ADVERTISEMENT

Support Opening The Golf Courses - Sign The Petition!

PittFamily2

Sophomore
Mar 11, 2018
I signed the petition to open the golf courses.
Golf is as safe as being at home, in your home.

Maybe safer than being at home if you go outside, walk around the block and talk with neighbors at the end of their driveways as you walk.

Here's the golf process that will be deployed.

1. Call the course get a t time, pay over the telephone, if you use a cart it will be waiting for you near the first tee which you will ID by the cart #.

2. One person in a cart which makes no sense for spouses or those who live together so I'm sure that will change.

3. Maintain distance on tees. There will be no ball washers near the tee's so bring something to get that done. A bottle of water and a small sponge works great. The sponge cleans off and dries better than a towel so its useful the entire round.

4. Cups are raised 1/4-1/2 inch, flags are pulled ( for those of you in Pittsburgh that means no flags), play to the green, putt to the raised cup the ball bounces off the raised cup. Most courses paint the cups white so they will be visible. A lot are using the down time to re-paint cups not knowing how long this process will be required.

Maintain distance on greens.

I played to raised cups last week it works great considering the situation.
Most can see the white part of the raised cup from 100 - 120 yards out if the terrain is flat.
If you cant just play to the middle of the green the cup cant be far away.

Actually many pros teach that to mid - handicappers play to the middle of the green- the pin wont be far away and as you get better you can pin hunt.

At this point golfers just want to get out and hit the ball.

5. Maintain distances on fairways and rough.

6. Golf courses naturally create separation of 100's of yards due to the nature of the game.

7. Drop you stuff off at your car when you finish.

8. Leave the cart in front of the club house.

9. Walk directly to your car and go home.

10. Golf courses have spray washers, so they'll wash and disinfect the carts with the spray washers.

Repeat the process.

Golf turns out to offer more separation from others than a walk in the neighborhood or park.

Last edited:
Shoot in high 80s and unless I’m real close, I aim for middle of green. Anything 70 yards or more, I just want to be on.

Simple mind games but you start worrying about breaking the green down in quarters and aiming to small, above your skill set, you end up blading one and shooting an eight.

I am finally getting to the point of thinking out some of these shots and not trying too be to cute. Like a par 5, instead of trying to hit a perfect 3 wood, I’ll just focus on getting witching 50 yards of green on 2nd shot. Give yourself an easier chip and two putt and walk out with a par.

I’ve tried to stick it in 2 so many times only to hit a terrible shot and next thing you know you are laying 2 and still 200 yards out and all heck breaks loose.

Reactions: PittFamily2
Not sure why pins are pulled. Pins should stay in. Just no pulling them out using the high cup. What some clubs are doing now is just turning the cup upside down so the cup I about 1/2 in deep.

Shoot in high 80s and unless I’m real close, I aim for middle of green. Anything 70 yards or more, I just want to be on.

Simple mind games but you start worrying about breaking the green down in quarters and aiming to small, above your skill set, you end up blading one and shooting an eight.

I am finally getting to the point of thinking out some of these shots and not trying too be to cute. Like a par 5, instead of trying to hit a perfect 3 wood, I’ll just focus on getting witching 50 yards of green on 2nd shot. Give yourself an easier chip and two putt and walk out with a par.

I’ve tried to stick it in 2 so many times only to hit a terrible shot and next thing you know you are laying 2 and still 200 yards out and all heck breaks loose.

My brother is a 7 handicap. He and his friends pin hunt. As they say you'll never be a single digit handicap unless you can hit pins. But the rest of their games is also real good.

I'm a 14-15 handicap. My brother and his friends say one way to stay in that range consistently is to hit your approach shots to the middle or solidly on the green since the pin will be close, work on the putting and easy chip shots since those shots are easier to improve than tricky uphill/downhill shots out of rough around the green.

They watch 14's for example go for a pin on the edge of an elevated green, the ball bounces off the green into rough or maybe sand, they are now laying two shooting three out of high rough or sand uphill to a downhill pin location and will probably get a six.

Had they hit the ball somewhere on the green for their second two easy putts for a par -worst case five or maybe an easy chip shot and a putt.

Smart golf!

Last edited:
Not sure why pins are pulled. Pins should stay in. Just no pulling them out using the high cup. What some clubs are doing now is just turning the cup upside down so the cup I about 1/2 in deep.

Because some idiots are going to pull them no matter what the rules are.

Last edited:
Because some idiots are going to pull them no matter what the rules are.

Either way its probably not a giant issue since golfers wear golf gloves too.

The raised cups work well.

We trialed them last week at our club some guys can see them from 150 yds since they're 1/2 raised and painted white. I could see them from 120 and one blind olld guy with us couldn't see them from 50 yds but that's another story. We have to point him in the right direction sometimes...

He's a terror at the driving range when he faces the parking lot.
But he golfs.

Nobody golfs anymore. Its not 1992.
You bite your tongue.

I am curious though about younger people. Not the millennials but the next one, whatever we call them. People in that 15-20 age group. I’m curious if they golf as much as we did at that age.

I play in Conklin and they have styrofoam in the cup with the pin. The ball goes halfway down and you pick it out.

You bite your tongue.

I am curious though about younger people. Not the millennials but the next one, whatever we call them. People in that 15-20 age group. I’m curious if they golf as much as we did at that age.

Generation Z, and no they probably won't be a golfing generation. I on the
other hand am a golfer as are many of my friends. It's a dying game though.
It takes time and it's not for the instant gratification younger set.

Yeah, it’s a time consuming hobby. Most people work during week so maybe you are lucky and can get nine in after work but hard to do unless you are a single guy.

On the weekend, at a local public course, it’s a 5 hour adventure, probsbly more if you include time u leave house til time u walk back in. Not many of us have an open6 hour window on a Saturday and Sunday.

Yeah, it’s a time consuming hobby. Most people work during week so maybe you are lucky and can get nine in after work but hard to do unless you are a single guy.

On the weekend, at a local public course, it’s a 5 hour adventure, probsbly more if you include time u leave house til time u walk back in. Not many of us have an open6 hour window on a Saturday and Sunday.

LOL....well, you explained it pretty well IMO.

Golfers disappeared, course managers mistakenly increased pricing to make up for the shortfall, pace of play slowed because the courses didn't want to chase people away and more golfers disappeared.

Golf courses forgot that they are a fixed cost business and the approached the golfer shortfall from the wrong end.

On any given day a course has + or - one or two a person at the desk, the pro shop, the maintenance crew, costs to maintain the grounds for the day, the bar, a few servers, whether you have 10 people or 1,000 the manning and costs dont change for the day-much.

The objective should to charge the max price that loads the course up for the day.
Not a high price that chases golfers away.

Some courses in our area are setting special low nine hole rates to attract golfers to play nine quickly for a reasonable price.

Like ski lift tickets that you can purchase by the ski run, a few golf courses are experimenting with pay by the hole like play five or six holes.

A country club in our area runs a number of six hole leagues during the day and after work.

Last edited:

We've played at 6 am on Saturdays for the past 30 years. Don't need to anymore because the kids are grown, but its just a habit. Nice to be home by 10:00, but I need a nap these days if we went out on Friday night.

We've played at 6 am on Saturdays for the past 30 years. Don't need to anymore because the kids are grown, but its just a habit. Nice to be home by 10:00, but I need a nap these days if we went out on Friday night.
My neighbor does this. First group out in Sunday’s Insane hour.l but he’s home by 9:30am.

we will be drinking on a Saturday night and he will be like, you want to go golfing tomorrow? I’ll pick u up at 5:30.” I’m like, no thanks

My neighbor does this. First group out in Sunday’s Insane hour.l but he’s home by 9:30am.

we will be drinking on a Saturday night and he will be like, you want to go golfing tomorrow? I’ll pick u up at 5:30.” I’m like, no thanks
I have belonged to two golf clubs that did not have tee times. This was a great way to cut down on wasted time waiting for your time.

By the way, the proposal in the original post is more than fair and realistic. As long as you keep it to one person per cart and go with the raised cup idea I don't see a problem.

When the season gets going Mrs Buffett and I have a 6:27am t time along with 8 or so others who start at 6:06.

We all play 18 right around 3 hrs. Its couples, and singles, some walk most ride I walk and carry my bag even though I'm almost 70. We all get there and go out in 2's and 3's.
It's nice to play efficiently and get home.
Only drawback it's a little wet for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I have belonged to two golf clubs that did not have tee times. This was a great way to cut down on wasted time waiting for your time.

By the way, the proposal in the original post is more than fair and realistic. As long as you keep it to one person per cart and go with the raised cup idea I don't see a problem.

I'd love to join a club and not to have to worry about tee times, but I worry about the financial stability of clubs today. At least the ones I'd be able to join, I couldn't afford Fox Chapel or Oakmont. I guess there are deals to be had, but I don't want to risk an initiation fee that I may not be able to get back.

I'd love to join a club and not to have to worry about tee times, but I worry about the financial stability of clubs today. At least the ones I'd be able to join, I couldn't afford Fox Chapel or Oakmont. I guess there are deals to be had, but I don't want to risk an initiation fee that I may not be able to get back.

Except for the three top clubs in our area that are mega Corp membership expensive places all other very nice mid range clubs have waived the the initiation fee , or club bond to attract new membership.

Everything has a downside and an upside for someone.

Existing members who had to pay those fees aren't happy, but hopefully it will keep the clubs in business so existing members dont lose their deposits or membership bonds.

In our area golf has ticked back up a bit with full leagues, more kids, teens and women.

Mrs Buffett's is full with 60 women and has a waiting list, my open league is down a few players and the senior league is full with a waiting list.

Courses have finally lowered membership fees and greens fees.

More group lessons have started up like the old days

Except for the three top clubs in our area that are mega Corp membership expensive places all other very nice mid range clubs have waived the the initiation fee , or club bond to attract new membership.

Everything has a downside and an upside for someone.

Existing members who had to pay those fees aren't happy, but hopefully it will keep the clubs in business so existing members dont lose their deposits or membership bonds.

In our area golf has ticked back up a bit with full leagues, more kids, teens and women.

Mrs Buffett's is full with 60 women and has a waiting list, my open league is down a few players and the senior league is full with a waiting list.

Courses have finally lowered membership fees and greens fees.

More group lessons have started up like the old days

Any animosity from the older members towards the newer members who had their initiation fees waived? I could see that being a problem at some clubs, unless they accept the fact that that's what they had to do to survive.

A family member in their 20s just signed up for what I'd call a "mid range" club and it was, relatively, affordable. I was surprised how far down they came on price. Still a luxury, but I was surprised how much cheaper it was than I expected.

This is pretty much it for me. I used to play some golf years back but quit about 8 years ago because I travel 3 or 4 days a week out-of-town and when I'm home, I'm not going to use a big part of it on a golf course. Too much stuff to do around the house and I want to spend my free time with my wife, sons and grandkids. I"d like to pick up the game again when I retire, but it would have to be something where it wouldn't take 4 or 5 hours of my time to play it. If I could play it in 2 hours, that would be fine, like with 9 holes and be done with it.

I signed the petition to open the golf courses.
Golf is as safe as being at home, in your home.

Maybe safer than being at home if you go outside, walk around the block and talk with neighbors at the end of their driveways as you walk.

Here's the golf process that will be deployed.

1. Call the course get a t time, pay over the telephone, if you use a cart it will be waiting for you near the first tee which you will ID by the cart #.

2. One person in a cart which makes no sense for spouses or those who live together so I'm sure that will change.

3. Maintain distance on tees. There will be no ball washers near the tee's so bring something to get that done. A bottle of water and a small sponge works great. The sponge cleans off and dries better than a towel so its useful the entire round.

4. Cups are raised 1/4-1/2 inch, flags are pulled ( for those of you in Pittsburgh that means no flags), play to the green, putt to the raised cup the ball bounces off the raised cup. Most courses paint the cups white so they will be visible. A lot are using the down time to re-paint cups not knowing how long this process will be required.

Maintain distance on greens.

I played to raised cups last week it works great considering the situation.
Most can see the white part of the raised cup from 100 - 120 yards out if the terrain is flat.
If you cant just play to the middle of the green the cup cant be far away.

Actually many pros teach that to mid - handicappers play to the middle of the green- the pin wont be far away and as you get better you can pin hunt.

At this point golfers just want to get out and hit the ball.

5. Maintain distances on fairways and rough.

6. Golf courses naturally create separation of 100's of yards due to the nature of the game.

7. Drop you stuff off at your car when you finish.

8. Leave the cart in front of the club house.

9. Walk directly to your car and go home.

10. Golf courses have spray washers, so they'll wash and disinfect the carts with the spray washers.

Repeat the process.

Golf turns out to offer more separation from others than a walk in the neighborhood or park.
Great idea. What’s your plan for protecting the minimum wage workforce that’s doing all that sanitizing and prepping for you? Or their families that they have to go home to? Or the coworkers they have to work with and around, and share surfaces with, to do their jobs?

Here’s a better idea-Just shaddap already. You couldn’t be more tone deaf if you didn’t have ears.

Reactions: Ski11585
I found the old guys on every public course to be absolutely miserable.

Just watch the ticks. They’re bad this year.

Indeed. I grew up in the swampy Florida Panhandle where ticks were far worse than up here. I used to come home from a scouting trip to find ticks on top of ticks. I don't know how I didn't end up with Lyme disease as a youngster. Much more vigilant these days.

Reactions: pittdan77
Great idea. What’s your plan for protecting the minimum wage workforce that’s doing all that sanitizing and prepping for you? Or their families that they have to go home to? Or the coworkers they have to work with and around, and share surfaces with, to do their jobs?

Here’s a better idea-Just shaddap already. You couldn’t be more tone deaf if you didn’t have ears.
You really think taking their means of gainful employment away is helping them more? Yes, let’s take away everyone’s job for months and months and give them 1200 bucks as a thank you.

im sure they prefer that over a job.

You really think taking their means of gainful employment away is helping them more? Yes, let’s take away everyone’s job for months and months and give them 1200 bucks as a thank you.

im sure they prefer that over a job.
And full pay unemployment insurance
Ya forgot that step

I get it you’re anxious -
As more and more companies are realizing hr is redundant.
maybe 1 corporate person to push through the workday tasks to the people who actually make the decisions

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT