ADVERTISEMENT

Update: Russell Wilson signing with Steelers per Schefter

This franchise is doomed to suck. You play the young guy you drafted in the 1st round. If he blows, at least you know you need to move on. Getting and playing a 36 year old qb and letting him take over, just sets back the franchise as long as he is here. They need to find a franchise qb, they can't afford to wait as long as they took to find Big Ben. Nothing against Russell, but all he would do is delay the process they must get through.

I would agree if this was a young team. I think they’d do well to focus on getting the most out of the team they have in the next 2-3 years. This is a team that is a QB, a quality center, and another top receiver away from being a competitive playoff team. I’d love to see what an efficient veteran QB with a great arm can do with this offense.

As for him being a malcontent, I think Tomlin is probably the perfect fit for him given he’s a total players coach.

I would agree if this was a young team. I think they’d do well to focus on getting the most out of the team they have in the next 2-3 years. This is a team that is a QB, a quality center, and another top receiver away from being a competitive playoff team. I’d love to see what an efficient veteran QB with a great arm can do with this offense.

As for him being a malcontent, I think Tomlin is probably the perfect fit for him given he’s a total players coach.

Tomlin can't do much about his teammates hating the dude.

Wilson has been on the top of my bucket list all along. It’s a low risk, high reward signing… if he doesn’t perform well, you either cut him or bench him (on the vet min); if he somehow can return to MVP form, this team can win the Super Bowl.
Win a Super Bowl? Please tell me you are not serious? We backed in to the playoffs last year with 2 of the teams in the division playing without their quarterbacks. The only thing this will do is keep us slightly above average.

I have said this from the day Pickett was drafted, give him an NFL OC and we will see what he does.

Win a Super Bowl? Please tell me you are not serious? We backed in to the playoffs last year with 2 of the teams in the division playing without their quarterbacks. The only thing this will do is keep us slightly above average.

I have said this from the day Pickett was drafted, give him an NFL OC and we will see what he does.
I’m not giving up on Kenny; he deserves a fair shot without Canada.

With that being said, we made it into the playoffs with very poor QB play. Wilson threw for 26 TDs/8 INTs in a system that was a bad fit for him. That alone would’ve won us 2-3 more games last season.

Let him flourish in Arthur Smith’s offense and, yes I’ll say it, this is a Super Bowl contender.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
You know how they say "it's not your father's...." well hell. "It's not my Steelers". Since I was able to understand follow football, Dan Rooney was in charge and the Steelers were model franchise. Made few mistakes (Dan Marino maybe the biggest). Now? This group now, from ownership to scouts to management through the coaching staff, it is just another NFL franchise.
Worse than a typical franchise, a fossil frozen in he past, under centuries of sediment with no desire to fix anything.

So it’s a good move if we sign him and go from 10-7 to a losing record. Signing Russ Wilson will retard the team’ s progress. He is 35 and we will be back to looking for a QB In a couple of years. This is the year to play Kenny with a new OC and decent play calling. Find out once and for all.
Yeah, having a losing record or 2 could help this franchise, maybe put them in position to draft a real QB and some better talent, instead of pretending 9-8 or 10-7 is "winning".

I think what he said was correct. If Wilson comes to Pittsburgh and plays at an MVP level for the Stillers next year they absolutely are a Super Bowl contender.

Of course the chances that Wilson comes to Pittsburgh and plays at an MVP level for the Stillers are somewhat less than 0.0%, so there is that.

I think what he said was correct. If Wilson comes to Pittsburgh and plays at an MVP level for the Stillers next year they absolutely are a Super Bowl contender.

Of course the chances that Wilson comes to Pittsburgh and plays at an MVP level for the Stillers are somewhat less than 0.0%, so there is that.
It's too scary, too much of a risk, the "Steelers Way" is take no risk at all ever. In every aspect, free agency, the draft, offensive play calls, it's all ultra conservative, play scared, go cheap, "protect the ball" and the status quo, any change or anything new petrifies the Steelers, just do what grandpa did 50 years ago and hope for the best.

It's too scary, too much of a risk, the "Steelers Way" is take no risk at all ever. In every aspect, free agency, the draft, offensive play calls, it's all ultra conservative, play scared, go cheap, "protect the ball" and the status quo, any change or anything new petrifies the Steelers, just do what grandpa did 50 years ago and hope for the best.

I agree. The far better strategy would be to go all risk, all the time. Like draft players who actually stink in college, but are good athletes so maybe they can turn it around as a pro. Sign lots of free agents coming off devastating injuries to big money deals in the hopes that they can fully recover and be good players again. Find a quarterback who is willing to throw the ball into double and triple coverage all the time, because if the pass isn't intercepted it might go for a big gain.

No risk is too great. Even the ones that have almost no chance of panning out. Because almost no chance isn't no chance!

I agree. The far better strategy would be to go all risk, all the time. Like draft players who actually stink in college, but are good athletes so maybe they can turn it around as a pro. Sign lots of free agents coming off devastating injuries to big money deals in the hopes that they can fully recover and be good players again. Find a quarterback who is willing to throw the ball into double and triple coverage all the time, because if the pass isn't intercepted it might go for a big gain.

No risk is too great. Even the ones that have almost no chance of panning out. Because almost no chance isn't no chance!
You're being stupid, there's playing scared vs taking a reasonable risk, taking Russell Wilson for a fairly low salary is a reasonable risk, just like throwing a pass into the middle of the end zone on 1st and 10 from the opponent's 15 is a reasonable risk and these are things the play scared Steelers usually deem too risky most of the time. Can you tell me with certainty that signing Wilson or throwing that pass has no chance of panning out, what's the worse that would happen? a 10-7 record or a FG attempt.

This franchise is doomed to suck. You play the young guy you drafted in the 1st round. If he blows, at least you know you need to move on. Getting and playing a 36 year old qb and letting him take over, just sets back the franchise as long as he is here. They need to find a franchise qb, they can't afford to wait as long as they took to find Big Ben. Nothing against Russell, but all he would do is delay the process they must get through.

You're right. I never understood why Denver took on Peyton Manning.

You're right. I never understood why Denver took on Peyton Manning.
That a good one! Lol. That Denver defense was totally dominant. So much so that Manning, who barely could throw the ball 30 yards down field, was inconsequential. That's fine though, if you want to believe the Steelers defense is close to what Denver had. Other than an aging D-line, no linebackers who are healthy, and huge holes at safety and corner, we do still have Watt.

That a good one! Lol. That Denver defense was totally dominant. So much so that Manning, who barely could throw the ball 30 yards down field, was inconsequential. That's fine though, if you want to believe the Steelers defense is close to what Denver had. Other than an aging D-line, no linebackers who are healthy, and huge holes at safety and corner, we do still have Watt.
It’s almost as if you think Peyton only played one season in Denver.

You take Russell at league minimum and let him manage these young guns and let Kenny watch a pro and learn. Mitch was supposed to be that guy but he stunk up the place forcing them to start Kenny before his time with a horrible OC. This is a no brainer! Low risk/High reward! Make it happen!
That would be a great plan if the clock wasn't running out on Pickett. Not calling you out specifically but I think a lot of people fail to understand the economics of the situation. This is purely looking at the "numbers game" that surrounds the situation.

The Steelers invested a first round pick on Pickett. They have three options. First is to cut him and give up. Second is to consider him a cheap arm and make him the backup but signing Russell Wilson isn't the move you make if that's your plan. You go out and get one of the bigger money guys that can come in and win. There's also a salary cap issue that prevents that option because they spent a lot of money on underperforming players. Given that he hasn't been as horrible as the hyperbole surrounding him, the third, and most likely path, is to ride it out for another season, possibly two, until you have to decide on his option. If the team isn't a SB team now (it isn't), there isn't much danger in taking that path. If KP is as bad as his loudest detractors believe, you tank the season and get a favorable draft pick and part ways sooner. If, and I know this is really hard for some to believe, but if KP works out, he's still a cheap option for another two seasons and your patience is rewarded. Either way, you don't have the cap space to make a big splash and if we're all honest with ourselves, there isn't enough talent on the offense (right now) to justify another option. There are a lot of young guys and the OL is still a work in progress thanks to years of neglect. Many of the current cast of characters could improve but there are a lot of problems that need to be worked out. Hell, the club can't even be bothered to accommodate some very simple player needs to make itself desirable to big name FA's.

That would be a great plan if the clock wasn't running out on Pickett. Not calling you out specifically but I think a lot of people fail to understand the economics of the situation. This is purely looking at the "numbers game" that surrounds the situation.

The Steelers invested a first round pick on Pickett. They have three options. First is to cut him and give up. Second is to consider him a cheap arm and make him the backup but signing Russell Wilson isn't the move you make if that's your plan. You go out and get one of the bigger money guys that can come in and win. There's also a salary cap issue that prevents that option because they spent a lot of money on underperforming players. Given that he hasn't been as horrible as the hyperbole surrounding him, the third, and most likely path, is to ride it out for another season, possibly two, until you have to decide on his option. If the team isn't a SB team now (it isn't), there isn't much danger in taking that path. If KP is as bad as his loudest detractors believe, you tank the season and get a favorable draft pick and part ways sooner. If, and I know this is really hard for some to believe, but if KP works out, he's still a cheap option for another two seasons and your patience is rewarded. Either way, you don't have the cap space to make a big splash and if we're all honest with ourselves, there isn't enough talent on the offense (right now) to justify another option. There are a lot of young guys and the OL is still a work in progress thanks to years of neglect. Many of the current cast of characters could improve but there are a lot of problems that need to be worked out. Hell, the club can't even be bothered to accommodate some very simple player needs to make itself desirable to big name FA's.

WHY isn't Russell Wilson the move you make?

Edit: I'm not saying he is, I'm undecided. Just want to know your logic on why he isn't.

WHY isn't Russell Wilson the move you make?

Edit: I'm not saying he is, I'm undecided. Just want to know your logic on why he isn't.
Nothing wrong with bringing him in to fill the role that Trubisky had. He's not the move you make if you're aiming to win a SB right now. Denver is closer than the Steelers, to be honest, and they aren't keeping him. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

He’s not going to sign one year deal though. At least 2 but more likely 3.

Guy is on tail end of the career. So you are signing a declining 35 year old to a 3 year deal? A guy who is going to want a guaranteed starting role who doesn’t get along with coaches or management.

This isn’t as good as it sounds. People thinking you are going to get him for vet minimum for one year are out of their minds.
Yeah there's no way he signs for the vet minimum. His ego and future contracts are going to require he gets a basically market deal. The offset money from the Broncos is almost meaningless.

Yeah there's no way he signs for the vet minimum. His ego and future contracts are going to require he gets a basically market deal. The offset money from the Broncos is almost meaningless.
Then he's probably not the guy they're signing. It would be a mistake for the Steelers to sign him to anything bigger when they could go after better options.

i just think he'll require 3 year deal which i would hate. LEague vet minimum for one year, absolutely but no way in hell his agent or him would agree to that..

i guess we'll see..

The first year is basically free. The second year should be loaded with performance clause, some related to what he did year one. I could live with that.

I'm not sure anyone will give him a clean 3 year deal, I wouldn't, but I guess we'll see.

Nothing wrong with bringing him in to fill the role that Trubisky had. He's not the move you make if you're aiming to win a SB right now. Denver is closer than the Steelers, to be honest, and they aren't keeping him. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Really good posts (this one and the one before). Everyone seems to think Wilson will suddenly perform at the level he was at earlier in his career. IMO Rudy gives the steelers a better chance than Wilson. The infatuation with anybody but KP is amusing. It would be one thing if they were fawning over guys like Cousins who has played at a high level. Heck Id even Take Minshew over Wilson The other wish list QB Fields has done nothing to justify the hype over him as well.

He's still not blameless, 80% of the time he's been on the field he's played poorly, yes, he's had some great comebacks.
I never said he is blameless! When he was healthy he gave us the best chance to win. I am not a Wilson fan and there is a reason he is being courted to be a backup and Denver is willing to pay him to NOT be on the their team. He was lights out in '17 thru '21 but he is not the same player.

We will find out when free agency begins on the 13th if he is coming to the Steelers

Reactions: lilspainishflea
This harkens back to the day’s when Rooney’s grandpa ran the organization, and ran it into the ground.

Really good posts (this one and the one before). Everyone seems to think Wilson will suddenly perform at the level he was at earlier in his career. IMO Rudy gives the steelers a better chance than Wilson. The infatuation with anybody but KP is amusing. It would be one thing if they were fawning over guys like Cousins who has played at a high level. Heck Id even Take Minshew over Wilson The other wish list QB Fields has done nothing to justify the hype over him as well.
Thank you. None of that had to do with my feelings about KP. It's just the reality of the NFL. Any first rounder is going to get that treatment unless they are a total failure because of the economics of football. The part of the equation that everyone misses is that a "bad" KP had the team at 7-4 before he was hurt badly enough he had to miss games, so there is justification for the approach they're taking. A lot of the hyperbole ignores reality because without negativity, there isn't anything to talk or write about.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Thank you. None of that had to do with my feelings about KP. It's just the reality of the NFL. Any first rounder is going to get that treatment unless they are a total failure because of the economics of football. The part of the equation that everyone misses is that a "bad" KP had the team at 7-4 before he was hurt badly enough he had to miss games, so there is justification for the approach they're taking. A lot of the hyperbole ignores reality because without negativity, there isn't anything to talk or write about.
Yup I recognized it wasn’t a KP based argument. And regarding KP as I’ve said many times I understand and ageee with the concerns over his play. I think it’s wise to bring in legit competition. But Russel Wilson is not legit completion. You’re not signing him as a guy to compete. They'd be paying him a starter salary and imo that’s insanity. Same with fields who is as unproven and has as different but significant concerns like KP

IMO a Rudy or Minshew makes sense for the short term unless you go all in for cousins or a legit starter

Yup I recognized it wasn’t a KP based argument. And regarding KP as I’ve said many times I understand and ageee with the concerns over his play. I think it’s wise to bring in legit competition. But Russel Wilson is not legit completion. You’re not signing him as a guy to compete. They'd be paying him a starter salary and imo that’s insanity. Same with fields who is as unproven and has as different but significant concerns like KP

IMO a Rudy or Minshew makes sense for the short term unless you go all in for cousins or a legit starter
You're probably getting a QB room that is going to be boom or bust with KP. They just don't have the money. KP, a backup nobody wants to see, and a nobody FA. Would be shocked if Rudy or Minshew are signing contracts the club could afford. The bigger and more immediate need is getting the defensive half of the team settled. Nearly half of the defense (mostly backups) are unrestricted free agents. None of them are getting superstar money but they have to get that squared away while trying to upgrade a position or two. The offense is mostly under contract but we all know there is work to be done. This is what years of mismanagement looks like.

Mason Rudolph is so freaking bad. I feel like the whole world has been sprayed with a drug and I have a blood condition that somehow makes me one of the few who is immune to it. How do people not watch him play and just think, "Wow, this dude sucks."?

Please no more Mason Rudolph talk. I beg you all. I'd rather bring Jamarcus Russell out of retirement than bring him back.

Reactions: Pitt79
This harkens back to the day’s when Rooney’s grandpa ran the organization, and ran it into the ground.
you mean Art Sr?

you goin back about 70+ years. lets not forget Art Sr had the brains to hand over the reigns, power and decision making in very early 70's to his son Dan, who basically created a dynasty shorlty after..

yeah, dark times in the 50s and 60s i agree but Art Sr did figure out that his son was a genius.

Reactions: Schaef60
Mason Rudolph is so freaking bad. I feel like the whole world has been sprayed with a drug and I have a blood condition that somehow makes me one of the few who is immune to it. How do people not watch him play and just think, "Wow, this dude sucks."?

Please no more Mason Rudolph talk. I beg you all. I'd rather bring Jamarcus Russell out of retirement than bring him back.
Phew, you might not be wrong, but if that's the case then what does that say about incumbent starter who was essentially benched and outplayed by him?

Rudolph is terrible. He came in after a grossly incompetent Trubisky after which Pickett was somehow blamed .
It gets to the point where you have to shut off all radio and Tv because people are to put it mildly , dumb.
Mark Madden can say whatever he wants, make up lies and when called on it, cries like a baby.

Rooney is desperate to win a playoff game because the Steelers are a joke of an organization and when he goes to the league meetings he just doesn’t have any cache anymore. That’s the way it goes with billionaires. It’s not about the wealth but more about who has the best organization and team. I think Rooney must have woke up from a 3 year nap and realized that his head coach and GM have made too many mistakes. Perhaps in the past Rooney was all in because he had the great talent evaluator Mike T. That’s not the case. The Pickett situation is just more proof.

Rooney is desperate to win a playoff game because the Steelers are a joke of an organization and when he goes to the league meetings he just doesn’t have any cache anymore. That’s the way it goes with billionaires. It’s not about the wealth but more about who has the best organization and team. I think Rooney must have woke up from a 3 year nap and realized that his head coach and GM have made too many mistakes.
If any of that were true he wouldn't be negotiating with Tomlin for an extension.

Phew, you might not be wrong, but if that's the case then what does that say about incumbent starter who was essentially benched and outplayed by him?

I hear you. Not sold on Pickett either, and I don't see him being some huge investment that we need to nurture. 20th pick in the draft... big deal. The 49ers traded three 1st round picks (net of two when you count the one they got back to take Lance) and a third round pick for Trey Lance. Then they traded a second round pick for Jimmy G. If Pickett doesn't get a lot better quickly, I'm cutting bait and not doing one bit of second guessing myself.

I just know that the eye test tells me Pickett can do a lot of things that Rudolph cannot. They're still both below the league average, though.

If any of that were true he wouldn't be negotiating with Tomlin for an extension.
Exactly, Rainman Rooney is clueless, obsolete and autistic, he's not desperate to win, he thinks everything is fine as long as they run the ball more.

Let Wilson come to the Steelers and start. Then when he stinks, Kenny can come in and lead them to a comeback victory.

I think from Russel's perspective, it's probably a higher chance that he starts for the Steelers. Did Daniel Jones play the entire year last season? And I think Pittsburgh probably appears to have the better WRs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT