ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers, Big Ben n Del

I guess we'll see. I think Bell gets 30 carries and about 5-10 catches. The offense revilves around him, he's the best player on the team period.
The Steelers will not win this game unless the QB makes some plays because it's most likely going to take at a minimum 25 points to win this game. I, however, agree that Bell will get lots of carries and his AND Ben's production will determine the outcome of this game. The Steelers will not win this game if all they can do is run the ball.

I think Ben is the perfect example of how hard it is to play QB in the NFL. If you listened to the talking heads you would think he is a sure fire HOFer (which I think he is.) On the other hand we sit here and have watched him every week since 2004 and know his weaknesses like nobody else.

At the end of the day the man has won two super bowls albeit one he looked like dog poop. However other than Brady, Manning or Rodgers nobody else in the league has moved the needle QB wise.

Ben is way ahead of Rodgers based on winning championships, division titles, playoff games. He's even with both Mannings on Super Bowls and ahead of both on playoff wins.

Btw those who considered me evil incarnate for my comment on the Davis penalty Sunday. This article sums up my thought much more eloquently than my succinct post at the time. I'm sure it changes few minds but it describes the reality of the situation well.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/s...-hit-but-what-else-could-he-do-044957211.html

Glad to see Davis agrees. I applaud his attitude.

“The penalty, I wasn’t trippin’ about the penalty man, it happened,” Davis said, via ESPN.com. “I’m sorry I hit him in the head, I’m not apologizing for it. That’s football. I dislodged the ball, I did my job, I wasn’t aiming at his head with my head. I was trying to hit him with my shoulder pad. He just fell into it, how I see it. But I did my job, we won the game. That’s that.”

Ben is way ahead of Rodgers based on winning championships, division titles, playoff games. He's even with both Mannings on Super Bowls and ahead of both on playoff wins.

you just named team achievements, some of you guys are starting to sound like chicago blackhawks fans that argue jonathan toews is better than crosby because he has more cups

rodgers has 2 mvp's and might have a 3rd in 2 weeks, plus a super bowl mvp

manning has 5 mvp's which is a league record, super bowl mvp, and every passing record

ben is not in their class, his best career year is an off year for them

That's only if it's all about stats. Put Ben in New Orleans offense and have Sean Peyton call the plays and he can do like Drew Brees, throw for 5000 yards and 45 TDs and finish 7-9.

That's only if it's all about stats. Put Ben in New Orleans offense and have Sean Peyton call the plays and he can do like Drew Brees, throw for 5000 yards and 45 TDs and finish 7-9.
Yea, right...Fathead has never been named first OR second team all pro. Fathead..washed up. Put a dress on him...can't even run a QB sneak from the one inch line. The Steelers have had to build an O around the running game because Fatthead is too stupid and erratic for them to do otherwise.

Yea, right...Fathead has never been named first OR second team all pro. Fathead..washed up. Put a dress on him...can't even run a QB sneak from the one inch line. The Steelers have had to build an O around the running game because Fatthead is too stupid and erratic for them to do otherwise.
NFL leader in yards and TDs in 2014, and second in passer rating.

Just two years ago.

I assume you're a Steeler hater, but if you're a Steelers fan, get ready to be even more angry when FATHEAD is gone and they're 5-11 every year.

I assume you're a Steeler hater, but if you're a Steelers fan, get ready to be even more angry when FATHEAD is gone and they're 5-11 every year.
I can be sSterlers fans and call it like it is in terms of the QB's quality of play. You beat virtually no one scoring below 20 points in playoff games and it begins with the QB!

NFL leader in yards and TDs in 2014, and second in passer rating.

Just two years ago.
2014? What has he done for SIX years running on the road and in the playoffs. Last 2 playoff games, the O wasn't worth a shit! Expecting to go far in the playoffs scoring under 20 points per game is a pipe dream. The consistency of the division making and accuracy of # 7 is ordinary st best and poor at its worst. His red zone play is abominable.

I can be sSterlers fans and call it like it is in terms of the QB's quality of play. You beat virtually no one scoring below 20 points in playoff games and it begins with the QB!
So things will be better when we finally get rid of FATHEAD for good? He's so bad, he should be easy to replace, right? Give us your thoughts?

He threw for over 300 yards, at one point completed 11 or 12 consecutive passes. He had 2 sure TD passes dropped, one by Coby Hamilton and one that went through the hands of a diving Sammy Coates. Another TD was negated by Hamilton running out of bounds without being touched before catching the ball.

The defense lost this game, truth be told. The Steelers stubbornly played zone which Brady easily picked apart. They got no pressure on the QB, tackled poorly and they couldn't cover a guy using a walker. In the final analysis they lost to a much better team

I have to admit, those of you who think he is a 1st ballot hall-of-famer are off target. His longevity and career stats will get him in the Hall. However, no one should ever include him in the diiscussions with guys like Brady or Montana. These guys never performed like Ben has these last two games with so much at stake.

Reactions: Delpanther
So things will be better when we finally get rid of FATHEAD for good? He's so bad, he should be easy to replace, right? Give us your thoughts?
He's the best he Steelers have and he's average. The Steelers need to start thinking about drafting a replacement for #7. If he's too brittle to run a QB sneak from the one foot line, then it's time to start thinking about replacing him. In the meantime the Steelers better continue to upgrade their D because they're not going to get to the championship level again largely on the the strength of #7's ability....he's just not a premier QB any longer. On any given day he can be either very good or poor.

He threw for over 300 yards, at one point completed 11 or 12 consecutive passes. He had 2 sure TD passes dropped, one by Coby Hamilton and one that went through the hands of a diving Sammy Coates. Another TD was negated by Hamilton running out of bounds without being touched before catching the ball.

The defense lost this game, truth be told. The Steelers stubbornly played zone which Brady easily picked apart. They got no pressure on the QB, tackled poorly and they couldn't cover a guy using a walker. In the final analysis they lost to a much better team
Just like Pitt getting into the NCAA tournament the last couple times, I think Ben will get into the nfl hof based on the umbrella getting expanded and watered down a bit. It seems they want 6 or so every year now to have that espn show...and they know including a Steeler will draw big crowds to Canton. Still I think he deserves it given this context.

He is very good in a league where many teams struggle for decades without a decent QB. Still he is definitely is a notch less than the really really great ones though.

you just named team achievements, some of you guys are starting to sound like chicago blackhawks fans that argue jonathan toews is better than crosby because he has more cups

rodgers has 2 mvp's and might have a 3rd in 2 weeks, plus a super bowl mvp

manning has 5 mvp's which is a league record, super bowl mvp, and every passing record

Agree completely he isn't as good as manning,brady,rodgers. Anyone saying he is as good is blind or retarded. But he is still a good QB and in the past was a very good QB. I think he is past the point of being a absolute stud and carrying his team to a championship. Now 5 years ago he would have games where he was every bit as good as anyone that has ever played the game. Problem is he was always good for 3 what the f*ck games as well. He has been consistently inconsistent. which is what keeps him from being in that top group of the best of the best. He is in my opinion similar to Favre, great at times but also so-so at times. Less consistent than the top guys. Now I think the days of him playing at that level are pretty much gone. To many hits and father time have made him a little less than what he was in his twenties. So now his top level is very good instead of great. One negative is he hasn't developed more consistency with age.

I have to admit, those of you who think he is a 1st ballot hall-of-famer are off target. His longevity and career stats will get him in the Hall. However, no one should ever include him in the diiscussions with guys like Brady or Montana. These guys never performed like Ben has these last two games with so much at stake.

Agree he needs one more super bowl to be a first ballot HOF and at this point he probably won't get it. But he will also find himself in canton at some point. Del fails to recognize that there are different level of HOF QB's. You have the Montana brady level and the bradshaw level.

He's the best he Steelers have and he's average. The Steelers need to start thinking about drafting a replacement for #7. If he's too brittle to run a QB sneak from the one foot line, then it's time to start thinking about replacing him. In the meantime the Steelers better continue to upgrade their D because they're not going to get to the championship level again largely on the the strength of #7's ability....he's just not a premier QB any longer. On any given day he can be either very good or poor.

Where does he rank? How many current NFL starters would you trade him for? 15? 20?

Where does he rank? How many current NFL starters would you trade him for? 15? 20?
Rank when? Since the launch of the NFL? Given his age and inconsistency, right now I'd take Brady, Ryan, Rogers, Luck, Carr, Prescott, Newton or Wentz. I'm sure the Steelers would take any of those guys too. Like many others in the various threads on the board have stated, Ben's a second tier guy whose better days are behind him. Doesn't even have the gonads to call a QB sneak! His play in this year's playoffs confirm his slide. Since the third Q of the Miami game he's been the epitome of average. And as we speak the pool of talent in the NFL at QB is the height of mediocrity.

Why? Stats better than Elway, Super Bowls, more than Marino, same as Manning, more than Rodgers.
unlikely he ends up ahead of rodgers, he has played a lot more season's. Can't compare stats from different generation. Andy dalton will likely end up with more yards and td's than elway and marino. No one is going to confuse andy dalton with one of those guys. I think Ben is a HOF QB but I don't think he is a first ballot, of course it will depend who else is up when he is. One more SB and he is a first ballot guy. Or 3 more pro bowl type of years would likely do it as well.

Reactions: BFo8
Rank when? Since the launch of the NFL? Given his age and inconsistency, right now I'd take Brady, Ryan, Rogers, Luck, Carr, Prescott, Newton or Wentz. I'm sure the Steelers would take any of those guys too. Like many others in the various threads on the board have stated, Ben's a second tier guy whose better days are behind him. Doesn't even have the gonads to call a QB sneak! His play in this year's playoffs confirm his slide. Since the third Q of the Miami game he's been the epitome of average. And as we speak the pool of talent in the NFL at QB is the height of mediocrity.

Yes given his age you would take a bunch of younger guys that can play for your team for the next 10 years instead of 2 or 3 more. Just like the colts chose andrew luck instead of manning doesn't make luck as good as manning. If I had to win one game or even for one season right now my choices ahead of Ben would be brady, ryan or rodgers. Thats it ben would be fourth bag on Ben about being inconsistent but Newton and wentz were all over the place this season far worse than Ben. Luck hasn't been super consistent either. Prescott has played one season. lets see him play more than one season, a season where he was top seed and lost at home in the playoff's if ben did that you would be all over him. Prescott wasn't good in the first half I guess he will never be good:rolleyes:

what makes you think he would do that? what receiver has brees had that is as good as antonio brown or hines ward?

what running back has he had that is as good as bell or even willie parker?

ben has 6 touchdowns in his last 7 playoff games, he had 3 touchdowns and 4 interceptions this year

25 touchdowns and 24 interceptions in his playoff career

i think he is very overrated and is living off a few good games he had in the 2005 playoffs, not including the super bowl where he was arguably the worst player on the field

ben has 6 touchdowns in his last 7 playoff games, he had 3 touchdowns and 4 interceptions this year

25 touchdowns and 24 interceptions in his playoff career

i think he is very overrated and is living off a few good games he had in the 2005 playoffs, not including the super bowl where he was arguably the worst player on the field
The Ben sycophants on this board refuse to acknowledge the facts!

WTF? It's the PLAY CALLING! Ben has never been on any team that was committed to an all out air attack every game.

They can't commit to an all out air attack because #7 is an error prone bonehead. When you put the game in his hands, he just makes more mistaes. His TD to interception ratio in playoff games is about 1:1. Won't even run a QB sneak- put a skirt on him!

They can't commit to an all out air attack because #7 is an error prone bonehead. When you put the game in his hands, he just makes more mistaes. His TD to interception ratio in playoff games is about 1:1. Won't even run a QB sneak- put a skirt on him!

No, it's just not their "way".

You're just an idiot with your FATHEAD hate posts. If you really like the Steelers and really understand the NFL, you'll be savoring the last days of good football until Ben leaves and the bottom drops out.

Unless you're trolling us, we've been eliminated from the wild card race TODAY if that is true.
Nope. He said he's considering all options and hasn't ruled out retirement. Said it on The Fan and its starting to hit the news outlets. Stated that he's not committed to 2017 yet and he's not sure if they'll be a next season. Sounds like he's trying to say some changes need to be done with the team more than anything.

Last edited:
Well, time to suck. I guess it was nice making the playoffs while it lasted. I guess the Penguins will be the only winner in Pittsburgh anymore :-(

Nope. He said he's considering all options and hasn't ruled out retirement. Said it on The Fan and its starting to hit the news outlets. Stated that he's not committed to 2017 yet and he's not sure if they'll be a next season. Sounds like he's trying to say some changes need to be done with the team more than anything.

I bet the Steelers were contemplating letting Brown go or trading him and that rubbed Ben the wrong way.

He'll play for at least two more years. Likes taking some headlines after Brady made him look rather pedestrian. Dude's a beast. But, he's always one for the drama.

Ben just said on his radio show he's considering retirement.

If that's the case, Ben should tell his teammates that this next season is his last (and have Harrison make it his last too) It would really give this team some bigger purpose for getting to and winning the SuperBowl, the way they it gave a bigger purpose when Bettis decided he was retiring.

Well, I guess you know what they say... If you can't him, "evaluate your options" and back him up in New England. Beats retirement and, uh, Ben might get another ring too.

To me, it'd be hard to see him retire considering he'd be leaving $46+ million on the table. But if he does, that'd be tough to get over. He's been the face of this team since 2004 and it's been a fun ride watching him play.

Steelers should look to draft a QB right now. Ben's just giving them a heads up here. They'll have a few years to groom the next one.

If he doesn't retire they should resign everybody and bring in top free agents at positions of need and blow out the salary cap! Who cares, they're going to suck after he's gone either way, THE FUTURE IS NOW!

Sadly, the DuMFuK Rooneys aren't smart enough to think that way.

Delpanther has to be pretty optimistic now! FATHEAD might be gone!

There was also something that leaked saying Steelers are concerned Antonio Brown's personal goals are getting in the way of his team goals. Considering he has one year left, what are you suppose to make of that???

I think Ben comes back, but he's clearly mad about the BS in the locker room. He grew up with leaders like Hines and Bettis and instead he's stuck with Bell and Brown who work hard but are not what you call a locker room leader.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT