ADVERTISEMENT

This is a demographics post, not a political one.

ChiefJusticeMarshall

Freshman
Gold Member
Jun 14, 2020
But it does fit. It is amazing, but college football, outside of a couple of enclaves is a red state thing. Pro football is a blue state thing. Again, I am not saying political beliefs as to demographics, but it does fit. College football represents rural America's chance to be relevant in the sporting arena. The cities for the most part, already are represented with pro teams.

Pro football isn't a blue or red state thing. The NFL is a cultural institution that is massively popular across the country. Crappy Thursday night games between awful teams get better ratings than huge NBA or NCAA football games.

College football is definitely a culturally red state thing for the most part.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Pro football isn't a blue or red state thing. The NFL is a cultural institution that is massively popular across the country. Crappy Thursday night games between awful teams get better ratings than huge NBA or NCAA football games.

College football is definitely a culturally red state thing for the most part.
Yes, you are right there. Perhaps I should have said, outside of a few, schools in deep blue areas have no chance in this new environment.

But it does fit. It is amazing, but college football, outside of a couple of enclaves is a red state thing. Pro football is a blue state thing. Again, I am not saying political beliefs as to demographics, but it does fit. College football represents rural America's chance to be relevant in the sporting arena. The cities for the most part, already are represented with pro teams.

No pro teams in Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, Arkansas, West Virginia, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa, etc.

Georgia, Louisiana, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Florida have the youngest NFL franchises so they had well-established college fanbases before they got a pro one. Its really that simple.

Eh.

I think it makes more sense just to say college football is becoming southern-centric.

Michigan (blue) just won the national championship against Washington (blue). Georgia (blue) is the class of college football. USC (blue) and Oregon (blue) are no slouch programs. The Cowboys (red) are America's team (at least in their own minds). Browns' fans (red) are about as loyal as anyone. The Chiefs (red - Taylor Swift pun not intended) have got it going on as much as anybody. And so forth.

As we've always known, the schools in the middle of nowhere have a big advantage. More land = bigger campuses and more alum, and they're not competing with a whole lot for the locals' entertainment dollars and attention spans.

Reactions: pittdan77
Eh.

I think it makes more sense just to say college football is becoming southern-centric.

Michigan (blue) just won the national championship against Washington (blue). Georgia (blue) is the class of college football. USC (blue) and Oregon (blue) are no slouch programs. The Cowboys (red) are America's team (at least in their own minds). Browns' fans (red) are about as loyal as anyone. The Chiefs (red - Taylor Swift pun not intended) have got it going on as much as anybody. And so forth.

As we've always known, the schools in the middle of nowhere have a big advantage. More land = bigger campuses and more alum, and they're not competing with a whole lot for the locals' entertainment dollars and attention spans.
Atlanta is blue, like Pittsburgh and Philly. But the west of Georgia is as red as can be. USC is a special exception, it has the history and in the second largest market in the country. Plus, they haven't been subservient to the local NFL team. Oregon and UW have some high priced tech guys and Phil Knight. And again Michigan is blue there...but the rest of the state red. It's like saying Penn State is blue, when it is in the middle of Pennsyltucky.

Reactions: Shomeydamonee
Atlanta is blue, like Pittsburgh and Philly. But the west of Georgia is as red as can be. USC is a special exception, it has the history and in the second largest market in the country. Plus, they haven't been subservient to the local NFL team. Oregon and UW have some high priced tech guys and Phil Knight. And again Michigan is blue there...but the rest of the state red. It's like saying Penn State is blue, when it is in the middle of Pennsyltucky.

Also USC is barely on the radar in LA. They draw fans when they are winning due to the shear number or people that live there. Pitt has more of a market penetration in Pittsburgh than USC does in Los Angeles.

And yea, Georgia is very deep red besides Atlanta and the nearby suburbs.

Well red/blue towns vs red/blue states is a bit of a different argument and one that I'd agree with. It's always been tough for city teams to matter in college athletics, with the exception of a few. Nebraska, on the other hand, could be 6-6 for the next 20 years and still draw 4.5% of the entire state population each week.

No pro teams in Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, Arkansas, West Virginia, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa, etc.
I disagree. They just weren't officially recognized as such. These teams have been cheating and paying placers for decades. That's why they're good.

I disagree. They just weren't officially recognized as such. These teams have been cheating and paying placers for decades. That's why they're good.
If some of those schools been "cheating for decades", and no doubt they haven't, they have been doing it wrong. Look, everyone cheated. Including Pitt. I am not talking about just the glory days. But if you don't think even in the 90's and 2000's that Pitt athletes weren't receiving nothing more than a scholarship, room and board, I am afraid I got some baaaaaaad news for you. It might not be anything like it is today, but there were perks.

The fact that city schools have difficulty competing for fans is not something new here. It has been discussed many times. That is the basis of your point and the state thing is irrelevant.

The fact that city schools have difficulty competing for fans is not something new here. It has been discussed many times. That is the basis of your point and the state thing is irrelevant.
It was a figurative statement, which I thought you would be smart enough to understand. I was wrong. You are just an effing idiot.

Wisconsin is now blue. Illinois is blue. Colorado is blue. California Oregon and Washington are very blue. Soon PA will be very blue.

The NFL should be compared to no other sporting entity. It is its own powerful entertainment economy with customers all over the planet that come in all shapes sizes colors etc.

It was a figurative statement, which I thought you would be smart enough to understand. I was wrong. You are just an effing idiot.
I was smart enough to see that you are raising a point that is old as time itself while trying to be "aha, look what I figured out."

What point are you trying to make. Aren’t just about all large metropolitan cities big time blue in just about every state, whether it be a red or blue state?

Last night I watched a show about Sherman's march to the sea. Made me think about CFB and how Pitt needs a Sherman as coach. Someone who cares only about winning.
The Confederates placed crude land mines along some of the roads. Sherman had the rebel prisoners walk in the front. That's how you win.

What point are you trying to make. Aren’t just about all large metropolitan cities big time blue in just about every state, whether it be a red or blue state?
The point I am making, it gives those in rural areas a "big time" sports entity to root for and contend. I mean Alabama has no pro teams. Nebraska. OK has the Thunder. Mississippi, West Virginia, Arkansas, Kentucky, so any resource by big money sports fans, these rich guys who aren't owners of pro sports teams now become defacto "owners" of these college programs.

Also USC is barely on the radar in LA. They draw fans when they are winning due to the shear number or people that live there. Pitt has more of a market penetration in Pittsburgh than USC does in Los Angeles.

And yea, Georgia is very deep red besides Atlanta and the nearby suburbs.
I live in Georgia… ATL, Macon, Savannah basically anywhere where it’s a city are blue. Everything else which includes a lot of rural areas is red. Then you get the weird areas that produce MTG who won because her opponent dropped out after threats emerged.

Last night I watched a show about Sherman's march to the sea. Made me think about CFB and how Pitt needs a Sherman as coach. Someone who cares only about winning.
The Confederates placed crude land mines along some of the roads. Sherman had the rebel prisoners walk in the front. That's how you win.
Did a certain shoe cobbler hack your account?

Well done.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I live in Georgia… ATL, Macon, Savannah basically anywhere where it’s a city are blue. Everything else which includes a lot of rural areas is red. Then you get the weird areas that produce MTG who won because her opponent dropped out after threats emerged.
Don't forget everyone's favourite father figure Herschel Walker. UGA definitely producing some great scholars and thought leaders.

Don't forget everyone's favourite father figure Herschel Walker. UGA definitely producing some great scholars and thought leaders.
UGH---A. Get it?? LOL. Look loved him as a RB, think he might have been the best college RB of all, but my god it was an embarrassment that he ran as a Senator.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Did a certain shoe cobbler hack your account?

Well done.
No, it's me.
The south hates Sherman to this day. He killed far less people than Grant. He just completely destroyed the south's ability to fight war. He focused on destroying property and not killing more soldiers. He knew if the rebel armies couldn't eat and couldn't resupply, they would give up in the 4th quarter.
The closest CFB coach to Sherman was Harbaugh. He had an entire espionage network going. This is why the north won the playoff this past year.
While we have General George McClellan as coach.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan

Georgia, Louisiana, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Florida have the youngest NFL franchises so they had well-established college fanbases before they got a pro one. Its really that simple.
Oklahoma City Thunder....

Wisconsin is now blue. Illinois is blue. Colorado is blue. California Oregon and Washington are very blue. Soon PA will be very blue.

The NFL should be compared to no other sporting entity. It is its own powerful entertainment economy with customers all over the planet that come in all shapes sizes colors etc.
Wisconsin is purple. Pa is purple. Far far from being very blue.

Human shields... How delightful! Just like Hamas. Something to be really proud of.

Human shields... How delightful! Just like Hamas. Something to be really proud of.
It wasn't illegal back then. The Confederates then stopped using landmines. And those are illegal now too.
And the Union Army had just encountered an abandoned CSA POW camp with mass graves and where the POWs were digging into mud by hand to get shelter and were starving to death. The rebs were also hanging the corpses of POWs in trees along the route of the march.

Not to mention that Sherman's army liberated thousands of slaves who then followed them on the march. In a similar circumstance, who would General Johnston have had out front?

You have to use the rules you play under to your advantage in order to win. By most historical accounts, Sherman saved many lives by hastening the end of the war.

There is still a billboard off of 95 in SC outside of Hilton Head, exit 28, calling Sherman a traitor and bigot.
Leftover from the war of Northern aggression. Coosawatchie low country road. Some are still pissed off at the general.

Things would be much different in this country today if statues of William T Sherman, Ulysses S Grant and Abraham Lincoln were placed in all towns in a properly reconstructed south.

• Haha
Reactions: pierre93
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT