Rogers or Brady led O doing that? No way! If the Steelers had lost that game, #7 would have been the guy at whom everyone should have pointed the finger of blame.
You cant? They did and won.. it happened less than 12 hours ago. You just said you cant do it, they did it and are going to the afc championship game. Now if you said they cant do that consistently or something like, they cant do that in new England and beat tom brady, then I would agree..

Typical loser debate, "IF" they would have lost the game... they didn't lose, they won.. "if" the steelers lose next week then come back spewing your nonsense, until then, STFU

Reactions: mehinpgh
Since 1972......45 years, the Steelers have been to 16 AFC Championship games. That is 1 every 3 years. We are incredibly spoiled.
don't even bother with this idiot.. steeler hater who loves when we lose and makes up excuses when we win.. complete waste of time even debating with him..

delpanther is the kind of guy that is the only adult in a line with kids, begging athletes for their autograph and when they don't give him one, he goes online and insults them..

Reactions: NTOP and Jpripper88
You cant? They did and won.. it happened less than 12 hours ago. You just said you cant do it, they did it and are going to the afc championship game. Now if you said they cant do that consistently or something like, they cant do that in new England and beat tom brady, then I would agree..

Typical loser debate, "IF" they would have lost the game... they didn't lose, they won.. "if" the steelers lose next week then come back spewing your nonsense, until then, STFU
It's nothing but an evaluation of #7's play. Go check out the newspapers-they do it after every game. He stunk and the Steelers overcame his ineptitude. He's over rated...that's the bottom line. Let's see what he does in Foxborough next week. You just can't stand your idol being criticized.

It's nothing but an evaluation of #7's play. Go check out the newspapers-they do it after every game. He stunk and the Steelers overcame his ineptitude. He's over rated...that's the bottom line. Let's see what he does in Foxborough next week. You just can't stand your idol being criticized.
well I am an adult so I don't have an idol, outside of Snake Plissken of course, but I am smart enough to realize that you need a good QB to win a super bowl. if you were a steeler fan in the 80's, 90's and first few years of '00s, youd realize this. the steelers finally went out and drafted a franchise QB and won not one but two superbowls..

but yeah, im the one being immature..

well I am an adult so I don't have an idol, outside of Snake Plissken of course, but I am smart enough to realize that you need a good QB to win a super bowl. if you were a steeler fan in the 80's, 90's and first few years of '00s, youd realize this. the steelers finally went out and drafted a franchise QB and won not one but two superbowls..

but yeah, im the one being immature..
Who said you were being immature? That's your spin on my comment. You're a big fan...I get it because I am too. I just can't gloss over the details of #7's play.

It's really staggering, isn't it? And I think it absolutely has to do with the fact that the Steelers have had 3 coaches since 1969. THREE COACHES. In 48 years! The Rooney's have built a successful franchise because they don't overreact. I don't think it can be stated enough how that stability at the top helps sustain success.

Good game not pretty but its a W.
Tomlin had his team ready to play again?!
They must have Tomlin on NoDoz medicine he kept his eyes open all game and actually talked to a few players during the game.
Way to go Mike keep taking the NoDoz!

Last edited:
It's really staggering, isn't it? And I think it absolutely has to do with the fact that the Steelers have had 3 coaches since 1969. THREE COACHES. In 48 years! The Rooney's have built a successful franchise because they don't overreact. I don't think it can be stated enough how that stability at the top helps sustain success.
It's also a prime reason Pitt football struggles to be popular. Like it or not, standards are high here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski11585
Next Sunday is Put Up Or Shut Up Time For the Steelers and Stiller Nation. All that bellyaching about the Patriots cheating them way back when..blablabla. Steelers, here is your chance. Tom Brady is in your sights. Make him miserable.

Gotta love the two conference championship matchups. Plenty of offensive weapons spread around. Three gunslinger QBs and one surgeon.

Steelers are marching through my extended family's favorite teams. Wife's side is all Patriots fans. To them the Steelers are just another AFC team. Should be a fun week.

I'd love to see a Steelers vs Packers superbowl again!

I took the Lambeau field tour when I was on business in Green Bay.

I don't. No desire to face Aaron Rodgers. Give me the Falcons bad defense and tendency to shoot themselves in the foot.
This. They don't award smaller rings for beating lesser teams in the SB. The Steelers have some of the rings they have through good fortune to have faced what likely weren't the best NFC teams of those seasons (LA, Seattle). It helped them win despite less that great performances.

That's not the point. The point is that he's completely overrated and yesterday's performance was Ex. A!-just brutal.....6FG's..yeesh.
Your opinion is noted and we all agree that Ben isn't going to win any Walter Payton Man of the Year Awards, but you talk about Ben like a spoiled yinzer. He's at very worst the 2nd-best quarterback the Steelers have ever had (1b to Bradshaw's 1a in my personal opinion), a definite future Hall of Famer whether you like it or not, and when he's not around anymore AFC Championship Games and Super Bowls are going to be a hell of a lot harder to reach.

You also seem to forget that the other team is filled with pros who get paid a lot of money too.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
This. They don't award smaller rings for beating lesser teams in the SB. The Steelers have some of the rings they have through good fortune to have faced what likely weren't the best NFC teams of those seasons (LA, Seattle). It helped them win despite less that great performances.

A big help in '05 was Brady's fumble in Denver.

You guys DO realize there is another team on the field too. A team with a better record and in the same situation the Steelers were in last week at home which gives them a huge advantage. It's not just the Steelers going up and down the field and didn't Tom Brady have three picks Saturday night? One thing I have noticed on these message boards is everyone is a coach, and everyone has to play perfect on every play at all times or they suck and don't know what they are doing, player or coach. Everyone rags on the Rooneys, but they have SIX Super Bowl trophies, more than any other franchise. Everyone rags on Roethlisberger but he has two Super Bowl wins and is in the top ten of every passing category all time. Of the current QBs in the NFL only Brady and the Mannings can say that. Maybe you should go root for the Browns, or maybe the Lions or a team like that.

I swear Pittsburgh fans are the most miserable and spoiled fans in the history of sports. I don't know about you but between the Panthers, Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins, they have a combined 13 championships in my lifetime. That averages to one championship every four years of my life and I have seen every team win one. As a sports fan I feel more blessed than anything because a lot of people can't say that. You can't win every game or every year, but as the Steelers have proved since 1970, you can win the most. Most championships, most playoff wins, most hall of famers, most conference titles, most divisional titles, and most wins since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970. The only team with less losses in that time are the four most recent expansion teams. No team can be perfect, but you can't get much better than that.
Excellent post. How anyone can b*tch about Roethlisberger is beyond me.

Who said you were being immature? That's your spin on my comment. You're a big fan...I get it because I am too. I just can't gloss over the details of #7's play.
Del, what I don't get is how someone like you that's a Pitt fan and endured all of the heartache of the last 33 years on Saturdays can't appreciate Roethlisberger's greatness on Sundays.

Name another QB that could have made the throw he made in the 1st quarter on that 3rd down when he aired it out perfectly to AB with a man grabbing at his foot. If they don't convert that play there, the game could easily have gone the other way because KC was up 7-3 and would have had a ton of momentum.

my man struggles on road. i'll give you that..

Yeah , running 1 yard routes to gain 3 yards and puckering up in the red zone are Haley traits.
I am not sure what was different in red zone.. they were batting down a lot of our balls, the one that caused the int.. We had a good shot in the endzone when ben threw a strike to AB on a deep post/crossing pattern but the DB made a better play.

WHoever to blame, Haley, Ben, Tomlin, Delpanther, it needs fixed if we have any shot at beating the pats..

i'll preface this by saying I don't think Ben is a bad QB or even close to just avg. However, so far this game is a glowing example of why Del harps on him.

He hasn't made any dumb mistakes yet but we have Leveon Bell doing anything and everything possible and we have a lousy 5 FGs to show for it. Kicking a lot of FGs instead of getting TDs is usually a recipe for a loss. I hope I'm wrong.

would have been nice if they had stuck with what got em there once they got to the 5-10 yard line but they went with pass every time and Ben couldn't get em in. One dropped TD by AB on the mid length pass but otherwise we came up empty.

I'm a little biasedly influenced by seeing what Rodgers did today but I think he would have gotten some TDs in those cases.

So far major props to Leveon.
The Steelers need to be able to do both, run and pass. The 2 passes at the end of the game were ballsy and huge. They lose if they don't get that first down. Ben is definitely not playing at his best level. They need him to be very good next Sunday. Don't think Steelers can win with just bell. Also, we need to be getting pressure on Brady early and often. If the D is hitting Brady early, the game will go down to the wire if Brady is drinking a cup of coffee, the Steelers lose by 2 TDs

I'd guess he's taken quite a few.
I love Ben and we would still be stuck at 4 Superbowls without him. That said, games like the KC game last evening are why when the top QB's in the league are talked about you always hear Brady and Rodgers first. They never and I mean never get stopped in the red zone to the point where the team doesn't score at least a couple TD's.

He gets a chance this weekend to knock off, possibly the best of all time (even tho he is 38 now). Ben's legacy is already in place here and he will be a Hall-of-famer. This week and possibly his Superbowl performance against either Ryan or Rodgers will only further cement that legacy and insure he be a 1st ballot HOF'er. All that said, If he plays as poorly as he did in KC, people including Del have a right to bitch. He will be playing against the best in the next two weeks. If he wants to be mentioned in the same sentence with Brady and Rodgers, he needs to deliver!

Del, what I don't get is how someone like you that's a Pitt fan and endured all of the heartache of the last 33 years on Saturdays can't appreciate Roethlisberger's greatness on Sundays.

Name another QB that could have made the throw he made in the 1st quarter on that 3rd down when he aired it out perfectly to AB with a man grabbing at his foot. If they don't convert that play there, the game could easily have gone the other way because KC was up 7-3 and would have had a ton of momentum.
Hey, he's a guy people contend isHOF caliber- there are a lofty set of expectations that company that acclaim, assuming they are true which I don't believe to be the case. Yesterday Ben was 1-7 in the red one for ONE yard with one pick. You'd expect that type performance from a rookie, not a veteran and not a guy people suggest is HoF caliber, which is a joke. The pass to Brownw was underthrown and should have been a TD had he thrown it properly-Brown was being covered by aLB and had to stop and wait for it. There was nothing brilliant about that play- nothing- it was an underthrow. Ben is not sharp mentally or throwing the ball accurately and this isn't a recent phenomenon. The last 6-7 years he's been inconsitent and error prone. Without a doubt he's the most over rated QB to ever play the game. I'm looking forward to see what he does next week on the big stage. Will Brady, by comparison, make him look like a chump like he has in the past? Compare Ben's performance yesterday to Rodgers'- not even in the same galaxy. If Ben leads the Steelersto a SB championship this year, I will have new founded respect for him. Until then he's the error prone, erratic egotistical diva who's living off having been in the right place at the right time in 3 SBs, in two of which he stunk! He needs a boot- for his big fat head!

Did Ben steal your girlfriend?
Nah...I'm just the type who bristles when anyone hasn't earned the accaim and recognition they receive. For at least the last 6 years number 7 has been an erratic passer and poor decision maker . If Ben outplays Brady this week, let's talk. Are you expecting that from HOFer number 7-I'm not but it would be a pleasant surprise because I'll be rooyimg for the Steelrrs against the team zip hate most in in the NFL. Saturday stats in the red one: 1-7 for 1 yard and a pick. I'd that what you expect from Ben?

Your opinion is noted and we all agree that Ben isn't going to win any Walter Payton Man of the Year Awards, but you talk about Ben like a spoiled yinzer. He's at very worst the 2nd-best quarterback the Steelers have ever had (1b to Bradshaw's 1a in my personal opinion), a definite future Hall of Famer whether you like it or not, and when he's not around anymore AFC Championship Games and Super Bowls are going to be a hell of a lot harder to reach.

You also seem to forget that the other team is filled with pros who get paid a lot of money too.
I think if Ben sticks around another 3 -4 years and plays the way he has the last 6 people will be rethinking the HoF idea. Was that the performance yesterday in the red zone of a HOF QB? I'd expect more from Landry Jones

I don't. No desire to face Aaron Rodgers. Give me the Falcons bad defense and tendency to shoot themselves in the foot.
You're correct the Falcons would be our choice but a Packers Steelers game with all the history would be fun.

I think if Ben sticks around another 3 -4 years and plays the way he has the last 6 people will be rethinking the HoF idea. Was that the performance yesterday in the red zone of a HOF QB? I'd expect more from Landry Jones
The HOF is a "career" award. And his career is already a guaranteed HOF-er, regardless of whether he takes another snap:

Ben's stats - Regular season:

Record: 123-60-0
Completion%: 64.1%
Yards: 46,814
TDs: 301
Ints: 160
QBR: 94.1

Ben's stats - Post season:

Record: 13-6 (two SB wins, 1 SB loss)
Completion%: 62.0%
Yards, 4,473
TDs: 24
Ints: 22
QBR: 84.3

For a comparison:

Bradshaw's stats - Regular season

Record: 107-51-0
Completion%: 51.9%
Yards: 27,989
TDs: 212
Ints: 210
QBR: 70.9

Bradshaw's stats - Post season

Record: 14-5 (4 SB wins)
Completion%: 57.2%
Yards: 3,833
TDs: 30
Ints: 26

Granted... the game is different now and a much more passing league. So the numbers that really compare era-to-era are wins and losses:

Ben: 123-60 in regular season, 13-6 in post-season
Terry: 107-51 in regular season, 14-5 in post-season

Guaranteed HOF-er. Not even close.

The HOF is a "career" award. And his career is already a guaranteed HOF-er, regardless of whether he takes another snap:

Ben's stats - Regular season:

Record: 123-60-0
Completion%: 64.1%
Yards: 46,814
TDs: 301
Ints: 160
QBR: 94.1

Ben's stats - Post season:

Record: 13-6 (two SB wins, 1 SB loss)
Completion%: 62.0%
Yards, 4,473
TDs: 24
Ints: 22
QBR: 84.3

For a comparison:

Bradshaw's stats - Regular season

Record: 107-51-0
Completion%: 51.9%
Yards: 27,989
TDs: 212
Ints: 210
QBR: 70.9

Bradshaw's stats - Post season

Record: 14-5 (4 SB wins)
Completion%: 57.2%
Yards: 3,833
TDs: 30
Ints: 26

Granted... the game is different now and a much more passing league. So the numbers that really compare era-to-era are wins and losses:

Ben: 123-60 in regular season, 13-6 in post-season
Terry: 107-51 in regular season, 14-5 in post-season

Guaranteed HOF-er. Not even close.
It will be rethought if he stinks the next 4 years like he has the last 6. Glad he wore his boot last week.., diva!

It will be rethought if he stinks the next 4 years like he has the last 6. Glad he wore his boot last week.., diva!
This is what Del considers "Stinking" the past six years:

Record: 54-31
Playoff record: 3-3

Completion%: 65%
Yards: 24,312 (average: 4,052)
TDs: 157
Ints: 74
Rating: 95.1

If that's "stinking".... give me 5 more years of it, please.

This is what Del considers "Stinking" the past six years:

Record: 54-31
Playoff record: 3-3

Completion%: 65%
Yards: 24,312 (average: 4,052)
TDs: 157
Ints: 74
Rating: 95.1

If that's "stinking".... give me 5 more years of it, please.
How many PO wins? Fathead specializes in building gaudy stats in meaningless games which impresses the Yinzers. Nice red zone play yesterday, Fathead. Nice pass to Brown- too bad he had to stop and wait for the helicopter throw to come down or otherwise it would have been 7. Nice check off to a pass from the 4 yard line after the a Steelers OL had pushed KC around the length of the field. Fathead... the Yinzers' choice for the HOF.

How many PO wins? Fathead specializes in building gaudy stats in meaningless games which impresses the Yinzers. Nice red zone play yesterday, Fathead. Nice pass to Brown- too bad he had to stop and wait for the helicopter throw to come down or otherwise it would have been 7. Nice check off to a pass from the 4 yard line after the a Steelers OL had pushed KC around the length of the field. Fathead... the Yinzers' choice for the HOF.
He's 2-0 in the postseason the past six years when all of his weapons are available.

And he's not just the "Yinzer's choice" for the HOF. He'll be Canton's. On the first ballot that he is eligible.

He's 2-0 in the postseason the past six years when all of his weapons are available.

And he's not just the "Yinzer's choice" for the HOF. He'll be Canton's. On the first ballot that he is eligible.
2 wins in 6 years. Yinzer legend.., I get it. He's the worst QB still remaining in the POs.

2 wins in 6 years. Yinzer legend.., I get it. He's the worst QB still remaining in the POs.
2 of the other 3 are *ALSO* guaranteed first-ballot HOFers.

And for the record.... playoff records the past six years:

Brady: 9-4
Rodgers: 5-5
Ben: 3-3
Ryan: 2-2

Keep moving the goalposts to make your points, Del. Deep down *YOU* know he is a first-ballot HOFer too. It just pisses you off that it is true.

2 of the other 3 are *ALSO* guaranteed first-ballot HOFers.

And for the record.... playoff records the past six years:

Brady: 9-4
Rodgers: 5-5
Ben: 3-3
Ryan: 2-2

Keep moving the goalposts to make your points, Del. Deep down *YOU* know he is a first-ballot HOFer too. It just pisses you off that it is true.
My points are the same. He's dumb and erratic and these traits are magnified when he plays on the road. You keep pointing to what a guy accomplished years and years ago and completely ignore his performances in 2 of the 3 years he played ontheNFLs biggest stage.

Yeah, lol, Delpanther is to blame!
I am not sure what was different in red zone.. they were batting down a lot of our balls, the one that caused the int.. We had a good shot in the endzone when ben threw a strike to AB on a deep post/crossing pattern but the DB made a better play.

WHoever to blame, Haley, Ben, Tomlin, Delpanther, it needs fixed if we have any shot at beating the pats..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT