ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers off to a great start

A good coaching strategy after the kickoff would have been to load up against the run up the middle. If they surprise you and pass you have to deal with it, but most teams in that scenario will run the ball.

Pittsburgh is poorly coached. BLOW IT UP!

This D has 4personnel issues. Heyward and Watt are pro-Bowlers, most of the rest are below average. They aren't bad enough to be awful or benched but they aren't good enough to stop anyone. Watch V Williams. He makes one or 2 plays a game. Every other play he is giving us nothing. He's the worst tackling Steeler LB in 50 years and he's mediocre at best in coverage but he can get to the QB on occasion. Most of the others are of similar quality.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
Why punt ?
For all who think Tomlin is a great coach, please explain the logic of that decision.
He is one of the worst game time decision maker in the nfl. Down 12 with 9 minutes left and your d has already given up 42 points your not stopping them twice on three and outs and that is basically what they would have needed. You go for it on 4th and 3

A good coaching strategy after the kickoff would have been to load up against the run up the middle. If they surprise you and pass you have to deal with it, but most teams in that scenario will run the ball.

Pittsburgh is poorly coached. BLOW IT UP!
Yeah.
Not sure why Tomlin isn't on the hot seat . Hmmmm ....
Cant quite put my finger on it ..

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Yeah.
Not sure why Tomlin isn't on the hot seat . Hmmmm ....
Cant quite put my finger on it ..

He isn't because he has never had a losing record in a season. But the Steelers need to tear down and rebuild. This defense is unacceptable and has been for far too long

Unless Keith Butler has someone veteran and high profile like Heyward on his side, he's a dead man walking.

I could easily see the Rooneys putting Bradley into that role, sadly.

But not till off season.

I had no issue with kicking it off or onsides kick last year at that point your defense sucks and either one is not likely. I absolutely go for it on the previous drive with 9 minutes left down two tds and having already given up 42 on the day. You cannot punt it was basically 50\50 to make the first down and very little chance of this defense getting two quick stops.

I think Tomlin will be gone as well
I really don't think so, and don't think Tomlin would warrant it anyway. He's done fine overall, in context of everyone but Belichick. But this defense is horrid, even considering that most defenses in the league are now.

I really don't think so, and don't think Tomlin would warrant it anyway. He's done fine overall, in context of everyone but Belichick. But this defense is horrid, even considering that most defenses in the league are now.

You'll see

And ultimately year after year who's fault is that ?

Tomlin won't be fired at the end of this season. Butler might and should be.
Steelers organization values stability and tradition. I can actually see them keeping Butler out of concern over to much assistant turnover.

Unless Keith Butler has someone veteran and high profile like Heyward on his side, he's a dead man walking.

But not till off season.

God I hope not. Watching his defense at UCLA last season they always looked unprepared and seemed out of condition. He should never be considered for anything above a position coach at a level higher than the FCS.

MIke this was a Steelers disaster.
Maybe you should start actually managing the team/players. coaching the team, establishing some basic level of discipline, and let the players know you're the coach and you're not happy with their performances.
Unless you are?
Don't want to challenge them?
Hate getting in players faces?
Those are all the things you should be doing Mike!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett

Reactions: PittPoker
God I hope not. Watching his defense at UCLA last season they always looked unprepared and seemed out of condition. He should never be considered for anything above a position coach at a level higher than the FCS.
Off to a bad start in Pittsburgh too. Artie Burns had many lapses last year, especially in that playoff game. He has regressed so ridiculously bad this year though. It is almost unfathomable how pathetic he was today. He seriously might have been beat on every single play of that football game.

On top of that, numerous times guys thought help would be there and there wasn’t. It never got better as the game went on either, they were confused all day. Yeah it was one game but a guy that has never coached at this level and his calling card in college was his recruiting skills, pretty concerning for his unit to look so pathetic and helpless.

Reactions: 303vND
Off to a bad start in Pittsburgh too. Artie Burns had many lapses last year, especially in that playoff game. He has regressed so ridiculously bad this year though. It is almost unfathomable how pathetic he was today. He seriously might have been beat on every single play of that football game.

On top of that, numerous times guys thought help would be there and there wasn’t. It never got better as the game went on either, they were confused all day. Yeah it was one game but a guy that has never coached at this level and his calling card in college was his recruiting skills, pretty concerning for his unit to look so pathetic and helpless.

A little ominous considering they face a red hot Ryan Fitzpatrick on the road next week.

Reactions: Pittx9
They should have traded Lev Bell and got some help for their defense. That has been the problem for awhile.
No one wanted him because they knew they would have to pay him a huge contract or he might not show up. They should have put the tag on him that allowed him to get another contract and they matched or got a 1st rounder or just cut ties. They could have gotten the best FA ILB and one of the top safety's for what they have into bell. They miscalculated that he would show up. If he doesn't come back till week 10 you really don't want him there anyhow. I think they asked for and received a 2 week exception which means if he shows up in week 10 they can push that back till week 12. Might as well keep him deactivated at that point.

But not till off season.
Bradley should not be coaching anywhere let alone the NFL...he’s a bum. That’s the issue with the Steelers too comfortable and nepotism.

Dungy seems to think it’s a coaching problem on D the combination of Bradley and Butler is awful. Killer Bs

“It’s bad, and it has nothing to do with Le’Veon Bell not being there,” Dungy said. “The defensive side of the ball — missed tackle after missed tackle, blown coverages, guys running wide open, no discipline on defense.

Dungy seems to think it’s a coaching problem on D the combination of Bradley and Butler is awful. Killer Bs

“It’s bad, and it has nothing to do with Le’Veon Bell not being there,” Dungy said. “The defensive side of the ball — missed tackle after missed tackle, blown coverages, guys running wide open, no discipline on defense.
Dungy’s quote unfortunately is spot on.....

Bad look for sure. Right now.

Long season, maybe just starting slow.......it happens
Maybe

This D has 4personnel issues. Heyward and Watt are pro-Bowlers, most of the rest are below average. They aren't bad enough to be awful or benched but they aren't good enough to stop anyone. Watch V Williams. He makes one or 2 plays a game. Every other play he is giving us nothing. He's the worst tackling Steeler LB in 50 years and he's mediocre at best in coverage but he can get to the QB on occasion. Most of the others are of similar quality.
They aren't bad enough to be awful or benched but they aren't good enough to stop anyone.... Color me silly, but I always thought the definition of "awful" for NFL defenders was not being good enough to stop anyone...

A little ominous considering they face a red hot Ryan Fitzpatrick on the road next week.
They should open the game with Ben in no huddle and the 2 minute drill and play like they are down 21-0 and need a TD right away

They should open the game with Ben in no huddle and the 2 minute drill and play like they are down 21-0 and need a TD right away
That's definitely how he wants to play and not far off from how they tried to play from the outset. Problem was, he was as cold as the defense to start, with 3 straight 3 and outs, also with the fumble that the penalty bailed him out on that should have set them back by 28. So him playing gunslinger is no panacea either

Might just be the year with the changing of the guard in the AFC. Maybe the Steelers just are not that good, or just not that well coached.

61 passes is a ridiculous amount of passes for Roethlisberger to throw.

That's definitely how he wants to play and not far off from how they tried to play from the outset. Problem was, he was as cold as the defense to start, with 3 straight 3 and outs, also with the fumble that the penalty bailed him out on that should have set them back by 28. So him playing gunslinger is no panacea either
Any better alternatives? I feel like piling up as many points as you can is the best thing to do, I don't expect to stop anyone to be honest. Ben is not perfect, but he's better that at least 25 other QBs, defense is your weakness, so basically I don't want to rely on them, shortening the game and keeping it close is like a death sentence IMO, I'd rather go down swinging. The strength is Ben, the weakness is the defense, given a choice I'd put the game in Ben's hands.

Might just be the year with the changing of the guard in the AFC. Maybe the Steelers just are not that good, or just not that well coached.

61 passes is a ridiculous amount of passes for Roethlisberger to throw.
The defense made almost no stops, they played half the game behind at least 2 TDs.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT