ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers vs Packers

So the post season only matters for one team then?

Your take here is as bad as the people who claimed the regular season was made irrelevant if Pitt never got to the final four.
No I’ve been consistent on this. If the fanbase can’t be sold on hope of a title or to even make a run, then what’s the use? And with this team, if you have hope or think there’s any chance to do anything, then you’re gullible.

(I don’t mean you, I mean fans in general).

Now, someone can say to me that tournaments are important for recruiting, at which point I will yield. But in the NFL, you’re better off losing before you get to the playoffs instead of keeping a facade going.

That’s fair. I’m not saying they’re winning anything, but they should at least make the postseason. The offense has eight weeks to figure it out because the defense can give them a chance to upset someone in that 3-4 seed range.
I’m starting to lose faith in the offense. I accepted it for what it was because I figured they’d gradually get better. There are no signs of this passing game evolving. If anything it’s regressing. I really thought by week 9 we’d see signs of improvement.

I’m starting to lose faith in the offense. I accepted it for what it was because I figured they’d gradually get better. There are no signs of this passing game evolving. If anything it’s regressing. I really thought by week 9 we’d see signs of improvement.
They’ve at least developed an identity running the ball, but the passing game has done nothing to take advantage of it. Just no consistency or rhythm whatsoever.

I think the only optimism to cling onto at this point is that Freiermuth will return at some point. Have to hope that extra element will allow them to break through, though I’m not banking on it.

Reactions: Chaos and Fk_Pitt
They’ve at least developed an identity running the ball, but the passing game has done nothing to take advantage of it. Just no consistency or rhythm whatsoever.

I think the only optimism to cling onto at this point is that Freiermuth will return at some point. Have to hope that extra element will allow them to break through, though I’m not banking on it.
The last two weeks, especially today, was the type of running game I expected to see this season. It's how Khan and Weidl constructed the team. Along with this, I expected the passing game to take a step forward by utilizing the middle of the field and taking more chances. Pickett is so locked in on one read and often seems to take his primary read no matter who else is open. It seems as it's by design to avoid turning the ball over so they can keep winning these close games.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I was just watching the Arizona/ Atlanta game for a bit

I swear the Arizona QB’s legs are shorter than his arms… look for yourself… is Murray 5’3”???

My lord. That TD that the lions just scored is so depressing. Exactly the kind of play that should be in our playbook with the running game going like it is. But even with Friemuth back, we’d never do something like that.

Detroit along with Miami have one of the best offenses out there

Period

It’s scheme and using motion and all that shit we don’t do. (Cough Canada cough)

Reactions: HailToPitt725
No I’ve been consistent on this. If the fanbase can’t be sold on hope of a title or to even make a run, then what’s the use? And with this team, if you have hope or think there’s any chance to do anything, then you’re gullible.

(I don’t mean you, I mean fans in general).

Now, someone can say to me that tournaments are important for recruiting, at which point I will yield. But in the NFL, you’re better off losing before you get to the playoffs instead of keeping a facade going.
So that’s basically about 28 teams every year that are better off losing?

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
So that’s basically about 28 teams every year that are better off losing?
A quick glance at the standings shows me that approx 11 fanbases might have hope to win a game or two or three.

The Steelers on the other hand have given up 36+ points in 4 straight playoff losses. There is no reason for any rationale person to have any hope that a playoff game will yield anything but significant anguish and heartache. Especially with this offense compounding that.

But if they can show improvement over the next 7 weeks, I can be fooled into having some hope.

Last edited:
The next Tom Brady in Tennessee throw for under 50% today, less than 200 yards, not TDs and an INT. I guess his HoF induction will have to wait.
Maybe we should hope he’s the next Eli Manning instead… he’s got the clutch gene at least. :oops:

F-xH_kjX0AAKTke

The same story every week. The middle of the field is wide open…. Canada never calls a play in the middle of the field. Why? Is it because he feels Pickett can’t throw an accurate pass in that area? I don’t understand….

F-xH_kjX0AAKTke

The same story every week. The middle of the field is wide open…. Canada never calls a play in the middle of the field. Why? Is it because he feels Pickett can’t throw an accurate pass in that area? I don’t understand….

Are you sure he’s not calling plays to the middle of the field? Or, is Kenny not throwing there? I honestly don’t know.

For as bad as the steeler passing game was today, there were 11 QBs with lower QB ratings than Kenny, including Watson, Jackson and Lawrence. And there were 12 better. And this seems to be exactly what Mike Tomlin wants. It’s got him to 6-3. But if he’s not careful, they’ll be 6-5 in two weeks and trending toward a 9-8 or 8-9 season.

i think today is as good as it gets. running game going well and check down roll out passes by KP, 13 receptions for 120 yards and hope our defense continues to get timely turnovers. 4 yard connections to Conner heyward in the flat..

i mean, this is what the steelers are. try to get the obligatory back shoulder receptiont to pickett in second half.. but yeah, this is it. beat bad teams 23-19 and get a wild card game where you'll get murdered in first rd by a real team. "Tomlin standard is the standard."

For as bad as the steeler passing game was today, there were 11 QBs with lower QB ratings than Kenny, including Watson, Jackson and Lawrence. And there were 12 better. And this seems to be exactly what Mike Tomlin wants. It’s got him to 6-3. But if he’s not careful, they’ll be 6-5 in two weeks and trending toward a 9-8 or 8-9 season.
On paper, the Steelers should finish 9-8.
at Cleveland - loss
at Cincinnati - loss
vs. Arizona - win
vs. New England - win
at Indianapolis - win
vs. Cincinnati - loss
at Seattle - loss
at Baltimore - loss

Given how the Steelers play, they'll probably lose at least one they shouldn't and win at least one they shouldn't. It will all balance out.

On paper, the Steelers should finish 9-8.
at Cleveland - loss
at Cincinnati - loss
vs. Arizona - win
vs. New England - win
at Indianapolis - win
vs. Cincinnati - loss
at Seattle - loss
at Baltimore - loss

Given how the Steelers play, they'll probably lose at least one they shouldn't and win at least one they shouldn't. It will all balance out.
I see them splitting with the Bungles, beating Baltimore again, losing to Cleveland(next week is their Super Bowl) and New England.

This is the case every week. "The field" has a few guys who played worse than Kenny. The problem is Jackson, Lawrence, etc. will go out and put on an all-pro performance next week, and we'll still be comparing Kenny to the few guys who had a worse game.

If Pickett went completely off every now and then, people would excuse these lesser stats games. But he's done nothing in two years to indicate he is capable of winning a game against a team that can actually put up points.

A quick glance at the standings shows me that approx 11 fanbases might have hope to win a game or two or three.

The Steelers on the other hand have given up 36+ points in 4 straight playoff losses. There is no reason for any rationale person to have any hope that a playoff game will yield anything but significant anguish and heartache. Especially with this offense compounding that.

But if they can show improvement over the next 7 weeks, I can be fooled into having some hope.
The Steelers on the other hand have given up 36+ points in 4 straight playoff losses...Which has absolutely nothing to do with any subsequent playoff games...Nothing.

I do think the NFL record for wailing and gnashing of teeth over a 6-3 football team who controls their own destiny in their division at 2-0 has been set...

Reactions: Chaos
The Steelers on the other hand have given up 36+ points in 4 straight playoff losses...Which has absolutely nothing to do with any subsequent playoff games...Nothing.

I do think the NFL record for wailing and gnashing of teeth over a 6-3 football team who controls their own destiny in their division at 2-0 has been set...
Except that we’ve seen this show before. So shame on anyone who sees the Steelers go 9-8 or 10-7 this year, and gets excited about a playoff appearance. Imagine all the yinzers waking up on playoff Sunday, putting on their retro Franco jerseys, goin dahn to the local giant eagle for their GameDay spread, picking up their iron city, working hard to get all the final details right, then sitting down in their soiled recliners for kickoff…and the steeler playoff run is all but over before the first iron city hits the bottom of the toilet.

This is the case every week. "The field" has a few guys who played worse than Kenny. The problem is Jackson, Lawrence, etc. will go out and put on an all-pro performance next week, and we'll still be comparing Kenny to the few guys who had a worse game.

If Pickett went completely off every now and then, people would excuse these lesser stats games. But he's done nothing in two years to indicate he is capable of winning a game within this offense against a team that can actually put up points.
Fixed

Reactions: lilspainishflea
F-xH_kjX0AAKTke

I think some of this is on KP but most of this is on Canada and coaching. Trubisky's and Big Ben's passing charts under Canada looked almost exactly the same, especially Trubisky's (sample game against the Browns in 2022).. For all of these QBs to throw to the exact same part of the field, it means that it's scheme/coaching. "Read this, if it's there then throw it or if not then check it down. Don't take a sack or turnover." The fact that it almost never happens, and I mean almost never, across 3 different guys means it's almost impossible to strictly put on KP.

Last edited:

If Pickett went completely off every now and then, people would excuse these lesser stats games. But he's done nothing in two years to indicate he is capable of winning a game against a team that can actually put up points.
Baltimore has put up points in nearly all of their games except when they played the Steelers this year.

If you're asking yourself if the reason KP doesn't utilize the Middle of the Field is his fault or scheme/Coaching

Cinci game 2022

New England game 2022

Cleveland game 2022

Tampa game 2022

Baltimore game 2022

Panthers game 2022

I haven't found every single game - missing the Jets from 2022 and Houston(only 5 attempts)/Jacksonville from 2023. But these look very familiar to me. Mostly short and to the sidelines, just like Kenny. This is what the coaches want.
This has been my biggest point. And in the game thread I mentioned it at least three times and no one responded for whatever reason. With the run game going as it is, I don’t understand not using the middle of the field in the passing game via play action. After screaming about it for the whole game, they finally did it ONCE in the 4th quarter. Kenny appeared to have Pickens on a crossing route but he checked down I think. So that might have been on Kenny, but I didn’t see an all eleven view to know for sure. But why they don’t do it more I don’t understand.

Canada just loves the sidelines, unless it's late in the 4th with the game on the line.

This has been my biggest point. And in the game thread I mentioned it at least three times and no one responded for whatever reason. With the run game going as it is, I don’t understand not using the middle of the field in the passing game via play action. After screaming about it for the whole game, they finally did it ONCE in the 4th quarter. Kenny appeared to have Pickens on a crossing route but he checked down I think. So that might have been on Kenny, but I didn’t see an all eleven view to know for sure. But why they don’t do it more I don’t understand.

It's such a problem for everyone. In the short term, yeah the Steelers are winning a few mostly close game against mostly only the pretty bad teams. But in the long term, they don't know if the OC or the QB is the problem, and Kenny isn't getting a second contract as a starter, either in Pittsburgh or anywhere else.

20 games in, I have no idea if Kenny is the guy or not. Literally none. Because the scheme makes him look like an off the street backup. It's complete malpractice to run your offense like this. At a minimum if the running game is working, they need to start calling more play action shots downfield. But we don't. We run the same **** whether we're having a good day or a bad day. It's completely insane.

Reactions: cliff777
It's such a problem for everyone. In the short term, yeah the Steelers are winning a few mostly close game against mostly only the pretty bad teams. But in the long term, they don't know if the OC or the QB is the problem, and Kenny isn't getting a second contract as a starter, either in Pittsburgh or anywhere else.

20 games in, I have no idea if Kenny is the guy or not. Literally none. Because the scheme makes him look like an off the street backup. It's complete malpractice to run your offense like this. At a minimum if the running game is working, they need to start calling more play action shots downfield. But we don't. We run the same **** whether we're having a good day or a bad day. It's completely insane.
I said it here yesterday. This game plan is as though they think Duck Hodges is their QB. It’s what teams install when they are starting their back up. And this one in particular is one in which they don’t think their back up has any arm strength. And that’s what is concerning. They see him in practice and we don’t.

Making the playoffs in the NFL is a success in my book. Just like making the NCAA tournament in basketball is a success.

I'm baffled every week by the Steelers' offense. I watch other teams, including those with bad QBs, and somehow receivers manage to get open. With the Steelers, even the completions are typically high-difficulty plays. I have no idea whether it's the route combinations, the receivers not getting separation, or Kenny just making the wrong read. And it's incredibly frustrating because the running game seems to be improving. If they had a remotely competent passing game, they'd be a very good team.

I said it here yesterday. This game plan is as though they think Duck Hodges is their QB. It’s what teams install when they are starting their back up. And this one in particular is one in which they don’t think their back up has any arm strength. And that’s what is concerning. They see him in practice and we don’t.
Honestly, asking a QB to throw sideline routes all day is harder than passing over the middle. The sideline acts like one giant defender. Yeah, there are more guys moving around the middle of the field but they don't take up nearly as much space.

Other problem is that even if they did want to throw over the middle, there is virtually zero hope that the O-line will provide time for a check-down. Of course, some teams run play action and fancy gimmicks like that to slow down the defense.

If you don’t think Pitt making the NCAA tournament in basketball is an accomplishment, then you are only cementing the fact that you are clueless about sports.

Dude, context matters. You said that constitutes a successful season. Do you think Pitt's rock fight and first round exit against Wisconsin was a successful season? Was it a successful season when we lost in the 2nd round as a 1-seed? Obviously last year was successful.... for where we were at that point in time. If Kansas had the same season we did, do you think that would be considered a success? If Pitt gets ousted in the round of 32 the next five seasons, that obviously stops becoming a success.

Making a blanket statement like that is knowing nothing about sports.

Or maybe more likely, its the best game plan Canada is capable of designing. More than one analyst has reviewed the Steeler offense and described it as middle-school level. Dan Orlovsky mentioned on ESPN this morning the Steelers run 4-5 basic plays. Below is link to article quoting a former Steeler and GB TE about the offense and the lack of coaching to get players to understand concepts. Not saying KP is blameless, but the root of all Steeler offensive evils is Canada.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...er-matt-canada-matt-lafleur-locked-on-packers

Dude, context matters. You said that constitutes a successful season. Do you think Pitt's rock fight and first round exit against Wisconsin was a successful season? Was it a successful season when we lost in the 2nd round as a 1-seed? Obviously last year was successful.... for where we were at that point in time. If Kansas had the same season we did, do you think that would be considered a success? If Pitt gets ousted in the round of 32 the next five seasons, that obviously stops becoming a success.

Making a blanket statement like that is knowing nothing about sports.
Yes - every year Pitt made the NCAA Tournament it was a success. 2016-2022 in basketball and this year in football should have shown you how close we are to having the bottom fall out. It doesn’t take much.

Yes - every year Pitt made the NCAA Tournament it was a success. 2016-2022 in basketball and this year in football should have shown you how close we are to having the bottom fall out. It doesn’t take much.

Okay, and the guy who is now on his deathbed looks back and thinks every day was a gift if you want to take the cheesy Hallmark angle. But the day he had diarrhea, got left by his wife, was bitten by a raccoon, and ended up passed out at a bar in Crafton sure sucked at the time.

Success is contingent upon expectations. Period. Each season is its own entity... but not to a point where the big picture ought to be disregarded either.

Okay, and the guy who is now on his deathbed looks back and thinks every day was a gift if you want to take the cheesy Hallmark angle. But the day he had diarrhea, got left by his wife, was bitten by a raccoon, and ended up passed out at a bar in Crafton sure sucked at the time.

Success is contingent upon expectations. Period. Each season is its own entity... but not to a point where the big picture ought to be disregarded either.
We are a lot closer to Rutgers in basketball than Duke. Just about every person would view Rutgers or Pitt making the NCAA Tournament a success except some delusional fans in each respective fanbase.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT