ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers vs Packers

We are a lot closer to Rutgers in basketball than Duke. Just about every person would view Rutgers or Pitt making the NCAA Tournament a success except some delusional fans in each respective fanbase.

From 2001 - 2014, we were a lot closer to Duke than Rutgers, actually.

If the Kansas City Chiefs somehow end up in the wild card game this season and lose it, only you and Mike Tomlin would call it a successful season.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
We are a lot closer to Rutgers in basketball than Duke. Just about every person would view Rutgers or Pitt making the NCAA Tournament a success except some delusional fans in each respective fanbase.
Heather Lyke deemed last years football team as a failure. Is she dilusional? Or does she have the correct perspective?

Reactions: FireballZ
Heather Lyke deemed last years football team as a failure. Is she dilusional? Or does she have the correct perspective?
20 wins over 2 seasons, including an ACC championship is as good as it is going to get. My reasoning is based on 40 years worth of attending games.

From 2001 - 2014, we were a lot closer to Duke than Rutgers, actually.

If the Kansas City Chiefs somehow end up in the wild card game this season and lose it, only you and Mike Tomlin would call it a successful season.
For a 10 year span inside of that period, it was Duke, Kansas, Pitt and Gonzaga. That was the list in order. No one had a better winning % or won more games. Duke in the ACC, and Kansas in a weaker Big12, and Gonzaga in their mid major conference. Pitt did it in the greatest conference in the history of mankind.

And that’s why early loses to Butler, Wichita St and Wisconsin in the years that followed were failures of season.

Georgia under Mark Richt:

8-4
13-1
11-3
10-2
10-3
9-4
11-2
10-3
8-5
6-7
10-4
12-2
8-5
10-3
10-3

... and then they fired him. But their record was pretty damn good with him, and he was better than the guy before him and the guy before that. Heck, just eyeballing their history - he might have had their highest winning % of all time as of the time he left. Should they have just been content with him? They seem to be doing okay ever since making a change.

Cherry picking? No, that's consistent with my argument that expectations and success go hand in hand and are fluid. You're measuring results from 20 years ago by today's standards.
A longer timeline is more accurate.

Pitt’s most talented team also happened to be the team that made the Elite 8. The other teams were not overly talented.

How many 1st round draft picks did Pitt have outside of Adams?

Georgia under Mark Richt:

8-4
13-1
11-3
10-2
10-3
9-4
11-2
10-3
8-5
6-7
10-4
12-2
8-5
10-3
10-3

... and then they fired him. But their record was pretty damn good with him, and he was better than the guy before him and the guy before that. Heck, just eyeballing their history - he might have had their highest winning % of all time as of the time he left. Should they have just been content with him? They seem to be doing okay ever since making a change.
You are comparing UGA football to Pitt.
😂😂😂

Reactions: UP_WarStreets21
You are comparing UGA football to Pitt.
😂😂😂

No, I'm comparing Georgia football to Georgia football. Where do you see Pitt mentioned in that? You're the only person who thinks that success is a blanket measurement, so it's kind of funny you don't see the irony in your (inaccurate) criticism.

So long timelines matter now? You just told me making the playoffs = a successful season in the NFL. So the team with six Super Bowls and 33 playoff appearances should be happy with merely that?
Are you trying to compare College Football where the deck is stacked to the NFL where there is parity and the worst team gets rewarded?

Are you trying to compare College Football where the deck is stacked to the NFL where there is parity and the worst team gets rewarded?

No, I'm trying to compare your statement from ten minutes ago to the one from 40 minutes ago. It's seems to be changing more than an Oregon uniform combination.

For what it's worth, I do think making the playoffs this season would be a successful season for the Steelers... if and only if it's part of an upward trajectory for this franchise. We're not far enough removed from success that playing ultra-conservative Tomlin Ball and sneaking in at 10-7 only to be in contention to do the exact same thing next season makes either of those seasons a success. It's only a success if they start playing real football and it's a rung on the ladder of Pickett's evolution.

No, I'm trying to compare your statement from ten minutes ago to the one from 40 minutes ago. It's seems to be changing more than an Oregon uniform combination.

For what it's worth, I do think making the playoffs this season would be a successful season for the Steelers... if and only if it's part of an upward trajectory for this franchise. We're not far enough removed from success that playing ultra-conservative Tomlin Ball and sneaking in at 10-7 only to be in contention to do the exact same thing next season makes either of those seasons a success. It's only a success if they start playing real football and it's a rung on the ladder of Pickett's evolution.
The 70’s Steelers Super Bowl happened because they sucked so bad that they were able to draft a franchise QB first overall and then stack additional good players in the draft. They did the same later on with drafting Big Ben after a bad season. You can build a good team through the draft in the NFL.

You have the “haves” and “ have nots” in college sports. Pitt basketball isn’t one of the “haves. We greatly overachieved from 2002-2012. The simple fact that Pitt made so many NCAA Tournaments and advanced to the Sweet 16 should have been celebrated. But instead people like you kept moving the bar to unrealistic heights.

The 70’s Steelers Super Bowl happened because they sucked so bad that they were able to draft a franchise QB first overall and then stack additional good players in the draft. They did the same later on with drafting Big Ben after a bad season. You can build a good team through the draft in the NFL.

You have the “haves” and “ have nots” in college sports. Pitt basketball isn’t one of the “haves. We greatly overachieved from 2002-2012. The simple fact that Pitt made so many NCAA Tournaments and advanced to the Sweet 16 should have been celebrated. But instead people like you kept moving the bar to unrealistic heights.

goal-post-moving.gif

Question for you all: If the Steelers make the playoffs, draw a favorable matchup, win, and then lose the next game, would you all consider the season a success? Because I could see that happening. The Steelers are toast any time they play a team that protects its QB well. But against teams with mediocre pass blocking, they've been known to cause chaos and win ugly. They haven't gotten lucky in that regard during their last few playoff appearances.

Question for you all: If the Steelers make the playoffs, draw a favorable matchup, win, and then lose the next game, would you all consider the season a success? Because I could see that happening. The Steelers are toast any time they play a team that protects its QB well. But against teams with mediocre pass blocking, they've been known to cause chaos and win ugly. They haven't gotten lucky in that regard during their last few playoff appearances.

To me, they're ultimately measured in championships. Crazy or not, it's what 50 years of success has bred.

On a micro level, sure - that's a success, because this QB has never done that. But I'd rather see them open it up and have Pickett make major strides but fall short of the playoffs than weasel their way into the playoffs playing the brand of football they are now, which comes with a very distinct ceiling. If Pickett throws for 300 yards and has a quality QBR the next 8 games but they come up a game short of the playoffs, it's a better building block than playing Tomlin Ball and ultimately being someone's sacrificial lamb in the playoffs.

They're like a 6'3" kid dominating Single A WPIAL basketball while playing in the post. Sure, I guess you can beat Avella that way. But you'll never get to the next level being a 6'3" post player.

Yes

a playoff win, im counting that as a win, a good season and feeling MUCH better about 2024 with Kenny having a playoff win under his belt..

i'll still want Canada's head on a silver platter though.

Finishing 9-8 and making a wildcard (only to lose) is “success” at least in comparison to being 8-9 and missing it.

But that’s it.

In fact in the bigger picture, it’s failure, and a recipe for repeated failure.

Lose the wildcard is one failure

Having to pick 21st in the first round again the following year is a second failure

But the biggest failure of all is that they WON’T replace Canada if this happens.

To me, they're ultimately measured in championships. Crazy or not, it's what 50 years of success has bred.

On a micro level, sure - that's a success, because this QB has never done that. But I'd rather see them open it up and have Pickett make major strides but fall short of the playoffs than weasel their way into the playoffs playing the brand of football they are now, which comes with a very distinct ceiling. If Pickett throws for 300 yards and has a quality QBR the next 8 games but they come up a game short of the playoffs, it's a better building block than playing Tomlin Ball and ultimately being someone's sacrificial lamb in the playoffs.

They're like a 6'3" kid dominating Single A WPIAL basketball while playing in the post. Sure, I guess you can beat Avella that way. But you'll never get to the next level being a 6'3" post player.
I don't think the offense can open up under Canada. I think he's adequate at coordinating a run game. His strategy in the passing game and the concepts they run, however, are simple even by college football standards and are at least partly why receivers are never open in this offense. Tomlin absolutely deserves the blame for hiring someone as unqualified as Canada is for the position of OC, but it's not like every OC he has hired has been as bad at coordinating a modern offense as Canada is.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Yes, because the new standard for this team is to finish above .500 to keep Tomlin's record in tact. A playoff win is just a bonus. A playoff win is nearly unheard of. Tomlin's teams have only won a playoff game in 4 of his 16 full seasons as head coach. That's terrible.

Reactions: FireballZ
I'm glad sports don't leave me as miserable as they leave some of you all lol.

9-8 to me is no different than 8-9. It’s one bounce of the football. Whether you make the playoffs or not, it’s the epitome of mediocrity and no one remembers mediocrity.

And let’s remember, this is a 3rd place schedule. So if they finish 9-8 and squeeze in, is it more of an accomplishment than beating out another 9-8 team like the Bills who played a 1st place schedule?

But win a wildcard game with a passing game that throws for 250 yards and makes an effort to throw the ball down the field, yeah that could be a successful season. Afterall this franchise doesn’t win playoff games anymore.

It doesn't make me miserable. I just recognize it's not a good record.
I get it. I just don't understand why we have to bring up the second half of Roethlisberger's career every time the Steelers are mentioned on this board. They underachieved. I get it.

We have to hope Pickett emerges either in the second half of this season or next season, and that we can contend while he's still on his rookie contract. Saying Tomlin sucks 10 million times isn't going to magically transform the Steelers into a Super Bowl contender.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT