ADVERTISEMENT

Tier 1 on the line today

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Although no specific criteria, I dont believe the ACC would allow an 8-5 Coastal champ to fall out of Tier 1. If we lose, its possible that we would fall out of Tier 1.

Root against Syr, GT, NC State, and VT next week.

If things break right, we could even end up in Orlando vs WVU but honestly, their offense makes me puke. As someone else said, I'd rather watch my kid play Madden. He hung 100 on somebody last week.

Although no specific criteria, I dont believe the ACC would allow an 8-5 Coastal champ to fall out of Tier 1. If we lose, its possible that we would fall out of Tier 1.

Root against Syr, GT, NC State, and VT next week.

If things break right, we could even end up in Orlando vs WVU but honestly, their offense makes me puke. As someone else said, I'd rather watch my kid play Madden. He hung 100 on somebody last week.
Wtf
That’s harder than Chinese arithmetic .....

I’m rooting for Pitt.
And Maryland

Like to Keep it simple stupid

Sec and big are always going to have the best because they have large alumni bases that travel.
Agreed. That’s why I think bowls should be forced to take teams based on rankings...get rid of the conference tie-ins altogether.

Agreed. That’s why I think bowls should be forced to take teams based on rankings...get rid of the conference tie-ins altogether.
This would never fly. Bowls are a way for sponsors and cities to make money. If given the option, they will take the school that travels the best.

Reactions: fairgambit and BFo8

This would be nice. Even if it wasn't purely based on rankings, I would like to see a pool of teams that bowls can select based on prestige. A snake draft for bowls could make for decent TV.

Final 4 aside, the bowls are not about the best teams. They're about money and ratings. National names that travel well guarantee lots of both. Nothing will change that.

This would never fly. Bowls are a way for sponsors and cities to make money. If given the option, they will take the school that travels the best.

How else should we dictate how sponsors spend their money?

Final 4 aside, the bowls are not about the best teams. They're about money and ratings. National names that travel well guarantee lots of both. Nothing will change that.
Yes, I understand that the bowl games are all about dollars. However I was just stating what I think should be done to make the bowls interesting

Past the playoffs games and a couple others, the main interest in the bowl is that the better ones usually have better days and time slots. It's less appealing to have Pitt in a bowl on Wed afternoon on Dec 27 or whatever vs a prime time game. But other than that, it's a bowl and it's better than the alternative.

Past the playoffs games and a couple others, the main interest in the bowl is that the better ones usually have better days and time slots. It's less appealing to have Pitt in a bowl on Wed afternoon on Dec 27 or whatever vs a prime time game. But other than that, it's a bowl and it's better than the alternative.

I love when Pitt has a December 27, Wednesday afternoon bowl game. I am always off that week. :)

I personally enjoy SMF bowl information that he provides. Also enjoy his TV posts.

Consumers always influence how companies spend money. Manufacture some internet outrage and they'd change their spending habits.
Problem is even when you make a certain segment angry you may be making an alternative, possibly more economically desirable, segment happy.

For example a company like Belk, fixing its namesake bowl to have a Cakalacky team in it every year whether deserving or not, will make more of its most likely consumers (people who shop in their stores that proliferate that region) happy ... vs people far far far away in Pittsburgh or Syracuse NY ... why would Belk care if we're angry at being passed over?

For example a company like Belk, fixing its namesake bowl to have a Cakalacky team in it every year whether deserving or not, will make more of its most likely consumers (people who shop in their stores that proliferate that region) happy ... vs people far far far away in Pittsburgh or Syracuse NY ... why would Belk care if we're angry at being passed over?

I would not be disappointed if Pitt was passed over by the Belk Bowl for a more exciting location such as Orlando, Nashville, or New York City.

I personally enjoy SMF bowl information that he provides. Also enjoy his TV posts.

I do too, but losing faith rapidly in his bowl info. Apparently his pronouncement that Pitt couldn’t fall to Detroit or Shreveport was incorrect.

Reactions: paulbl99
I do too, but losing faith rapidly in his bowl info. Apparently his pronouncement that Pitt couldn’t fall to Detroit or Shreveport was incorrect.

If we have a loss today lots possible right?

I would not be disappointed if Pitt was passed over by the Belk Bowl for a more exciting location such as Orlando, Nashville, or New York City.
The issue is that by barely qualifying for eligibility most years, we usually don't get those either. Detroit, Maryland, el Paso Tx tend to be our prizes... because we're not a sizable or travel-happy enough fanbase for most of the sponsors of bowls in desirable cities to clamor for us, over equal or even worse teams.

Other than continue winning, to make it a tougher decision, not much more we can do about it though.

Does Syracuse winning impact pitt and their chances? Even if we win today and lose to Clemson they would be ranked higher with 1 less regular season loss. Would they get Orlando or Nashville over us?

If we have a loss today lots possible right?

Not sure actually, I know very little about these things and basically rely on what other people say.

I did see one guy has Pitt vs Eastern Michigan in Detroit, which would be about as deflating as you can get. Can’t imagine many would be traveling to that one.

Hopefully we win today and it doesn’t come to that.

Not sure actually, I know very little about these things and basically rely on what other people say.

I did see one guy has Pitt vs Eastern Michigan in Detroit, which would be about as deflating as you can get. Can’t imagine many would be traveling to that one.

I would be okay with the heather lyke bowl as it gives us a W

I would think USC beating ND tonight would be bad for Pitt going to Orlando.

Don’t think they will as USC is in tank mode, but they certainly have the talent. Huge coaching disadvantage though.

Is it a given the pinstripe will go to Syracuse as they just played there a few weeks ago? Or is BC a possibility there. For a crappy view, I enjoyed the NYC bowl

I would be okay with the heather lyke bowl as it gives us a W

You never know, would be a very highly motivated (and decent) EMU team against a Pitt squad that probably
wouldn’t really want to be there.

I ran a simulator called “Typical Pitt”....
500,000 times and it came out
Pitt v Eastern Michigan

I mean if that possibility exists go to your book and drop 100 on it for me.....

I ran a simulator called “Typical Pitt”....
500,000 times and it came out
Pitt v Eastern Michigan

I mean if that possibility exists go to your book and drop 100 on it for me.....

I will make the line right now.

If it’s a 7-6 Pitt team going into that game I will make Pitt about a 9 point favorite.

What should happen is that the NCAA should take full control of its post-season by eliminating privately-owned bowl games. Then, the NCAA could put out bids to any city who wants to host an NCAA bowl game. Guess who would bid?

Jacksonville
Nashville
Yankees
Lions
Orlando
Tampa
Etc

The only difference would be the NCAA would own the games and slot teams based on merit

Why are we fussing?
I thought the key to Pitt becoming successful was playing soft teams. I mean, that’s what I’ve been reading here since the Unc game
We should be hoping the Acc sends us to Detroit;)

Is it a given the pinstripe will go to Syracuse as they just played there a few weeks ago? Or is BC a possibility there. For a crappy view, I enjoyed the NYC bowl

Well, they won't take Pitt for the 2nd time in 3 years. I imagine the Pinstripe will want Syr, Miami, or VT.

The 2 bowls Pitt has absolutely no shot at is the Belk and Pinstripe.

The way Pitt is playing today, we shouldn't go to any bowl. We have done NOTHING today on either side of the ball.

If freakin' Miami, a less than mediocre team, is doing this to us, what is Clemson going to do? Miami isn't very good and we're getting manhandled.

If freakin' Miami, a less than mediocre team, is doing this to us, what is Clemson going to do? Miami isn't very good and we're getting manhandled.

Mediocre team maybe, definitely not mediocre talent.

You never know when Miami is going to show up to play, today they have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT